Lunch Report 8-29 - Finishes, Bands, and Gardens

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 am

Lunch today was a pastrami sandwich and some watermelon.  Finishing it off with some coffee right now.

G&L Topic:

G&L has so many fantastic finishes.  Lately, I have really been digging the Old School Tobacco Burst.  I prefer the burst finishes to be more subtle.  Several of the honey burst on their Facebook page are just stellar.  I also really like their metallic paints.  Margarita metallic is probably my favorite.  What are your favorite finishes?

Music Topic:

I was reading on another board a thread about your 5 most under rated bands..  I think this is an impossible question to answer, not sure I could ever get them in order.  I can name bands I feel are under rated.  One would be Drivin'n'Cryin' - they were definitely over shadowed by others out of the Athens scene.  Finally got to see DNC in person last summer in the Detroit area (some small blues club - don't recall the name or town).  It was a fantastic show with Cheetah Chrome as guest guitarist.  Scared by Smarter, Whisper Tames the Lion, Mystery Road, all great albums.  They came out with 4 new EPs which I picked up while at the show.  For the most part pretty good.  Tangent off of Cheetah Chrome, when Rocket From the Tomb dissolved, one of the bands to come out of it was Pere Ubu.  Been looking for stuff from them as I don't have any in my collection, but what I have found on u-tube has been pretty amazing.  Kurt Cobain said they were trying to rip the Pixies, well Pixies might have been trying to rip Pere Ubu.  I describe it as controlled chaos - I know it don't make sense.  Very dynamic, loud, weird, fun!  When you think of under rated bands, who comes to mind?

Other Topic:

Any gardeners out there?  How's your garden doing.  I been busy the last few weeks canning a lot of tomatoes.  I got around four cases of tomatoes already.  Been also pickling beets and freezing corn.  Plan on making sour kraut later once the cabbage is ready.  Brussel sprouts aren't sprouting like they should.  I think the squash shaded them too much.  Soon it will be time to pick the hops, looking forward to making a batch beer with them.  What you growing?

Re: Lunch Report 8-29 - Finishes, Bands, and Gardens

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi WitSok,

Thanks for starting the day.

The I agree with you about the old school tobacco burst. Darker is better, for that finish. The other finish I like is the ruby red metallic.

As for under-rated bands. Geez, I don't know any bands that fit the category.

Lunch today was tuna that my wife made, with hardboiled eggs, celery, and not much mayo. She's on a diet, and I would prefer a bit more mayo.

No garden this year.

Later,

edg

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Thats a quality lunch.

Fave finishes are Fullerton Red, Spanish Copper and Blonde. Not necessarily in that order. Two-tone burst and OSTSB are really nice too. I had a Classic S in OSTSB that was a very nice guitar.

There are so many underrated bands out there, it seems like almost anything I listen to now has something great going on. Except on commercial radio, thats all the usual rubbish.

We've had disaster after disaster in our garden for 4 years now. First year we were moving house at prime planting season and missed the window. The dog dug it up for the next couple of years in a row, so this year I build a really solid wall around the verge patch. It kept the dog out, but not the possums. Everything that sprouted this year (we grow from seed) was eaten by those little bastards. Plan this time is to build a "Hell-in-the-cell" type cage to keep everything out.

Growing hops is a great idea, I'll have to get onto that. I haven't brewed anything for over a year but was getting pretty good at it, fresh hops could only make things better. Are you an all grain brewer, WItsok?

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Well WitSok I'm not sure how watermelon and pastrami go between bread slices but it sounds good. ;)

All seriousness aside, much better lunch than mine. A general trip to the dentist this morning so I wanted to keep the shiny feeling for as long as possible.

Drivin and Cryin definately underrated but kind flamed out. They opened for the Who a few dates in the late 90's and Roger Daltrey (or Pete I don't remember) gave them high regards. My favorite underrated band is Marillion. If you're not a progressive rock fan, Steve Rothery fan or were a only fan when they had their hit Kayleigh in the 80's with Fish as singer you may not know them. I have followed them for a LONG time and IMHO they have a great sound, gotten better over the years and Rothery just needs an S-500. :evilgrin:

My favorite finishes are honey burst, metallic red, cherry burst and blonde not necessarily in that order. But we all know black guitars sound better.

No garden this year at my house. My parents have a bumper crop of tomatoes and peppers which have made some tasty salsa.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:08 pm

guitar_ed wrote:The I agree with you about the old school tobacco burst. Darker is better, for that finish. The other finish I like is the ruby red metallic.

I'm with you on the ruby red metallic. I remember seeing a SC-2 in Ruby Red, ebony fingerboard, wood top binding, and paint match headstock. It was quite stunning.

blargfromouterspace wrote:We've had disaster after disaster in our garden for 4 years now. First year we were moving house at prime planting season and missed the window. The dog dug it up for the next couple of years in a row, so this year I build a really solid wall around the verge patch. It kept the dog out, but not the possums. Everything that sprouted this year (we grow from seed) was eaten by those little bastards. Plan this time is to build a "Hell-in-the-cell" type cage to keep everything out.

I feel your frustration. This is the first time in four years that we actually had good tomatoes. I have some critter that is stealing tomatoes, probably a raccoon and occasionally my dog. Just hope the sprouts start developing. Bacon with brussel sprouts is a favorite around our house.

blargfromouterspace wrote:Growing hops is a great idea, I'll have to get onto that. I haven't brewed anything for over a year but was getting pretty good at it, fresh hops could only make things better. Are you an all grain brewer, WItsok?

Yep, been brewing since 1992. Switch to all grain on my second batch. It is amazing how the hobby has grown and how much better the ingredients and information is these days compare to 24 years ago. Took me over a year before I was making good beer. Now people are having very good success early on. As a beer judge I had a lot opportunities to try homebrew from all over the country, and it was noticeable how the overall quality of the entries improved over the years. I really enjoy some your Australian hops, especially Galaxy and Topaz. Topaz almost reminds me of Citra hops here in the States.

sam wrote: My favorite underrated band is Marillion. If you're not a progressive rock fan, Steve Rothery fan or were a only fan when they had their hit Kayleigh in the 80's with Fish as singer you may not know them. I have followed them for a LONG time and IMHO they have a great sound, gotten better over the years and Rothery just needs an S-500.

Marillion would be new to me. I'll have to check them out.

sam wrote:My favorite finishes are honey burst, metallic red, cherry burst and blonde not necessarily in that order. But we all know black guitars sound better.

I was thinking a Z-3 (well, actual Z-2 -- please bring it back) in honey burst, parchment pg, black cover Z-coils, rosewood FB, and black painted headstock would be sweet.

Cheers everyone, Dan

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Blarg, should have mentioned the hops I'm growing are Chinook. They are in their 2nd year. I used to grow Santiam, Cascade, and Goldings - but they are now underneath the addition we had put on our house 4 years ago. Goldings didn't really produce much - more a waste of space. :cheers:

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Not much to add here...

Being partial to older G&Ls, my fave finishes are White or Blue, and at least thirty years old. Some of the sunbursts from about '90-'91 were gorgeous. I've owned an L-1500 in Clear Orange over very tight-grained swamp ash (currently for sale by Atomic Music) and still have a fretless L-2K with the same combo, both from 1999 or 2000. They are both beautiful. Of the current G&L finishes I've seen, my favorite by far is Belair Green. It is much nicer than the original finish with that name, from the early 1990s.

No room for a garden here. My last attempt was when I lived in Maine fifteen years ago, on a lot that had been farmland for over a hundred years. I got a big patch in the backyard very nicely tilled, but the next year hunks of granite larger than bowling balls started to push up from below. I couldn't till it again, and pulled the plug the next year.

I've just started listening to Pere Ubu. For back catalogs, I usually start with the first album and go from there. So far I've listened to The Modern Dance and Dub Housing a lot in the car, and have been very impressed with both albums. I found a copy of one of their late '80s albums in a used CD shop a few weeks ago, and wasn't nearly as happy with it. Seeing as Pere Ubu were starting out in Ohio around the same time as Devo, and the Pixies started about ten years later, I can't see how Pere Ubu could have been ripping the Pixies.

My top pick for an underrated band these days is Lydia Loveless. I found her when somebody posted a link on this forum a couple of years ago. The fact that her guitarist plays an early SC-2, and that she plays one as well sometimes, definitely drew my attention.

Ken

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:37 pm

I am going to change one of my answers, and suggest that people give Hayes Carll a listen. Alt-country stuff. Some of it funny, some of it sad.

edg

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 am

KenC wrote:Being partial to older G&Ls, my fave finishes are White or Blue, and at least thirty years old. Some of the sunbursts from about '90-'91 were gorgeous.

I really like Fullerton Red and Viking Blue used on the old SC line of guitars. I like how the Viking Blue yellows and takes on a green tint. The burst finish on my SC-3 has grown on me. For the S-500s, Skyhawks, F-100s (professional line) I really like the Trans Blue and Trans Red.

KenC wrote:Seeing as Pere Ubu were starting out in Ohio around the same time as Devo, and the Pixies started about ten years later, I can't see how Pere Ubu could have been ripping the Pixies.

WitSok wrote:Kurt Cobain said they were trying to rip the Pixies, well Pixies might have been trying to rip Pere Ubu.

I think my sentence structure is weird and made it confusing. And rip probably isn't the right word. I've never heard Pere Ubu sited as an influence on the Pixie, but I certainly believe the Pixes were influence by Pere Ubu. There are thing Pere Ubu were doing a decade earlier than the Pixies that are strongly similar.

guitar_ed wrote:I am going to change one of my answers, and suggest that people give Hayes Carll a listen. Alt-country stuff. Some of it funny, some of it sad.

going to have to check that out too.