LR 3-19-2014

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:35 am

Yesterday's lunch was a spinach salad my wife made and topped with leftover mexican mole chicken. She made the chicken with Rick Bayliss' mole sauce. He's an amazing chef and his sauces (packages) are terrific. It was awesome.

I'll soon be going on a long trip, will be away from home for 6+ weeks.

Yesterday afternoon, I had some time so I prepared my guitars by cleaning, tuning, etc and then 1 by one, I played them and then put them into their cases and hid them away. My house is for sale so if there is any showings while we are gone, I want them outta site, outta mind.

As I was playing them I realized just how lucky I am to have 5 terrific guitars right now at home.

I played them in this order,

Breedlove acoustic - had a bad fret around fret 15 on the high e-string. fret 15 sounds the same played on 14, 13, 12, 11, so I must have a ski bump in that fret, or its popped out. Will check it when I get back

Heritage 535, my number 2 favourite after yesterday, low action, smooth, easy to play, great guitar.

Heritage 150, Les Paul. This guitar is a beast, weighs over 10 pounds, growling pups, AWESOME, only complaint is the neck feels cramped, have to measure.

G&L ASAT Special, taking me a few years but am liking this guitar more and more, great sounds.

G&L ASAT Bluesboy, semi hollow. 2008 model, and my first really nice guitar and right now my favourite again. WOW this baby plays easy, sounds great, love the neck, love the bridge.......

Anyway, I could go on, but question is, do you do this, go thru them all (other than Darwin who has too many) and change your feelings about them going forward?

What do you do to store them when you are away? Anything special?

Re: LR 3-19-2014

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:52 am

astutzmann wrote:Anyway, I could go on, but question is, do you do this, go thru them all (other than Darwin who has too many) and change your feelings about them going forward?

I usually have several guitars and basses close at hand. I rotate the ones that are out every couple of months, but I find myself circling back around to a couple of favorites again and again. The current go-to guitars are the blue SC-3 in my avatar, an '86 ASAT with a Kahler, and for the past week an '84 Cavalier. The one guitar that doesn't rotate in and out is an SC-1. That is always ready to be played on a moment's notice. Over the long term, my '98 ASAT Classic pops up to the top of my list a couple of times a year.

I think it's time for another rotation tonight. Tomorrow I'll probably have a new favorite (again).

Ken

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 pm

I keep five G&L's out if we don't have any grand kids over , right now I have two G&L's out , a LP copy and a Ibanez Mikro since I have the grandkids visiting from Alaska ..... they all seem like my favorite when I'm playing but like Ken my 1998 ASAT Classic seems to be the "mark" that the others are compared too , if that makes sense ? ..... just rotated my S 500 out for the Comanche

storing while rotated out I just keep in the case , empty cases go out in the garage (attached garage so it makes it easy )

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm

I keep several out at any given time, usually one of each 'flavor". For G&L's, they all get rotated pretty equally yet I usually end up with the Savanna B90 lately. For my guitar that seems to stay out more than most, it's my baby...

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 am

astutzmann wrote:
Anyway, I could go on, but question is, do you do this, go thru them all (other than Darwin who has too many) and change your feelings about them going forward?

My Skyhawk has been getting a lot of playing time this year, I need to dust off a couple others that I think of daily...that Skyhawk is just so perfect for me ATM. The strings are getting old and it still sounds stellar (these TI's last forever!!).

A few that are on deck:
The sparkle green Mosrite , most liquid vibrato ever ...that bridge assembly looks like it was made by aliens.
The Cherryburst L-2000 , just an amazing beast .
Fretless BassStar (that's right ,3 S's ) with a Modulus graphite neck...that will probably lead to playing the fretless L-2000 :crazy:
A '72 SG that is almost back to life. I installed some Nitrous Injection under the hood (an Alembic Stratoblaster booster), fun,fun,fun :D .

When I travel I take the Silvertone (1448) small scale . I can play it in the driver's seat on the ferry without rolling down the window for the headstock . If you touch the headstock to the window it makes for a nice audible acoustic tone to play with.

elwood

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:17 am

jeffmarshall67 wrote:I keep several out at any given time, usually one of each 'flavor". For G&L's, they all get rotated pretty equally yet I usually end up with the Savanna B90 lately. For my guitar that seems to stay out more than most, it's my baby...

Is that a TRINI LOPEZ model?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 am

suave eddie wrote:
jeffmarshall67 wrote:I keep several out at any given time, usually one of each 'flavor". For G&L's, they all get rotated pretty equally yet I usually end up with the Savanna B90 lately. For my guitar that seems to stay out more than most, it's my baby...

Is that a TRINI LOPEZ model?

It's a 68 Barney Kessel Custom

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

I have acquired a few guitars over the last year or so and while the latest acquisition usually is around, I seem to go to a few old standbys.

Who knows what will be next? :shocked028:

As a general rule they go back in cases when not played, and strings changes are when played a lot, or a compulsive sense of responsibility (or guilt) to change strings on all guitars even if not played for many months.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Great post A,
I keep mine in their cases when I don't play them. But I do believe all guitars should be played , this is a real problem with mint guitars.But as the custodian of these fine things it is a duty to look after them and play the life out of them. I just had this vision of you stashing your guitars behind the bookshelf that opens up into a secret room . Very James Bond. Hahaha.

As for order of preference ,guitars like with some people the relationship grows deeper and you like them more with time.
However, I find the guitars I like the most are the ones as soon as I played the first night I just had a feeling like this is the one .

But if you can you should have a guitar for every occasion.

A

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:42 pm

That's a sweet ASAT, Sam. I'd love one just like it to match the Legacy in my avatar which, coincidentally, is the Guitar Of The Month in my house.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 am

Your TI's are like the emperor's clothes Elwood! No wonder they last so long. :o Is that natural over ash? It has aged wonderfully.

Beautiful guitars gentleman! :happy0065: :happy0065:

I have two places so I have weekend rotation and weekday rotation. And storage is always a problem. My main house is historic. They didn't put any dang closets in them back then - people didn't own anything. We have too much stuff nowadays. ;)

My main squeeze weekdays is a custom homebrew, 24 fret, 25in scale, H-S-H with nifty switching options-any coil any combo. And my Taylor acoustic. Weekend squeeze is my Legacy, Dimarzio pups with Clapton boost. Special switching for active/passive.

Fun hobby we have. :mrgreen:

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 am

fianoman wrote:Your TI's are like the emperor's clothes Elwood! No wonder they last so long. :o Is that natural over ash? It has aged wonderfully.

LOL... "Ripple , where no stone is thrown" ...comes to mind.
Yes natural over some awesome Ash.

fianoman wrote:Fun hobby we have. :mrgreen:

You said it!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:57 am

Elwood- I dig your old Fender Rhodes Piano. It appears to be a 1968 with the sparkle fiberglass top. Very cool.

I like your ASH S-500 too.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:11 am

bassman wrote:Elwood- I dig your old Fender Rhodes Piano. It appears to be a 1968 with the sparkle fiberglass top. Very cool.

Thanks , I got the rhodes sounding good , even though it's a 'student model' . One key at a time I adjust the pickup distance and tine 'yaw' .The low keys have that classic growl.

It's one of those with the space age pedestal. Sparkle would be cool, like the old bass rhodes models. I think the camera must be catching dust , it's a sort of satin avocado , in true '68 fashion :thumbup: .

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Your Rhodes looks amazing, I never met one like that! Just regular stage / suitcase jobs.
And the work you have done, dialing it in, is a semi-lost skill itself; an absorbing, patience-inducing (not much choice about that bit) concentrated process, and the rewards are well worth it.
Nice!!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

NickHorne wrote:Your Rhodes looks amazing, I never met one like that! Just regular stage / suitcase jobs.
And the work you have done, dialing it in, is a semi-lost skill itself; an absorbing, patience-inducing (not much choice about that bit) concentrated process, and the rewards are well worth it.
Nice!!

Thanks Nick,
I'm hearing a fretless G&L( see what I did there :roll: ) with the rhodes for a new track .
I'll post it here when it's somewhat finished.

elwood

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Elwood wrote:
bassman wrote:Elwood- I dig your old Fender Rhodes Piano. It appears to be a 1968 with the sparkle fiberglass top. Very cool.

It's one of those with the space age pedestal.

I think I saw Elroy playing that bad boy in one of the Jetsons episodes. :D :D

Love that pedestal, never saw one like that before. Bound for a museum somewhere, someday!

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:13 pm

Elwood wrote:
astutzmann wrote:

My Skyhawk has been getting a lot of playing time this year, I need to dust off a couple others that I think of daily...that Skyhawk is just so perfect for me ATM. The strings are getting old and it still sounds stellar (these TI's last forever!!).

A few that are on deck:
The sparkle green Mosrite , most liquid vibrato ever ...that bridge assembly looks like it was made by aliens.
The Cherryburst L-2000 , just an amazing beast .
Fretless BassStar (that's right ,3 S's ) with a Modulus graphite neck...that will probably lead to playing the fretless L-2000 :crazy:
A '72 SG that is almost back to life. I installed some Nitrous Injection under the hood (an Alembic Stratoblaster booster), fun,fun,fun :D .

When I travel I take the Silvertone (1448) small scale . I can play it in the driver's seat on the ferry without rolling down the window for the headstock . If you touch the headstock to the window it makes for a nice audible acoustic tone to play with.

elwood

That is such a beautiful photograph (and G&L guitar), Elwood. Wow!

Harder to get my mind around "Nitrous Injection" and "Stratoblaster booster." But it does remind me a bit of college, if that helps. ;+)
- ed

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Today we see a minor harmonic convergence with both you and ledergeist showing up , I think that's a good omen :lol:

Maybe someday we can jam with my 'hawk and your sunny Legacy :thumbup:

Here's a link in case you were curious about the booster-
http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/blaster.html

'till soon,
elwood