Lunch Report, Thursday, April 22

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Thursday! I spent all of yesterday morning fasting for a blood draw at the doctor’s and when I got there she said they didn’t need one after all. So I starved myself for no reason but it made going to teriyaki afterwards that much better!

Lunch today will be fish & chips! Heading down to Alki beach on my lunch break and having Halibut and Chips and a cold Corona Light at my favorite place. :happy0065:

G&L content: Thanks for the responses yesterday on Tribbies. Apparently, like their American cousins, they are an exceptional value that the rest of the world hasn’t gotten around to figuring out yet. I was watching some Youtube videos on the NAMM G&L booth this year, in particular an interview with Jerry Cantrell about the new Rampages and limited run Rampages with his custom graphics. It occurred to me that if I were Jerry Cantrell and owned the most famous G&L ever made and a fistful of other era correct G&ls why would I want to play a new one? What do guys like Eric Johnson, Richie Sambora, Cantrell, Clapton, Brian May, Slash, Van Halen, Jeff Beck, John Mayer, Buddy Guy, Dick Dale and countless others have in common? They all have signature series guitars with their names on the headstocks because they beat the hell out of an original for years and years and there’s apparently a target market for folks who want to own the same guitars as their heroes. But do the pros really play these guitars other than posing for advertisements? I’m sure Guild gave Brian May one of their BM signatures when they came out but I really doubt Brian May will give up his homemade Red Special to play a Guild knock-off. Eric Johnson owns ‘50’s Strats, I’m pretty sure he records with them and not the Fender imports. I have seen pictures of Clapton and Beck playing their respective signature Strats on occasion and but again, if you own the original vintage guitar then why play a contemporary knock-off. I know these guitars are made for the fans but if G&L made a Tribute signature guitar for you would you park your originals and play the new ones exclusively? Just talking here, not saying anything negative about signature series axes. This would be a good question for Will Ray 8-)

Humor: This is clever and funny, an instant classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2yNzw00mpA&playnext_from=TL&videos=fIfZp5RlfNU

This Day in History: In 1889 the Oklahoma Land Rush began, 1970 – the first Earth Day was observed, in 1969 The Who performed Tommy live for the first time, in 1978 the Blues Brothers appeared in a small sketch on Saturday Night Live for the first time, 1936 Glenn Campbell was born, in John Joseph (Jack Nicholson) was born in 1937

Yesterday’s Mystery Guitarist: Shawn500 guessed it – Charlie Sexton of The Arc Angles

Today’s Mystery Guitarist:

Born in England, went to school with David Bowie and both their “bands” played together in the school cafeteria. In 1969 (at 18 years old) formed a famous band with Steve Marriot which would be his stepping stone into the mainstream. He has played with George Harrison, Bill Wyman, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ringo Star, Matt Cameron and Mike McCready to name a few. Big hint: his was the biggest selling live album of all time. And if you are familiar with that album then you have heard this a hundred times over the years - “Bob Mayo on the keyboards, Bob Mayo”

Till tomorrow -

Re: Lunch Report, Thursday, April 22

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I'd like to see the KISW sticker on the signature Rampage, I grew up with those on almost everything I owned.
I like the idea of simulating well known axes, but when the company charges insane prices for them it immediately turns me off to the model and the company. I happily revert to making my own mods on my own guitars which is much more interesting than spending thousands on someone else's knock-off.

Mystery guitarist:
This guy:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Elwood wrote:
Mystery guitarist:
This guy:

HAHA...I knew it from the first clue, but that Simpsons clue drove it home.
I'll let someone else answer it though.....

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

In regards to the Signature guitars, it probably depends. Satriani and Vai play their signature guitars...but then I've never seen either playing a vintage axe. Brad Paisley generally plays new guitars live, too...unless he's taken some vintage Tele's and had them painted paisley...unlikely!! I've seen Eric Johnson use his live (in pics/videos), but on his latest DVD that came out since his Signature Strat he's NOT playing his Sig Strat, so obviously they don't always.

Though, I can see where many WOULD use them live...safer than travelling with vintage gear and risking damage and theft. But no doubt they'd be more likely to use vintage gear in the studio.

I heard one artist (can't remember who) who had a signature guitar say it was great, because when he was travelling around, he could just grab one off the shelf somewhere and know what he was getting...so I suppose that would be nice.

But some of these guys have so much gear, I'm sure they have more than one of their signature guitars laying around and probably pick them up and play from time to time, even if they don't "use" them for work.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Muleya wrote:

I heard one artist (can't remember who) who had a signature guitar say it was great, because when he was travelling around, he could just grab one off the shelf somewhere and know what he was getting...so I suppose that would be nice.

I think that might have been Vai, I remember an article where he mentioned how cool it is to go to a store and just pick up a guitar that has his voice.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm not a big fan of signature guitars, unless of course, it's a Leo Fender signature G&L. Pictures forthcoming. Thanks GGJaguar, for a beautiful guitar.

I'm thinking the guitarist may be Peter Frampton, final answer. Just a little better than a WAG, but the Simpson's cartoon character has the look of P.F.

Frampton Comes Alive might fit the big album bill.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Even though your Mystery Guitarist has already been identified. I'll post this as it has some G&L content:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Now there's a good guy to be decanting tone out of a G&L. Great photo. Ringo's cool too.
Frampton is a kick-ass guitar player, IMHO.

Hmmm...decanting well-aged tone from a wine red G&L....hmmm....

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:26 pm

I saw Dinosaur Jr. last fall, J. Mascis was playing a old beat up Jazzmaster but displayed right next to him on a single guitar stand was one of his 'Artist Series' signature Jazzmasters. I got the impression that he never played it but was required (or he was asked real nicely) to have it on stage with him during live shows.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:06 pm

pico peachy wrote:I saw Dinosaur Jr. last fall, J. Mascis was playing a old beat up Jazzmaster but displayed right next to him on a single guitar stand was one of his 'Artist Series' signature Jazzmasters. I got the impression that he never played it but was required (or he was asked real nicely) to have it on stage with him during live shows.

Interestingly, when I was in the market for a new guitar (ended up with my beautiful Comanche), I sampled a J. Mascis signature Jazzmaster at Truetone Music. The salesman said that J. Mascis himself had been in the shop the previous week. I asked him if JM had played his signature model while in the store, and the salesman just sort of grinned at me and said, "Not a chance."