A coffee table sized full color book on G&L's......

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am

has not been spotted at my local book dealer but one is in the works. Today we finalized an outline and have obtained great photo's of every model and prototype ever produced. Along with myself, other collectors worldwide and former storeowners and G&L employees, we will be unvailing this book in early march 2015. This book will start with a brief story about George and Leo's pre-G&L existence and rap up with a short chapter about the current G&L company.

Actually this is not going to happen and I was just hoping that this would put a fire under someones ass to get a book put out.
My neighbor does self publishing with a great deal of success and has volunteered her help. Yes I want to see a big colorful book about my favorite guitars and have stopped holding my breath waiting.

It's 2014, where is the book?,

y2kc

Re: A coffee table sized full color book on G&L's......

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 am

You got my attention ... only to have my hopes dashed ... :roll:

See this post: Yeah Baby! New Issue!!!.
At the end of Greg and Gabe's article on the S-500, there is this:

Special thanks to the late Dale Hyatt. Gabe Dellevigne and Greg Gagliano are fans of things G&L and are writing
a book about the history of the company and its instruments.

I know, I know, they have been saying their book is being written for many years now.

I, too, am impatiently waiting for this book to materialize. :searching: :zzz: :searching:

:ugeek:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

I'd love to cuddle up with a great book this Winter. Alas....??????

- ed

PS: Gabe?

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Casey,
Your idea is a darn good one. I've collected great photos (hi-def) of G&Ls over the years. Probably not print-worthy.
If you want to pursue this, I'll help you whole-heartedly.
- Brandon

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Agreed - it's getting tiring seeing books that feature G&L guitars w/ glaring mistakes & omissions; ones that show only modern BBE models instead of featuring Leo & Co's Fab Real Ones…

KF

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:00 pm

If somebody can provide decent photography skills, I can provide some decent Leo-era guitars and basses...

Ken

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 pm

KenC wrote:If somebody can provide decent photography skills, I can provide some decent Leo-era guitars and basses...

Ken

Have some pre-BBE instruments too, and some important ones to boot. So we could all go rogue ;-) But then again, I would like to give greg and Gabe a fair chance …

- Jos

P.S. And darn it Casey, that first post had me at hello ...

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
KenC wrote:If somebody can provide decent photography skills, I can provide some decent Leo-era guitars and basses...

Ken

Have some pre-BBE instruments too, and some important ones to boot. So we could all go rogue ;-) But then again, I would like to give greg and Gabe a fair chance …

- Jos

P.S. And darn it Casey, that first post had me at hello ...

That Casey is a real instigator - G-d bless him! - ed

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 am

Hold your horses . I have faith in Gabe .
I am happy to wait as long as it takes him to write the definitive book on G& L !!!

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:11 am

Nice to see ya Anthony, just today I was wondering how you are.

There will be no equal to Gabe and Greg's book, that I'm sure of.

A G&L version of "Beauty of the Burst" would be a good compliment to it.
I'd love to hire a photographer and fly around the world meeting folks and gathering high res G&L photos.
Maybe I should start a kickstarter campaign :think:

Good to see you too Zapco !

elwood

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 am

Greg and Gabe's book will be wonderful. This coffee table book is different.

For those of us who contribute our photos, it will be even more special. Each guitar could get it's own pinup. Also, we could do theme pages (see America theme below).

I LOVE it when you guys post pics of your guitars. It's shameless, gratuitous guitar glory. G&L's are simply fun to look at.

Perhaps this forum could be THE way to make this happen - take photos separately and post links to HI-DEF versions.
DropBox? Or is there a better way?
Self-publishing houses are all over that can spit out a short-run.

[image]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/brandonvestal/P1010781.jpg[/image]

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 pm

verybestal wrote:Greg and Gabe's book will be wonderful. This coffee table book is different.

For those of us who contribute our photos, it will be even more special. Each guitar could get it's own pinup. Also, we could do theme pages (see America theme below).

I LOVE it when you guys post pics of your guitars. It's shameless, gratuitous guitar glory. G&L's are simply fun to look at.

Perhaps this forum could be THE way to make this happen - take photos separately and post links to HI-DEF versions.
DropBox? Or is there a better way?
Self-publishing houses are all over that can spit out a short-run.

[image]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/brandonvestal/P1010781.jpg[/image]

DropBox is not a photo service and you cannot use it to post photos from it. I recommend using our Gallery because we
host the photos on our server. Lately, I have seen some recent photo posts which are no longer viewable because the
OP has moved or removed the photos. :thumbdown:
We allow photos up to 1024 pixels wide X 1300 pixels high, so Hi-Def photos can be posted inline.

BTW, nice trio of Comanche's you've got there. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:ugeek:

Re: THE BOOK!

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 pm

I can't think of a book I want more that the Gabe/Greg G&L book. I want it!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:11 am

I really wish Gabe and GG would just cut a deal with Vintage Guitar mag and do monthly installments. This would let the world know a little more about George and Leo's last creations and help spread the word. Heck I wouldn't mind if they just chimed in here once in a while. Whats with the silence? I would think that if they want the world to buy their book that they would be keep the buzz going. How about a sample?

Both guy's have a lot to offer but someone will beat them to it if they wait much longer. It is a simple story, they were only making guitars for eleven years. 1980-1991

y2kc

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:28 am

I'm sure that publishing a book of the quality that Gabe and GG would want to be part of is harder that it seems.
I would give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to wondering when and why their book isn't out yet.

I have some very clean L-1000's if pictures of them are needed.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:06 pm

I know from the source, that Gabe and Greg want to cover the entire history of Fender and not just G&L.
That's quite an undertaking.
Personally, I'd love a book on just Leo Era G&Ls, but the WHOLE story is exciting, too.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Well that puts more paint on the canvas, thanks for the update. :thumbup: