Out-Stratting the Strat Saturday 29th Lunch report

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Hey everybody , I hope you're healthy and happy!!
I'm sometimes slack about posting Lunch. But I'm preparing a BBQ lunch of a Boneless chicken with Pesto fillling. This Spring weather is just too amazing not to be outside.

These days I don't really buy guitar magazines but I have maintained my subscription to Vintage Guitar magazine .
So to paint the scene I open up my letterbox and there is the VG magazine . I make myself a short macchiato and sit in my recliner chair . Yeah life is good !!
I didn't notice it straight away but the cover says "And The History Of The G&L S-500" . I'm straight there . I then see it's written by Gabe Dellevigne and Greg Gagliano, now I'm getting really excited . A four page article on my favourite guitar ever .
As you would expect it's beautifully written and in my opinion the S-500 does Out-Strat the Strat.
It reminded me of the time a couple of years ago when I was lucky and smart enough to make contact with "the very generous of his time " Gabe . After many emails I decided I had to own an early Mahogany body S-500 with a maple neck .
For those interested it is the Ocober 2014 edition of Vintage Guitar mag.
I suggest we all email VGuitar@VGuitar.com and tell them we want more articles on G&L .
I am happy to patient for the history book of G&L that is being written by Gabe and Greg . But in the meantime it's a great little insight into a mighty guitar.
Something I have learnt in the last few years is if your going to take advice from someone make sure they are really smart.
I'm happy I took advice to buy my 1982 S-500 .
Now I have to learn more songs before our next performance on Thursday.
If you've got a good quote or want to share something please do .
Have a good weekend .
Anthony

Re: Out-Stratting the Strat Saturday 29th Lunch report

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 pm

I agree with the opinions regarding the S500. Heck, Legacy's too...

Here's a good quote:

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!" - Mae West

Cheers,

Will

Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:10 am

Hey Will, thank you for the quote and how true it is .
Beautiful Lefty you own . Lovely in the natural finish .
Thanks

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks. Those two are the only ones I have right now. They play well / track well and that's about my only criteria. If they can't do that, I move'um out. My latest cut was that Nash Tele I posted pics of. Great instrument, but it couldn't hold up in the studio. I ended up falling back to a Parker to finish the sessions.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks for the LR! And you were saying early hog S-500?

ImageImage

Yum!!

Love these square cornered pups:
ImageImage

BTW, if anybody wonders about what the differences are between the S-500 and the Nighthawk/Skyhawk, one of the is the angling of the bridge pickup. This is my Nighthawk with the pickguard of the S-500 on top of it:

- Jos