LR 4th August 14. The greatest G&L ever??

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:49 am

Hello all,

Thank you Jos foe a very entertaining week .

No time for lunch as I have some stuff to share with my great forum friends.

So,

After 3 long years trying to get divorced I have finally succeeded. I have learnt divorce is hard and expensive. $225,000 expensive.
I have learnt your children, health and happiness are everything . Oh and if you're lucky enough to have a great wife or husband make sure she/ he stays your everything.
The road I have travelled is not one I would wish on anyone. But I have my children in my life and my freedom now.

So what's a man to do for a reward . Buy a guitar seemed like the greatest idea I could think of.
I tried to talk another forum member into selling his late model Interceptor. But he couldn't part with it.
But then I got lucky . I was due some luck and lots of it . And I got lots of luck in one transaction.
I think I unearthed the best , well what must be a leading contender for the greatest G&L ever.

For the following reasons , but not limited to.

It is one of maybe 1 dozen made.
It was Leo Fenders attempt at building a Gibson Les Paul, albeit with a bolt on neck. I love Gibson almost as much as G&L :alright: No , that's a lie.
The grain on all the timbers is of the highest calibre, you just can't get better . The Mahogany is beautiful, The maple neck has the most amazing tiger stripe grain. The ebony neck is figured in the most stunning way. It is finished only the most talented painter could. Thanks Fred !!
It sustains forever.
Dale Hyatt's idea of mounting the volume and tone knobs from the back is brilliant. To me its so aesthetically pleasing ,Thanks Dale.
The fixed bridge is so comfortable.
This model has previously sold for more than US $10,000 on a couple of occasions , so it must be good

But I think its the greatest G&L on the planet just because it's mine :banana: :banana: :banana:

And about friendship, a very important part of our lives.
My great American friend brought it out here as part of his family of 5's luggage after their family holiday to California.. So I had no shipping costs ( Australia is a long way from anywhere )or expensive import duties. that makes me happy and feel just a bit rebellious.
My new American friend Josey Wales (not his real name obviously)and I had another perfect transaction. I have named this G&L Josey wales. Thanks GM. I always name my G&L's . That's a legacy of the highly recommended BassesbyLeo website and some cool blokes who named their basses. I cant wait to visit Josey Wales on my way to the Grand Canyon when I take my kids to America
I would never have owned this guitar if it wasn't for Gabe. So thank you mate you are almost as awesome as my guitar. Haha.

So this week I think we should all post our great G&L guitars. Someone has to own the greatest and all that matters is its great to you.

Thank you and all the best,

Anthony

[url=http://s[URL=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/anthonymburke/media/DSCF2713_zps1cada900.jpg.html]Image[/url]1292.pImagehImageotobucket.com/user/anthonymburke/media/DSCF2720_zps043af3ab.jpg.html]Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: LR 4th August 14. The greatest G&L ever??

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 am

Big Congrats on clearing your plate , that G-200 is quite a dessert !

The fingerboard wood...Wow !
I bet it has some nice growl to the tone.

Thanks for the LR (although it seems to be ten days earlier here :eh: ) and the big pics ,
I was just wondering what G&L you had headed your way before I found your post.

elwood

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:20 am

Thanks Elwood, I appreciate it mate .
I have changed my title to 2014 rather than 14.
I look forward to photos of your guitars .
Thanks
A

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 am

Anthony, that is one beautiful G&L. A perfect example of a flamed neck and the condition looks awesome. What a find! You are certainly hanging out with a good set of friends and congrats on the life change. Friends and family are everything and owning some cool G&Ls are only icing on the cake!

Greatest G&L is hard to answer and we all have our own greatest. It would be hard to pick for me but here is one that that was off the charts for me when I first saw it. It came home with me immediately.

It is my Z-3 with gold plated hardware. It is awesome to play.-- Darwin

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 am

Anthony,

Congrats!! Beautiful G-200! And good to know it has found a new good home down-under!

- Jos

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 am

Anthony,

Congratulations on getting everything sorted out finally, and on the G-200. This is the one guitar that sets off uncontrollable GAS for me, and the one G&L I have no expectation of owning. Yours is gorgeous!

Ken

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:22 am

Great post Anthony!

I can't remember ever hearing about the G200-- what a treat!

My greatest G&L guitar is my Legacy. I ordered it from Tim at Buffalo Brothers in 1999 while I was in the USAF stationed at a remote location in South Korea. I asked for the fattest V-neck they would build-- and they delivered! Then in July 2008 I met Phillis Fender at a G&L open house and she signed the back of the guitar :) She is such a sweet lady. The guitar is now in need of a re-fret and has a few beginning to lift from the board, so she needs a little work, but it's by far my favorite guitar-- (I've got a favorite bass story, but that's for another day ;) )

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:11 pm

Anthony,

Interceptors are a dime a dozen compared to your g-200. Anyways that guy is hard to deal with, he never sells his stuff. I think I might just know him.

Good luck with the new freedom,kids and that special G&L. Your G-200 is a beauty!

y2kc

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Congrats Anthony on both counts ..... if I had a G 200 I'm sure it would be a favorite !!

out of my small collection I like different guitars for different reasons .....

for gigging I like my Fallout and SC 2 (LE 2 too but it doesn't leave the house) because of the light weight , I have no problems playing for three hours with the light weight guitars , not to mention they sound great

for the feel of it .... or it seems like they are made for my hands and body , my 1997 S 500 , 2000 Comanche and 1984 Cavalier just feel so good to my body and hands , the body contours , the balance , the neck all feel great on these three guitars .... all my G&L feel good but these three seem to stand out a bit more than the others ..... my 1998 ASAT Classic I sold to GentlemanJim would of been in this group if I would of kept it

for looks (my taste anyway ) are my two USA Metal Flake ASAT's , the Classic and the Deluxe with Bigsby ..... I could stare at these two guitars all day long and never get sick of looking at them

for sound and knowing Leo personally had this in his hands would be my Broadcaster ..... what a beautiful sounding G&L through my Twin Reverb and Super Reverb that's undeniable ..... this guitar is probably just a medium jumbo re-fret away from being my favorite of all my guitars .... I just can't play the low/wide frets worth a crap and this thing is so sweet I just can't bring myself to re-fret just yet but I'm thinking about it

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:48 am

Beauty Anthony! My fav G&L is whichever one I buy next! :evilgrin:

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks Darwin, Jos and Ken , I always have really liked this forum and the friendships and advice.
Darwin it is a mighty fine guitar you own .
What year was it made ?

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Ken if ever you're in Australia you are welcome to come over and play it . You'll realise your GAS is well founded .

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks Monahan,
That's a ripper. Your story reminds me of Hendrix. Jimi was a paratrooper .
I like the fact you have played it so much . That's what they are for .
Big fat neck is an awesome idea

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Y2Kc , that's a funny post . Maybe one day . ???

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:35 pm

You have quite a collection Fumble fingers . I was thinking about what you said about the contours and neck feeling just right on your best guitars. Those 2 things are very valid points and I'll remember that if I purchase another guitar.although buying American guitars from Australia is a wait and see what you get proposition .

I really hear what you say about the refret of the broadcaster .

You'll make the right decision ,of that I'm sure .

And Thanks flanoman , good luck with your next purchase

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Anthony, I haven't removed the neck but it is probably a 2001/2002 build.-- Darwin

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:32 pm

I got in on the tail end of this LH. I had a crazy week, long story, also not very interesting. I dig the guitar, but sorry for your ordeal. Sounds like you made it to the other side...

Here is my favorite, well all my G&L's are, but this early 90's Legacy does it for me. Super light weight, deep cut & locking Sperzels:

Cheers,

Will

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 pm

that's some beautiful grain on that Legacy Will !! ..... show us a back side shot if you have one :)

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:05 am

Sure. The lighting could be better as the gloss shine distorted the cut-away part...

Cheers,

Will

Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:23 pm

the cut out looks great !! ..... I wish I would of known about the Locking tuners when I ordered my first two the Legacy and SC 2

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:Y2Kc , that's a funny post . Maybe one day . ???

Hmmmmmmm. - ed

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:23 am

Great to see that the G-200 made it safe & sound. A real beauty for sure! Hard to believe that at one time I had 85 G&Ls in the collection & I'm now down to about 5! You & Jos got pretty much got the cream of the crop! Nice to know that they're in good hands. Looking forward to getting together when you make it to Arizona.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Josey , if you don't mind me asking , what 5 models out of the 85 have you kept ??.... you definetly have/had some great G&L's !!

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:59 am

I've kept ( for now) a couple of X-Body Interceptors, one heavily reliced & brought back to life by Gabe. The other is Leo's that I purchased from Dale Hyatt. I also have an '86 ASAT, a couple of early S-500s , an F-100, a top loaded G-200 & a couple of Legacys. I was going through some pictures the other day of the G&Ls that have gone through my hands. Man, I've had some beauties! Upon reflection, I wish I still had a few of them. Oh well.....

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:58 am

Josey Wales wrote:... I was going through some pictures the other day of the G&Ls that have gone through my hands. Man, I've had some beauties! Upon reflection, I wish I still had a few of them. Oh well.....

Josey,

Of some of them reside over here, I grant you 'visitation rights' ;-)

- Jos

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks Jos! You & Anthony got some of the cream. I know that they're in good hands!

Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Josey, nowhere near as seasoned as you, but still have had a few pass through that I miss (most I don't at the end of the day).
When they exist in pictures, that's the memory that counts. You should post some pics in the new forum - we're starved for good pics of Leo-era stuff these days. It was great to see KenC's wall.
Brandon