Lunch Report, Friday, April 23

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 am

Friday! We made it. Crazy work week, glad it’s almost over. We have a show tonight – I really don’t like Friday shows because my day starts at 5:30am and we don’t get off the stage until about 11:30 then we still have to drink, watch the second band, have a few more drinks, load out, drive home (with our designated driver) and that puts me in bed around 2:00am. I think a power nap right after work might be in order.

Lunch today will be brisket at the only Texas BBQ worth eating at in Seattle.

Muleya hit the signature guitar deal right on the head. And yes, it’s a good point that a lot of the higher end vintage guitars don’t make it out on the road for obvious reasons. Nice Cammanche MrRoundel! And Pico brought up J. Mascis’ signature Jazzmaster. This video shows him talking about those guitars but it seems like he’s not that “jazzed” on them. Could just be his indifferent demeanor though. I love J. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJMRFG7OOUk

G&L content: I was just reading an article in Rolling Stone about today’s mystery guitarist. He recently purchased a 1959 Les Paul and said the guy he bought it from told him “A guitar like this can change your life.” I re-read that line because it was a pretty heavy statement. Thinking back on my own guitar acquisitions and wants throughout the years I remember starting out with crappy no-name Sears guitars then graduating to beat up pawn shop killers that were at least low-end name brand and gradually acquiring better instruments as I got older. When I was 14 I wanted this Kay guitar my friend was selling. When I was 16 I wanted this cool Les Paul copy another friend was selling, when I was 18 I wanted this old Ibanez Artist a friend’s dad was thinking about selling and so on. Always had my eye on the next guitar that would play better, stay in tune longer and hopefully make me look cooler. And though I went through dozens of guitars in the early years there were only a few noticeable benchmarks that were game changers for me. First electric, first name brand electric (Washburn T-bird), first Gibson (sh*tty ’73 SG-2) first real Les Paul Standard, first vintage Gibson, first G&L and I’m still looking for that guitar that’s gonna change my life but at 45 I don’t think I’m going to find it as a $250,000 ’59 Les Paul is out of my league. I think at my age it’s now about acquiring duration pieces that I just enjoy playing and plan on hanging onto for …. the duration. Between losing my GAS and settling into the two or three G&L’s I play live with and record with I’m finally done chasing the Holy Grail of guitars as I can’t really think of anything out there that suits me better than what I’m playing. It’s not a lack of interest thing because I’m still playing out regularly in live bands, it’s just a realization that acquiring new toys isn’t as fulfilling as bonding with the ones I really dig. How about yall? If you’re a collector I guess a collection is never really finished. I’m assuming most of us are close in age so have yall landed that one guitar that just does it for you or is the guitar that will change your life still out there to be found? If you don’t already have it then tell us what that guitar will be. If you do already own it share some pictures.

My go-to axe is Yellow Dog, it just does exactly what I want it to and I’m sure this will be my main guitar for the duration.

Humor: Darwin awards can be brutal but I can’t help but laughing at them anyway.

This Day in History: In 2005 the very first video was uploaded on Youtube. Lee Majors was born, he’s 71! That’s it, nothing else worth noting.

Yesterday’s Mystery Guitarist: Frampton! I forgot he was endorsed by G&L and it was his birthday yesterday. Happy belated b-day Peter, R.I.P. Bob Mayo.

Today’s Mystery Guitarist:

This guy has been the wingman for the same superstar since 1975 and is still performing with him. He co-produces all the band’s albums and has songwriting credits with Robin Zander, Johnny Cash, Stevie Nicks, Brian Setzer, Don Henley and Bob Dylan. After touring exclusively with his main band he finally started a side project called The Dirty recently. The only other real band he was ever in was Mudcrutch. He has a Duesenburg signature model called the DMC though he is seen playing Rickenbackers or Gretches most of the time.

Thanks for hanging out with me for lunch this week! Taking volunteers for next week’s Lunch Reporter.

Re: Lunch Report, Friday, April 23

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks for the "Cammanche" congrat's. It's a pretty cool guitar. I'll try to do it justice, but that will prove difficult for a man of my limited talent for playing. It isn't for lack of trying. But, I'll play on anyway.

Certain guitars I buy to play, and others to collect. The Comanche VI definitely falls in the latter category. This doesn't mean that it won't be played, just that I bought it knowing how hard they are to come by, and how cool they are. Most of my other guitars are in player condition, even if they are relative rarity/rarebirds. It's no secret how much I dig the ASAT III. If I were to have one guitar, that would certainly be it. Even after messing with the Comanche VI last night, I went back to my ASAT III. It (tele-style) just fits me better, has tall frets and a maple board. This is a must in order for a fretboard to defend itself from my fingers, and get cleaner notes.

I have no expectation that any guitar is going to be a game changer for me. As much as I'd like this to be the case, I realize that, "Brother, it ain't the axe; It's he who wields it." :geek:

Today's mystery guitarist is a mystery to me.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:57 am

Great Darwin award!

I figured out the mystery guitarist, but had to resort to Wikipedia, so I won't spoil it for someone who can figure it out without such a crutch!!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Mystery guitarist: guess Mike Campbell (spelling?) with Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The band would be "The Dirty Knobs". I've seen them play a coupla' times in the L.A. area. Good music!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Yes, I don't know why "Knobs" did't make it into my text :)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:55 pm

I have a windsurfing buddy, who's also a semi-pro/pro bass player (actually sat on a recording that Will Ray was doing some guitar work on late last year.), who mentioned that the was going down to see that band in Thumbs' neck of the woods, within the last month. I guess I should listen to him when he makes such recommendations, eh? He said they were good.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Spot wrote:He has a Duesenburg signature model called the DMC though he is seen playing Rickenbackers or Gretches most of the time.

Forgot to mention: Of course on this Leo centric forum we should not overlook his early '50 Broadcaster.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:08 am

Spot, great week wish I could have played more. My work week was over the top as well!

Don't have any guitars that changed my life but have a few that changed my day, week, month and even perspective on guitars. Buying my first was a great feeling and keeps on happening :lol: Getting back a long ago sold guitar was another great day. My parts JD-5 gave me a true appreciation of what Jerry Donahue does for sound with a few special switches and wirings, and how satisfying building (or having other people build) a guitar to spec can be. Lastly, my ASAT Z3 SH gave perspective on SH bodies and how cool noise free p-ups can be.

I am somewhat of a collector but none are untouched wall hangers, so while a few are my primary guitars I am always on the lookout for then next ASAT. Probably should get rid of a few that were more impulse buys. :shocked028: