Lunch Report 9--1-16, HG-2, Experience?, Camping

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:57 am

Lunch today was from the cafeteria at work...  Patty melt with fries

G&L Topic:

I was looking at the advertising material that came with my SC-3 last night and I was thinking how it would be neat if the HG-2 made a return.  The HG-2 has a the more simple control circuit with a three way switch, a single tone control, and a volume control.  Then I started wondering how different this would be from the F-100 Return Edition which has a similar control set-up.  I know that people have commented that the old F-100 and new F-100 are quite different in their controls and with the new being quite bit darker in tone.  Does anyone out there have a HG-2 and tried or have a new F-100?  If so, how do they compare?  Where the HG pickups wound differently than the F-100?  Are there differences in the specs between the old F-100 and new F-100 pickups?  Given the choice between Two MFD buckers in a F-100 body or SC (Mustang) body, I know I'd pick the SC style.

Music Topic:

Live music for me isn't just the show.  It is what leads up to the show, the show itself, and afterwards are all part of the experience that make it an enjoyable experience.  For example, when I go to the free summer concerts at Independency Grove, a big part of the experience is meeting friends there and sharing a meal together before the show.  Add in the dancing and energy of the crowd with the performance and you have great experience.  The best performance may not always be the best experience - though I would suggest it would still be pretty darn good!  Probably one of the best live show experiences I've had was the Beat Farmers.  Saw them a Peeple's Bar and Grill in Ames, IA.  At the time I lived about 3 blocks away.  When we got close, I swear there had to be 2 blocks of motor cycles all for people who road in to see the Beat Farmers.  I'm actually guessing these were people who followed them around the country.  Never seen so many bikers in that bar - normally, it tended to be primarily a lot of people from the Greek system at school.  The stage had props that I probably cannot go into, so I won't.  One of the things that happens at Beat Farmer shows is the crowd throws beers at the band.  Not the bottles or can, but cause the beer to leave the vessel and direct it at the band.  Normally, it would be from cans or long neck bottles.  The band wasn't expecting it to be draft beer from wide mouth mason jars.  The place by the middle of the evening was soaked!  Once everything was soaked, came "camp fire" time.  So the band stopped and wouldn't play till everyone sat on the beer soaked floor.  Oh the horror in the faces of all the young ladies in the audience - but eventually everyone sat down and show continued in hootenanny fashion.  The music was sophomoric, raunchy alt country, cowpunk that  frankly I enjoy time to time.  Afterwards, we made it down stair with most the bikers and the band and partied till 6 in the morning at which time I walked home and went to bed.  It was crazy, in a fun way.  That was probably the most extreme live music experience I've had when you consider what happened before, during, and after the show.  Unfortunately Country Dick Montana passed away several years ago (on stage as I recall) so the Beat Farmers are no more.  Hard to imagine that these guys won a CMA Award and played the CMAs.  Any live show experience stick out for you?

Other Topic:

Any campers out there?  As a kid I used to camp a lot.  It was the main reason I was a boy scout - wasn't really interested in merit badges.  My family would usually camp a couple weeks each summer.  Started out with tents.  For few years we would rent a cabin for week at Backbone State Park in IA.  I loved trout fishing at Backbone as a kid.  Eventually my parents would get a pop-up camper (probably only camped a couple times with them when they had their camper).  I don't go camping nearly as often anymore, but I try to make out once a year though it typically is less than a week.  I'm still basically a tent camper.  I got the cast iron pans and Dutch oven for cooking in/over the fire.  White gas stove when I don't want to use the fire.  Don't fish anymore, quit once I had to start buying a license.  My wife was never really a camper, but she has developed a liking for it over the years.  I'm glad my kids have picked up the joy of camping.  So any campers out there?  If so, what kind of camper are you?

Peace, Dan

Re: Lunch Report 9--1-16, HG-2, Experience?, Camping

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Dan,

Leo-era humbuckers:

During the early discussions that led to the LE-2, I advocated for it to be an HG-1 built on a modern SC-2 platform. That didn't go anywhere with the factory. IIRC, the explanation was that it would require too much of an effort to recreate the pickups, and also that G&L wasn't interested in building any single-pickup guitars other than the Rampage.

I haven't had the chance to play an HG-2, but I earlier this evening I ran through a quick jam on the bridge pickups of my '81 F-100, G-200, Cavalier and ASAT III SSH (which has an HG-2 humbucker). That covered the four bridge humbuckers G&L used on guitars during the Leo era. I tried to record it, but my iPod was not up to the task and the recordings sounded terrible. Anyway, to my ears these are four different pickups with distinct sounds. With my rig (in this case playing straight into the second input of an early 1970s Champ, with flat EQ), the F-100 and ASAT have the brightest tone on tap, followed by the Cavalier and finally the G-200. Even though it sounds the warmest of the bunch to me, the G-200 is still far from being remotely "creamy". They all push the preamp equally hard.

I haven't measured the outside dimensions of the pickup covers, but the F-100 and G-200 pickups look identical. The HG-2 and Cavalier pickups are much narrower, and of course the Cavalier pickup is slanted.

Live shows:

That sounds like it was a great Beat Farmers show. I've never had the chance to get to a lot of live shows, but a few stick out in memory. I saw the Beach Boys at an amusement park in South Carolina back in 1978. I had never even heard of them, and wanted to be riding roller coasters, but my Mother dragged me to their show instead. Just as the second set began and thunderstorm rolled in. They walked off the stage, but maybe 100 of the audience (maximum) stayed in their seats in the rain. A minute later one of the band came out and said that if they had fans willing to wait in the rain, they would play in the rain. A couple of minutes later, after the road crew dragged their gear under cover, they came back out and played the rest of the show. It was quite an experience for my first real concert. I ended up for most of that set about ten feet from the band.

I took my sons to see Devo a couple of years ago to celebrate the last day of school. My youngest, who had just finished third grade, wore his energy dome. He caught Mark Mothersbaugh's attention during the first song, and Mark kept eye contact with him for several seconds. That's something my son will never forget, especially since he was already a big Devo fan at the time.

This summer the whole family went to see Barenaked Ladies in Baltimore. My sons, who are both BNL fans, had no idea we were going to see them. That show was amazing. Howard Jones opened with about a 30-45 minute set, but didn't play No One is To Blame. After that Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark played for about 90 minutes, and then BNL came on for one very long set. Early in their set Howard Jones came back on, and BNL played as his backup band for No One is to Blame. I think the entire concert including all three acts was nearly four hours long.

Camping:

I used to enjoy camping as a scout, but have only gone once or twice since high school. Growing up on the South Carolina coast my favorite was boat camping, which could either be anchoring and sleeping on the boat or beaching in an undeveloped area and pitching tents behind the sand dunes. I guess I could probably count my Navy time as a six-year boat camping trip too...

Thanks for pitching in with a week of Lunch Reports! You commented a couple of days ago about the effort it took. I would usually spend an hour or two on the Sunday before my week writing everything up in Word, and then copy/paste each day's report into a thread before I went to work. That made it a lot less time consuming for me.

Ken

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Sounds like a great show, Dan. I'm a big fan of small venues, the last couple of times I've seen stadium shows I've been completely underwhelmed, theres no connection in a venue that big, I've stopped going to them altogether. One gig that really sticks in my mind was seeing Dale Watson in this grimy laneway bar in Melbourne. He played there two nights, first night I went with the band I was with at the time, it was a great evening. The second night a friend scored free tickets to Bob Dylan who was playing a stadium show down the road. About 3 or 4 songs at the Dylan concert was all either of us could handle it was so bad, so we left and went to Dale Watson. It was a far better experience, even for me being the second night running, the show was very different to the previous evening as was the crowd. Dylan spoke not a word to the audience and chose to play all the guitar AND harmonica solos pretty badly despite having a kick arse guitar slinger with him. Watson didn't stop engaging with the audience - people were passing him beers and tequila shots all night, and his band were totally hot.

G&Ls - 2 MFD bucker in an SC2 would do for me too. They'd have to be small HG2 style ones, the F100 might look a bit clunky in that beautiful SC body.
KenC wrote:During the early discussions that led to the LE-2, I advocated for it to be an HG-1 built on a modern SC-2 platform. That didn't go anywhere with the factory. IIRC, the explanation was that it would require too much of an effort to recreate the pickups, and also that G&L wasn't interested in building any single-pickup guitars other than the Rampage.

LE-3 anyone? :scared0016: I'm totally down for an SC-1 with HG style pickup in it.

Camping- I plan on camping out at a music festival on this coming new years eve, my band are playing there on new years day so we have free tickets, and will be a good band piss-up! Last time I went camping was about 15 years ago with the friends of my girlfriend at the time, who I didn't get along with at all. It was the middle of winter, the weather was awful and it didn't end well. The tent flooded and ripped completely, I left it stuffed into the camp site bin. I don't know why I even agreed to go on that trip!

Great effort to get through a whole week of reports :thumbup:

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:06 am

KenC wrote:Even though it sounds the warmest of the bunch to me, the G-200 is still far from being remotely "creamy"

Could you post some shots of your control cavity? I've chased links looking for the "G-200 mod" for our F-100's, and I've yet to find schematics or instructions.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:25 am

Dan you are on a roll this week, great stuff! :happy0065:

I have never seen or played a HG model but have always been intrigued by this mysterious guitar. From your options I would go with the SC body. Blarg's "HG 1" would be interesting to me. Or, how about an ASAT HG 1? (being the ASAT fan I am)

Live music has always been the way to go for me. Like you, I want to get there early and see the people, the stage, any gear being moved around, then enjoy the show and maybe even after the show surprises. Here are a few show "experiences" I recall, some hazily. All the Grateful Dead shows I've seen were a combination of the show and the fans roaming around. Saw Squeeze in Charleston SC in early 90's, and the day after, I briefly met Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford walking down a downtown street in Savannah GA. Was kind of shocked to see them, but just said a quick Hi and I enjoyed the show. Another Savannah story was meeting David Copperfield on the floor of a Kiss show. He was between his own shows at a venue within the same building. Just another quick Hi and shake of hands. (he was much smaller and thinner than I expected, but to do his magic I guess you have to be smaller). Prior to seeing Frank Zappa in Memphis I was wandering around behind the small venue trying to see Frank in their band motorhome. Didn't see Frank, but a couple of band members did say Hi. Close to your next topic, camping, was going to the Delta Blues festival in Greenville MS in, was the "hazily" one. Don't recall who all played, but this show left a lasting impression on me for blues, outdoor festivals, the kindness of music fans, and oh yeah, moonshine. Guess that's what made that one hazy.

Shows on the calendar for me now are: Kansas with my oldest daughter this month, Blue Oyster Cult next month with friends, and surprising my son with tickets to Dream Theatre in December for his birthday. Others may pop up as well. :searching:

Have been camping a couple of times, and even have a 4 man tent, but never been a real fan of camping. These days, it has been putting the tent up in the back yard for my kids to "camp" with their friends.

TGIF! :banana:

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:44 am

KenC wrote:I saw the Beach Boys at an amusement park in South Carolina back in 1978. I had never even heard of them, and wanted to be riding roller coasters, but my Mother dragged me to their show instead. Just as the second set began and thunderstorm rolled in. They walked off the stage, but maybe 100 of the audience (maximum) stayed in their seats in the rain. A minute later one of the band came out and said that if they had fans willing to wait in the rain, they would play in the rain. A couple of minutes later, after the road crew dragged their gear under cover, they came back out and played the rest of the show. It was quite an experience for my first real concert. I ended up for most of that set about ten feet from the band.

I'll admit I not really a Beach Boys fan, but that is very cool that they came back out and played for all those who stuck it out. I truly appreciate bands that give that kind of effort.

KenC wrote:I used to enjoy camping as a scout, but have only gone once or twice since high school. Growing up on the South Carolina coast my favorite was boat camping, which could either be anchoring and sleeping on the boat or beaching in an undeveloped area and pitching tents behind the sand dunes. I guess I could probably count my Navy time as a six-year boat camping trip too...

I've never gone boat camping, sounds fun!

blargfromouterspace wrote:LE-3 anyone? I'm totally down for an SC-1 with HG style pickup in it.

I like your thinking!

blargfromouterspace wrote:Watson didn't stop engaging with the audience - people were passing him beers and tequila shots all night, and his band were totally hot.

Always so much better when the band and audience get to interact. I prefer small venues too.

sam wrote:I have never seen or played a HG model but have always been intrigued by this mysterious guitar. From your options I would go with the SC body. Blarg's "HG 1" would be interesting to me. Or, how about an ASAT HG 1? (being the ASAT fan I am)

ASAT is my second favorite body style in the G&L line after the SC. So I'm down with an ASAT HG 1. I dig it!

sam wrote:Close to your next topic, camping, was going to the Delta Blues festival in Greenville MS in, was the "hazily" one. Don't recall who all played, but this show left a lasting impression on me for blues, outdoor festivals, the kindness of music fans, and oh yeah, moonshine. Guess that's what made that one hazy.

I'd really like to hit one of these music / camping festivals. I thought there used to be a bluegrass, blues, and art festival in Sandwich, IL that had camping component but I can't find a link.

Cheers, Dan

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:08 am

G&L Topic:

Sorry, I have no G&L humbuckers to compare. But always lusted for a Cavalier if that counts for anything. The thought of an HG2 does sound cool.

Music Topic:
No outlandish concert experiences comes to mind. But you're right as far as the whole night is part of the "show" experience. I saw the Butch Trucks Band a few weeks ago. Nothing crazy but a fun, interesting night. It was at a club on the 3rd floor in a converted mill. The outer room was a gallery for local artists. Once in the main room we had a view of sunset going down over the water. They didn't have a liquor license so you could bring coolers in with you. We brought in some Tex-Mex food, beer, and wine to enjoy before and during the show. The concert itself was very good. Band did a mix of Allman Bros tunes, and blues and rock covers. I've seen the Allman Bros band a number of times and don't think I'd ever heard Butch talk before. He was very engaging, telling jokes and stories throughout the night. The google says he is 69 yrs old but boy he didn't show any signs of slowing down.

Other Topic:

We did the po-up camper thing with my family when I was a kid. But I suspect with 5 kids that was about the only vacation they could afford :D Back when I was high school/college age I used to so some canoe camping with friends. We'd drop a car off downriver and then spend a night or 2 canoeing downstream. I enjoy the backpack/camping thing. But having a wife and kid that don't enjoy it means I'm only doing a couple of relatively short trips a year (although my daughter does enjoy doing dayhikes with me) I usually go backpacking with a friend who is in the same situation. We've mostly done bits and pieces of Appalachian Trail in GA and NC and other wilderness areas in the southeast.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 am

MFD humbuckers you say ? Well I would have to hear one first ( in person ). I have neither played nor laid eyes on any G&L with humbuckers. They might as well be Snow Leopards . The 49th parallel is a barrier impervious to G&L's unless cleverly disguised as Tribute models. Put me down for the MFD bucker SC-2 !

Living in Vancouver I had ample opportunity to go to many many concerts when I was younger. It seemed that every major act of every type used to come through the city. Didn't go to many shows . I do remember a BNL show about 20 years ago that was really good. My wife dragged my to it and I had a great time. Small venues are better but I remember an REM concert in 1989 that was awesome. They played great and we snuck up near the front. I was a huge REM fan back then.
I will be visiting Nashville and Memphis in November and I can't wait. Should be some decent small venue live shows ;)

The last time I went camping was in 1996. To White Swan lake and it is a 10 to 11 hour drive from Vancouver . Stunningly beautiful rocky mountain views and great Trout fishing. If you want solitude there are a ton of places to go. In over half the province the population is less than 1 person per Kilometer. I have not been since but I have fond memories ( lots of Beer and lots of fishing ).

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:41 pm

[quote="sam"]Dan you are on a roll this week, great stuff! :happy0065:

...Blue Oyster Cult next month with friends...

I am a huge live music fan as well. BOC was one of my fav's growing up in the '70's. I have seen them a bunch of times in various iterations, and most recently 2 years ago at the Tropicana in Atlantic City. Really a good show, pleasantly surprised. Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom are the only originals, but they dug deep into their catalog for the real fans, and their most recent guitarist, Richie Castellano, is really a treat. Have fun Sam!

I have camped extensively with my 3 boys when they were in scouts, spanning 11-12 years. We did a good bit of winter camping. Nothing like a hot fire, or a fresh morning cup of coffee with a few inches of new snow on the tents and the ground. My favorites were the back packing trips on the Appalachian Trail in Va/West Va/Md/Pa. Amazing views, challenge of carrying lite gear, and rocky terrain. No cell phone coverage. Pulling water from a mountain spring through a filter. I have a little Martin backpacker with the original skinny headstock that went on alot of those trips. Between the boys and I, it got a lot of playing time.