Lunch Report 8-31-16, Necks, New Perspective, Injera

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:26 am

Lunch today is leftover Italian sausage that was pan seared and then stewed with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and basil.  The tomatoes, peppers and basil were from my garden.  Served on a piece of baguette with a side of watermelon.

G&L Topic:

Okay, this probably isn't strictly a G&L topic, but being G&L on many of its models offers multiple neck profiles, widths, and radius I figured it would be appropriate.  Both my USA G&Ls (LE-2 and ASAT Classic S) have the #1 neck.  So they are the C shape, 1-5/8" nut, 12 inch radius.  Not sure what the specs are on the SC-3 other than it is 7.5" radius.  Similarly, I'm not sure what the specs are on my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe, though I'm pretty sure it is a 12 inch radius.  I would say I prefer the 12" radius, though it not a big deal to me.  As for the profile the #1 seems pretty comfortable.  I've considered going with a slightly wider nut 1-11/16".  I believe my Washburn is 1-11/16" as well as my Guild acoustic (I don't think it's 1-3/4").  Both USA models have maple fingerboards, the Tribute rosewood.  I like both just fine.  The few ebony fingerboards I've tried feel terrific.  So I think I would say ebony would probably be my preferred fingerboard material.  As for finish.  I like the look of gloss, but prefer the feel of satin.  I know they will gloss with time anyways.  And then the headstock - I like painted headstocks.  So if I had to summaries my ideal neck it would be:  Classic C, 12" radius, either 1-5/8" or 1-11/16", Ebony fingerboard, satin finish, and painted headstock.  What is your ideal neck?

Music Topic:

Sticking with albums again, as in a long recording on a record, CD, mp3, etc...  i.e. a collection of several songs put together by the artist.  So yesterday I talked about an album that search a long time to find.  Today, time is involved again but in a different way.  Have you had an album that you bought and at first were kind of meh about it.  For some reason it just didn't excite or engage you.  Maybe it wasn't commercially successful as other album from the same artist.  Maybe it was successful but you though it was a sell out or was dumbed down.  Now, after time things have changed.  It may still may not be a commercial success or any of the other things I mentioned.  But as you have changed now you have an appreciation an enthusiasm for this album that at one time you were ambivalent towards.  One such example for me would be the artist Belly.  Their album Star was commercially successful in its genre.  Feed the Tree was a single off the album that was getting a lot of air time.  There were catchy songs like Slow Dog.  I really liked Star.  The next album was King.  I was disappointed when I first got it.  As a result I didn't listen to it much.  About a year ago a pulled it out, it had been a file since I listened to it and it was like wow!  I went from ambivalent to really liking it.  So went back and put Star in the CD player and was stunned, over the course of time I now actually like King better than Star.  It wasn't the album that changed it was me.  Maybe I'm the only one.  Anyone else have a similar experience with an album?

Other Topic:

I enjoy lots of different foods and I enjoy cooking.  When we were in Washington DC we stopped at an Ethiopian restaurant on H street.  The kids complained the whole time until the food came.  THEY LIKED IT.  So, I'll cook Ethiopian inspired food at home, but instead of serving it with Injera I usually made homemade naan cooked on the grill.  Naan is easy to make and  cooks up fast on the grill.  I haven't attempt Injera.  Injera is a sour dough flatbread, it is like a crepe, made from teff flour.  It not that we don't have teff, we typically have teff flour in the house.  It is just that I find cooking crepes a pain, they tear so easy.  I still want to give a try just haven't got around to it.  Is there something you haven't cooked yet that you would like to attempt?

Dan

Re: Lunch Report 8-31-16, Necks, New Perspective, Injera

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

G&L Topic:

I recently noticed the G&L options page states that 9.5" radius is now standard on most models. Guess I missed that announcement. I only own models with 12 and 7.5 radius (radii?). But when I tried some of the earlier Tribute models with 9.5 (or maybe it was 10") radius I really, really liked it. So a move to 9.5" as standard is good news to me. The thought of a wider nut 1-11/16" does intrigue me. Don't have any matching/painted headstocks but love the look.

Music Topic:

Maybe not exactly what you referred to but I had a change of heart with the band Wilco.
Some years ago a friend was raving about their relase Yankee Foxtrot Hotel. Kept saying I should check them out as he was sure I'd love them. I gave it a couple of spins but maybe I wasn't really paying close attention. I don't know. But at the time I just thought it was OK but nothing special. 6 months or so later I gave another listen and was hooked. I ended up buying most of their records and became a big fan.

Other Topic:

I like to bake bread and have been wanting to try grilling naan bread for a while. I'll get around to it one of these days.

-Jeff

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:16 pm

Necks:

I'll have to limit my neck perspectives to the old ones. The vast majority of my G&L guitars have the old #2 necks (1 5/8" nut, 7.5" radius), just because that was the most common profile back in the Leo era. A couple have the old #1 profile (1 5/8" nut, 12" radius). I don't personally find a difference unless I'm playing barre chords with my thumb, in which case the 7.5" radius easier for me. I have one #3 neck, on a Superhawk. That profile has a 1 3/4" nut, 12" radius, and feels pretty shallow front-to-back. I guess it would be called a "D" profile. I love the finger space on the #3 neck, but barre chords with my thumb on the low E string can be tiring.

One guitar stands out from the pack to me in terms of neck profile. It's an '86 ASAT with a Kahler and an ebony board. It's maybe just a hair wider than 1 5/8", but the nut is cut with both Es closer to the edge and the other strings spaces accordingly. It comes pretty close to the Superhawk in terms of string spacing, but without the feeling of a wide neck. I've been on the lookout, but haven't found another G&L like it.

The one I'm hoping to find at some point is a #5 neck, which had a 1 3/4" nut, 25" radius, and an extra 1/8" width at the heel end of the fretboard. Those are pretty uncommon, but hopefully one will turn up. My ideal would be to find one on an ASAT.

Albums:

I've had that happen several times. A few that come to mind right off are Joy Division (which I hated on the first listen or two), Tom Waits (just clanging and growling until I hit 40), and John Coltrane (my first attempt at listening lasted about five seconds). All of those have been favorites for years now.

Bread:

I had an Eritrean restaurant in my neighborhood when I lived in Cincinnati. It was a favorite of mine, and also something I could always count on my kids to eat when they went through picky phases. I've experimented a lot with Arabic and North African cooking, but never Ethiopian or Eritrean. I would like to give that a shot someday.

Ken

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Hey Dan,

I believe all Tribute ASAT's have a 9.5 neck. I have a tribby ASAT special that I put a tribby Legacy 12" neck on and MUCH happier. I am not a fan of 9 and 9.5 at all. Ditto to repoman on "the thought of a wider nut 1-11/16" does intrigue me." I do like 12" and 7.5" neck any day of the week. :thumbup:

I know I have had albums that were quickly put away put found later that I did like it after more listens. Can't remember who the bands were now.

I was in DC yesterday but did not have a chance for any special food. I do like Indian food, maybe will go to H street next time. Food wise I would like to learn to cook Arabic food. Saha in San Francisco, on Sutter, is a Arabic fusion restaurant that I will always make a special trip to when in town. I understand they are moving, but will find it for sure. :searching:

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:39 pm

radius doesn't bother me too much but prefer 12 or more , 7.5 is fine ..... I just got a 1 11/16 nut on my new ASAT BB and the neck as a whole is large , much larger neck than my 1986 Rampage with 1 3/4 nut or a modern Classic C , dwarf's the Leo era neck on my Brodcaster ..... if I had to do over I wouldn't order it , kinda ball bat -ish , especial compared to Classic C , if it was my only guitar I would be fine but it's not ...lol ... still like it but I will never gig with it , which was the purpose of this light weight Empress wood guitar

can't remember all the abums but I'm sure most if not all I didn't like the first play through ..lol

not into food ...lol.... I weigh 178 pounds at 6'1 ..... not all too long ago I was 240 + pounds ..... I really don't eat like I used to , I can remember eating a KFC 8 piece meal by myself ( was still skinny then ) in my early 20's ..... by mid 30's the same food habbits grew 165 pounds to 240

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:55 am

Necks - The neck on the Legacy I bought last week may just be a favourite. Its a bit thinner than a regular #1, I think it pre-dates that neck profile system, and a little larger than the neck on my '93 ASAT. I really like the profile on the early '80s SC-2, but would prefer a flatter radius and taller frets. The regular #1 is also comfy. I'm not too fussy really! Still, best neck I've ever felt was on a Music Man, if I didn't hate the look of the guitars I'd have a few of them.

Music - I've found that if there isn't a digital copy on the internet somewhere you aren't looking hard enough. I can't think of an album I've wanted that I haven'y been able to listen to, whether that be on youtube or via some of the many listening websites. I still prefer to own music rather than glean it off of a computer, but its almost completely impractical these days and getting harder and harder to get stuff thats out of print.

I had that Ethiopian bread for the first time last week, man that stuff is filling. I expected to eat a heap of them but barely made it through 1 dinner plate sized one.

There's a heap of things I've wanted to cook that I've ticked off since we moved away from a big city with lots of choice of good food - laksa, Chinese style roast pork, satay etc. and all have turned out great. One thing I've struggle with is fried noodle dishes.I really miss being able to get them without making an hour and a half drive into town. I invested in a large gas burner when I bought a whole bunch of stuff for home brewing but even that doesn't throw out enough heat to get that essential char happening. Next thing I plan on cooking is a chicken in walnut sauce recipe from a book on Russian cuisine I have.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:42 am

repoman wrote:Some years ago a friend was raving about their relase Yankee Foxtrot Hotel. Kept saying I should check them out as he was sure I'd love them. I gave it a couple of spins but maybe I wasn't really paying close attention. I don't know. But at the time I just thought it was OK but nothing special. 6 months or so later I gave another listen and was hooked. I ended up buying most of their records and became a big fan.

This captures the spirit of what I was talking about. Somehow our perception changes and we go from not liking or being disinterested to liking. I don't have Wilco, though I like them. I do have some Uncle Tupelo.

sam wrote:I believe all Tribute ASAT's have a 9.5 neck. I have a tribby ASAT special that I put a tribby Legacy 12" neck on and MUCH happier. I am not a fan of 9 and 9.5 at all. Ditto to repoman on "the thought of a wider nut 1-11/16" does intrigue me." I do like 12" and 7.5" neck any day of the week.

Took a closer look at my Tribute and I think you right. Looks like it is a bit more cured than my US G&Ls with 12 inch radius. To me it is not a big difference between 7.5" to 12" though I slightly like the 12" better. Overall the Tribute neck seems thinner.

Fumble fingers wrote:radius doesn't bother me too much but prefer 12 or more , 7.5 is fine ..... I just got a 1 11/16 nut on my new ASAT BB and the neck as a whole is large , much larger neck than my 1986 Rampage with 1 3/4 nut or a modern Classic C , dwarf's the Leo era neck on my Brodcaster ..... if I had to do over I wouldn't order it , kinda ball bat -ish , especial compared to Classic C , if it was my only guitar I would be fine but it's not ...lol ... still like it but I will never gig with it , which was the purpose of this light weight Empress wood guitar

That's good to know. Maybe that used ASAT I tried had a 1-11/16" nut. That neck felt like a baseball bat and I did not like it.

KenC wrote:I've had that happen several times. A few that come to mind right off are Joy Division (which I hated on the first listen or two), Tom Waits (just clanging and growling until I hit 40), and John Coltrane (my first attempt at listening lasted about five seconds). All of those have been favorites for years now.

Good extreme examples!

blargfromouterspace wrote:Necks - The neck on the Legacy I bought last week may just be a favourite. Its a bit thinner than a regular #1, I think it pre-dates that neck profile system, and a little larger than the neck on my '93 ASAT. I really like the profile on the early '80s SC-2, but would prefer a flatter radius and taller frets. The regular #1 is also comfy. I'm not too fussy really! Still, best neck I've ever felt was on a Music Man, if I didn't hate the look of the guitars I'd have a few of them.

I like the taller frets on the newer guitars as well.

KenC wrote:I had an Eritrean restaurant in my neighborhood when I lived in Cincinnati. It was a favorite of mine, and also something I could always count on my kids to eat when they went through picky phases. I've experimented a lot with Arabic and North African cooking, but never Ethiopian or Eritrean. I would like to give that a shot someday.

I haven't been to an Eritrean restaurant. Reading the description,some of my home "Ethiopian" attempt have have been closer to Eritrean. I'll have to search some of that out.

sam wrote:I was in DC yesterday but did not have a chance for any special food. I do like Indian food, maybe will go to H street next time. Food wise I would like to learn to cook Arabic food. Saha in San Francisco, on Sutter, is a Arabic fusion restaurant that I will always make a special trip to when in town. I understand they are moving, but will find it for sure.

H street is becoming a hipster part of town. The area is being regentrified. Arabic fusion sound yummy!

Fumble fingers wrote:not into food ...lol.... I weigh 178 pounds at 6'1 ..... not all too long ago I was 240 + pounds ..... I really don't eat like I used to , I can remember eating a KFC 8 piece meal by myself ( was still skinny then ) in my early 20's ..... by mid 30's the same food habbits grew 165 pounds to 240

I can identify, except I haven't made it back down. :(

blargfromouterspace wrote:There's a heap of things I've wanted to cook that I've ticked off since we moved away from a big city with lots of choice of good food - laksa, Chinese style roast pork, satay etc. and all have turned out great. One thing I've struggle with is fried noodle dishes.I really miss being able to get them without making an hour and a half drive into town. I invested in a large gas burner when I bought a whole bunch of stuff for home brewing but even that doesn't throw out enough heat to get that essential char happening. Next thing I plan on cooking is a chicken in walnut sauce recipe from a book on Russian cuisine I have.

I think part of the secret is the shielding of the flame source. I've noticed that these Chinese woks tend to sit on what look like a thick tube with a jet of fire below. Most of the heat has to go directly on the wok, it really can't go around it much - as it does it really heats the sides. My wok on the stove top doesn't come anywhere close.

Cheers, Dan

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:07 am

Dan,

Uncle Tupelo was a great band. While I do have some Wilco stuff, l like Jay Farrar and Son Volt better. More in line with Uncle Tupelo. Great live if you have a chance