Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 Lunch Report

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 am

Lunch today will be a spinach and cheese omelette. Eggs aren’t just for breakfast.

So today, I thought I’d share a little of the research going into the G&L book that Gabe Dellevigne and I are working on. It’s this kind of detail, among other things, that is making for a lot of work. I wish I knew when it will be finished, but when it is, it will be great.

Many bassists seem to think that the L-1000 and L-2000 basses fitted with slot-head pole piece pickups were the best sounding. Others thinks the large allen head L-1000s from 1980 are best. As a quick aside, I have played fabulous sounding basses that use large allen head, slot head and small allen head pole pieces as well as examples of each type that were “won’t kick it out of the house” good, but not mind-blowing. With that said, here’s a peek at what’s going on with those pole pieces.

Shown here is a large allen head slug from 1980 and a slot head slug from 1981. The differences are quite obvious. The slot head is has more mass (it’s bigger!) compared to the large allen head.

Shown here are the pickups themselves. Note that the large allen head pickup is threaded to the top while the slot head pickup is note. The slot head pole piece will not fit in the large allen head pickup, but the allen head slug will fit in the slot head pickup.

ImageImage

So do the pole pieces affect the sound of the bass? Maybe. I swapped large allen head pole pieces into the slot head pickup. For this particular bass, the difference was subtle. The slot head slugs seemed (no science here) to have a bit stronger attack (punch). But again, no science here, just seat-of-the-pants. I probably would fail a blind taste test.

Now, some of you may be thinking “Hey, the vast majority of G&L basses use small allen head pole pieces. What about those?” Good question. Amazingly, they are exactly like the slot-head slugs, but with a small allen head. Same length, same unthreaded shoulder, and perhaps they have a little more mass since the small allen key removes less metal from the slug compared to a slot head. So one would think they would sound the same as a slot-head. So, I substituted small allen head poles in a slot-head pickup and couldn’t really tell a difference in sound.

Nitty gritty details are fun, but with tone it all comes down to this – an instrument’s voice is derived from the sum of its parts. You really have to a judge each bass or guitar individually. I have stellar examples of the same model (guitar or bass) with different woods, different pole pieces, etc. I simply can’t say maple is better than ash, or slot heads are better than allen heads.

As usual, YMMV as everyone has their own preferences (aesthetic or perceived) which are completely valid.

GG

Re: Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 Lunch Report

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:57 am

Awesome info Greg ,
Nuances like this come into play when the fingers and ears become sensitive to the sonic possibilities.
We all know learning how to bring out those nuances is part of the journey ...it's good to have deep horizons to explore.

That little extra punch :fighting0030: might not always be obvious with all players/amps/rooms , but when it does...
you gotta thank the guys who designed those cool little slugs. :banana:
Any insight as to why the changes from Leo and Georges POV? (flatheads weren't 'modern', or the screwdriver could slip and scratch the finish :shocked003: , ...)

Thanks for taking the stage this week !
elwood

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Greg, it is interesting that the slotted were replaced by hex. It makes sense as hex is easier to adjust. I also agree the sonic difference would be minimal. The sum of all parts in a guitar determine it tone. I had a chance to play a Tussert steel body T type yesterday. I was surprised by the dull tone and lack of sustain. It may be a different animal plugged in. Lunch was a bowl of Chicken Noodle soup on the run. A busy day here.-- Darwin

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Very cool information Ken, from a guy who sold his only bass (Gibson hollow body) in1981, so my bass days are foggy. Maybe I need to go bass shopping and compare these pole pieces! 8-)

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 am

Hi Greg,

I remember hearing that there was some phenomenon that occurred when slot head pole pieces were used in pickups. Something happened when you oriented all of the slots in one direction and to counter this you should vary the orientations.
This was so unique a condition that Leo took out a patent on it.

This was discussed on this board at one time. Am I crazy or is this the truth?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:38 am

bassman wrote:Hi Greg,

I remember hearing that there was some phenomenon that occurred when slot head pole pieces were used in pickups. Something happened when you oriented all of the slots in one direction and to counter this you should vary the orientations.
This was so unique a condition that Leo took out a patent on it.

This was discussed on this board at one time. Am I crazy or is this the truth?

See patent D4686881.

:ugeek:

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Craig wrote:
bassman wrote:See patent D4686881.

So it wasn't just for string proximity, I've never explored this fully.
I think I have a slotted head F-100, gonna have to see if I can hear a change from position 1(parallel) to postion 2 (perpendicular)

So bassman, you aren't crazy !! :banana: :crazy: :banana: 8-)