Lunch Report June 11th, 2014 Writer's Block

Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Lunch: Smoked Chicken Apple Sausages and Clam Chowder. An unlikely, but very tasty "soup and sandwich" combo.

G&L Question: G&L Does "F" type guitars very well and has taken to the next level through innovations and refinements directed by Leo himself. We all appreciate that. One of the reasons I've read that Leo didn't fully support the G-200 was because is was "Too Gibson". As the brand continues to evolve, would you rather see them attempt to cover all electric guitar voicings- like their take on a Les Paul, a Jaguar, a Rickenbacker, etc. or simply stick to the G&L "Leo Fender" cannon.

Non-G&L Question: Work or Music, ever have Writer's Block, or a severe case of procrastination that you just cant shake, no matter how urgent it might be? What did you do to shake loose of it and make progress?

Re: Lunch Report June 11th, 2014 Writer's Block

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Sounds like a tasty lunch ;)

I'll be taking mine at Einstein Bro's Bagels in a little bit (waiting for my laptop to fully charge...).

G&L:
I'd like to see them stick with the George & Leo designs, or riffing on those themes. A G&L Jazzmaster would be a great complement to my JB :luv:

Non-G&L:
Distraction, procrastination, writers block-- YES to all :)
Since I've returned to college after the USAF, I have a ton of writing to do, and very short deadlines. How do I deal with it...? I just muscle through it-- which sometimes leads to really good writing. I find my frustration with writers block tends to produce some of the most rewarding pieces... and some of the worst as well :whome:

I also tend to write more concisely when I'm under strict deadlines-- something I've been trying to do without the deadlines (it's a challenge~)

Procrastination-- it's my Achilles Heel. Haven't figured out a way to deal with this one. Especially with the distractions of the WWW :)

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:06 pm

A hamburger on sliced sweet French bread with mayo and chili sauce.

To me the early G&L's seem to split with parts evolving and regressing and I do not think of them as entirely innovative or refined.

I think it would be a mistake attempting to cover all of the other bases. Just stick with a few ideas and do them well. I seriously don't believe G&L is up on consistency so I'd prefer they improve existing products before venturing elsewhere.

Writer's block... takes many forms and each can require a different resolution but sometimes the same thing can work. At the root of it is frequently a depression. That can either come from circumstances or health/diet/rest. The best thing I can do is to ride the wave when one comes by. I am usually better off expressing the inspiration than undermining it with practical considerations. The latter can mess up your natural inclination to be creative if it develops into a routine. YMMV.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Lunch today was an egg sandwich, adzuki beans, cauliflower and groat oats.

GL Question: I think I’m stuck on playing on 25 ½ scale so depending on what the offering would be, scale would be the first criteria for me. I’ve always like the E335 look. I have Peerless Songbird and even though I found the playing somewhat “tight” on the fretboard, I’ve always wanted more of this style. Once I started on 25 ½, I hardly pick up the Songbird. For me, I have more G&Ls to try out so I’m happy with their current lineup. Don’t spread yourself to thin, be excellent at what you’ve got. Just waiting on the Fallout’s neck options to open up.

Writers Block: I have it all the time. I can’t sit down and write a song. I accept that. When I don’t try to write songs, they end up getting written. They just happen, usually when I’m practicing something else.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Well writer's block and procrastination shows up for me in way more places than it does in my music...

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:49 pm

More to add:

I need structure to ground and contain me. I need a time limit otherwise I just vaporize.

I tend to get creative ideas when I am committed to a practical task. The focus, motion toward resolution and accomplishment pull me out of my head or into my head depending on how you think of it.

I also feel inspired to do something creative when I have some duty awaiting me that allows no time to pursue it. If I have an appointment I will have a desire to do something creative.

Walking helps many people switch mental gears. Even though it is physical it is not engaging enough to me. Yet, driving is an activity where I can develop ideas probably because it is engaging.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:22 am

I don't know what I will have for lunch today; Maybe a Five Guys Bacon burger with Fries and a Large Lemonade!

I just bought a very used G&L Z-3. Its on layaway at GC and it has a Blue Swirl finish which has seen better days and a gun oil tint maple neck. I realized after completing the deal that I neglected to take any pictures of the guitar! DOH!!

I am playing a regular gig every Monday night in Alexandria VA. with my blues band: Capital Blues Ensemble.

We have been doing this since December and I can tell you its been a great way to get the band very tight. Its almost like we have a paid practice night.

OK - writers block- do something unusual. Like ride a bike if its unusual to you or go swimming at a new place and try to give your brain a new experience.

G&L should reissue the G-200 jut so that we can all try one of these guitars and see why they are so great.
I don't know about trying to do a Rickenbacker or Gretch design. I think G&L should stay close to their core models and improve what they already do.

-bassman Bill