Lunch Report 8-12-2016

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:59 am

OK, well I hadn't seen a lunch report in a few days and today has been a bit slow at work so I thought I would give it a shot. My apologies if it isn't up to traditional standards.

Met my dad for lunch today at a local Italian restaurant and had some cheese pizza and a diet coke. Not the most healthy lunch I have ever had but I couldn't resist.

G&L Topic:
What was your most recent G&L purchase?
I picked up one of those CLF Centennial L-2000 bass guitars from the G&L store that they added last week and it should be delivered today. I don't play bass yet but I have been wanting to give it a shot and toying with the idea of picking up a bass for a while. When those popped up on the store page I thought, why not? Speaking of which this prototype bass looks like a pretty cool item for someone's collection.

General Topics:
How many of you setup and maintain your own guitars/basses?
I have generally been having local techs take care of it but the more guitars I seem to find lying about and take home with me the more I think I need to start doing it myself. I bought most of the tools I would need to do a basic setup a few months ago and just need to bite the bullet and give it a shot.

Where do you store the cases?
For those of you that have a decent amount of guitars, where do you keep all the cases? Most of my guitars are hung on the wall in various locations around the house. I find that having them in easy reach means I am more likely to play them. My house doesn't have a lot of storage and here in Texas we don't have basements so storing the empty cases can be problematic, at least for my wife who thinks having them stacked in the middle room is a "bad" idea.

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

Re: Lunch Report 8-12-2016

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Hmmmm......

My last G&L purchase was a bass, a 3-bolt L1K.

I can do most of my own electronics work, but truss rod stuff I farm out to a local luthier.

Most of my guitars are in their cases, or gig bags, and they stay there until I play them. If somebody did a movie called "Guitar Story", I would not be the good owner. Kind the in between owner.

edg

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 pm

haven't had any time lately to post much so short and sweet

1997 ASAT Deluxe , a quilted type of flame , 3 bolt ,slim rosewood neck , light weight and bound ... Tim Page said it was a early one on FB

I do basic truss rod , string height stuff , intonation , shim 4 bolter's or adjust 3 bolter's .... we have a fabulous tech/luither that loves G&L , I trust him with anything I got

I store my cases mostly inside with the ones I gig in the garage , but it's a small problem as long as I don't have/bring anymore home

BLT with extra bacon and apple sauce for lunch :)
Last edited by Fumble fingers on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:47 pm

You don't get much better than a G&L bass, and those centennial models look really nice. Good choice - do you have a bass amp yet?

I do my own setups, but am considering getting them done professionally. They used to stay set up year round, but since moving to a place where temperature drops to around freezing point on a regular basis I've found it increasingly difficult to keep them playing well.

'm lucky enough to have a large studio/music room so case storage is not a problem for me. I'll take a gig bag over a case, given the option. They take up less space.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Hey Dalto, thanks for the lunch report! Thought about doing one earlier in the week but was secretly hoping someone else would jump in.

Today is a staycation day, so I had left over sloppy joe and some mac n' cheese with the family. Afterwards, stopped by my friends brewery for a couple pints.

My most recent purchase was the '85 SC-3 that is in my avatar. It was the day before Thanksgiving and the GC in Rockford, IL was on my way to visit family for the holiday. I had saw the previous week they had an SC-3 and really was only stopping because I wanted to try a vintage G&L. Didn't go intending to buy, but... Those old SC guitars are very cool IMO. I still looking for the value priced vintage SC-2 that is near by.

I still would like to complete my MFD collection, so MFD buckers and some z-coils. Maybe a 25th anniversary ASAT or build to order F-100. I'd like to see the Z-2 return, but will probably go for w good value Z-3. I might have to hide them though...

Both of me new US built G&L didn't require any set-up. The SC-3 when I bought it was set-up well so I haven't had to adjust it. I bought my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe used and the previous owner(s) already had it set-up. The intonation is just slightly off of the Special Deluxe, but it is so close that I haven't bothered with it. The only guitars I have had to setup have been all imports. These all supposedly were inspected and set-up by the US factories but I really don't believe they were. In each case they came from a big box store. Makes we wonder if the big boxes get direct shipments from the foreign factories and the small mom and pops get theirs from the US factory after going through inspection and set-up. Basically they all needed truss rod adjustment and intonation. I had only one were I was getting a bit uncomfortable with truss rod adjustment as it seemed to being doing the opposite of what I was expecting - perhaps it was more an issue with the level of the frets. I think my discomfort was in part it was guitar I just purchased for my daughter and I didn't want to screw it up.

My cases sit in a closet that is the access to my crawl space. It is near where I hang my guitars so it is easy to grab the case when I need to take one of my guitars somewhere. A lot of people keep them under beds.

Thanks for the report again. Cheers, Dan

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Howdy dalton,

Thanks for putting this LR together. Nice you picked up that L-2000 CLF used for the photoshoot.

Lets see what my answers will be ...

dalto wrote:G&L Topic:
What was your most recent G&L purchase?

A 1986 Skyhawk w/Kahler 2320 flat-mounted fine-tuner Kahler vibrato and maple board, which I bought out of an estate sale. The guitar sounds very powerful and is a joy to play. I lately have bought quite a number of G&Ls with Kahler vibrato and I really like the damn contraption while not having cared about a Kahler (or Floyd Rose for that matter) for about 30 years prior. In accordance with a long standing tradition on this forum, here some pics to prove the guitar exists:
ImageImage

dalto wrote:General Topics:
How many of you setup and maintain your own guitars/basses?

I have been doing my own setup now for years. Initially, there was the scare you'd fubar it but now I have all confidence taking the guitar apart, putting it together again, and tweak whatever needs tweaking. Still short of an soldering iron though.

dalto wrote:Where do you store the cases?

I keep all my guitars in their case (safest option IMO) in my music room.

- Jos

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:55 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
A 1986 Skyhawk w/Kahler 2320 flat-mounted fine-tuner Kahler vibrato and maple board, which I bought out of an estate sale.

Damn, I've been doing great job keeping my G.A.S. at bay ,seeing gems like that almost push me off the wagon.
Nice find Jos, Were you just at an estate sale and the G&L gravitated toward you, or did you go specifically for the guitar?

The last G&L I bought was an '89 L-2000. A couple years ago, I didn't plan on it but it showed up on ebay for 599 and I couldn't stop myself.

Had I seen this L-2000 before it sold I'm sure I'd have one more on the way(BIN 299!!)

I do my own set-ups too, it's very satisfying after the slight learning curve.

Thanks for the Lunchertainment ! :)

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Elwood wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:
A 1986 Skyhawk w/Kahler 2320 flat-mounted fine-tuner Kahler vibrato and maple board, which I bought out of an estate sale.

Damn, I've been doing great job keeping my G.A.S. at bay ,seeing gems like that almost push me off the wagon.
Nice find Jos, Were you just at an estate sale and the G&L gravitated toward you, or did you go specifically for the guitar?

Hey Elwood,

That one just gravitated towards me. I had been on the lookout for a Skyhawk w/maple board for quite a while. And then it popped up on eBay, just not under a standard category, which likely caused most of us to miss it. I looked in "All Categories" and BAM!! There it was. Funny how these things happen.

That Clear Blue over swamp ash is a nice color too, don't you think?

- Jos

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:31 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:That Clear Blue over swamp ash is a nice color too, don't you think?

It glows soo nice, not helping with the addiction at alll...thanks :fighting0030: :lol:
I do love those serendipitous moments, I remember Brandon scored an Interceptor that was listed in 'collectables'.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:44 am

Great LR. For lunch I had a cold cut plate with cheese and coleslaw. Da boss is trying to make lunches, more simple and healthier. I like it.

My last G&L was the LE-2, #3

Fantastic guitar. Right now the neck pickup doesn't work.

I do basic maintenance myself, strings, changing stuff, but send the guitars out to a luthier for neck issues, intonation, nut, etc.

I had the guitar in at a G&L dealer to fix (wire is off the pup),do a setup, etc, I wanted him to change the pots and caps, but after many weeks, he couldn't get to it, so I brought it home. I'm thinking of getting the proper soldering iron, etc and just doing it myself. But I haven't yet, lol. Thinking about it...Then 1 day I'll just do it.

Since I like my guitars to be out where I can see them and grab them, I keep the cases in a closet. Most of my cases are sideways behind my clothes so you can't see them.

Right now, I only have 5 guitars so its not too bad, when I had 11, it was more of an issue.

I have GAS for:

Lefty US Fallout, would be a great compliment to the LE-2
ASAT with 2 humbuckers
S-500

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:15 am

dang Jos !! .... another absolute fabulous guitar that ended up in the right collection ..... I don't think I have ever seen a maple board Skyhawk , the clear blue is sweet , looks sweet on the LE 2 too ( I might be biased on clear blue ) .. congrats

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:dang Jos !! .... another absolute fabulous guitar that ended up in the right collection ..... I don't think I have ever seen a maple board Skyhawk , the clear blue is sweet , looks sweet on the LE 2 too ( I might be biased on clear blue ) .. congrats

Hey Eric,

This one, listed multiple times at different sites and only differing from mine in the vibrato used, and this one on ggjaguar's web site are the only ones I have seen pictures of. Greg's Skyhawk is currently offered by Atomic Music in an auction on daBay and has a bit of a story to it. And I know, ggjaguar has another one, also a Sig, which I have never seen. But there are 67 Skyhawks w/maple board registered together with another 31 Skyhawk Signatures. So there are plenty of them around, taking up about 1/3 of the total number of (registered) Skyhawks. However, unsurprisingly to those who have played them, they just don't surface that frequently. Because, why would you part with one? ;-)

- Jos

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:52 pm

WitSok wrote:I still would like to complete my MFD collection, so MFD buckers and some z-coils.

The collector in me just realized that I don't have any of the MFD buckers either.....

WitSok wrote:A lot of people keep them under beds.

I may have see if there is any space under there. That is a good idea.

yowhatsshakin wrote:A 1986 Skyhawk w/Kahler 2320 flat-mounted fine-tuner Kahler vibrato and maple board, which I bought out of an estate sale

That is a nice find! Never seen one quite like that.

yowhatsshakin wrote:I have been doing my own setup now for years. Initially, there was the scare you'd fubar it but now I have all confidence taking the guitar apart, putting it together again, and tweak whatever needs tweaking. Still short of an soldering iron though.

That is pretty funny because I had no hesitation going an buying a soldering iron and replacing some pickups the other day but the idea of messing with the neck or anything else made of wood terrifies me.

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:In my home office I have a closet. All my guitar cases go in there. I've been able to get 30 guitar cases (rectangular/Fender style) in a small closet. Guess I've figured out a pretty good system over the years.

That must be a good sized closet! I wish we had more closet space here.

astutzmann wrote:My last G&L was the LE-2, #3

Those are fantastic. I wish I had been around when those were offered.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Hey,

My last G&L was a white Nighthawk and it weighs a ton! It makes it a tough guitar to get comfortable with. It sounds and plays well but must weigh over 10#s.

I can adjust truss rods and turn things so setting up the guitars is easy. If I was a pro then I would have a luthier set them up. I do have Joe Champagne do fret jobs when needed. He is as good as it gets and also tends to Buddy Guy's guitars.

All my guitars (60+) are snug in their cases. I usually have two or three that are in a rotation sort of deal. Mostly it is my trusty George Fullerton signed SC-3 and a Heritage H-140 or a Heritage Kenny Rambow model.

Guitars are very safe in cases. Live and learn.

y2kc

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey Dalto,

Thanks for keeping the LR going, great stuff! :happy0065: Who will be up next week?

My last G&L was a ASAT 25th Anniversary. Cool little guitar with the F100 pups. Have my eye on a couple now, we shall see :searching:

Maintenance wise I try to do some work but don't trust myself with soldering iron yet. More comfortable to just "call the guy"

Cases cases everywhere. Some guitars are on a wall and some in there cases. Many cases are stored under a train set we have set up on a large board, some are stacked in a music storage area and a couple I stash in my sons room to hide with one of his guitars.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:15 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Elwood wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

Hey Elwood,

That one just gravitated towards me. I had been on the lookout for a Skyhawk w/maple board for quite a while. And then it popped up on eBay, just not under a standard category, which likely caused most of us to miss it. I looked in "All Categories" and BAM!! There it was. Funny how these things happen.

That Clear Blue over swamp ash is a nice color too, don't you think?

- Jos

There is one on Reverb but with Ebony fretboard. It looks a bit darker than yours, could just be the light though.

https://reverb.com/item/1493847-g-l-sky ... arent-blue

Tom

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:23 pm

FZTNT wrote:There is one on Reverb but with Ebony fretboard. It looks a bit darker than yours, could just be the light though.

https://reverb.com/item/1493847-g-l-sky ... arent-blue

Tom

Had been following that one for quite a while too. Except for vibrato and board practically its twin. And the fact the board wasn't maple withheld me going for that one. Offered for a good price now! (Hint, hint)

- Jos

Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:39 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Tom
Had been following that one for quite a while too. Except for vibrato and board practically its twin. And the fact the board wasn't maple withheld me going for that one. Offered for a good price now! (Hint, hint)

- Jos

Hint Hint Indeed Jos.

I wouldn't mind having a Skyhawk one day just to complete the Hawk series in my collection. I picked up a Nighthawk a while ago in much better shape for only a few bucks more. Condition is a major factor in my purchases. Unless something so rare comes along that it would be the only chance to have it in that kind of condition. If it were in the condition yours is in it would be mine probably.

I prefer Ebony for the most part. It's just such a solid wood with so much character and really sets off the whole look of a guitar. I do like Birds Eye Maple on the right guitar though.

Tom