Lunch Report 8-5-16 - TGIF

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:53 am

I know traffic really slows down on Friday and the weekends, but yous should still have lunch!

Lunch today will be leftover chicken cacciatore. We used fresh garden tomatoes and peppers to make the sauce. Was so tasty last night.

G&L Topics:

I recall reading that G&L was tinkering with making Alnico variant of the large MFD pick-up. I think this could open up new opportunities for G&L as it seems for many if it doesn't have Alnico magnets they won't even give it a try. I doubt it would ever replace the MFD for me, but I do think it would be interesting to try. What do you think?

Merchandise, I wish there was more. I saw Guild has logo work shirt with the "Made To Be Played" slogan. I would totally buy a G&L "The Real Ones" work shirt. Some signs or prints to hang on my walls. I like the Ax Men shirt, but last I looked they were sold out. Is there any merchandise that you would buy?

Non G&L Equipment Topics:

I recently tried my hand at multi-track recording. I have a new appreciation for sound people. Not as easy as I was expecting. I am struggling too get the right mix / balance between the track. Right now I'm using Audacity. Do any of you record at home? what do you use? I can't play the drum kit so I am looking for something to program the drum / percussion tracks, any recommendations?

What strings do you prefer? I been using a variety of strings. So far I like the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys on my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. My LE-2 ans ASAT Classic S I've been using the D'addario nickel wound 10's. I believe this is what the factor uses. I probably keep the two US guitars on 10's since the where pleked with 10's but I'm open to other brands. I picked up a set od D'addario XLNY 9's to try on my SC-3 for it's next string change. I'll run this one on 9's as that is what G&L was using back then. Just curious what you guys / gals are using. Does MFD vs Alnico affect your choice of string?

Other Topic:

I don't go to see movies often, I think the last one I saw in the theater was Zoolander 2. I liked it, but it really wasn't anywhere as good as the first one. Okay, I like stupid funnies. One movie that I do want to see is Now You See Me the Second Act. I enjoyed the first one. My family ended seeing the second one without me, they got impatient. They said it was really good, luckily they have kept tight lipped. So what have you seen recently and what would you like to see?

Bon Appetit, Dan

Re: Lunch Report 8-5-16 - TGIF

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:17 pm

Hey Dan,

I do not want your great effort go to waste. Thanks for a putting in a LR. It's a bit later in the afternoon here now so lunch is in the past. It was some great steak frites, medium rare with yummy kind of runny cheese on top!

WitSok wrote:I recall reading that G&L was tinkering with making Alnico variant of the large MFD pick-up. I think this could open up new opportunities for G&L as it seems for many if it doesn't have Alnico magnets they won't even give it a try. I doubt it would ever replace the MFD for me, but I do think it would be interesting to try. What do you think?

Since they practically have the same footprint, it might very well be one can consider Paul Gagon's spec'ed P90 pickup to be that replacement already. Just my guess.

WitSok wrote:I would totally buy a G&L "The Real Ones" work shirt.

Would love one of these "The Real Ones" T-shirts too. But judging from reactions of my colleagues, G&L current T-shirt with Leo Fender autograph is pretty cool too. Especially when I was wearing it when "The Rembrandt" came in. Incidentally, the signature on "The Rembrandt" did NOT act as the template for either the Signature series guitars and basses nor this T-shirt.

WitSok wrote:I recently tried my hand at multi-track recording. I have a new appreciation for sound people. Not as easy as I was expecting. I am struggling too get the right mix / balance between the track. Right now I'm using Audacity. Do any of you record at home? what do you use? I can't play the drum kit so I am looking for something to program the drum / percussion tracks, any recommendations?

For me, recording is so long in the past, any advice would be obsolete

WitSok wrote:What strings do you prefer?

Dan, like you I am not too picky although I have settles on D'Addario in general. I use .011 on my ASAT Classic in open-G because it seems to have about the same tension as the 0.010 I use on most others. Many of the pre-BBE guitars have .009s as they originally came with. My Legacy Special opened up quite a bit from a semi-anemic sound to big and bold only after I went to .011s on that one too. And some of the semi-hollows have .011s with wound G-string for a little more bottom. Hmmm. :think: Writing this all down, it seems I did conscientiously make some choices on what strings to use on what guitar ... So much for not being picky ;-)

WitSok wrote:So what have you seen recently and what would you like to see?

Movies...??? What are movies? I haven't seen one in more than 2 years because the last one I saw was when I was still at PopCap. Don't even remember whether it was the Batman one or the Avengers. They all look the same to me.

Thanks again Dan!

- Jos

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Dan-O you are on a roll :happy0007: and as Jos said, don't want yer effort and good topics going to waste.

Lunch today was a coke and bag of trail mix at the airport. Yes, another "healthy" food day.

Ditto on Jos. Gagon's pups sound good, so broaden the offering if the buyers are there. Test a design in Tribby form first?

I still think "The Real Ones" is the best G&L slogan and I would get a t-shirt with that on it.

Recording? I need to call "the guy"

Ernie Ball Slinkys and D'Addario's for me. 10's on most but use 9's often on the ones with b-bender

Movies are usually with my kids, so it is anything from Finding Dory to Captain America.

Remember...it's never to late to visit the GLDP cafe

Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:38 pm

WitSok wrote:Lunch today will be leftover chicken cacciatore. We used fresh garden tomatoes and peppers to make the sauce. Was so tasty last night.

For me it was a healthy burger & fries from a local fast food chain.

WitSok wrote:I recall reading that G&L was tinkering with making Alnico variant of the large MFD pick-up. I think this could open up new opportunities for G&L as it seems for many if it doesn't have Alnico magnets they won't even give it a try. I doubt it would ever replace the MFD for me, but I do think it would be interesting to try. What do you think?

It sounds interesting but like the others I wonder how that would be different than a P-90. The P-90's in my ASAT Jr II are fantastic.

WitSok wrote:Merchandise, I wish there was more. I saw Guild has logo work shirt with the "Made To Be Played" slogan. I would totally buy a G&L "The Real Ones" work shirt. Some signs or prints to hang on my walls. I like the Ax Men shirt, but last I looked they were sold out. Is there any merchandise that you would buy?

I would like some G&L shirts if they came in colors other than black or white.

WitSok wrote:What strings do you prefer? I been using a variety of strings. So far I like the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys on my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. My LE-2 ans ASAT Classic S I've been using the D'addario nickel wound 10's. I believe this is what the factor uses. I probably keep the two US guitars on 10's since the where pleked with 10's but I'm open to other brands. I picked up a set od D'addario XLNY 9's to try on my SC-3 for it's next string change. I'll run this one on 9's as that is what G&L was using back then. Just curious what you guys / gals are using. Does MFD vs Alnico affect your choice of string?

Pretty much Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys for me. I recently bought a guitar that came with Ernie Ball RPS strings and those were good too.

WitSok wrote: So what have you seen recently and what would you like to see?

I don't see movies very often either but the last movie I saw was when I took my kids to see Warcraft.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Lunch: Split pea soup with homemade bread and apple cider(with a little pomegranate).

I'm totally addicted to TI powerbrights,
the extra cost seems small since they last so long and sound and feel so good.
I won't use anything else. I'm afraid to try the powerbright bass strings, I've found I can make the
ernie ball extra slinkys sound real good with MFDs, and they don't cost $70.

Curt Mangan strings are nice too, they were my staple for a while.
Worst strings: DR Black Beauties

I'd buy a G&L fez. :smoking030:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:57 pm

Lunch today was a box of white cheddar kraft dinner. Expired no less !

I would love to try that G&L P-90 . Love those MFD's though

I will agree with the others " The real ones " would buy one of those shirts . I don't mind the G&L guitars& basses shirt on the website right now. But they never update so it has probably been out of stock for a year.

Recording interests me. Garage band is about as far as I have progressed . No help there I am afraid.

D'addario nickel wound XL"s 10's for all my (electric )guitars. I like that I can buy a ten pack for a deal. I am considering trying slide, so I might have to try something else. But who knows. I can't tell if the strings sound different with different pick ups . They sound good on my G&L's and with the 57 classics on my other guitar that starts with a G. I have some Tomastik Infeld bass strings that I bought 2 years ago that I have yet to install. I hope they are good as they weren't cheap. I will let you know in another 2 years.

Funny you should ask about movies. My wife and I just saw " Jason Bourne " last Saturday. It was a long weekend so the theater was mostly empty. Other wise there are few that I will make an exception for. Maybe one a year, the rest in the comfort of home. We both felt filthy after the show. The movie was good though. We are both big fans of the franchise. Silly funnies you say? Old school , BottleRocket and I make sure I watch Rushmore at least once a year. " Is that latin ?"