Lunch Report Monday, April 5, 2010

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Yall, my name is Bill, my handle on this board is bassman and this is going to my 11th time serving as your illustrious Lunch Reporter since January of 2003. I am married with three kids, a son and twin girls, the last of whom will graduate college next month, Hurray!

This is officially LOW-ENDER Week on the KCC, or G&LDP.

I will try to be prompt in posting a report every day around 12 noon Eastern daylight time, but I may vary depending on my IT duties here at work (sh*t happens, ya know LOL), and other stuff

Side note:
Today is also my son's birthday. 26 years ago I and my wife were blessed with a great son, Matthew. We celebrated with him and his two sisters last night.

Lunch today will be left over cheese pizza that I brought with me to work to save money. I will wash it down with iced tea. Yum.

I have played bass guitar since I was 15 years old . I started taking lessons in February of 1969 and I played continually ever since in various bands, church groups and touring groups over the past 41 years. Its incredible to me that is has been that long!

I have also taught lessons at various times, but that is getting hard to fit in around my band's performance schedule and working. I want to make some new arrangements to teach since I do feel that it is important to pass along your musical knowledge.

I will say that I had a long time when I only played bass in a church folk music group while my kids were young and I still perform in this group that requires me to read a lot of new and different musical styles.
I play in two bands right now: RAGs a classic rock, blues and country band and The Capital Blues Ensemble. A 7 piece blues band that I have worked wih for the past 2 years.
Among these playing situations I have had a lot of different methods of direction from various musical leaders, ranging from full charted bass parts to someone yelling out a key before starting a song.

Today's questions: If you are directing a band- How do you communicate with a bass player?

If you are a bass player- How do you prefer to be directed in aband situation?

Bass question:

Which is your favorite G&L bass?
Do you prefer active electronics or passive?

Re: Lunch Report Monday, April 5, 2010

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:31 am

bassman wrote:If you are a bass player- How do you prefer to be directed in aband situation?

I like to get chord charts - if you give me a map then I don't have to draw my own. I usually don't need it long as I'll commit it to memory over time
but it makes it easier to get moving (and makes sure the "leader" knows how the tune goes and what version/arrangement they want to do).

bassman wrote:Bass question:

These days I'm back to the SB-2 being my favorite (I tend to oscillate back and forth between the L2K and the SB2) as long as I put a tone control in it. The oft-maligned (by afficionados of MFD pickups) JB-2 is my second-favorite (although I tend to modify them also and toss in a series mode switch).

For whatever reason I prefer my basses passive and to do any additional tone shaping off-board. But I like to have amps that sound good to me flat and usually just have a cord between the bass and amp (effects are fun but I like to cart around as little as I can get away with) so I don't do a lot of shaping.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 am

Directing, i'd normally write out some chords and jam through a few times and see how it pans out. Improvisation is always good. Although I've been playing solo for a while!
When I do fill on bass I normally like chords charts, and as craigb said it helps if the leader knows what is going on.

I much prefer active electronics. My next guitar build will be active as well. It gives you more scope at the turn of a knob and means you don't have to bother with effects. If you get a nice sound you can manipulate it with ease.

L-2500 they are really nice five stringers.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 pm

bassman wrote:Hi This is officially LOW-ENDER Week on the KCC, or G&LDP.

This will be great!

Today's questions: If you are directing a band- How do you communicate with a bass player?

Our band does not use charts but any of us will show the others what we would like during practice.
If we are recording, I take charge as I do the recording, engineering and mixing with input from others. The lead player is a great arranger and he and I arrange anything that needs to be arranged. Time management is essential when recording to get things done.

I generally am an ear player but will use chord charts to learn if I am unfamiliar. I have not been a site reader since College as I do not make a living at this. Having said that, I would very much like to be a good sight reader.
Bass question:

I only have the L2k Fretless and I really like it but it is not for everything. I may get an L2500 at some point to go with my Stingray 5.

I like active basses although I would like to try a Timithy B Schmidt Carvin with volume control only. I don't change the settings on my bass much once set up for the gig ,but I do use the pickup switching.---- Darwin.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm

bassman wrote:This is officially LOW-ENDER Week on the KCC, or G&LDP.

And there was much rejoicing. Yea....

"Uh, excuse me, Sir. Sir? Sir... There. I don't mean to interrupt your nap, but I was wondering if we could trouble you to perhaps play this tune that we've got mapped out here. Yes. If you could maybe work closely with that drooling drummer... yes, that's the one ...that might work out the best. Yes, I know he's drooling. Actually, you're right - it is quite profuse, but it's how we level the stage. Oh, I can assure you that he's a very good drummer. Yes, Sir, we'll make sure he stays right there. Yes, he gets a clean t-shirt for the show."

Changes work for me. Also, a couple run-throughs with the vocalist is a great help because I tend to key on the vocals.

I kinda like my L-2500. I wonder if I could get Swiss Army or Wenger knobs for it? Seriously, it's a great bass.

Active.

Ken...

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 pm

bassman wrote:Today's questions: If you are directing a band- How do you communicate with a bass player?

Usually, I find a brick or a 2x4 up side the head works well.

I'll do chord charts, but some guys have told me they prefer to get it off the record themselves.

I put a band together one time; rehearsing for six weeks--three times a week. Go to do the gig. I call the next song of off the set list--a very popular classic rock standard that we've rehearsed time and time again, and the bass player turns to me in a panic and says, "We've never done that before!"

Should have killed him right then and there. Yep, woulda been justifiable!

bassman wrote:If you are a bass player- How do you prefer to be directed in aband situation?

Not applicable to me, but I'm sure it would involve copious amounts of money, alcohol and women.

"Have your people contact my people..."

That would probably be the L-2000. But I don't own a G&L bass, sad to say.

bassman wrote:Do you prefer active electronics or passive?

My Fender Precision Lyte bass is active. But, you can do a lot with an old P-bass, if you know what you're doing.

Bill

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:17 pm

bassman wrote:Today's questions: If you are directing a band- How do you communicate with a bass player?

"I know Jamerson is your idol, but the tune we're playing is a Polka!" :lol:

Peace...

GDub

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:31 pm

bassman wrote:
This is officially LOW-ENDER Week on the KCC, or G&LDP.

Nice. I don't have a lot to contribute but since I own a couple of G&L basses, I can add something.

bassman wrote:I have also taught lessons at various times, but that is getting hard to fit in around my band's performance schedule and working. I want to make some new arrangements to teach since I do feel that it is important to pass along your musical knowledge.

That's commendable. You're not in the L.A. area, are you?

Dude, you rock. What's wrong with the lead guitarist?

If a bass player takes directions any worse than I do, the musical world is in big trouble.

I like the body and headstock shape of the L5000, but for a very new bass player I find the 5th string to be a bit distracting. I'm working on it. My ASAT Signature is a quite a beauty too, and is easier for me to get my bearings on the 4 string setup.

bassman wrote:Do you prefer active electronics or passive?

While I only have the option on my ASAT, I didn't find it did much for me, and my amp didn't seem to take kindly to the active setting. Truth be told, I might not have been doing something correctly.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Gimme a chart and a pencil to make notes.

Depends on the moon phase, :rolleyes: the L-2000 is the goto but sometimes the El Toro, SB-2, Lynx, or JB-2 may fit the bill better. The El Toro lives to be active, the 2K passive.

Jim

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 pm

bassman wrote:Which is your favorite G&L bass?

Favorite G&L bass is the L-1000. Preferably with a mahogany body and a ebony board.

I prefer passive.

-Brock

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:04 am

Well, in our band, I'm lucky. I'll usually show the boys a new song, and within 15 minutes Brian has something worked out on the bass, and Greg has some cool drum pattern. We've all been around the block a few times, so none of us are primadonnas, and are open to suggestions. I play bass and Brian also plays guitar, so we know how to "speak" in each others instruments, so to speak.

Well, I only has one bass, my L-2000, and it's all the bass I need. I'd like to eventually get another Hofner Cavern Bass, I really miss the one I had, it was fun to get my McCartney on. :thumbup:

Great start B-man!

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks for all of the replies. I have read them all and I appreciate the humour and wisdom of all of your posts.
I may refer to them throughout the week.

Thanks,
-bassman