Lunch Report, Monday, April 19

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:12 am

Hey everyone, Happy Monday. Been a while since I had the honors, hope it’s as fun as I remember. I was told to “fire this week up with crazy pics” but we’ll have to work up to that.

I’m on the road today so Monday’s Lunch Report will be a bit condensed as I’m going to be doing it from my laptop at Seatac airport.

My name is Spot, I play in a few tributes bands and have an original project here in Seattle Washington. I dig mid 80’s G&L Superstrats – I’m a player, not a collector. My musical roots hail from 100% *ss-kicking American made rock from the late 70’s though I believe in evolving and trying to stay current with contemporary music but when you’re a blockhead like me that’s harder than it sounds. Been participating on the G&LDP for about 5 years I guess. I’m a family guy, dog owner, 4x4 enthusiast and have a mild obsession with the macabre.

I’ll stick with the same old format – What’s for lunch, a little G&L content, This Day In History, Mystery Guitarist, and maybe a funny story here and there.

Lunch today will be Welch’s grape jelly with Jiff creamy peanut butter on generic white bread, a few Ruffles plain potato chips and some milk. I like my lunches like I like my guitars – plain, non-nonsense but tasty.

G&L content: The lunch reports are fun but finding anything that hasn’t been covered on G&L guitars/basses has always been a challenge. I haven’t worked within the G&L company or even been to the plant for a tour, all I can do is testify to their durability and playability. In the end of the day I guess those are the two main attributes that keep me a loyal G&L player that and the fact that’s cool to not be playing the same thing as every other guitarist in the city. Though I don’t act like it I turned 45 this year and with that milestone came another unsettling change – I have no interest in buying any more guitars. Yes, I went straight to Urgent Care when the realization settled in but that was 5 months ago and nothing has changed. How can you have chronic GAS for 30 years and just lose it overnight? Where I used to scan ebay daily looking for that G&L Superstrat that nobody was biting on I rarely even look these days. My slush fund I always kept handy just in case a guitar I had to have became available has since been used for buying pedals and maintenance on my amps and cabs. I can honestly say I don’t see any point in owning or playing any other guitars than my few personal faves I’ve been banging on for the past 5 years. For some unexplained reason the desire to seek out and own every mid ‘80’s G&L Superstrat has been replaced with realization that I can only play one at a time anyway and 5 gives my 4 backups. Now I’m not trying to discourage anyone or advocate responsible spending but I am wondering if anyone else out there hit a point where they realized they weren’t going to find another G&L of the same model that was going to play or sound any better than the ones they already have? This obviously doesn’t apply to collectors but if you’re a player do you take time to bond with your guitars or do you prefer to cycle through them? Inquiring minds wanna know. :confused0007:

Humor: :happy0007: The world is pointless without, and what is funnier than people FAILING at something so bad someone else had to post it on the NET. Here’s one that caught my eye over the weekend. Post up any good ones you have come across –

This Day in History: in 1897 – first Boston Marathon, 1993 last day for the Branch Davidians in Waco, Tim Curry turns 64 and Ashley Judd turns 42.

Mystery Guitarist:

The guitarist was born in England in 1946 and according to Rolling Stone is among the top 50 guitar players of all time (August 2003). He is usually seen playing a black Les Paul Custom. List of musicians he’s recorded and performed with includes David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Daryl Hall, Blondie, David Byrne & Andy Summers. In 1972 he experimented with using 2 tape machines to create delay, a process he named “Frippertronics”. In 2004 he was on the 3G tour with Satriani and Via and is credited on Microsoft’s Window’s Vista for creating some of the sounds the program uses.

Homework assignment: Tomorrow I’m going to ask yall to post a picture or two of yourself doing something you love other than guitar or bass playing. So dig up something and be prepared to participate.

Enjoy the rest of your Monday!

Re: Lunch Report, Monday, April 19

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:26 am

I think I've reached a saturation point with my GAS. I have some amps that need some work and having them fixed is more exciting to me than another Ax. I guess with one exception...I still dream about having a another Alembic bass , so I guess I'm not totally cured.

The mystery guitarist has been an inspiration for me since the late 70's...Discipline blew my mind when it came out.

Nice to see ya at the helm Spot,
I look forward to the rest of the week,
Kris

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

I am down to three guitars-all G&L (Leo SC-2, Comanche and 25th Anniversary) so in the back of my mind, I always have room for more but with a new band and pending wedding, I am done cycling through guitars for awhile. And actually, I am at point where I can't imagine trading or selling my current three. After two plus years of buying, selling and trading G&Ls, I have figured out what I really like. I just got my 25th Anniversary back from the shop, had the push/pull coil split installed...I just can't think of any reason to play any other guitar now.

With all that said, I still want to custom order something some day.

Mystery guitar-first glance at the photo, I thought of Brian May. then the term "Frippertronics" told me otherwise.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 am

Without a doubt I have too many G&L's today. And, as I've said before, there will be some herd-thinning as soon as the tax day blues pass. I had no great urge to buy another guitar. Then, last week, GGJaguar shows up here with a few gems to sell. I took the bait and should be checking her out late this week. It's one that the collector in me has wanted for a while, although I'd prefer an Interceptor style for the Comanche VI. They just don't come along very often. There may be fewer of those around than Leo era ASAT III's, and other such rarebirds. It may also be more than I can handle as a player. We'll see. I know someone who would like to take it off of my hands, should I find the complexities of the switch positions too daunting.

I have no idea who the mystery guitarist is.

Bring on the macabre.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 am

MrRoundel wrote: I took the bait and should be checking her out late this week. It's one that the collector in me has wanted for a while, although I'd prefer an Interceptor style for the Comanche VI.

Congrats on the Comanche,
GG is offering some great deals, glad see some are going to be enjoyed by members here,
if I had the cash I would have jumped at one of the early S500's (or the comanche VI).

(...I guess my GAS isn't cured, but it's better... :roll: )

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I've definately gotten to the point where I still lust after guitars, but I find myself able to control the gear lust better. Most of my gear wants have been fulfilled, and really the only other guitars I want are more of a "need". I could use another hollowbody to back up my Gretsch, and definately could replace my Tele with an Asat. Money's very tight for us right now, and another guitar is pretty much out of the question. Good think I have my G.A.S under control!

I love Failblog. Here's one of my recent favorites.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 pm

I still have GAS in all of its forms. LOL

I am forcing myself to think about it more before pulling the trigger on another bass or guitar. I really need to sell off some excess gear.
I am jealous that you are so happy with what you have. I am starting to get there.

I know who the mystery guitarist is, but I don't want to ruin the contest for anyone else. Oh what the hell- Robert Fripp.

How is that guy failing as a parent? The kid has both shoes, his head is not in contact with the ground and he is not riding whatever sleazy carnival ride that they are watching. Try chasing a 4 year old through a carnival before you think that hold is a bad idea! LOL

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey Spot!

I'm with Bassman. That parent seems to have a handle on things.

I have more than enough guitars, including two Leo-era bases I have yet to learn to play. So my plans are to learn some bass, teach my kid some guitar, and get myself an amp I really like if and when bad gas gives me the spends.

You, macabre? Ha! - ed

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Your mystery man is one of my all time favs. Discipline is one of my desert island discs. Didn't realize I played with Blondie. Nice.

And I've tried Beano, but I'm still as gassy as ever.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Spot wrote:..... I am wondering if anyone else out there hit a point where they realized they weren’t going to find another G&L of the same model that was going to play or sound any better than the ones they already have? This obviously doesn’t apply to collectors but if you’re a player do you take time to bond with your guitars or do you prefer to cycle through them? Inquiring minds wanna know. :confused0007:

I used to go through guitars like socks, usually keeping one or two that I took to gigs. I hit the GAS wall about a year ago. I pretty much sold everything I owned and bought 4 guitars that I really wanted - a PRS Korina McCarty, a Les Paul Studio, an American Deluxe V-neck Strat, and an ASAT Classic Custom S/H. The one common item between them is that they all have chunky necks.

Since making the big gear change, I've been playing a different guitar every week. While this has been fun, I haven't been able to get totally familiar with any of them and it became totally apparent this week at practice as I constantly fiddled with knobs trying to get the tone I wanted. I'm changing that as of this week. I like the playability of the PRS over the others and the tone is great, so that's taking over the #1 spot. I plan on playing the birds off that thing. I had a conversation with Emmitt this morning where I mentioned that I may thin the herd again - down to 2 or 3 guitars. I figure if I have one guitar and one back-up, that's plenty. Perhaps thats how a 55 year old mind works!
Brian

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:02 pm

repoman wrote: Didn't realize I played with Blondie. Nice.

I didn't realize you played with Blondie either. Cool!

;+) - ed

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Spot, a lot of coverage on the Boston Marathon on the news this AM. The subject of GAS is an interesting one. Ches said when he hit 55 he had the problem solved. Others reportedly earlier. Bassman still has it, MrRouded still appears to have a bit. I get mild pains now and then, but if I sell everything off, I get to patch all the holes in the wall and start over on some new pictures or something. At age 67 I'm am not looking for that much excitement! :twisted: -- Darwin

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:20 pm

darwinmohs wrote: MrRouded still appears to have a bit.... :twisted: -- Marvin

Oh boy. I give up. :shocked028: