Ist May Buying, selling

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:07 pm

I was reading Kens post about his awesome new Music Man Stingray.
As you know he offered a F- 100 up for a very fair price here with no takers.
Not the best model G&L ever made but certainly Kens was one of the best examples.
So Ken choose to trade and I'm guessing didn't get too much but it was an easy transaction. And there is a lot to be said about a quick, easy transaction .
So the other way to move guitars is a zero start auction on Ebay, you will probably sell it for more than a trade but it's a buyers market.

And then there is the Buy it now option . Apologies if these guitar 's are anyone's here but there are 2 guitars currently on Ebay . A black Interceptor for $ 15K and an '87 ASAT for $5K. Seriously , they are not wanting to sell or are not emotionally ready to let their guitar go .

Maybe they have the one guitar in and one out policy .
I can see them now Honey , it's on Ebay and I can't understand why no one buys it .
Yeah I was married once too.
All the best .

Re: Ist May Buying, selling

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:57 pm

I didn't do badly on the trade, but it was with an independent shop that I do a lot of business with and can count on a fair deal from. I also made the difference up on the other end of the deal, that is, by getting a very good purchase price on the 'Ray.

That same shop is the only place I've traded G&Ls, which so far have been a John Jorgenson Signature ASAT for a '63 Ampeg B-15 and a '98 ASAT Classic and some pedals for a mid-90s ASAT Classic Custom. I did consider trading the '98 ASAT Classic at Guitar Center a couple of years ago, but in that case their offer (something like $200 IIRC) was insulting and I ended up walking out of the store.

I've bought a few basses in the past year through the classifieds on TalkBass.com. All of those transactions were wonderful. TalkBass is much larger than G&LDP, but it can have a similar vibe with a lot of regular participants. I actually had one seller decline a trade I offered, on the basis that I could most likely get a better deal by selling my bass outright and using the proceeds to buy his. I thought that was very decent.

I've had the same feeling about some of the eBay Buy it Now listings. There are a few that have been up for a year or more, and are just slightly above what would be a reasonable price for the instruments. On the other hand, there are also those listings at 5-10 times their market value. I've always shared your opinion that those sellers do not want a sale.

If anybody wanted my F-100 and regrets having missed out on it, it should be on Atomic Music's eBay store in about three weeks (Maryland had a mandatory 30-day hold period). I think they will have it listed for about $50 more than I did.

Ken

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:49 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:I was reading Kens post about his awesome new Music Man Stingray.
As you know he offered a F- 100 up for a very fair price here with no takers.
Not the best model G&L ever made but certainly Kens was one of the best examples.
So Ken choose to trade and I'm guessing didn't get too much but it was an easy transaction. And there is a lot to be said about a quick, easy transaction .
So the other way to move guitars is a zero start auction on Ebay, you will probably sell it for more than a trade but it's a buyers market.

And then there is the Buy it now option . Apologies if these guitar 's are anyone's here but there are 2 guitars currently on Ebay . A black Interceptor for $ 15K and an '87 ASAT for $5K. Seriously , they are not wanting to sell or are not emotionally ready to let their guitar go .

Maybe they have the one guitar in and one out policy .
I can see them now Honey , it's on Ebay and I can't understand why no one buys it .
Yeah I was married once too.
All the best .

Don't keep us in suspense. "What the heck" did you have for lunch??!!
btw, thanks for posting a L/R. Much appreciated! - ed

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 pm

KenC wrote:I didn't do badly on the trade, but it was with an independent shop that I do a lot of business with and can count on a fair deal from. I also made the difference up on the other end of the deal, that is, by getting a very good purchase price on the 'Ray.

That same shop is the only place I've traded G&Ls, which so far have been a John Jorgenson Signature ASAT for a '63 Ampeg B-15 and a '98 ASAT Classic and some pedals for a mid-90s ASAT Classic Custom. I did consider trading the '98 ASAT Classic at Guitar Center a couple of years ago, but in that case their offer (something like $200 IIRC) was insulting and I ended up walking out of the store.

I've bought a few basses in the past year through the classifieds on TalkBass.com. All of those transactions were wonderful. TalkBass is much larger than G&LDP, but it can have a similar vibe with a lot of regular participants. I actually had one seller decline a trade I offered, on the basis that I could most likely get a better deal by selling my bass outright and using the proceeds to buy his. I thought that was very decent.

I've had the same feeling about some of the eBay Buy it Now listings. There are a few that have been up for a year or more, and are just slightly above what would be a reasonable price for the instruments. On the other hand, there are also those listings at 5-10 times their market value. I've always shared your opinion that those sellers do not want a sale.

If anybody wanted my F-100 and regrets having missed out on it, it should be on Atomic Music's eBay store in about three weeks (Maryland had a mandatory 30-day hold period). I think they will have it listed for about $50 more than I did.

Ken

I've never been to Atomic Music, but my brother lives out near there (in Gambrills) and frequents that store. He loves that place and I think there web site is a great place to look at gear. - ed

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Hey Ed,
Thanks but I didn't eat lunch because I'm saving my bucks for expensive G&L's . Haha