Lunch Report, Monday May 3, 2010

Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 am

Hi all!

I'm not sure I've ever really introduced myself, so just a bit about myself. I live in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia...came here for grad school in 1997 after living in Southern Africa for 6 years (I grew up in central Kansas). I planned to go back overseas when done with school, but found a girl, got married, started a family and now seem pretty firmly planted here.

I've played acoustic guitar since I was a kid, but only got into electrics about 13 years ago. But to be honest, that's what I wanted all along! I was in a band for about 3 years starting in the late 90s, but after we started a family it seemed like too much. I don't really miss it, but I still get together with the other guitarist, who is a close friend, and we jam every couple of months or so.

Lunch today will be a couple slices of left over pizza...my wife and I have been perfecting our pizza recipe over the years, however, I'm the one who usually makes them. Dough made from scratch, sauce begins with a can of crushed tomatoes with garlic powder and a little sugar, oregano, basil and olive oil, topped with mozzarella, fontina, fontinella and romano cheeses. It's then baked on a pizza stone that's been preheated to 500 degrees to get a nice, crisp crust. There will also be a tossed salad with poppyseed dressing and a clementine orange.

Today’s question: What kind of finishes do you like on guitars.

When I bought my first guitar, I really didn’t like burst finishes, but a few years later the pendulum had swung to the other extreme. The last three guitars I’ve purchased have all had burst finishes, with the one I find most striking the one on my ’98 G&L Legacy (pic at bottom of post, which don't really do it justice!). There’s been some debate over what it is…I was told on this forum when I got it that it was a Tobacco Sunburst. Seems plausible, but it also highly resembles what they now call the Amber Burst. Anyway, I don’t much care what it’s called, I just know I love it!

The one big exception here is that if I ever got an ASAT, I think I’d have to have one with a Butterscotch finish!

G&L Content: Do you wish G&L Guitars were as popular as say Fender or Gibson? Or do you think G&L Guitars are one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world and would just as soon keep it that way?

ImageImage

Re: Lunch Report, Monday May 3, 2010

Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 am

Muleya wrote:Today’s question: What kind of finishes do you like on guitars.

I'm with you on the burst colors. My new Comanche VI in cherryburst is gorgeous.

Yours looks like a tobacky-burst to me. Nice Legacy indeed.

Muleya wrote:The one big exception here is that if I ever got an ASAT, I think I’d have to have one with a Butterscotch finish!

While I don't own a Butterscotch, I totally dig them. If one came along at the right time, I'd be forced to indulge. I had the opportunity to buy a mahogany-bodied ASAT in Butterscotch, with a mahogany neck even, but ended up buying something else. I regret not snagging that one.

Muleya wrote:G&L Content: Do you wish G&L Guitars were as popular as say Fender or Gibson? Or do you think G&L Guitars are one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world and would just as soon keep it that way?

Up to this point, I've been pretty happy that G&L isn't as popular as the two others mentioned. It has allowed me to have fewer competitors for them, and hence kept the prices reasonable. Today, I have a few more guitars than a man needs, and would like to see the demand go up in order for the prices to go up. Does that sound selfish? I suppose it is. So let me say, "Whatever the market dictates, I'll go along with."

Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 am

Not a fan of bursts myself, not sure why. I prefer opaque finishes though I would love something where the grain comes through a bit. whenever I am daydreaming of a custom order, butterscotch is usually at the top of the list, so is the new whiskey color.

I like that the brand is not more well known, makes me feel part of a special club, but it deserves to be, especially for a young player that wants his first Strat.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:14 pm

My problem is I like them all!
My Legacy is Emerald Blue which is the most perfect, blue green, teal color you've ever seen.
My strat (EJ) is oldschool 2-tone and I like that too.
The burst on my '98 Ibanez thinline looks like melted butterscotch and caramel.
They're all good.

On one hand I wish more people knew about G & L because I'd like the company and the fine craftsmen there to continue to grow and prosper.
On the other hand if they were popular and priced like Fender Custom Shop (which they equal IMHO) then I never would have been
able to afford one.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Whatever color your guitar is, it sure is purty.
I usually prefer the looks of the transparent finishes. Like to see the grain.
Some of the bursts I like more than others. Love the Tobacco burst and honey burst finish. The Cherry
burst I like. And I've seen a few pics of the blackburst that looked cool.
But never really went for the blue, green, or traditional sunburst.

G&L Content: Do you wish G&L Guitars were as popular as say Fender or Gibson? Or do you think G&L Guitars are one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world and would just as soon keep it that way?

On the plus side, if G&Ls were more popular it would increase the aftermarket toys/parts you could buy.
But it is kinda nice being in on the secret of G&L.

Jeff

Mon May 03, 2010 1:48 pm

To start with finishes, I like some bursts and some solids. It really depends what the colour combinations are. I have a very nice solid deep red bass and an excellent regular 'sunset burst' guitar. Both are excellent, I don't much care for mixing bright colours in bursts, nor do I like when bursts go to black, I don't like black edges much on my guitars (despite having a blue to black one).

As far as G&L being more popular, that would cause increased prices due to high demand, cannot have that, as a carvin player, I completely understand the underrated gem factor, and want to hoard it all for me!

Mon May 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Hey Muleya, welcome to The Board, pretty Legacy.

On Gibsons I love their tobacco sunbursts but on Strat and Tele style guitars it doesn’t work for me. Black guitars don’t show the contours well, I outgrew the loud colored guitars so that basically leaves white for G&Ls.

I used to want G&Ls to be kept a secret to keep the number of people looking for the same older guitars to a minimum but now that the market has been diluted with Tributes it’s not that big of a deal.

Mon May 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Muleya wrote:Today’s question: What kind of finishes do you like on guitars.

I love bursts and have many. Even one of my Collings acoustics has a Sunburst top. But with ash-bodied ASAT's, I am as much a stickler for tradition. So Butterscotch Blonde and Vintage Blonde are my favorites, but more importantly, you have to be able to see the wood through the finish which limits you to Premier finishes. I have a Jorgenson Sig in Silver Metal Sparkle which I only like because it is such a sharp contrast with the rest of my ASAT's.

Muleya wrote:G&L Content: Do you wish G&L Guitars were as popular as say Fender or Gibson? Or do you think G&L Guitars are one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world and would just as soon keep it that way?

Good question! I would love for more people to play G&L's or at least try them to be able to compare these fine instruments to any Fender out there. I think G&L has carved out a very nice niche in the market. Big enough that they are fairly easy to get (at least here in the US) but small enough that there is still a kind of 'boutique' aura associated with G&L.

Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Muleya, welcome and that is a beautiful legacy. I have a similar one with a GOT neck. I have many different colors, but in the G&L guitars I like transparent colors because they use such beautiful wood grains. I have a couple of candy reds and they are also very nice. The G&L vintage white/ pickguard combination is one of the best. I have always wondered why G&L is such a good buy in the used market. They are certainly as good in quality as the Fender artist series and are also with many of their custom shop models. I do hope that G&Ls become collectable. I have a Fender Eric Clapton custom shop model and it is the least striking looking guitar that I have. I will continue to buy more G&Ls as I find them. -- Darwin :happy0065:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Lots of great replies!

I think my thoughts on G&L's popularity are similar to what a lot of you posted, sort of mixed feelings. I wish more people knew what great instruments they are, but at the same time, it's fun being in on the secret! Plus it's awesome to get such a great instrument for such a great price!

It also feels like a great way to honor George and Leo. They started this whole thing back in the 50's, and G&L is their final rendition of that vision. What better way to say, "Thanks!"

Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 pm

(I grew up in central Kansas).

I also grew up in central Kansas, north of Wichita in Newton, Ks. Now living in Northern California in the Sierras between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Lunch today will be a couple slices of left over pizza

We have also been perfecting the perfect pizza. Sounds similar to your own, only I usually have to sneak in some sweet Italian sausage. We luckily usually have enough home-grown tomatoes to can enough sauce for the year. I think the biggest break through we have experienced was prepping the pizza on parchment paper, and removing the paper from the oven after about 3 minutes. Prior to that, the transport of the pizza was always an iffy proposition.

I think that any finish can be done well, or done poorly, and of course all points in between. I have felt at times that there were already enough guitars with a sunburst finish that there didn't really need to be more, than I see one that is just so good looking, that I realize the finish has more to do with how well it was put on the guitar, than what kind of color(s) it is. I do have a preference for a nice wood grain showing however.

G&L Content: Do you wish G&L Guitars were as popular as say Fender or Gibson?

I tend to feel the free market will put things in a proper perspective. If that means people who spend an extra 50% to get an F or a G that isn't as good as a G&L, too bad for them, the monetary loss due to their decision is, to some degree a punishment for making a poor choice. If G&L is as good a guitar as I think it is, it will survive and thrive because of it's quality, not because of it's past laurels or faddish popularity.

And, btw, that is a very nice looking Legacy you have.

--recluse

Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 am

I also grew up in central Kansas, north of Wichita in Newton, Ks. Now living in Northern California in the Sierras between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I grew up in Wichita and went to college in the thriving metropolis of North Newton (Bethel College)! My parents live in Moundridge, about 12 miles NW of Newton, so I get back occasionally. I never appreciated KS growing up there, but now that I'm living elsewhere I realize it was a decent place to grow up...though I have no desire to move back!

We have also been perfecting the perfect pizza. Sounds similar to your own, only I usually have to sneak in some sweet Italian sausage. We luckily usually have enough home-grown tomatoes to can enough sauce for the year. I think the biggest break through we have experienced was prepping the pizza on parchment paper, and removing the paper from the oven after about 3 minutes. Prior to that, the transport of the pizza was always an iffy proposition.

How funny...we discovered parchment paper a couple years back, too...though we leave the pizza on it the whole time. What's your reasoning for removing it? I love sweet Italian sausage, too, and it shows up from time to time, as do sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, ricotta cheese and roasted red peppers, among others. The home grown tomato sauce sounds awesome, too!

Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 am

went to college in the thriving metropolis of North Newton (Bethel College)!

I spent my freshman year of college at Bethel, 1979-80. I have the same feelings about KS, plus I still have family in Newton and Wichita so I get back every couple of years.

we discovered parchment paper a couple years back, too...though we leave the pizza on it the whole time. What's your reasoning for removing it?

I remove it to allow the pizza contact with the stone, have never left it on the parchment so I don't know that it makes any difference. I am able to reuse the parchment about 10 times before it wears out though. Your list of toppings is making me hungry, I especially like kalamata olives and often make a Pizza Magherita with the addition of the olives.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 am

I spent my freshman year of college at Bethel, 1979-80.

You predate me a few years...I showed up in 1986.

I remove it to allow the pizza contact with the stone, have never left it on the parchment so I don't know that it makes any difference. I am able to reuse the parchment about 10 times before it wears out though.

I may have to try that, just to see what happens. And I never thought of reusing...I think I'll start now!

Your list of toppings is making me hungry
I know, huh? Suddenly that pizza joint across the parking lot is looking more enticing than my country-fried steak!!