Lunch Report 8-30-16... The Quest

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Lunch today is from the cafeteria at work...  Spicy chicken sandwich with chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato, and banana peppers.  A side of house chips.

G&L Topic:

I know many of you are fans of pre-BBE era G&L guitars.  I only own one pre-BBE era guitar, a SC-3.  When I bought this guitar I was actually searching for an SC-2 but I felt like it was too good of deal to pass up.  I'd still say the SC-2 is probably my favorite pre-BBE era model, with preference to the first "Mustang" body style.  The second body style is pretty cool too..  It comes down to the large MFDs for me.  I like the sans-pickguard basics and the single tone and volume simplicity.  There is something about the black crinkle Saddle-Lock and "banana" control plate that just really resonate with me.  What is your favorite pre-BBE era model and why?

Music Topic:

Back in 1991-92 I DJ at my university radio station.  Started with an overnight show 1 day week, then went to early Sunday morning, then my final show was a mid-day once a week.  One of my mainstay albums that I would almost always play a track from was Merle Saunder's Save the Planet So We Have Somewhere to Boogie.  I search all over for this album and it took forever to find it.  It can't remember how long it took but it was on the order of 12-15 years.  When I did find it, it was usually priced around $100 regardless of used or new (some of the new were closer to $200).  Then one day I found a used copy for $45 so I jumped at it, hoping it would be in good condition.  I am very happy I did so.  A great double set with some of his more jazzy stuff, some Jimmy Cliff, Grateful Dead, and more...  Anyone else have a long quest to finally acquire an album you wanted?

Other Topic:

Long holiday weekend coming up for us Americans, Labor Day the unofficial end of summer.  A lot of people will grill this weekend, it is supposed to be nice here in Chicago.  Are you a natural gas, propane, or a charcoal griller?  I have both charcoal and propane.  I prefer the charcoal (especially the natural lump charcoal), but use the propane often for convenience.  Used to have two smokers that I used frequently but one finally rusted through..  I really like using apple wood in the smoker.  Any smokers out there?  What woods do you like to use?

Cheers,  Dan

Re: Lunch Report 8-30-16... The Quest

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Dan,

I have 3-bolts and I have 4 bolts. I have pre-BBE and I have BBE era guitars. I can't say that either era is particularly better, or worse. Or that I even have a preference. It is the individual guitar I care about.

I am a griller/smoker. I use lump charcoal for grilling. For smoking pulled pork I use hickory. It works best for me. As for my smoker, it's a Big Green Egg. My wife hates it, being from Philly. And me being from CA. Sometimes it's a problem.

As for Merle Saunders, I saw him once with "The Dinosaurs." They were a SF Bay Area band, made up of people who had played with: The Grateful Dead, Quick Silver Messenger Service, Country Joe McDonald & the Fish, one Janis Joplin's bands. And I think somebody from Moby Grape. The only 2 persons I remember are Merle, and John Cippolina, from Quick Silver. It was a great show.

Later,

edg

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:01 am

Dan, good questions and you will get different answers depending on who answers. I happen to believe that the best of G&L is the early to late 2000's. The quality really shined and there were some pretty seasoned key employees, several of who are no longer there. The woods from these years were superb.The nicer woods are probably harder to source now days. I was drawn to G&L by the woods and finishes. The pickups were also very good but there are many pickup choices in the current environment. I believe that there QC has dropped a bit due to cost cutting and we seem to see more QC problems than in the past. Again, my opinion only. They do have a good product and I wish they would improve some things such as shielding. There is no shielding in the American models and that can be problematic when gigging. It is interesting that some of the Tributes I have owned were shielded. My sense is that they are trying to stay afloat in these competitive times. I am somewhat surprised that there are so few dealers in the Mpls/St Paul area. Some dealers have dropped the brand and others are no longer around. You would think that this metro area would have a premier dealer and I am not aware of one. I think the Tributes are really a bang for the buck. My best G&L for gigging was a Tribute M 2500 which I no longer own. I have to admit that I am not brand loyal as I have 16 different brands and love them all.

My prime time was in the 60's and I have a lot of vinyl around, which I can pull out occasionally. It does bring back memories and I can easily convert them to CD. I am beginning to wonder how long CDs are going to be around.

Lunch was at MC Donalds with the grand daughter who at 5 thinks the Happy Meal is tops! No my idea of a good meal.

I grill most evenings during the summer and even a lot in the winter. I used charcoal for years but have gone to propane due to convenience. We seldom use the house oven.

Yesterday gardening was mentioned. The tomatoes are outstanding this year and we have many. Otherwise it is all flowers for us. We have nice grapes this year but not sure what we will do with them. -- Darwin

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 pm

My favorite Leo era G&L is..... I don't have a favorite. The G&L I play the most is a Viking Blue Sc-3. I really like the assortment of guitars that George and Leo produced during that little window of time. We are very fortunate.

My grilling days are kinda over. Stopped eating meat 3+ years ago and just haven't grilled since. We used to do it every evening in the summer. It is a fantastic tradition that helped define summer for me. Hello , my name is y2kc and I am a former griller.

Take care,

y2kc

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:31 pm

OK. I'll bite.

G&L Topic:

My favorite pre-BBE G&L is my '87/'89 ASAT. It is somewhat unique: '87 neck with ebony fretboard, '89 natural ash body, DFV bridge, 3 pickups: 2 small MFD for neck and middle and small MFD (HG-2 style) humbucker for the bridge. It plays like butter (as does my second fave: my '86 ASAT) and I love the tele style body with the strat style pickups and bridge. I bought it from Chris' guitars last year (after eyeing it for well over a year). I plan to post a pic in the not too distant future...

Music Topic:

Had a long quest for Japanese versions of some Paul Weller albums, but nothing like you mentioned. Now that I think of it, I rarely buy music any more. I used to spend a good % of my income on recorded and live music, but not any more... I guess I am getting old... ;-) These days, I prefer to play than to listen.

Other Topic:

I will be grilling/smoking this labor day! I have 3 Weber kettle grills of various sizes and a Weber smokey mountain smoker (smaller version). They are all charcoal. I have a good supply of peach wood, red alder, and pepper wood that I use for smoking. I also use the kettle grills for smoking sometimes, using the indirect heat method. And the #1 tool I use for any of this is my digital thermometer!! I've smoked almost everything, except a brisket. That is my holy grail that I have not yet attempted. Amazingribs.com is my goto site for grilling/smoking information.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:54 pm

guitar_ed wrote:have 3-bolts and I have 4 bolts. I have pre-BBE and I have BBE era guitars. I can't say that either era is particularly better, or worse. Or that I even have a preference. It is the individual guitar I care about.

I'm with you when it comes for pre-BBE and BBE era guitars. I don't see any significant difference in quality. It's a bit hard to judge as my on pre-BBE is 31-32 years old "low cost" model vs "professional grade" BBE. If I had to pick, I'd say the my USA BBE era guitars are higher quality. That's not taking away anything from my SC-3. I like them all.

guitar_ed wrote:As for Merle Saunders, I saw him once with "The Dinosaurs."

I've only got to see Merle live once. Summer of 1992 at Peeples Bar and Grill in Ames, IA. It was a groovin' boogie time. I remember one guy tried to set up recording equipment and promptly asked to take it down.

guitar_ed wrote:I am a griller/smoker. I use lump charcoal for grilling. For smoking pulled pork I use hickory. It works best for me. As for my smoker, it's a Big Green Egg. My wife hates it, being from Philly. And me being from CA. Sometimes it's a problem.

Those Big Green Eggs look nice. My brother-in-law has one. Bit pricey for me at this time.

darwinohm wrote:My prime time was in the 60's and I have a lot of vinyl around, which I can pull out occasionally. It does bring back memories and I can easily convert them to CD. I am beginning to wonder how long CDs are going to be around.

I think CDs will be going away soon. Not sure I'm keen on the modern way music is sold. I miss those days hanging out and searching the bin at the music store. I think back to all the albums I bought for a specific track just to find other gems on the album. I get the feeling most people on buy singles if they are even buying. Probably more subscriptions to music services. Guess that makes me the old guy yelling get off my lawn!

y2kc wrote:My grilling days are kinda over. Stopped eating meat 3+ years ago and just haven't grilled since. We used to do it every evening in the summer. It is a fantastic tradition that helped define summer for me. Hello , my name is y2kc and I am a former griller.

You know, it not just meat for the grill :shh: Vegetable kabobs, veggie pizza or flatbreads (I really like grilling homemade pizzas), squashes, eggplants... Mmmmmm

cho wrote:I will be grilling/smoking this labor day! I have 3 Weber kettle grills of various sizes and a Weber smokey mountain smoker (smaller version). They are all charcoal. I have a good supply of peach wood, red alder, and pepper wood that I use for smoking. I also use the kettle grills for smoking sometimes, using the indirect heat method. And the #1 tool I use for any of this is my digital thermometer!! I've smoked almost everything, except a brisket. That is my holy grail that I have not yet attempted. Amazingribs.com is my goto site for grilling/smoking information.

I "cheat" on my brisket and ribs. I'll braise them in low temperature oven for several hours and then finish them up on the smoker. I have friend how does brisket on his Weber. He uses indirect heat sitting on a large piece of foil. After a period, he closes the foil around the brisket to finish. They are way better than mine and super juicy. Mmmmm

Thanks everyone for sharing! Cheers, Dan

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:13 pm

my late lunch is split pea soup with really good bread (I added Fareeka).
I love grilled veggies, never went all out...but I dream about building a backyard brick pizza
oven.

The clear Ash G&L's with black crinkle are bad! (I mean good,real good.../80's reference).

I chased this song for a while. I heard it a million times on the radio, but never remembered the name.
I was probably always distracted by my interpretation of some of the lyrics.
I heard in the reprise " We were out of party ice " ...which could be an epic tragedy worth singing about :D

phpBB [video]

I did have to hunt down and buy this LP:
phpBB [video]

I miss the 6000+ records I had, but moving was a beast.

cheers

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:25 pm

meat loaf , scalloped potatoes , green beans and fresh baked bread for lunch , all for 7.49 each ( I buy lunch at the shop)

favorite pre-BBE would have to be my Cavalier , it's such a player , great balance , the humbuckers work with our band and sound great with out , Broadcaster is close second but it's too sweet to leave out of the case or I feel guilty .....

from my untrained eyes I don't mind the BBE's at all , 3 or 4 bolt , my Hugger Orange Fallout is still my number 1 and I'm about this >< close to ordering my second new Fallout ..... Metallic Purple , Nitro Surf Green or Shell Pink ... going to order one but having a hard time deciding which one ..... the nitro guitars only come one way no options other than what comes with it just like the Detroit series and 35th anniversary , the Metallic Purple I can get anything I want except for different neck widths .... decisions decisions , leaning towards a nitro finish but I wanted locking tuners (no biggie) quartersawn neck and considering SS frets because my Hugger Orange Fallout is already ready for a fret file , the fret wear goes with being number 1

Music wise we are trying to get ready for some professional recordings and rapped up so heavy in our music don't have much time for anything else

propane or charcoal , usually propane for convience

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:34 pm

cho wrote:Had a long quest for Japanese versions of some Paul Weller albums, but nothing like you mentioned. Now that I think of it, I rarely buy music any more. I used to spend a good % of my income on recorded and live music, but not any more... I guess I am getting old... These days, I prefer to play than to listen.

Paul is a prolific song writer. Been impressed with work going back to the Jam. I too used to spend more % of my income on music, but then I also make more these days too. Had long period where I didn't buy much, several reasons but mainly the lack of anything interesting on commercial radio. Thanks to some fine non-commercial stations I've found that I can get on the internet I've been founding new things of interest and started buying more again. I do find I like to sit down and just noodle, play, and make up my own stuff.
Elwood wrote:I chased this song for a while. I heard it a million times on the radio, but never remembered the name.
I was probably always distracted by my interpretation of some of the lyrics.
I heard in the reprise " We were out of party ice " ...which could be an epic tragedy worth singing about

Remember the song well. It was played a lot at parties and dance clubs back when I was in school. One of my roommates was a big NIN fan. He was into the industrial techno electronica genre more than I, but I do appreciate it.

Elwood wrote:I miss the 6000+ records I had, but moving was a beast.

Wow, that would be a lot to move! I tell people I don't have much and look at me like I'm crazy because I have about 600+

Elwood wrote:my late lunch is split pea soup with really good bread (I added Fareeka).
I love grilled veggies, never went all out...but I dream about building a backyard brick pizza
oven.

Sounds delicious! A backyard brick oven is a dream of mine too!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:favorite pre-BBE would have to be my Cavalier , it's such a player , great balance , the humbuckers work with our band and sound great with out

The Cavalier is very intriguing to me. Would love to find one near me to try out. Also the Innovator with silence coils looks very intriguing.

Fumble fingers wrote:from my untrained eyes I don't mind the BBE's at all , 3 or 4 bolt

I'm with you 100%.
Fumble fingers wrote: I'm about this >< close to ordering my second new Fallout ..... Metallic Purple , Nitro Surf Green or Shell Pink ... going to order one but having a hard time deciding which one ..... the nitro guitars only come one way no options other than what comes with it just like the Detroit series and 35th anniversary , the Metallic Purple I can get anything I want except for different neck widths .... decisions decisions , leaning towards a nitro finish but I wanted locking tuners (no biggie) quartersawn neck and considering SS frets because my Hugger Orange Fallout is already ready for a fret file , the fret wear goes with being number 1

If I went nitro, Surf Green for me! :smoking030: Though I'd probably be more inclined to get the specific option I wanted... Not sure I'd want to give up the specific options. But, you'll know what to do and seeing some of the beauties you have I'm sure it will be sweet!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:36 pm

WitSok wrote:What is your favorite pre-BBE era model and why?

Since I've been fortunate enough to try most of them, that's a very hard question. I could cheat and say it's whichever my most recent find was (currently that would be an ASAT III with an HG pickup at the bridge), but some of mine definitely get more playing time than others over the long run. My #1 go-to guitar for the past 18 months has been an '82 or '83 SC-2 hardtail. The tone is incredible, the body is comfortable despite being a slab, and the weight is 6 1/2 pounds. If I want something brighter I tend toward an '82 SC-1 that's six pounds even, and when I want extra crunch it's a Cavalier. I did dust off my Skyhawk over the weekend, and it shot right back near the top of the list.

guitar_ed wrote:I have 3-bolts and I have 4 bolts. I have pre-BBE and I have BBE era guitars. I can't say that either era is particularly better, or worse. Or that I even have a preference. It is the individual guitar I care about.

I've only owned one four-bolt G&L. It was a '98 ASAT Classic, which I traded for a '97 ASAT Classic Custom a couple of years ago. I also have owned a couple of basses from '99 and '00. All of those were great instruments, and they all looked a bit nicer than most of my Leo-era instruments in terms of finish. The construction an tone were right on par with their Leo-era counterparts. I've spent just a couple of minutes trying newer G&Ls in stores, without feeling an urge to bond with any of them.

WitSok wrote:Anyone else have a long quest to finally acquire an album you wanted?

I can't think of any albums in particular, but this thread made me look again for one of the books that inspired Devo's lyrics. It's been out of print for forty years, and the few copies I've seen went for $100 or more. I just scored one off Amazon a couple of minutes ago for less than $5. Hopefully it will have been worth the wait!

Ken

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Lunch today was a disappointing turkey and cheese on a croissant. I should have known better.

My only Leo era is my 86 ASAT, which I bought almost 2 years ago. it has pretty much ruined me for any new G&L's. Besides the way it plays , I really , really like the black tuners and the black crinkle bridge. Its the one that is out 90% of the time .I am a big fan of the large MFD's. Nothing wrong with my S-500 and SC-2 re-issue but that Leo era bug bit hard. I'm with you about the original SC-2. But I would jump on a black 86 or 87 ASAT as well . Those 86 ASAT sunbursts look awesome too. If I ever bought a new G&L I would probably go with Fullerton Red.

Albums....I have never bought vinyl. My brother had a ton of records but I grew up with cassettes, then onto CD's. I do love album art though. If I could find a copy of Jimmy Spheeris Isle of View I would buy it, but then I would have to buy a record player. Which I have contemplated. Live at Leeds on Vinyl would be cool. I could go on forever.

I just replaced my tired old grill with a new Weber. I love it. Its a natural gas model and I use it a lot. Grilling just does not seem like a chore. I use charcoal briquettes for my Satay grill ( my father in-law built it ) and it does its job masterfully. Love that Satay. No smokers, but the green eggs seem to be popular.

Paul

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:25 pm

glvourot wrote:Albums....I have never bought vinyl. My brother had a ton of records but I grew up with cassettes, then onto CD's. I do love album art though.

Just to clarify, I'm using album as "a long musical recording on a record, CD, etc., that usually includes a set of songs." Not so much about the format, rather more about the content. Just bringing it up, as it will like come into play the next time I offer up a lunch report.

WitSok wrote:What is your favorite pre-BBE era model and why?

It may be one you don't own or have. It could be that one you are on the hunt for...

glvourot wrote:I use charcoal briquettes for my Satay grill ( my father in-law built it ) and it does its job masterfully. Love that Satay.

That's cool!

Thanks again everyone. Not sure how you guys used to do a whole week of LRs in the past. I thought it would be easy coming up with topics, but it has been harder than I thought - but fun.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:55 pm

Favorite BBE model? Man that's a tough one. Toss up between Broadcaster, 88 ASAT and parts JD 5 from 87/88 parts. All based on feel and tone.

Love Merle Saunders, especially when he played with Jerry. I used to have a HUGE vinyl collection put have pared down to about a hundred now. Always on the hunt for Beatles and Grateful Dead rareties. Would love to get a butcher cover Beatles but not sure I want to shell out what it would go for.

We will have the Lang smoker going this weekend for sure. My wife that is, she is the BBQ queen. Brisket and ribs are on the list. Pork butts are a typical mainstay with ribs but she wants to do brisket this weekend. I don't mind, she has done all and I will put her smoker meat on any table any day. I do the smoked fish, salmon on occasion, but folks come from all over the neighborhood when they smell the smoker going. :smoking030:

This is not ours but an example from Lang pics on line. I will post pics in action this weekend

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:43 am

Now that's a smoker! :smoking030:

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:58 am

WitSok wrote:Now that's a smoker! :smoking030:

... not name Keith Richards ...

Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:03 am

Nice smoker...I could do wonders with one like that but just simply don't cook for enough people anymore to justify having such a huge pit. I switched to an electric smoker last year and am still undecided as weather I like it or not. It's kind of set it and forget it, but tending and nurturing the fire and smoke wood is a large part of the process for me. Great for just throwing on a couple dozen wings real quick but ribs and brisket so far have not turned out as well. I like apple wood best. Maybe I'll fire it up this weekend...

Tom

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Fave pre-BBE model - the SC-1. No question. Any finish. I'll get one one day....

BBQ - We've ALWAYS had a charcoal Weber. Gas is cheating and IMO shouldn't be considered BBQ. One of my fave things off the Weber is a hickory smoked chicken. I butterfly a chicken, season liberally with salt and nothing else, leave it overnight and smoke it hot. Takes about 50 minutes to cook, then it comes off the BBQ and goes skin side down into alfoil to rest for 20 minutes, the skin gets nice and tender with the rest as its a bit leathery when it first comes off. Other favourite is lamb in any guise. I like to celebrate the arrival of spring with BBQ lamb and salad eaten under one of the trees in the backyard.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:52 am

Just a follow up to a smokin' weekend. Hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday.

On our end, the weather was great but food and company was BETTER! :thumbup:

Three racks of ribs, one brisket and two pork butts (wrapped one behind the one you see), sampler on foil just because ya gotta taste it to be sure :evilgrin:

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Nice Sam,

Hope everyone had a safe and fun Labour Day Weekend. I smoked a couple dozen wings and a rack of ribs. Standard curly pasta salad and some cukes from the garden. Nothing too extravagant but yummy nonetheless.

Sam, those pics really make me want to go buy a smoker like that. It's rally not a money thing but a matter of do I need to smoke enough meat for a small army for just the wife and myself. There is nothing quite like the product that comes off one of those though. Is there a such thing as SAS, Smoker Acquisition Syndrome? I supposed I could drag it into the house and heat it in the winter with it...? We used to power our entire house with wood. Wood burning stove in the kitchen, big Old Mill stove in the center of the basement. Those were the days, dirt poor but resource rich. Had 120 acres of apple trees and a thousand acres of mixed hardwood forrest behind that to play around in. Too bad it was in Maine where it is cold and gray for 8 months of the year.

Maybe a new pit in my future...

Tom

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks Tom,

We do a lot with people in our neighborhood and other friends so a small gathering of 20-30 is pretty easy, so enough to justify smoking. The real thing is my wife has gotten into the smoker pretty big. We typically use Hickory to start, then oak to maintain the fire. Every now and then we can get some cherry wood which adds a nice flavor. The Lang smokers come in all sizes and are reasonably priced for what you get. I like the fact that the metal is thick, so it retains heat very well.

SAS, Smoker Acquisition Syndrome is real. My wife now says she wants to get one that will do a whole hog. :shocked028: I can't say anything when she looks at the guitars around the house. Wings and ribs sound pretty good right now. 120 acres sounds like a dream come true, bet that was beautiful (when it wasn't cold and gray). Good luck on the smoker decision.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:56 pm

FZTNT wrote: Too bad it was in Maine where it is cold and gray for 8 months of the year.

Hey Tom, where in Maine? I spent most of the '90s living just north of Portland.

sam wrote:SAS, Smoker Acquisition Syndrome is real. My wife now says she wants to get one that will do a whole hog. :shocked028: I can't say anything when she looks at the guitars around the house. Wings and ribs sound pretty good right now. 120 acres sounds like a dream come true, bet that was beautiful (when it wasn't cold and gray). Good luck on the smoker decision.

I'm on the verge of catching SAS. I have a smoker picked out, but somehow I can't get my wife onboard with it. Somehow it's been harder than convincing her that another G&L is somehow necessary. Maybe she's just learned her lesson from the guitars and basses.

Ken

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:00 am

Maine was a beautiful place to live. I was young and healthy and worked a hard but satisfying job. I lived in the Waterville area. Skowhegan and Vasselborro (ya can't get there from here). This was in the early eighties.

Ken, did you ever take a trip to The Apple Farm in Fairfield? That's where I worked. I was the production manager and crew boss. Fun job, didn't pay too much but there was always something different to do. Best thing was in the summer, if all went well, you had time to enjoy the outdoors.

Tom

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Ken,

Just tell your wife a smoker will not only provide fantastic food for all, but can be a great way to have friends and family over (whichever is better for her). You can always say everyone else will bring food so you guys don't have to prepare everything. Call me an enabler :evilgrin:

Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:51 pm

sam wrote: Call me an enabler :evilgrin:

Thanks Sam! I'll return the favor...stare at the smilie :happy0007: and repeat "need another ASAT...need another ASAT"... :D

Ken

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:04 pm

FZTNT wrote:Maine was a beautiful place to live. I was young and healthy and worked a hard but satisfying job. I lived in the Waterville area. Skowhegan and Vasselborro (ya can't get there from here). This was in the early eighties.

Ken, did you ever take a trip to The Apple Farm in Fairfield? That's where I worked. I was the production manager and crew boss. Fun job, didn't pay too much but there was always something different to do. Best thing was in the summer, if all went well, you had time to enjoy the outdoors.

Tom

Tom,

I lived in Freeport for a year, and North Yarmouth for six more. My wife's family has managed to hold onto their old farm that's near the Kennebec about 20 miles upstream from Madison. We would get on Route 201 right on the outskirts of Fairfield and then drive through Skowhegan on our way up there at least 1-2 times per month for the whole time we lived there. She also has family in Waterville, but they would usually come to see us instead of the other way around.

We never made it to your apple farm. We used to go to one in Cumberland occasionally.

Ken