View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Friday, 28 Feb 2014 Lunch Report 

Post Friday, 28 Feb 2014 Lunch Report
Well the last day of February lunch report today is early today because I’m feeling a little under the weather. Lunch today will probably be some soup followed by a course of ibuprofen.

I like to fly my G&L freak flag and there’s no better way to do it than with a bit of swag. Here are a few G&L items that I picked up in the past. The sweatshirt is nice with a subtle logo. The logo on the front of the t-shirt front pales in comparison to the bomber girl on the back.

Image Image

Image Image

Do you like swag and is there anything you’d like to see offered in the G&L store? I’d like a ball cap, a t-shirts with guitars on them (ASAT, S-500, L-2000, etc), and another coffee mug, but this time I want it to be a macho tankard like this Martin Owners Club example. The G&L mug just doesn’t hold enough java.

And while I’m here asking for a cool new G&L coffee mug, I am politely asking G&L to seriously consider using the MFD humbucker on models where PAF buckers are used such as the ASAT Deluxe and ASAT Classic BB as well as creating new models such as an S-500 HB , Comanche HB, and ASAT Z-3 HB. Add a coil splitter switch to these and I’ll not only be first in line for one (or three), but I’ll do a lunch report about them and add them to my website and FB page. You did it with GbL LE 2 (a Fallout with MFDs) so we know it can be done. Let’s keep the MFD fires burning and thanks for your consideration!!

Final thought for the week – Leo Fender Signature series, yea or nay? Are they just ASATs and L-2000s with lipstick, an interesting footnote in G&L history, or something totally unique that will never happen again and, therefore, desirable/collectible? To me, they are historically interesting, but I don’t consider them better or more collectible than any other G&L from that era.

Thanks for playing along this week and have a great weekend.

GG

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:46 am

Post Re: Friday, 28 Feb 2014 Lunch Report
Greg, hope you are feeling better soon.

I was supposed to get a t-shirt from the rep here but I know that he forgot. I would proudly wear it!!!!

What a collection of signature models! Wow. Unfortunately i wasn't even aware of G&L until 5 years ago, much to late to get in on the signature action. I have to believe between you and Jos, pretty much everything is covered and Ken is in there with the basses. Thanks for the fun week. -- Darwin

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:42 am

Dang! Are all those your guitars?? Some beauties in there.

Lunch – I don't get enough eggs in my diet so today I had scrambles with cheese and sautéed sweet peppers. Side-o-fresh fruit.

Swag? Yes, by all means. Caps, tees, etc. Take a look at Taylor's store. They have a bunch of stuff. And I have a bunch of their stuff.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorwar ... ens-shirts

I don't think my wife would let me wear the bomber girl having fun with the horn t-shirt around town :mad0025: – so maybe some other designs.

I suggest G&L pick up the creativity with the graphics though. They seem a little stale, or dated maybe. Have some conservative and some "far out man!" stuff for the freak flag flyers. :rolleyes: You can do some cool stuff with guitar art, new slogans "G&L – George and Leo approved!", "made in Fullerton – the birthplace of rock 'n roll machines", different logo concepts, etc. Maybe even have a GBL forum design contest – awarding the winner a new guitar (of their choice of course)! :happy0007:

As far as new models, Leo was certainly up for trying new things so yes, more new configurations. I seem to prefer the s-type designs so something with jumbo MFD's there. Or some short scale models with jumbo MFD's, or a baritone with jumbo MFD's (is there a theme there?). :whome:

Hey Greg – hope you feel better. I won't give you my regimen for fighting cold's etc. lest you think I am as crazy as my wife does but go get some airborne and zinc and hit it hard for a day or two. Thanks for the LR's

Ciao!
Ric

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:54 am

Hey Greg,
Sorry to hear you are unwell.
Thanks for the week, I think you have added some life into this forum and hopefully some others will step up too.
I am looking forward to the book that you and Gabe are writing. It will be sure to go down in history as one of the greats.

I think the signature models would be collectible if Leo had actually signed them and not just a stamp.
What really shows to me is how plain the clear finish has become, well compared to the cherry red sunburst of the Commerative model

As for swag.

I absolutely agree with this quote from Flanoman. "I suggest G&L pick up the creativity with the graphics though. They seem a little stale, or dated maybe."
I personally love the Bomber woman .
Thanks again and all the best.
Anthony

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Greg,

It's been a great week. Thanks for stepping in. I was too busy to participate as much as I would have liked to, but I enjoyed reading everything.

GGJaguar wrote:
Do you like swag and is there anything you’d like to see offered in the G&L store?

I don't have any G&L swag, and nothing that's been in the on-line store recently has appealed to me. I would absolutely buy a ball cap as long as it fit my abnormally large head. I'm lucky if I can find a new cap before the last one completely wears out, so if G&L offered one that fit I would buy a case of them! I don't know that I'd want to see any new marketing themes, but it would be great if they dusted off "The Real Ones!" and "mass production is for soda pop and automobiles" campaigns for some swag.

I have been very tempted to order Moog swag. They really know how to make nice clothing and merchandise:

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/Clothing

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/Merch

A G&L coffee cup would be nice, but a set of pint glasses and coasters would be even nicer!

I see a lot of really nice PRS logo clothing around town, but it may just be what the employees at the factory wear to work.

GGJaguar wrote:
Final thought for the week – Leo Fender Signature series, yea or nay?

Although I've just fallen in love with an ASAT Signature Bass this afternoon, I will admit that they are "just" regular production G&Ls with a decal added on. If you haven't read my NBD post, here's a taste of the new arrival (photo by the previous owner):

I'm really curious about the dates on this bass. The body is from March '91, but the neck is from Nov '92 - a full six months after the signature series ended. It's not marked as a replacement neck, and the since previous owner bought it new from a dealer I doubt it's an employee instrument. Did Signature models still ship out from the factory after the series officially ended in May '92?

Ken

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Fun week Greg, some sweet pictures and history.

My only G&L swag is a couple of t-shirts, a sticker, and I picked up a "G&L Sales and Service" round sign on ebay a while back, no picture available to post. I dig your sweatshirt, and the bomber girl shirts rule! I like swag and should get more. Maybe we will see some new shirt designs, bumper stickers, a tie for dressy occasions, mouse pads, or how about a G&L (BBE) branded pedal board?

Gotta say I am a signature fan. I think it is a unique brand for a specific time, and they do look cool. 8-) Whether they are collectible or not, that all depends on the buyer. The signature is always mentioned when they are liste for sale so it does separate them from the standard issues. As a general rule I don't think they are a better build or necessarily sound better. Of my two below, the black alder feels and plays fine but no special magic, (crappy pic) however the triple bound does have a special sound to it.

Image Image

Yes, keep those MFD fires burning and get to feeling better!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Greg,

I found your lunch reports this week to be very interesting and entertaining. I loved the tidbits of information. Thank you!

G&L should promote the MFD's as standalone parts available for any guitar like other pickups are promoted. They are a viable alternative to the array of tones on the market. Let's see them installed in other brands.

I also want a hefty coffee mug, a BLACK baseball cap with G&L and each model off the main roster (i.e. ASAT, Legacy, S-500. Comanche, WR, etc.) Did I mention black? Yes, the color that demands you stop and take notice B L A C K black black! A black G&L duffel bag would be nice as well. Also a high quality G&L coffee thermos in black. I'll take a nice G&L license plate frame as well. T-Shirt? Nope. Golf shirt in black? Yes. Bumper stickers are a NO GO period but a nice window decal is worthy of consideration.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:26 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:
I personally love the Bomber woman .
Anthony

I like the graphic too but just because of my particular situation, it wouldn't be a good 'fit' for me to wear out and about. Be proud to wear some other G&L stuff though. :)

Some good ideas in this thread. G&L needs to make the connection to Leo more obvious, I think. Many of us here know of it but the average player does not. I would venture that most of the members of GBL are guitar fanatics and have a fairly good base of guitar history. Many people don't have that knowledge but they certain know his name and once that light bulb goes on, they will be looking for their first G&L. That light bulb is through exposure such as swag, marketing and distribution. Get those Tributes to new dealers. One in my area would be cool! :banana:

Yes, promote those MFD's. Totally unique product. Maybe some t-shirts with MFD graphics "I gotta pair of jumbo MFD's from Leo Fender". :shocked003:

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:19 am

I'm a little late to the party this week but I think the reports were great ! There was a lot of interesting information. That's quite a collection of G&L's you have there. I would definitely buy G&L swag if there was was something tempting. How about some reproductions of some of those 8x10 " Leo with the guitars " ad's I'm sure you guys know which one I'm talking about, you see them for sale on ebay sometimes. I would buy a poster size one to put in my guitar room for sure. I agree that G&L really need to push the George and Leo connection hard. Salmon's idea of selling MFD pick ups on their own is a great idea too. MFD is G&L after all, ( ironic, since the next G&L I would like to buy is a Fallout )

P.S. I am also fond of the bomber girl, she's a keeper.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:38 am
Site Admin

Salmon wrote:
G&L should promote the MFD's as standalone parts available for any guitar like other pickups are promoted. They are a viable alternative to the array of tones on the market. Let's see them installed in other brands.

They are available from the G&L On-Line Store: Original equipment G&L pickups..

But, of course, they work best in G&L bodies. ;) :lol:

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:53 am
Profile WWW

That is one great looking collection GG!

More ASATS than I have every seen in one place.

I want to try out an ASAT bass!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]