Lunch Report, Wednesday, April 14th

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi guys,

I had a late lunch today at a place called Pat & Oscar’s http://www.patandoscars.com/, a small chain in SoCal, which they claim is “famous for great food.” I think it’s convenient for OK food, and the longer it’s been since the last time I went there, the more appeal I find in the place. Had a gyro, a Greek salad, and some seasoned breadsticks. The breadsticks are tasty as is the salad dressing; I suppose both are P&O’s signature thing, much like they are at Olive Garden.

Since I got some good feedback on the competitions yesterday, let’s keep it going. Yesterday was about bigger contests, the sort requiring more effort on the part of the contestant. What about small contests. Imagine we just “tweeted” a question on twitter. The first person with the right answer wins some little tchotchke.

What if this were totally lo-fi? For example, I just opened my desk drawer and took out a G&L catalog circa ’91. You know, the one with the natural signature ASAT and “THE REAL ONES” on the cover. Let’s say I tweet this:

“The zip code for G&L is 92831 today. What was the zip code in March of 1991? First correct answer wins a 1991 G&L catalog”

How about it, guys? Got some ideas for mini-contests, the sort which could be quick, even impulsive? Bring 'em on!

By the way, the first person to answer the zip code question does, in fact, win the 1991 G&L catalog from my desk drawer. :)

Dave

Re: Lunch Report, Wednesday, April 14th

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:03 pm

How bout 92631

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:08 pm

SJG wrote:How bout 92631

That's right!

Email or IM me your name and address and I'll mail this catalog out to you. Thanks for playing!

Dave

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:48 pm

1.) What color at G&L was named for one of its founders?

2.) How old would Leo Fender have been on his 100th birthday?

3a) What are the notes contained in a one octave scale of G Mixolydian?
b.) What would be the more common name for this scale?

4.) What is the acronym for G&L's famous neck finish?

5.) How many years did G&L throw their Fullerton "Shindig"?

6.) Who was the better guitar player, G. or L.? :evilgrin:

7.) What is the difference between an ASAT Bass and L2000 bass of the same year, electronically?

8.) What year did G&L discontinue the 3-bolt neck on their 6-string guitars?

9.) What year are they bringing them back ? :happy0007:

10.) As the years went by, did G&L make their MFD's hotter (higher impedance) or cooler (lower impedance)?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

MrRoundel wrote:1.)

10.) As the years went by, did G&L make their MFD's hotter (higher impedance) or cooler (lower impedance)?

This is getting esoteric, but I kinda like it.

To the propellerheads like you and me, this would be like asking:

The during the life cycle of the E24 6-series, which two sedan (limousine) chassis architectures were used as the basis of the E24?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the brochure. What else you got in your desk? I'll PM you my address shortly.
Here's what you do for an interesting contest for Thursday and Friday. For hardcore G&L fans only.
George Fullerton published 2 books; the red and the blue. For Thursday's contest pick a sentence in one of the books to be announced on Thursday's lunch report. Quote half of a sentence out of one of those 2 books and the contest winner will complete the sentence as it's written in the book. Friday's lunch report will be the same thing with the other book.
The prizes, how about a whipper snapper? Be a good PR move. But if you're really serious about it, how about something from Leo Fender's desk, like a pen or pencil, and a letter stating it came from there?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

SJG wrote:How bout 92631

Bastid! ;+)

Dave, what did you think of my working charity into the marketing idea (my last post of yesterday)? Thanks - ed

PS: I don't twit, so I can't help you there ;+)

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Since I got some good feedback on the competitions yesterday, let’s keep it going.

How about it, guys? Got some ideas for mini-contests, the sort which could be quick, even impulsive? Bring 'em on!

Here's a few from the peenut gallery:
1. What and when was the first G&L guitar introduced with a trem bar?
2. What G&L guitar first incorporated the fine tuner bridge? When?
3. Who was the first artist, besides Leo, that G&L had a signature guitar named for?
4. What year did the final (current) nipple design protrude from the G&L headstock?
5. When were Leo and Phyllis married?
6. What is significant about the ASAT Super bridge pick up wiring?
7. When you think G&L, what artist first comes to mind? (should be a poll)

Just a few that come to mind for me after travels of late and very little sleep.

Ahh, Olive Garden....is to food what Thomas Kinkade is to great art! :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 pm

SJG wrote:Hey Dave,
Thanks for the brochure. What else you got in your desk? I'll PM you my address shortly.
Here's what you do for an interesting contest for Thursday and Friday. For hardcore G&L fans only.
George Fullerton published 2 books; the red and the blue. For Thursday's contest pick a sentence in one of the books to be announced on Thursday's lunch report. Quote half of a sentence out of one of those 2 books and the contest winner will complete the sentence as it's written in the book. Friday's lunch report will be the same thing with the other book.
The prizes, how about a whipper snapper? Be a good PR move. But if you're really serious about it, how about something from Leo Fender's desk, like a pen or pencil, and a letter stating it came from there?

Eh, I've got assorted bits here and there. This catalog was right there in front of me.

I like the "hardcore fans" angle. The prizes would be small for this kinda thing, but for bigger contests I can see doing an guitar, bass or amp. Couldn't do the amp now because they're not shipping yet. The gestation period is longer than anticipated, even anticipating it would be longer than anticipated. Get that? ;) When we are rolling with the amps, definitely we'll use that as a premium prize, just like we would a USA guitar or bass.

I like those ideas, and thanks for posting 'em!

Dave

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:00 pm

sam wrote:Since I got some good feedback on the competitions yesterday, let’s keep it going.

Here's a few from the peenut gallery:
1. What and when was the first G&L guitar introduced with a trem bar?
2. What G&L guitar first incorporated the fine tuner bridge? When?
3. Who was the first artist, besides Leo, that G&L had a signature guitar named for?
4. What year did the final (current) nipple design protrude from the G&L headstock?
5. When were Leo and Phyllis married?
6. What is significant about the ASAT Super bridge pick up wiring?
7. When you think G&L, what artist first comes to mind? (should be a poll)

Just a few that come to mind for me after travels of late and very little sleep.

Ahh, Olive Garden....is to food what Thomas Kinkade is to great art! :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

That's great stuff, Sam. Some a bit esoteric (hardcore), some pretty "accessible" by casual G&L fans.

My son likes Olive Garden, but he's 10 so what does he know. I got so tired of the bland dishes I got to calling it Olive Garbage. That salad dressing is their thing; it is pretty damned good. It's just that everything that follows is blah.

Dave

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Yo Dave,

Just trying to be an equal opportunity player in the game. :D

So much history and so much all can learn and appreciate about G&L.

Rock on!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:00 pm

sam wrote:Yo Dave,

Just trying to be an equal opportunity player in the game. :D

So much history and so much all can learn and appreciate about G&L.

Rock on!

I'll have what he's having!

- ed

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Darth Invader wrote:
To the propellerheads like you and me, this would be like asking:

The during the life cycle of the E24 6-series, which two sedan (limousine) chassis architectures were used as the basis of the E24?
:shocked028:

You're probably right. I'd have to go to the audience at Roadfly to get the answer to that one though. I know a little about E39's and E28's, not much outside of them. It's not that I don't like the 6's, I've just never had one. I always did dig their predecessor, the 3.0cs though.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 pm

I like the twitter/facebook idea to appeal to the smartphone crowd. You already have giveaways at guitar shows. I wore my G&L shirt to the Dallas Show and Ron Moreno says...here...have a free G&L strap. So tie twitter/facebook/text message to the freebies.

"The next 5 people to come to the G&L booth and says "Blonde ASAT" gets a G&L/BBE goodie."
1st person to send us a picture with them holding their g&l in front of a 1957 chevy wins.
We've hidden a free "something something" near "somewhere"...etc (I've heard of bands giving away backstage passes with twitter)

G&LDP contests are good, because they appeal to the faithful. There have been some great user-driven contest give-aways on the old G&LDP v1.0.

What about a contest for best use of a BBE effect?
I have an idea involving 2 Mindbenders in series, but Will Ray has cautioned me that he's not responsible for what happens. Will mentioned (in theory) it would be like crossing the ghostbuster's proton streams while going 88 miles-per-hour in a flux-capacitor-equipped aluminum car times the square-root of -1 OR ripping all of the big white tags off of all of your couch cushions at the exact same time.

I think I need to go to bed....gaaah!