Lunch Report 8-4-16 - New Rookie Effort

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:47 am

Greeting everyone!  The café is open.

Lunch today is a ham sub sandwich, cheese curds, and watermelon.  Not the most exciting...

G&L Topics:

A while back I remember a thread about things you would like to see G&L do.  I have to admit Sam's "Manchild" is pretty sweet.  The large MFD pickups are my favorite pickups.  I think a Bluesboy Special would be a cool addition.  Saddle-Lock bridge, Large MFD bridge pickup and F-100 MFD neck pickup (possibly wound different if necessary to get the right tone) and add a push/pull pot to split the MFD neck pickup.  I think I've seen a picture of a guitar like this, it may have been an employee build.  Anyone else think this would be a cool addition?

One thing that confused me when I first learned about G&L was the difference between the S-500 and Legacy (I understand now).  After all, they basically look the same.  I think it would be really sweet if the S-500 would revert back to the original body style / layout.  I believe it shares the same profile as the F-100.  To me the slimmer waist, control layout on a separate plate, and even the output jack out the front give them a cool feel and are just ooze mojo.  I think it would also help differentiate it from the Legacy.  The one issue I see is not having the tooling set-up for the Tribute series.  Anyone else like to see the old body style reintroduced?

What things would you like to see G&L do?

Music Topics:

Another thread I recall was debating the death of good modern music.  There were people on both sides of the fence.  I on the side that believe there is still good music being made, it just seems a little harder to find.  When internet radio came out it seemed odd to me.  Speeds were not that great so buffering issues made it seem like impractical technology.  Now that the bandwidth can handle the data, I find I really do enjoy my internet radio - now I can get those stations that are out of range.  On particular station I have been enjoying for several years now is 88 NINE Radio Milwaukee (WYMS).  They play a wide variety of music:  World music, local music, indie, hip hop, punk, post-punk, new wave, reggae...  I'll be listening and find myself going wow, I would have never of thought of giving these guys / gals a try - I LIKE IT!  It is non-commercial station so you get more music per hour too.  I recently became a supporter, as a supporter I get opportunities to attend studio events.  I recently attended studio session with Diane Coffee.  What are your hidden gems?  What is it you like about them.

http://www.radiomilwaukee.org<http://www.radiomilwaukee.org>
<http://www.raidomilwaukee.org>
What bands are you enjoying now that other might not be aware of?  One of my new favorites is the Adam Ezra Group.  I saw them for the first time at Independence Grove Forest Preserve in Libertyville, IL.  They have free concerts there on Tuesday night.  The best way I can describe the Adam Ezra Group is it like Bruce Springsteen, Rusted Root, Bon Jovi and Tom Petti melded together.  I've seen them three times this year, once in St. Charles, at Independence Grove again, and at Mundelein Days.  So who are you liking?

http://www.adamezra.com<http://www.adamezra.com>

Other Topics:

Sam brought up vacations (awesome vacation again Sam!).  One of my favorite things to do on vacation is to eat and drink.  What are your local stops that you would recommend to visitors?  For craft beer, I would recommend Tighthead Brewing Company in Mundelein, IL.  I've been friends with the owner Bruce and the brewers Billy and Adam for years - well before Bruce opened Tighthead.  Chicago Magazine rated Irie IPA as the best IPA in Chicago.  IIRC, their Comfortably Blond also received best Blonde in Chicago.  The tap room doesn't serve food, but you can bring your own food or order in food from any of the local restaurants.  Occasionally they will have a food truck on premise.  Thursday nights are live music nights.  The place is also dog friendly, just need to be on a leash.  My Rottweiler loves meeting new people and dogs there.

http://www.tightheadbrewing.com<http://www.tightheadbrewing.com>

My favorite local restaurant would be the Firkin in Libertyville, IL.  Small bar with about 30 beers on tap plus a good selection of bottles and can.  Feels like you're in the city rather than the burbs.  The décor is festive and fund.  My personal favorite is the smoke salmon panini.  A tasty sandwich with goat cheese, roasted veggies and wonderful smoked salmon.  The BLT is not shabby either.  A seasonal favorite would be the soft shell crabs that have flown in.  YUM!  These are two places I would recommend if you are in the area.

http://www.firkinoflibertyville.com<http://www.firkinoflibertyville.com>

What places would you recommend and why?

Cheers, Dan
Last edited by WitSok on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lunch Report 8-4-16 - New Rookie Effort

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:01 am

Hey ! Great to see another lunch report , I had totally missed the one that Sam did one the other day.

I agree with you about the large MFD's . Two out my three G&L's have them , I have a re-issue SC-2 and an 86 ASAT . I am terrible at describing sounds so at some point I will have to post sound clips. That being said , I'm not sure what I would want G&L to do . Since I bought my ASAT my leanings are biased towards pre-BBE era G&L's. My first G&L was an S-500 that I bought second hand. After searching for what seemed like forever , the S-500 and a Legacy showed up at the same time. I went with S-500 because of the MFD's. A re-issue Cavalier maybe ? I think the solution to an original body style S-500 would be to ( brace for it ) find and buy an original S-500. I hope to pick up a Leo era SC-2 some day.

As far as new music goes I listen to SOMA FM fairly often. Commercial free, lots of channels. " The Kills " are a band I recently discovered . I like old school classic rock and all kinds of riff driven guitar songs. I am actually open to most music now that I think about it.

There are a ton of craft brewers in Vancouver. Parallel 49 has some great beers ( Jerkface 9000 ) is probably my favorite and they have a small tasting room in the front of the brewery. No food but you can order in . In East Van of course.

I could write a page about all the great restaurants in Vancouver. Short and sweet, Yolks at Hastings and Clarke. The BEST french toast I have ever had. Awesome breakfast fare ( I think they have lunch ) they close at 3pm. Heavy lines ups unless you go early or late. Great east Van vibe. Lots of tatoos and nose rings . Very friendly . I like the option of a screwdriver with breakfast. Honorable mention goes to " The Ramen Butcher " on east georgia in Chinatown. If you like authentic Japanese Ramen you hit the jackpot here , house made noodles , great broths.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for stepping up. There's nothing in particular I'd like to see G&L do, as I keep my focus on the older ones and have been fortunate enough to try most of those models. On the low-end side, it would be interesting to see an accurate re-issue of the El Toro. A modern Cavalier wouldn't be bad, either. Those pickups were amazing. I guess it would be nice to see G&L develop the baritone concept that Leo was working on at the end of his life.

Most of my listening is to older stuff, especially if I missed it the first time around. I've been very impressed recently with a British musician named Rob St. John, and with an alt-country singer named Lydia Loveless. Her guitarist plays a Leo-era SC-2, and she occasionally plays one as well.

Being in the Baltimore/DC area, we have plenty of restaurants to chose from. I avoid going into DC whenever possible (too expensive and dirty), as well as downtown Baltimore (too much gunfire), but Annapolis is a great place for seafood. My top recommendation for anybody passing through the area is Lures, which is about ten minutes north of Annapolis. The seafood is sourced locally, and they have a two-page menu of microbrews on tap at any given time.

We have some great local breweries here. My top picks would be Dogfish Head and Flying Dog. There are a couple of other good ones in Baltimore; City Brewing comes to mind, but the other name escapes me.

Ken

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi All,

Lunch today was a pepperoni and ham and cheese sandwhich, with raisins and peanuts to follow. And water.

Lately I have been listening to Hawai'ian music, http://www.hawaiianmusiclives.com. Good music, lots of history.

Later,

edg

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring, Witsok. I had a healthy salad my wife made for lunch.

I love the large coil MFD pups as well. Not sure a coil splitter switch has a role with these, but it might for the F100 style humbucker. I have such a switch on the dimarzio 'bucker at the bridge on my les paul, very versatile. I also like the Z-coil pickups and i think they should be tried on other body types such as the SC/fallout.

Gotta agree with Ken on the dogfish head beers. A tour of their brewery in Milton, DE is quite worthwhile (not a tourist trap like at Sam Adams in Boston). Love the 60 minute IPA, and the Namaste. You get to sample 12 different beers/ales at the brewery. Some are experimental.

I just started listening to Snarky Puppy, some new and refreshing 80's-ish style fusion, 3 young terrific guitarists and an ever-morphing lineup of skilled musicians: sax/horns, keys, percussion. 2014's "We like it here" is a good listen (live).

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Now that I'm home, I gave access to my pictures. This is the studio session with Diane Coffee.

glvourot wrote:As far as new music goes I listen to SOMA FM fairly often. Commercial free, lots of channels. " The Kills " are a band I recently discovered . I like old school classic rock and all kinds of riff driven guitar songs. I am actually open to most music now that I think about it.

SOMA FM looks pretty good. Giving BAGel Radio a listen now. The Kill's kind of remind me of Souixsie and the Banshee. Definately like it.

glvourot wrote:A re-issue Cavalier maybe ?

KenC wrote: A modern Cavalier wouldn't be bad, either.

I agree, the return of the Cavalier would be sweet!

KenC wrote:My top picks would be Dogfish Head and Flying Dog.

drjho7 wrote:Gotta agree with Ken on the dogfish head beers.

I had Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head last night... Now that I think about it, I really should add that album to my collection.

drjho7 wrote:I just started listening to Snarky Puppy, some new and refreshing 80's-ish style fusion, 3 young terrific guitarists and an ever-morphing lineup of skilled musicians: sax/horns, keys, percussion. 2014's "We like it here" is a good listen (live).

Oh Yeah! If this doesn't get you up and moving...

drjho7 wrote:I love the large coil MFD pups as well. Not sure a coil splitter switch has a role with these, but it might for the F100 style humbucker.

The splitter would be for the neck MFD bucker only. It would be kind of the reverse of LE-2 with MFD bucker in the bridge and big MFD in the neck.

drjho7 wrote:I also like the Z-coil pickups and i think they should be tried on other body types such as the SC/fallout.

More SC/Fallout body style definitely. My favorite shape.

Thanks for sharing everyone. The café remain open. Cheers
Last edited by WitSok on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:26 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Lately I have been listening to Hawai'ian music, http://www.hawaiianmusiclives.com. Good music, lots of history.

Thanks for sharing. I could chill out to this. So did you ever find your missing lap steel?

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:35 pm

SWEEEEETTTTT !!....... I have had limited time on the net but would like to contribute on "what would you like to see G&L do ?? "

why not a Invader with 24 frets ???...... almost all other shredders are

Humbucker Fallout PG delete standard ..... Love to see a double humbucker Fallout with no pickguard , I'm talking modern humbuckers ...... I would buy this right now , Fallout is the best new model if you ask me , solid body , light weight and balanced perfect

SC 2 with a Fallout headstock .... G&L says sales is almost extinct for this model , so why not change a bit ?? .... the SC 2 has the smallest body with the BIGGEST head stock ... What the heck ??.... headstock is as big/same as my Cavalier but looks so huge on the tiny SC body , Plus the big headstock makes it slightly neck HEAVY compared to a Fallout .... the big head stock looks fine on the Cavalier but not the SC 2 , if sales are down change it up .... big MFD's do drop tuning metal , maybe advertise as capable as such , you might attrack a whole new following .... very few in the player community are aware of what the Big MFD's are capable of

again or offer a double humbucker on the SC 2 (or Fallout) with a Fallout sized head stock .... would order one today , I bet sales would start coming in shortly after

F100 ..... G&L says sales is extremely low ..... why is that ??... advertising ??..... does the sound need a different cap or something ?..... somehow this model needs rejuvenated

in the age of cad design and CNC ..... why aren't all neck sizes available to all guitars ??..... you can make a pick guard now , why not the different neck sizes ??

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:SC 2 with a Fallout headstock .... G&L says sales is almost extinct for this model , so why not change a bit ?? .... the SC 2 has the smallest body with the BIGGEST head stock ... What the heck ??.... headstock is as big/same as my Cavalier but looks so huge on the tiny SC body , Plus the big headstock makes it slightly neck HEAVY compared to a Fallout

I do like the Fallout headstock better, but the old SC and SC headstock is growing on me. It is kind of strange on my SC-3 the headstock looks HUGE when it hanging on the wall. But in it's case or my hands it doesn't seem big at all. I know they brought in the "hook" give it the newer family connection, but I think that adds to the overall impression of it being huge. I think it would be cool to go back to the none hook headstock on the SC-2. I really like the body style of the SC so even a SC-3 return addition would be cool in my book.

Fumble fingers wrote:SC 2 with a Fallout headstock .... G&L says sales is almost extinct for this model

Fumble fingers wrote:F100 ..... G&L says sales is extremely low ..... why is that ??... advertising ??

I think it just comes down to T type and S type guitars being so iconic that people just seem to gravitate to these style guitars. I think even FMIC doesn't sell much outside of their T ans S type guitars. Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and Mustangs all seem to be more niche market.

Thanks for jumping in Eric!

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:30 pm

Miles' Bitches Brew is magical. Do check it out. Probably goes good with a Dogfish Head!

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:43 pm

I'd like to to see black crinkle bridges and plates offered (at the online store too!!).

How about a guitar with an active boost? It could be wired like the L-2000 so passive is always an option.

I know there is loads of potential for wonderful bass tone using the 8 pole SB/Lynx style pickup at the neck
like Jos' ASAT bass proto. G&L should make a limited run so you all can have a chance at that experience.

...and then there's this one (on ebay now), A BluesBoyBass? :think:

Thanks for the LR WitSok,
Elwood

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Hey Dan!

Glad to see you jumping in. :clap: No lunch today, too busy to slow down at all.

Thanks for the kudos on "Manchild". Like others, I am a fan of big MFD's with the Z coils right up there. (Will Ray Sig bridge pup is the bomb - 7.5K-8.3K ).

Your Bluesboy Special - Saddle-Lock bridge, Large MFD bridge pickup and F-100 MFD neck pickup - sounds like a hotter version of mine. The Manchild has Paul Gagon G&L Tribute AS4250C (42 gauge-5K turns) in neck position and a standard ASAT MFD 4.4-5.4 . Yours would have a 6.9K - 7.3K F-100 neck and the same ASAT MFD 4.4-5. You should get an ASAT and mod away. :evilgrin:

G&L has about hit all the buttons, maybe re-issue the Z-2 or ASAT Super. I did a parts Z2 that is fun. The Super is still in the top two of my wish list. in case you never saw the parts Z2 here she is.

Or they could bring out the secret Will Ray ASAT Studio VI, this is the one I want :banana:

New music for me is often new stuff by old bands. i.e. the new Jayhawks and the latest Iggy Pop are both very good. Iggy still can rock. "newer stuff" I do like Dawes for the old Jackson Browne sound and My Morning Jacket for jam stuff. I did come across Monster Truck somewhere and for good ol rock they hit it.

phpBB [video]

With my travels, a few food faves are Lou Malnati's pizza in Chicago, Shiro's sushi in Seattle, the Rendevouz BBQ Memphis (County Line Austin is close), Bistro Jeanty in Napa Valley, and any cheese shop in Wisconsin! So not to upset the NY pizza fans, Rays was good too.

I want to try that smoked salmon Panini for sure.

Great LR Dan! :alright:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 am

sam wrote:G&L has about hit all the buttons, maybe re-issue the Z-2 or ASAT Super. I did a parts Z2 that is fun. The Super is still in the top two of my wish list. in case you never saw the parts Z2 here she is.

I'm more of a two PU guy, so the return of the Z-2 would bring on a sudden case of GAS! I forgot about your Z2 but seeing the picture brought back the memory. I definitely want to add some Z coils in the future. I recall once seeing a Warmoth Jazzmaster with Z coils - that was pretty sweet.

sam wrote:New music for me is often new stuff by old bands. i.e. the new Jayhawks and the latest Iggy Pop are both very good. Iggy still can rock. "newer stuff" I do like Dawes for the old Jackson Browne sound and My Morning Jacket for jam stuff. I did come across Monster Truck somewhere and for good ol rock they hit it.

What I heard from Iggy's latest effort is quite good. Been forever since I heard the Jayhawks. I like Dawes and My Morning Jacket too. That Monster Truck track ROCKS! :elguitar054:

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:11 am

Elwood wrote:I'd like to to see black crinkle bridges and plates offered (at the online store too!!).

AMEN! I bet those would fly off the shelf.

Sweet looking bass!

Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:22 am

Hey Sam and Dan

Great to see a reprise of the lunch reports and hope the momentum keeps going. Hard to believe my last LR was around 4 years ago!
Catch up on a few issues from the last few days:

Intro to G&L – Watched Mr Fender’s post Fender endevour’s with interest. Music man gear was reasonably accessible here on the Aus West Coast but G&L was non pretty well existent (and sadly still is). First came across a legacy in the flesh being played by the guitarist in the other at a gig with us and tried it out. Was impressed enough to buy one online which I usually don’t like to do (prefer try before buying)

Vacations – not planning to venture to far as we are expecting the first grandchild around the time of my leave in October. Just booked a week at The Vines in the Swan Valley wine region on the fringes of Perth

Strings - EB Slinky's on guitars for rock, TIs on most others.

Bands - Fridays commute music was the new album from psychedelic rockers King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.
[youtube]nC7ii3Ir-no[/youtube]

Multi Track Recording – Audacity is a great little program. If you want to go deeper into multitack recording and editing you might take a look at Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/. May be a bit of a learning curve but at $60 it is an awesome program from the developers of Cool Edit which was sold to Adobe and became Audition. Don’t have much experience with drum machine plugins(we have a pretty good drummer on tap) but there seem to be a few freeware plugins around http://www.musictech.net/2015/10/freeware-drums-drum-machines/

Random Clip – It’s the 50th anniversary of the Monkees, the Olympics have begun and it’s a G&L forum – so is there a connection
[youtube]UaYavDuoZTs[/youtube]

cheers, Robbie
Last edited by Aussie on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:19 am

Aussie wrote:Bands - Fridays commute music was the new album from psychedelic rockers King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.
[youtube]nC7ii3Ir-no[/youtube]

Love these guys. Whenever I just about get my head around one of their albums they release another one - I've never followed such a prolific band!

Fumble fingers wrote:SC 2 with a Fallout headstock .... G&L says sales is almost extinct for this model , so why not change a bit ?? .... the SC 2 has the smallest body with the BIGGEST head stock ... What the heck ??.... headstock is as big/same as my Cavalier but looks so huge on the tiny SC body , Plus the big headstock makes it slightly neck HEAVY compared to a Fallout

The SC-2 is beautiful! Big headstocks look great! The body really isn't that small - put one in front of an ASAT and it'll just about cover it. I do agree that a bit of experimentation would be nice. If I had to guess a reason for sales being down it'd be the big MFD pickups, they're an unknown to a lot of people, and the lack of substitutes makes the guitar hard to taylor to your tastes if you don't like them.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:44 am

with a Fallout , LE 2 , SC 2 , 4 ASAT's , 1 B'caster , Cav (big head stock ), Rampage (big head stock), S500 , Comanche and legacy all hanging on the wall I still think it's too big , one thing for sure is my LE 2 and Fallout balances better than the SC 2 , LE 2 and Fallout also have locking tuners that my SC 2 doesn't have , if it did have lockers it would be even worse balance wise .... maybe I got used to the visual of the LE 2 and Fallout headstock that now makes the SC 2 look slightly out of place ??..... not sure there ? , but it's killing me that the SC 2 doesn't sell better than it does , crazy for such a affordable great guitar that no one knows about .... maybe needs advertise a little differently than the past , such wonderful pick ups in a comfortable light weight guitar that can do so many different genre but don't sell

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:39 am

I think the SC-2 looks great with its large head stock, part of its charm :thumbup: . The SC-2 will live and die as it is. The Fallout is part of the family, perhaps there is another coming down the pike.