LR Tuesday, March 3, 2015 Pickups on the ASAT model

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:51 am

Hi gang,

Still a little early for lunch. I haven't even had breakfast yet! But I forgot to post this yesterday and don't want to make the same mistake today.

Many years ago I started collecting guitars. My favorite guitar then, and actually still now, was my '99 Butterscotch Blonde G&L ASAT Classic with TGN BEM neck. Some of the earliest additions to my collection were a Legacy Special, George Fullerton, Semi-Hollow ASAT Bluesboy, and ASAT Super. At that time I decided to focus on G&L models. But it still needed a theme. Should you stick to pre-BBE era? CCD Limited Editions and Special Build models? Prototypes? Wood types? After getting some more guitars, and starting a website to document all these beauties, a theme more or less emerged: all pickup combinations in which the G&L ASAT was released.

Over many years, the holes and missing pieces were steadily filled. About a month ago, I got what I believe was the last missing link: an employee guitar that seems to be the precursor of the ASAT™CAT Special Edition. That was the 53rd ASAT and the 27th pickup combination (not counting overwinding because then the number bloats to about 30-31 combinations). I hope I don't miss too many but you all can tell me. I know there are some test mules out there that would have pickups built by the usual suspects while G&L was assessing the concept model and/or tooling up to bring it in production. KateFan's Bluesboy like prototype featured yesterday might be one of those. But all in all I think it is pretty complete.

For todays Lunch Report all combinations in my possession will be presented. At first I thought to break it up, but it might be nice to keep it together. We will also get a quicker assessment of what's missing. This link to the List of pickups used in G&L guitars page is handy if you want more info on these pups and a description what they sound like. The DC-impedances listed are as measured on my guitars and provided as a range when more than 1 was available. If a particular pickup was introduced on a different non-ASAT G&L model, this is indicated. In most cases, the close-up(s) of the pups are for the same guitar but sometimes I use a better shot from a different guitar of the same model. Pics can be clicked for larger versions. Please don't ask me for sound files because I do not have them. If that ever get "fixed' in the future I'll update this post or report it with audio included.

Have fun,

- Jos

pickups:2 G&L wide-bobbing Magnetic Field Design single-coils
model:1985 Broadcaster
neck:4.60-5.48kΩ
bridge:4.71-5.28kΩ
wide-bobbin MFD first introduced on:1982 SC-2
Other ASAT models:ASAT, ASAT Special, ASAT Custom, John Jorgenson Signature, ASAT Junior, 20th Anniversary, ASAT Super, C.L.F. Centennial ASAT, 30th Anniversary Collection ASAT Special, Detroit Muscle Series: R/T Collection ASAT Special, Detroit Muscle Series: SS Collection ASAT Special. Some of these have one or more overwound pups.

ImageImage
wide-bobbin MFD pickup
The pickup with which it all started. Still loved and admired even though it has gotten a couple of more windings over time.

pickups:3 G&L S-500 Magnetic Field Design single-coils
model:1987 ASAT III (shown 1989 ASAT III)
neck:4.43-5.02kΩ
middle:4.44-4.94kΩ
bridge:4.48-4.97kΩ
S-500 MFD first introduced on:1982 S-500
Other ASAT models:www.guitarsbyleo.com Ltd Ed

ImageImage
S-500 MFD pickup
Another keeper that has gotten hotter over time, with additional changes in gauge and insulation material. Found its way on a handful of ASAT in the late '80s-early '90s.

pickups:3 G&L Skyhawk (SC-3) Magnetic Field Design single-coils
model:1987 ASAT III
Skyhawk MFD first introduced on:1983 Nighthawk/1983 SC-3

Skyhawk MFD pickup
These pups were also intended as direct drop-ins for Fender pups and are also referred to as SC-3 pups. You notice this model is missing. It is not too hard to find pre-ASAT IIIs, enough pop up in marketplaces. But to ask people to get a multi-meter and measure the DC impedance might be a little too much. I just hope to stumble over one of them one day.

pickups:G&L wide-bobbing Magnetic Field Design single-coil (neck), G&L Cavalier (HG-2R) Magnetic Field Design humbucker (bridge)
model:1987 'CavASAT' prototype
neck:4.21kΩ
bridge:4.48kΩ
HG-2R MFD first introduced on:1983 Cavalier

ImageImageImage
Mixing it up, Part 1
When you have several pups laying around in your lab, what's holding you back to try to combine some of them? Here is the marriage between a Broadcaster and a Cavalier.

pickups:2 G&L Skyhawk (SC-3) Magnetic Field Design single-coils (neck/middle), HG-2 (GHB) Magnetic Field Design humbucker
model:1990 ASAT III SSH (shown 1991 ASAT III Signature SSH)
neck:4.28kΩ
middle:4.25kΩ
bridge:3.89kΩ
HG-2 MFD first introduced on:1983 HG-2 prototype

ImageImageImage
Mixing it up, Part 2
In only a handful of cases, the bridge pickup on an ASAT III was swapped out for a HG-2 neck pup for some delectable tones. That HG-2 prototype referenced in the table above was the subject of one of my previous posts.

pickups:2 G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coils
model:1990 ASAT Classic (shown 1991 ASAT Classic Signature)
neck:4.00-5.03kΩ
bridge:4.50-5.79kΩ
Other ASAT models:Lacewood Commemorative Edition, ASAT Classic Commemorative Edition, ASAT Classic Custom (pre-2002), ASAT Classic Rustic, ASAT Classic Spalted Maple Top Special Build, 30th Anniversary Collection ASAT Classic, ASAT Classic "The Wrangler", ASAT Classic "The Roses", ASAT Classic Korina prototype

ImageImageImage
ASAT Classic MFD
This model subclass consists of about 10 guitars in my collection. The DC-impedances listed above are the lowest and highest value of the set. These pups are marginally hotter in the modern day compared to when they were introduced 25 years or so ago.

pickups:2 G&L wide-bobbing Magnetic Field Design single-coil (neck/bridge), G&L S-500 Magnetic Field Design humbucker (middle)
model:1991 ASAT Signature '500' employee guitar
neck:4.32-4.95kΩ
middle:4.46-5.01kΩ
bridge:4.02-4.65kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT™Cat Special Editions

ImageImage
First attempt at adding a middle pup to an ASAT
Adding a third wide-bobbin MFD to the ASAT met with a fair amount of resistance. But you could use a smaller footprint MFD like the one for the S-500. I'm pretty sure the guitar referenced above is an employee guitar, which is why I marked it that way. About a decade later it was reintroduced by Alley Cat Music with their ASAT™Cat Special Edition.

pickups:3 G&L Z-coil Magnetic Field Design humbuckers
model:1997 ASAT Z-3 (shown 2001 ASAT-Z3 SH)
neck:4.73-4.83kΩ
middle:4.68-4.82kΩ
bridge:4.65-7.85kΩ
Z-coil MFD first introduced on:1990 Comanche V/1990 Comanche VI
Other ASAT models:John Jorgenson Z-3 prototype, Will Ray Signature Z-3 w/ overwound bridge pup

ImageImage
Z-coil MFD
Why not split some coils and try something new. Leo's final contribution to pickup heaven. The bridge pickup on the modern day Will Ray Signature is overwound. The high values correspond with what they read on my Turquoise exemplar.

pickups:Seymour Duncan '59 (SH-1) humbucker (neck), Seymour Duncan JB (TB-4) humbucker (bridge)
model:1997 ASAT Deluxe (shown 2011 ASAT Deluxe Korina prototype)
neck:7.19-7.26kΩ
bridge:16.54-16.64kΩ
Other ASAT models:Korina Collection ASAT Deluxe II, Black Ice Collection ASAT Deluxe II, Savannah Collection ASAT Deluxe II

ImageImageImage
Deluxe, deluxe, deluxe …
The venerable combination of the SH-1 and TB-4 found on so many double humbucker models. So why not on an ASAT?

pickups:3 G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coils
model:1998 ASAT ASAT 'Classic III' Limited Edition
neck:4.48kΩ
middle:4.56kΩ
bridge:5.70kΩ

ImageImage
Triple Classic treatment
The only model ever released with 3 ASAT Classic pups. Soon the middle pickup would be replaced with an S-500 variant.

pickups:Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (SH-55) humbucker (neck), G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design pickup (bridge)
model:1999 ASAT Blues Boy Special Edition
neck:6.87-7.13kΩ
bridge:5.71-6.02kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Classic Bluesboy, ASAT Classic Bluesboy Spalted Maple Top Special Build, Korina Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy, Black Ice Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy, Savannah Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy, ASAT Classic Bluesboy "The Roses" Special Edition

ImageImage
Do like Keith
The first contribution of Mr Tim Page (guitarsontheweb) to the stable of G&Ls. The idea may not be that original but he was the first to do it on an ASAT. And we all know it works like gangbusters.

pickups:G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coil
model:1999 ASAT '50 Special Edition
bridge:5.92-6.10kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Classic Solamente

ImageImage
Do like Jeff?
Another Tim Page creation: take away the neck pup and do something interesting with the tone stack. Keep Jeff beck's Esquire in mind. We all had to wait about 14 years before the Solamente came along with a slightly different tone stack.

pickups:2 G&L Z-2 Magnetic Field Design humbuckers
model:1999 ASAT Z-2 Special Edition
neck:4.32-4.80kΩ
bridge:4.53-4.90kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Z-12 'Big Red', also have seen a prototype in a picture once from when Leo was still alive.

ImageImage
Do like Tim
Third Tim Page idea: strip that center pup away from a Z-3 to make it easier for the chicken-pickers. And then make it look like one of Jerry Donahue's axes. I also have a Z-12 nicknamed "Big Red" with 2 Z-coil pups disguised as buckers. Interesting stuff ...

pickups:3 G&L wide-bobbing Magnetic Field Design single-coils
model:1999 ASAT S-3
neck:4.73-5.90kΩ
middle:4.91-6.56kΩ
bridge:5.38-6.53kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Trinity Special Edition, ASAT S-3 Special Edition for Midlothian School of Music

ImageImage
OK, OK, we give in …
Finally, what the original SC-3 should have looked like. And then people don't like it due to the middle pickup taking up too much space and interfering with the picking hand. But we all got the Trinity out of this idea; another Tim Page creation.

pickups:G&L AS4250B humbucker (neck), G&L AW4370B humbucker (bridge)
model:2002 ASAT Deluxe
neck:7.52kΩ
bridge:14.11kΩ

ImageImageImage
Who needs Seymour?
MFDs are G&L's thing: F-100, G-200, Cavalier, HG-2. But they also build their own Alnico buckers and sometimes they showed up on an Deluxe. This is one of them. Now you find them on Tribby's.

pickups:G&L wide-bobbing Magnetic Field Design single-coil (neck), G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coils (bridge)
model:2002 ASAT Classic Custom (shown 2013 ASAT Classic Custom)
neck:6.39kΩ
bridge:5.89kΩ

ImageImage
The Classic Broadcaster?
Of course one could expect a model with the bite of a Classic bridge pup and the smoothness of a wide-bobbin MFD. This model has now been replaced by the Bluesboy 90.

pickups:G&L Legacy (CLF-100) single-coil (neck), G&L AW4370B humbucker (bridge)
model:2004 ASAT HB
neck:6.78kΩ
bridge:13.83kΩ
CLF-100 MFD first introduced on:1992 Legacy

ImageImageImage
The ASAT HB
One of the sweetest sounds you'll ever hear, a Legacy neck pup on a mahogany body. Combine that with a pretty good bridge bucker and you have to wonder why this model saw less than 35 being produced.

pickups:2 G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coils (neck/bridge), G&L S-500 Magnetic Field Design single-coil (middle)
model:2004 ASAT Classic 'S' Special Build (shown 2007 ASAT Classic 'S' Special Build)
neck:4.68-5.04kΩ
middle:4.81-4.95kΩ
bridge:5.91-5.92kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Classic 'S', ASAT Classic 'S' Nearly Naked (NENA) Special Collection

ImageImage
ASAT Classic III Part 2
As stated above, use an S-500 middle pup and all is just a little better. Initially original ASAT Classic neck and bridge pickups were used with a RW/RP S-500 middle. Nowadays, the neck pickup is also RW/RP compared to the original leading to hum canceling in positions 2 and 4.

pickups:Seymour Duncan '59 (SH-1) humbucker (neck), G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coil (bridge)
model:2005 ASAT Classic 'Blues Boy' mahogany
neck:7.02kΩ
bridge:6.00kΩ

ImageImageImage
Worst pickup combination … By far!
My least favorite guitar. Tim picked the correct pickup for his Blues Boy design by selecting the SH-55 over the SH-1. The hog body of this guitar is still not able to rescue anything in this disaster.

pickups:G&L Legacy (CLF-100) single-coil (neck), Seymour Duncan APTL-3JD single-coil (bridge)
model:2005 ASAT JD-5
neck:7.21kΩ
bridge:5.75kΩ

ImageImageImage
Who is JD?
There is an interesting story behind this guitar but the short is that you find Jerry Donahue's signature bridge pickup and 5-way switching scheme combined with an CLF-100 neck pup on this model. Sonically it all works really well but that is not why this model failed.

pickups:2 G&L F-100 Magnetic Field Design humbuckers
model:2006 25th Anniversary Model
neck:9.82kΩ
bridge:15.32kΩ

ImageImageImage
The original MFD humbucker
It only took 20 years since the introduction of the Broadcaster/ASAT for somebody to try to mount those MFD buckers as found on George and Leo's first G&L guitar on their most popular model. At that time the F-100 had not been reissued yet! These pups work really well in a hog body.

pickups:Seymour Duncan Seth Lover humbucker (neck), DiMarzio DP421 Area Hot T stacked humbucker (bridge)
model:2011 ASAT Classic Bluesboy Pine prototype "Port & Chocolate"
neck:6.99kΩ
bridge:8.69kΩ

ImageImageImage
All Alnico Bluesboy
This is an example of a test mule. When it finally left the factory, it has a DiMarzio humbucking Alnico bridge pup. Things changed so fast on this thing that the spec sheet could not keep up ...

pickups:2 G&L P-90 Alnico single-coils
model:2011 Korina Collection ASAT Junior II Limited Edition
neck:6.66kΩ
bridge:7.51kΩ
Other ASAT models:Savannah Collection ASAT Junior II Limited Edition

ImageImageImage
P-90, finally!
After the wide-bobbing MFD had to undergo the injustice of being mislabeled as a "P-90", this problem finally got fixed by Paul Gagon. His P-90s proper are some amazing pups working extremely well in the bodies of the models on which they appear. Growl, bite, and then you dial it all back a bit and there is smooth, warm.

pickups:2 G&L Alnico single-coils
model:2012 ASAT Classic Alnico prototype
neck:6.97kΩ
bridge:6.80kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Classic Alnico Launch Edition, ASAT Classic Alnico

ImageImageImage
You want a Tele? Well darn it! Here's your Tele!
Some like Leo's latest contributions to pickups. Some like them a LOT. And then there are those who like tradition. They like tradition a LOT. So after about 30 years, the ASAT Classic is finally available with more traditional Alnico pups, again beautifully designed by Paul. I'd claim it is still better than most Telecasters out there. You'd have to go pre-CBS, Custom Shop, or boutique to get something equivalent.

pickups:2 TV Jones Filter'Tron humbuckers
model:2012 ASAT Deluxe SH TV Jones prototype
neck:4.03kΩ
bridge:4.91kΩ

ImageImageImage
TV Jones, the Gretsch pick-up
There are pickups out there that are so associated with a brand if not a particular model that seeing it in a different contexts makes your eyebrow lift up. It works great in a semi-hollow hog body I can tell you. I even know there is one out there with original Bigsby for an even closer resemblance.

pickups:2 G&L Alnico single-coils (neck/bridge), G&L Legacy (CLF-100) single-coil (middle)
model:2013 ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico
neck:6.53kΩ
middle:5.79kΩ
bridge:6.84kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico Launch Edition

ImageImage
Why stop at 2 for a good thing ...
To stick with the Alnico theme, understandably the Classic S Alnico has a CLF-100 middle pickup. Gives it sonically a different character but works great.

pickups:G&L Alnico single-coil (bridge)
model:2013 ASAT Classic Solamente Alnico
bridge:6.88kΩ

ImageImage
… when you can take it all away?
Of course you can also go the other way and remove the neck pickup. Now you are even closer to the Esquire as you were with the ASAT '50 and ASAT Classic Solamente.

pickups:G&L P-90 Alnico single-coil (neck), G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coil (bridge)
model:2013 ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 (shown 2013 Savannah Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90)
neck:7.37kΩ
bridge:5.87kΩ
Other ASAT models:ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90, Detroit Muscle Series: R/T Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90, Detroit Muscle Series: SS Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90

ImageImage
Changing the ASAT Classic Custom
Replacing the ASAT Classic Custom is this model with a P-90 in the neck instead of a wide-bobbin MFD. Great choice, but I like the original a bit better.

pickups:Lollar Charlie Cristian single-coil (neck), G&L ASAT Classic Magnetic Field Design single-coil (bridge)
model:2014 ASAT Classic Charlie Christian Ltd
neck:3.11kΩ
bridge:5.72kΩ

ImageImage
Go back in time
Go back in time to one of the very first pickups designed specifically for the guitar. Of course you use a pickup guru to get you one but after that you really have something.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: LR Tuesday, March 3, 2015 Pickups on the ASAT model

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Hey Jos,

What a fantastic retrospective on various ASAT pickup selection! :alright: Yer selection is an enviable one.

You and I are chasing the same ASAT dragon, and I justify new purchases with the ever reliable, "But this is TOTALLY different, see the pickups are not the same." We'll see how long I can keep it going. My faves right now are WR Signature ASAT and an ASAT with Steve Grom neck humbucker. The ones one my wish list are an ASAT SUPER, ASAT HB, ASAT III and a ASAT 20th Anniversary. (that's all :evilgrin: ) Recently scored a new ukulele from a small maker in Hawaii that drained funds for one of those, specifically the SUPER that Jeff just sold.

The only ones I have with different pickup combinations are below:

1995 ASAT clear green – added Steve Grom neck humbucker, this gives a blend of ASAT and Bluesboy and is a fantastic pup mix

Partscaster with big MFD ASAT neck and a WR Z coil bridge (idea stolen from Will Ray), this is a spanky set up.
to respect the Master, here is Will's

Maybe the boys at G&L will surprise us with a new ASAT with a pup variation. :thumbup:

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:55 pm

great LR Jos !! .... yah , me three on the different pick ups .... that's how I justify in my mind why I need another G&L ... all though I am thinking about buying a back up to my gigging guitar , would be my first duplicate mode , a Fallout in this case

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Jos, you have the finest and most documented collection around. You also seemed to have a direction from the get go.

There are a lot of pickup combinations that have been used over the years. I found your comment on the Mahogany Blues boy interesting. I sold mine and never looked back. It is interesting how many guitar players do not like 3 pickup configurations due to the middle pickup being in the way. I never found it a problem but many do. T type players tend to like just 2. If I were to get a new Asat, an Alley Cat would be on my radar. They are cool. Thanks for taking the time to put all this together.

My initial love was with Fenders and then onto G&L. I was initially a Strat guy and now prefer a T Type. I didn't have a direction as such but am really comfortable with the ones that I have. There are so many good guitars to choose from. You certainly have a herd to take care of. Your website is also a wealth of information for someone who is doing research on Asats. Are you really caught up on all the Asats? I don't see you just quitting yet :banana: . -- Darwin

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:04 pm

Jos,

Very cool list. As much as I follow the G&L world, I hadn't really thought about how many different ASAT pickup combinations there have been. Of course, I was very happy to see my favorite combination -- the one currently found in the ASAT Cat.

One small historical note: The first ASAT Cat runs that Alley Cat commissioned were in the early 2000s. They were made with alder or swamp ash bodies (maybe both, I'm not sure); the more recent run was made with western sugar pine, except for a couple of prototypes made with equatorial mahogany (which I think is the same as okoume). The info about the wood is kind of off-topic, except to make the point that this pickup combination is killer, no matter what you put it in.

My Cats are my go-to guitars, with my LE-2 and L2000 bass making occasional appearances. Have you played your precurser-Cat recently? I'd be interested to know what you think of the sound. The reason Alley Cat Music first sought to make them was so that Mark (one of the co-designers) could carry fewer guitars to his gigs, while still getting all the sounds he wanted. I'm curious to know if you feel that your prototype also delivers a broad range of sound options. (I'd bet it does.) The final configuration of the ASAT Cat does some tinkering to the electronics, but I have a sense that the pickup combination accounts for the first 98% of the flexibility.

One last thing: do you have a favorite among your ASATs, or are they like children? I'm always thinking about what my next guitar might be, and with a collection like yours, you're opinion carries some weight.

Many thanks.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Great job on this LR Jos! :thumbup:

Regarding the ASAT Cat: I mentioned this before in a past LR post, that Will Ray had (has?) an ASAT Special with an middle old style S-500 pickup (slightly slanted) which predates the ASAT Cat.
This photo was taken in 1995:

Hopefully, Will Ray will see this and comment about this guitar.

:ugeek:

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 am

Hey TBillPSU,

TBillPSU wrote:Jos,
One small historical note: The first ASAT Cat runs that Alley Cat commissioned were in the early 2000s. They were made with alder or swamp ash bodies (maybe both, I'm not sure); the more recent run was made with western sugar pine, except for a couple of prototypes made with equatorial mahogany (which I think is the same as okoume). The info about the wood is kind of off-topic, except to make the point that this pickup combination is killer, no matter what you put it in.

I had Alley Cat down as issuing their first run of Ash and Alder instruments around 2007. But that would be the first run built by G&L proper and discounts the 20 or so guitars they modified themselves prior to that run. So you very well may be right they started around the time you mentioned. I changed the text such that it refers to just "a decade" instead of "2 decades". BTW, I also own one of the two Okoume prototypes, the one with the maple board.

TBillPSU wrote:Have you played your precurser-Cat recently? I'd be interested to know what you think of the sound. The reason Alley Cat Music first sought to make them was so that Mark (one of the co-designers) could carry fewer guitars to his gigs, while still getting all the sounds he wanted. I'm curious to know if you feel that your prototype also delivers a broad range of sound options. (I'd bet it does.) The final configuration of the ASAT Cat does some tinkering to the electronics, but I have a sense that the pickup combination accounts for the first 98% of the flexibility.

The Okoume prototype has no trouble putting the input stage of my Express 5:25 in overdrive. But turn the volume down, and you have a wide range of sounds from warm jazzy tones to snarl and bite. The pups on the employee guitar are less hot (see the low values listed above for that pickup combination) and it has a little more "quack" in positions 2 and 4 I would say, but otherwise a similar wide range of sounds. That 3rd configuration Leo Fender Fine-Tuning Vibrato is nothing to sneeze at either.

TBillPSU wrote:One last thing: do you have a favorite among your ASATs, or are they like children?

That first ASAT Classic I got is still my fave: it feels right, it sounds right. Other faves: pre-BBE ASAT III, maple board Broadcaster, ASAT Super.

Thanks for your feedback!

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:44 am

Craig wrote:Great job on this LR Jos! :thumbup:

Regarding the ASAT Cat: I mentioned this before in a past LR post, that Will Ray had (has?) an ASAT Special with an middle old style S-500 pickup (slightly slanted) which predates the ASAT Cat.

Great pic Craig! And that looks even like a square corner S-500 pup, doesn't it? Which would make it an "old" S-500 pup, before the change of the covers, if true.

And as Sam already indicated in his post above, Will has some interesting contraptions in his arsenal.

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 am

Hey Sam,
sam wrote:The only ones I have with different pickup combinations are below:

1995 ASAT clear green – added Steve Grom neck humbucker, this gives a blend of ASAT and Bluesboy and is a fantastic pup mix

Partscaster with big MFD ASAT neck and a WR Z coil bridge (idea stolen from Will Ray), this is a spanky set up.

Thanks for your additions. Both of them look great! And apparently sound so too.

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:52 am

Darwin,

Thanks for the compliments!
darwinohm wrote:Are you really caught up on all the Asats? I don't see you just quitting yet :banana: . -- Darwin

Eh, no comment … ;-)

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:02 am

An important point to make is that any and all shown in the LR left the factory that way. One of the factory issued ASATs I'm aware of with another is the ASAT Classic Alnico prototype CLF59269 you can find on the Prototype page on the &L web site. Does not diminish the relevance of some interesting additions made in some of the responses of modifications made by owners. Talking about that, I had almost forgotten about this post by Thumbs with another cool pickup combo: an HG-2 bucker in the neck and a wide-bobbin MFD in the bridge. His pics of this "reversed CavASAT" should be included in this thread too.
ImageImageImage

So yeah, you might argue I'm still missing a few …

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:45 am

That was indeed an ASAT Special I added an old style S-500 pickup (square corners) to. It was an interesting guitar that I received as an unfinished body, which I then painted turquoise and added gold foil to before returning it back to G&L to put together. Hope that helps.
WR

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:51 am

helle-man wrote:That was indeed an ASAT Special I added an old style S-500 pickup (square corners) to. It was an interesting guitar that I received as an unfinished body, which I then painted turquoise and added gold foil to before returning it back to G&L to put together. Hope that helps.
WR

Thanks for the clarification Will. Do you still have that guitar? Or has it moved on either in ownership or configuration?

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:00 am

Yo whatsshakin Jos? What a great post. :happy0065: Thanks for putting this together and I especially appreciate the personal observations of each configuration. I will have to go over it in greater detail this weekend. It's always a surprise that the wrong pickup can make a guitar such a dud. On the reverse of that, I have one guitar that is all maple and I can't find ANY pickup that makes that guitar sing for me.

Good stuff! :alright:

Ciao,
Ric

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:55 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey TBillPSU,

TBillPSU wrote:Jos,
I had Alley Cat down as issuing their first run of Ash and Alder instruments around 2007. But that would be the first run built by G&L proper and discounts the 20 or so guitars they modified themselves prior to that run. So you very well may be right they started around the time you mentioned. I changed the text such that it refers to just "a decade" instead of "2 decades". BTW, I also own one of the two Okoume prototypes, the one with the maple board.
I defer to your historical account. I was going from my own memory and a brief email exchange I had with Mark. He may have been thinking about the first versions that they modded up, but I was definitely referring to the G&L-made Cats. Honestly, I didn't look into it as closely as I could have. So 2007 it is.

Thanks for filling me in on the okoume prototype. I had wondered at times where they ended up. (I think GGJaguar has the other one, unless that's where you got yours.)
yowhatsshakin wrote:
TBillPSU wrote:Have you played your precurser-Cat recently? I'd be interested to know what you think of the sound. The reason Alley Cat Music first sought to make them was so that Mark (one of the co-designers) could carry fewer guitars to his gigs, while still getting all the sounds he wanted. I'm curious to know if you feel that your prototype also delivers a broad range of sound options. (I'd bet it does.) The final configuration of the ASAT Cat does some tinkering to the electronics, but I have a sense that the pickup combination accounts for the first 98% of the flexibility.
The Okoume prototype has no trouble putting the input stage of my Express 5:25 in overdrive. But turn the volume down, and you have a wide range of sounds from warm jazzy tones to snarl and bite. The pups on the employee guitar are less hot (see the low values listed above for that pickup combination) and it has a little more "quack" in positions 2 and 4 I would say, but otherwise a similar wide range of sounds. That 3rd configuration Leo Fender Fine-Tuning Vibrato is nothing to sneeze at either.
Interesting to hear about the less hot pickups. I go for a clean sound, so I'd like 'em.
yowhatsshakin wrote:
TBillPSU wrote:One last thing: do you have a favorite among your ASATs, or are they like children?
That first ASAT Classic I got is still my fave: it feels right, it sounds right. Other faves: pre-BBE ASAT III, maple board Broadcaster, ASAT Super.

Thanks for your feedback!

- Jos
Thanks Jos!

Thanks Craig. I had forgotten about that LR. I even posted to it! The 3-pickup combination with the B-bender is a pretty cool configuration.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Great stuff Jos, and again, an amazing collection.

At that time I decided to focus on G&L models. But it still needed a theme. Should you stick to pre-BBE era? CCD Limited Editions and Special Build models?

The CCD have been very quiet of late, isn't it about time we saw something NEW from them?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 pm

TBillPSU wrote:Thanks for filling me in on the okoume prototype. I had wondered at times where they ended up. (I think GGJaguar has the other one, unless that's where you got yours.)

Yup, I got GGJaguar's one now, which is showcased here. The other prototype I have only seen in this post. Funnily enough, when you go to Alley Cat's ASAT™Cat page, they show my Old School Tobacco one with maple board as unsold not the other. Oh well. Would love to know the S/N of that one though.

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Howdy Jamie!

blargfromouterspace wrote:The CCD have been very quiet of late, isn't it about time we saw something NEW from them?

Depends how you're counting because they do it in collection form now, right? I mean, 4 Korina Collection models (of 100 each) and 5 Savannah Collection models (for 250 total over all models) in the span of say 3 years is an average of 3 LE models a year. And that excludes the (25) LE-2's sprinkled in there somewhere.

But I hear you. The LE-2 with a particular unique pickup combination is more the kind of thing we would like to see than some exclusive piece of timber used on several models. The latter is undoubtedly much easier in tooling requirement etc., but still.

- Jos

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:27 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:But I hear you. The LE-2 with a particular unique pickup combination is more the kind of thing we would like to see than some exclusive piece of timber used on several models. The latter is undoubtedly much easier in tooling requirement etc., but still.

Thats the point I was trying to make. The 25th anniversary of Leo's death is coming up next year, maybe we'll see something then :thumbup: