Lunch Report Friday April 9, 2010

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:42 am

Lunch: Since I am home today I will be able to raid the fridge so I don’t know what’s for lunch yet.

Project bass Friday: I am off today so I spent sometime taking some pictures of my project basses. The unusual and in need of repair are the criteria for my basses in this category.

I love to take an old neglected bass and turn it into something special by repairing and adjusting it until it plays great.

Here are a few of my project basses:
A Gibson EB-3 in need of attention:

Here is a wacky "off the wall" bass that I just finished fixing up. It's called a Marina and I have never seen another one like it:
This is my fretless Jazz bass copy. Its a great parts bass that has the heaviest fender bridge ever made on it. It must be about 2 lbs. of brass.
Here is a weird 1970s Yamaha bass. I think somebody posted a picture of a related guitar model a while back. This is the first bass with a pan pot AFAIK.
I really dig the matching headstock!
Do you have any project guitars or basses that you would like to share with us?

U.S. Income Taxes are due by the 15th. Have you finished yours? Do you do your own or farm it out?

Have a great weekend
bassman

Re: Lunch Report Friday April 9, 2010

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 am

I don't have anything interesting on the project bass front to share, but great report! Great reports all week.

-Brock

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 am

Wow...some real treasures there!
I really dig that Yamaha.
I don't have a picture of my old P-Bass copy garage sale prize.
It actually sounds good, but looks like hell. It's sitting in a corner behind my closet door right now. When the L2000 arrived, the P-Bass we relegated to being an occasional player when I didn't feel like getting my L2000 out of its case.

Still haven't done out taxes. Been so busy I haven't had a chance. Need to this weekend though! :shocked028:

Great job this week Bassman....I think the lowenders get neglected in this primarily guitar oriented forum. Good to see they have a champion!

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:16 am

Some nice bases there and some good projects. I haven't any projects at the moment but I am a bit of a tinkerer so there probably will be one in the near future. I think my next project will be a self build with active pickups and a Schaller Hannes bridge.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm with shawn500 on the Yamaha. It's very cool looking. Actually, they're all very interesting. I can see why you were drawn to them.
Presently, I have no project guitars or basses, as my ASAT III is complete, and sweet.

Basses put the cool in rOCk and rOlL (Hey, it's really in there!). Nice job this week. Good luck on your gig(s).

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Great projects Bill. I don't have any projects. Just wanted to say "great week" and to let you know that I'm going to try to make to at least the first set of your Middlebrook gig next week :happy0065: I hope to bring my wife, for whom April 16 is significant. She's a CPA and in addition to her regular job does income taxes at this time of year. April 16 would mark the first time we've been out together in a couple of months at least.
If I can't get a sitter, I'll bring the kids but it would only be for one set.

I was wondering if you'd consider playing my L1k if I brought it and you liked it (it's killer!). Also, if you're interested, I'd love to task you with going over my SB-2 and doing a good setup (I'd pay you, of course). The L-1000 seems to be tweaked just about perfectly and is ready to Rock OUt!! - ed

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Far too many projects.

This SX will get a bathtub route to become a test plank. Picked it up local for $40

The result of testing will go into this..

Or this...

Trying to make this..

or this..

or this..

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks for all of the replies.

You have some great project basses there, Jim.

I have always wondered what that SB-1 with the added bridge G&L humbucker sounds like? I'll bet that its an awsome sound.

$40 bucks for a used SX? That's some good shopping!
I like the brown Precision bass. I would say drop some MFDs in it if you can find some.
Actually, I like all of your project basses. They all have the potential to be great.