Monday, 24 Feb 2014 Lunch Report

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 am

Lunch today will be leftover pizza. Oh well, on to today’s lesson…

So, everyone is probably familiar with the serial number schemes that G&L has used over the years, but I just realized that there was a recent, yet subtle change. When the serial number moved from the headstock decal to the current headstock plate, a zero (0) was added to the number as a place holder for the time when serials reach 100,000 (wow!). The decal serial numbers do not have this. As we know, the use of the headstock plates begin with CLF061000, but where it gets fun (for me, but I’m a research guy) is that decals are still occasionally used, most notably for Alley Cat Music’s “ASAT Cat” series of guitars based on the ASAT Special, ASAT S.H. and ASAT Special Deluxe. There might be some confusion since there can be some duplication (technically it’s not due to the extra “0”), but it’s easy to remember if you take notice of the decal location, i.e. – decal vs. headstock plate. Thus end’s today’s lesson.

And speaking of the ASAT Cat – I like the idea of this pickup configuration. The S-500 middle pickup is smaller than an ASAT pickup (as on the ASAT S-3 and Trinity) making it easier to work around while getting the additional tonal palette of a 3-pu guitar. Plus, I much prefer MFD pickups which is the heart of G&L, IMHO. I have no interest in G&L’s non-MFD models, but I completely understand the marketing need for such models. I wish G&L would give more consideration to using other MFD combinations and not going with alnico as the only alternative (grumpy old man rant - off). And so, I present the ASAT Cat – this one based on the ASAT Special Deluxe with Okoume body and a decal instead of an ugly serial number plate (sorry, I love G&L, but the plate is ugly).

And as a final note, Gabe and I recently submitted an article about the G&L S-500 to Vintage Guitar Magazine. We’re waiting to hear back if they’ll accept it as is or with edits. We’ll keep you posted.

GG

Re: Monday, 24 Feb 2014 Lunch Report

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Howdy GG,

Thanks for the LR today, needed a GLDP re-fuel. Yep, gotta say I am not really a fan of the plate, not a deal killer but aesthically not my choice. The ASAT Cat is an interesting design, I saw one, or one like it, on CLIST or TDPRI recently, but I am a two pickup guy. Got a Z3 to cover my three pup hankerings. The smaller S500 middle pup could convert those who say the middle pup on Trinity or Z3 gets in their way.

Hope yer Vintage Guitar Magazine article makes it through the editors, let us know :alright:

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Greg, nice Asat Cat. I do like them and find it interesting that they are able to get the waterslide decal. The microwave plate is anything but flattering and is a cheap looking plate on a class guitar. At one time I thought it would be a show stopper for me but I now have six of them so I have apparently gotten used to them. G&L is really a MFD guitar but I really like the Alnicos used on the Asats. I am glad they finally offered P90s and may go for a Fallout at some point in time. Thanks for the LR and good luck on the article.-- Darwin

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 pm

I really, really, really dislike the look of the metal tags. To me it runs against the whole "mass production is for soda pop and automobiles" ad campaign of the not-so-distant past. I haven't been close to ordering a new G&L yet, but every time I think about possible builds the thought of having that piece of metal on the headstock comes to mind. If I do go for a custom order at some point, I will make the waterslide decal non-negotiable.

For now I'll wait patiently with my net for a certain maple L-1K to be released back into the wild...

Ken

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:24 pm

That Asat cat doesn't do it for me. The middle pick up just looks wrong . I could live without the plate but it is not a deal killer for me. My SC-2 and S-500 cover me fairly well for MFD pickups. A Fallout would be my next choice for a G&L, as that pick up combo really appeals to me.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm

The Cat is cool but there are other G&L's I would want first ...... the neck plate is not a deal breaker , but it sure seems easy to change the plate if you neck swap'd , not sure if I like that idea too much when buying used ..... I do like MFD's but my Legacy alnico's sounds beautiful through my 1976 Fender Super Reverb , the Legacy is probably my second sound choice behind my 1998 ASAT Classic , so my hat's off to Paul Gagon , "the Gagonator" , out of 6 MFD's against one alnico he came in second but beat out five others ... strictly my opinion at the moment and I do change my mind from time to time

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I wonder how balanced the Alley Cat pickups are in the in-between positions with two large MFD's and one smaller in the middle. The look with the two larger and one small MFD doesn't bother me but I don't think the large MFD's look as good on the Special Deluxe models. Without the pickguard the body reminds me of a plank of wood with pickups. I wonder what a Special Deluxe would look like with body binding. I like the way an S-500 sounds just enough like a traditional Strat but still different. The in-between positions on a Strat can sound wimpy but not on my S-500. I have an ASAT Special. I prefer all of the positions in the S-500 and it has the PTB system. I would get another S-500 before an Alley Cat.

I'd like to see G&L produce an ASAT with the same MFD used in the neck used at the bridge as well. Maybe they have spec-wise. It is just an idea of what I like in the neck pickup also being translated to the bridge position. When it comes to practical application it may take a different pickup to render the effect.

I'd also like to see G&L produce an MFD P90. They produced an MFD humbucker. Maybe they have produced an MFD P90. Reading the specs I did not get the impression that the Bluesby P90 was an MFD if it is. Has there ever been a G&L MFD P90?

I prefer the MFD's in my Classic, S-500 and Special over the Alnicos in my Legacy but the actual tone is fine in the Legacy. Like a traditional Strat the Legacy can sound wimpy at times. I prefer the clarity, sensitivity and power of the MFD's.

The serial number plate is something to ignore on the newer G&L's. The thing is so thick. At least it coincides with G&L's adoption of chronological numbering. However, it is a wart on the LE 2 with the dark roasted maple coloring. Seeing that the option was available as demonstrated in the Alley Cat they should have gone with a decal on those.

Too many people believe aesthetics is relative and subjective. Just like art should be approached in a touchy feely moody state of mind rather than like a concrete skill to develop and call upon at will. The ancient Greeks understood how there is geometry in aesthetics. There are rules and formulas.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:26 am

Hey GG,

Good Luck with the Vintage Guitar article! I will certainly keep my eyes peeled...

The MFD's are what keeps me buying G&L's. Out of 13, there is only one lone legacy. As you can guess it doesn't get much play timel lol

The ASAT cat doesn't do it for me, there is something off throwing that s-500 pickup in the middle imo. I'm sure it sounds killer however.

Scott

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:51 am

The ASAT Cat floats my boat, but I'd rather have it with a PG and Semi-Hollow. I wonder how it would compare to my Classic S/SH.

The plate thing doesn't bother me at all, I always thought decal looked cheap. Plus, I don't look at it so often.

thanks for the report GG.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:22 am

GG,

Thanks for the LR, and I'll be keeping an eye out to see if you get the S-500 article in Vintage Guitar. I hope you do. Congrats also on being a new ASAT Cat owner. I love mine.

Serial number plate:
Like many others I'm not crazy about the SN plate, but everything else about a G&L outweighs that aspect. Being a lefty, and liking to choose my own colors and options, I've taken myself out of the used-G&L market. The waterslide decal was icing on the cake for me when I bought my ASAT Cat.

ASAT Cat Pickups:
The middle pickup balances very well with the two jumbo MFDs. I typically play mine in the neck/middle position when I'm playing more traditional blues rhythm parts, and I switch it to bridge/middle when I go to a lead. Keep in mind that the electronic innards of the ASAT Cat are different than an ASAT Special, so even when the middle pickup is out of the picture (as it is for me when I'm playing more cutting rock leads), the jumbo MFDs aren't quite the same as they would be on an ASAT Special. I don't own a Special, so I can't compare it for myself, but my understanding is that the Cat's electronics give the Jumbos a little more high end, if you want it. I can compare it to my S-500, though. The ASAT Cat gives me more options. I can get highs out of it when I want (if not the same as my S-500, very close); I can get the lows that the Jumbos are known for; I can get smooth, jazzy sounds when I roll off the highs. The benefit to all this is that I only have to carry one guitar. Since all my playing at this point is just jamming for fun, I don't want to worry about switching guitars between songs. I'm not sure how I would feel if I played for money, but I can imagine wanting to carry less gear if I had to carry it multiple times each week. As far as how the PGs look, I never thought that it was that unusual, so I don't really think about it.

Pickguards:
I go back and forth on this one. I tend to be traditional, so I've always seem to gravitate toward guitars with pickguards. Having said that, I have to say that I really love the look of the equatorial mahogany Cats.

Xavier said he'd rather have it with a PG and semi-hollow. I'm not sure if there are any of those left, but I know there were about five of them in the most recent run in pine.

Finally, as always, the full disclosure: Alley Cat Music is in my home town. I know the guys who own the store, and I like them. It's only fair that G&LDP readers are able to take those facts into consideration as you read my posts.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am

TBillPSU wrote:Keep in mind that the electronic innards of the ASAT Cat are different than an ASAT Special, so even when the middle pickup is out of the picture (as it is for me when I'm playing more cutting rock leads), the jumbo MFDs aren't quite the same as they would be on an ASAT Special.

I'm not sure about that. I checked out the circuit and, ignoring the push-pull expander pot, it's the same as the ASAT Special with the treble bleed cap omitted. Not sure why they did that, but MFDs are bright enough that I don't find the sound gets very muddy when rolling off the volume. Besides, I can always add a bleed cap.

I agree that the S-500 middle pickup balances very well with the ASAT MFDs and the N+M and M+B combinations aren't wimpy at all. A quick check of the DC-R showed that this model uses standard MFDs - not overwound or underwound.

GG

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am

Double post, sorry.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 am

Different strokes for different folks. I like the look of the ASAT cats, particularly the one GG posted. I like versatility and I think that ASAT cat probably has it in spades. For the type of players that want to peg one sound and make it theirs, it may not be their first choice but I want options and like trying new sounds. I'm thinking that mahogany would sound nice - it sure looks good!

To me, the pickguard usually looks better with the jumbo MFD's and I think adding that middle PU when there is no PG helps smooth the overall look a little. The white jumbo's without a pickguard seem to take over the whole guitar visually. My two cents and probably worth half that!

Thanks for the post/review Tbill. Curious about the pine body. Not familiar with them – how does that affect the sound? Less sustain, more?

As far as the back plate, I would be happy to accept any G&L's that someone want to give me if they are unhappy with theirs!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:51 pm

fianoman wrote:Thanks for the post/review TBill. Curious about the pine body. Not familiar with them – how does that affect the sound? Less sustain, more?

To be perfectly honest, I don't think my ear is good enough to tell the difference between one type of wood and another. The difference between pickups is much more obvious to my ear, so I was comfortable going into that.

I can tell you that I love the way it looks. Very subtle grain that takes the stain evenly.

All I can say with regard to the sound of the wood is that I played it in the shop and liked it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Will Ray's ASAT Special with a middle old style [rectangular] S-500 pickup predates the ASAT Cat. This picture was taken in 1995:

Hey Will, if you see this, can you give us some details on your ASAT Special? Was it factory built or did Mac Whiteside build it?

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:04 am

TBillPSU wrote:Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one.

No worries - your post had a pretty good description! Nice looking axe you have there! :thumbup: