Lunch Report June 12th, 2014 Power Tour

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Lunch: Bratwurst, chips, and a Coke. We were at one of the local lunch stops for this year's Hot Rod Power Tour, Heidt's Suspension in Lake Zurch, IL

G&L Question: Last week there was plenty of conversation about the new Detroit Muscle Series colors. I am a car guy, so I like them. Obviously Leo and company were car people too, given the inspiration of may colors in the original Fender line. So, here it the question: What color you've seen on a car made you stop and say- "Damn, that would look hot on a G&L!"

Non-G&L Question: What was your favorite car growing up that you desperately wanted but could not put in your own garage?
Last edited by JagInTheBag on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Lunch Report June 12th, 2014

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:43 pm

I always loved late 60's Mustangs and Corvettes when I was young .
I still love them but now I'm older I would love an Italian sports car.
As for colours Jag , I love Black cars , funny I have just taken my near mint Broadcaster to my luthier who said I hate Black guitars .
He has had to pull all the parts off and buff it because polishing will just show up scratches on a black guitar .
Can't wait to get it back .
What cars and years are your preference ?
Thanks
Anthony

Re: Lunch Report June 12th, 2014

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 pm

I am into American Muscle. I have a '74 Challenger Ralley 360 4spd, last year they made the original body Chally. One of my all time favorites is a 1968 Mercury Cougar GTE, 427. That is the perfect blend of 1960's American luxury combined with brash, balls out horsepower from Ford's "Total Performance" era.

Re: Lunch Report June 12th, 2014 Power Tour

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm not much of a car guy, but I do appreciate the vintage colors that were used on the early Fenders. Surf green is my favorite by far. In my younger days I loved ships, but I don't think haze grey would make a good guitar finish.

The one thing I can remember looking at and immediately wanting in a guitar finish was a thundercloud about thirty seconds before the rain started. That was 31 years ago, and I have yet to come across anything that resembles it.

The one car I was desperate for back in the day was an Alfa Romeo Spider. I signed on the dotted line for one just before I graduated from college, but the next day I found out the Navy was sending me to spend the winter in a shipyard up north. I knew it wasn't the right environment to take that car into, and fortunately the dealer was very understanding and let me back out of the contract.

My first car was a '74 AMC Matador. I paid $200 for it in 1984, and got $500 in trade on it three years later. It was purple (or more accurately, faded blue that the white primer showed through) and had all sorts of creaks and rattles from the chassis that I could never get to go away. I thought of it as a cross between cheap transportation and self-propelled embarrassment. I did like the fact that the front seats folded back flush with back seat, and made a big bed. That was a nice feature for a 20 y/o to have. On the bright side, it only broke down and left me stranded one time in three years. On the not-so-bright side, that one time was in front of my girlfriend's house immediately after I broke up with her. But that's another ramble for another LR...

Ken

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm a fan of fast black cars and loud black guitars, especially with cool guitar seatbelts 8-)

My first car was a 71 convertible mustang so I was a Mustang and Challenge fan in my youth, while lusting after Mercedes 450 SL. I do think the American cars are showing some real POWER :D Love the guitar car combo pictured here, sweet. I haven't been to a car show in years, may just have to change that.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm a car guy !! .. currently have a Vintage white 1963 Fairlane with 428 4 speed verti-gate shifter , recently had 1974 Duster 440 hemi orange and a 1967 Chevy Nova Fullerton red :) and 4 speed ... a 1989 trans Am GTA 350 blue/silver combo that I sold over the winter , first muscle car I bought back in 1979 right before I turned 18 and it was 1965 fastback Mustang 289 hi-po 4 speed , Cobra dual four barrel , black on black ...... all time favorite would have to be a Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 429 Mustang

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Fumble you ARE the man! Had a neighbor in the early 70's with a blue Nova that screamed!
Post some pics :searching:

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 am

Sam,

I dig the back seat guitar storage. It is as if the car maker knew those rear buckets would ideally fit G&L gig bags!

Kenc,

"I thought of it as a cross between cheap transportation and self-propelled embarrassment." I've been there brother! Only mine was a brown over brown Ford Maverick- it broke down in Sheboygan, WI in the middle of the night in front of a furniture factory. I walked in, 3rd shift was split on their musical tastes, half were listening to the Beatles, the other half Metallica- both a full volume. MY girlfriend and her dad picked me up in the morning. Strangely, she married me. ;)

"On the not-so-bright side, that one time was in front of my girlfriend's house immediately after I broke up with her. But that's another ramble for another LR..."

I can't wait to hear it.

Fumble,,

You ARE a car guy! Very cool. If you like 1970 Boss 429's, you'll love this:

You might be compelled to buy a Detroit Muscle Series guitar for all the dust settles as well...

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 pm

sam wrote:Fumble you ARE the man! Had a neighbor in the early 70's with a blue Nova that screamed!
Post some pics :searching:

the Nova and Duster are pre-digital age (anything before last year) , I just have regular photo's for those two and my 65 fastback

Jag , back in 1979 I had a guy wanting to trade me straight up even , my 65 Fastback for his B-9 Mustang, both in equal condition ....... I look back at that as the " Two Fools met and parted" episode ..... but at the time the 65 was worth way more than the Boss 9 , amazing what 35 years did in the value between those two models , B-9's just sky rocketed , 65's went up then down and stayed down