View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lunch report Tuesday(Australia wakes up early) 18/02/14 

Post Lunch report Tuesday(Australia wakes up early) 18/02/14
Happy Day, Morning, evening ,

Its been quiet around here, wish my life was . Its morning so no lunch yet for me.

Here we go, As I have alluded to a bit in the past I have been going through a Bad divorce for 3 years. Is there a good divorce?
My Californian friend said "Hey Anthony you know why divorce is so expensive? Why? Because its so worthwhile. I still laugh out loud at that one.

Anyways in order to look after myself and my health I was thinking. Body, mind, spirit . So I was recommended to see a mindfulness meditation guru/genius/ plain good bloke.
I have already got to heavy so I won't go further but its pretty cool. Like guitar very hard to master.
Anyways again , we were sitting around talking about WANTING. Manish was talking about wanting and how it negatively affects us.
I get it , I really do and I try and live each day not wanting and being grateful.

But , and now the G&L bit I really, really, really want a Gerry Cantrell top of the line guitar. Not that I can afford one.
But does anyone have one they will sell me Please. I really want one. Hahahahaha

How about you. Do you walk the line between gratefulness and wanting more?

Am I getting too serious? Some would say I need to.

All the best,

Antoine

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Post Re: Lunch report Tuesday(Australia wakes up early) 18/02/14
Need to head out the door but this topic caught my attention.

Seems like the important thing is balancing on the cusp between apathy and intense need/desire. I know people will say need and desire are separate things but they do touch at 0 and 359 degrees so they are more like a different angle on the same object than separate things. We flop onto both sides of the fence in order to comprehend the other side. The farther we flop away from the cusp the more we are able to comprehend the whole picture. It can become very uncomfortable to say the least. I hope you are able to get that Jerry Cantrell at some point.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Hey Salmon,
Thanks for your reply , are need and desire really separate things??
It's taken me a fair bit of thought but I finally get what you are saying . Thank you for your wisdom.
A

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 am

One of the the few things that have allowed me freedom to let go of 'wants' ,
is to make it myself.
I am making some guitars from scratch , I find myself (surprised to be :thumbup: ) not as attached to some of the 'production'
guitars I have collected. This is good as I don't want to be a King of Closet Queens* forever. ( *band name ? )

I don't want to buy bread, I want to make it. I need to eat it if I want a good sammich.

I've been wanting to make a AIC tribby sort of axe . I wonder how long it would take KISW to track me down if I used some old ROCK stickers...might be ok as long as they are used G&L's modded with old stickers . We just won't tell them. :shh:

thanks for the 'not so heavy' LR Anthony,

elwood

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 am

Thanks for the LR Anthony and it looks like you are coming out the end of some difficult times. Lunch here is unknown. The only thing known is snow shoveling. We have already had our seasonal average snowfall.

Wants/ needs. I have bought less guitars in 2013 than previous years. I am at a point where I seldom see a guitar in a store that interests me. I never intended to have as many guitars as I have but wanted certain brands and models that I really liked. Its seems that I am past the wanting point and really appreciating what I have. There are none that I want to get rid of. I have never considered it a collection either. I just like guitars and they are perfect wall art. I now have a goal and that is to keep the number under 50. I believe that I am at 49 so it makes it easy if I have none that I want to get rid of. My last guitar was the Tribute M-2500 and it was intended to gig, the only Tribute I own. It is spectacular for that. I am well set and just need to stay away from other gear such as amps and band gear. I have extra bass cabinets sitting around that I should get rid of. I am moving to lighter weight and my 4-10 Golliath II weighs about a hundred lbs, more than a kid my age wishes to manage. Life is good and just had a great health report from the Doc. I have a lot of ways to improve if I need too. Until then??????????? life is good! :? -- Darwin

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 am

Thanks for the Lunch report!
And you ask a very good question, re wanting / needing.

I'm a relatively older contributor, at 62.
I've spent almost my whole working life in music.

What I find now, is that I have got seriously sensitised to marketing, in every area of life, and I consciously screen it out in order to choose what it is that will actually do what I want done. Supermarket, guitars, strings, valves, tyres, everything.

This may have something to do with having spent a good 2/3rds of my guesstimated 90,000 music studio hours "delivering" to ad agencies and TV directors.
From kiddy beginnings in the 50's, when a Strat was something Martian to a UK kid, to the early 70's when we welded the frame for our own first proper studio console, drew the PCB layouts, and wired it all (and laid the bricks; those were bold, innocent, in-love days...), it has been a lifetime journey of connecting with music, musical instruments, and making a living.

I think I finally may have some kind of touch for knowing what I can expect from a guitar, and distinguish between one that I can really get involved with and make good for me, and one that has been conceived for use by someone on a different mission, or else so unlucky by birth, or so abused in its lifetime, that I should just pass by.

I have consolidated the instruments that I have along these lines, and one very significant fact emerges: every 6-string electric guitar in the armoury will very soon be a G&L. I really believe CLF had it right at G&L; use single-coil, for most players. Noisy? Raise the output by magnetic efficiency (MFD). Still a little HF noisy? The MFD can be made bright, and aluminum in / under the pickguard can cancel that right out along with almost all of the other noise interference. His endless fascination with his P-bass humbucker layout gave us the great Z-coil. A great bridge, perhaps the best hardtail ever (Saddlelock), the best Tele bridge for those who must have it (Classic) and the best Strat-style (DF). Bigsby an option too. The most user-useful options of neck / fingerboard / fret ever offered at a fantastic price just seal the deal. They cost some here in UK, but that's fine, it adds up for me.

Be calm and respect yourself, and be patient. Life can be long (I hope mine is!) and contain many shades of experience, lots of them good. I have a sort of principle to try to go "through" and learn, not "round" and sidestep. Both routes cost about the same, but I know which I prefer now. I don't always get it right, of course, but I've found it is a good talisman to touch, the sacred stone in my pocket. Best wishes.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 pm

Lunch came out of a tin, and wasn't interesting enough to talk about!

Need v Want:
I want a Fullerton Red Bluesboy P90 with a cream pickguard, pickups, tinted neck, Ebony fingerboard and stainless frets.
But I don't need one. So most of the time, it's out of my mind, and when it creeps in I remind myself it wouldn't change my life to such a degree I can justify it. I may want it, but I sure don't need it.

I visited a friend earlier today who is about to hit his 70th birthday. He still gigs 3 or 4 times every week. He worked in a guitar shop for most of his life until he 'retired'. He was showing me loads of stuff he has accumulated over the years. He said "I wanted it all at the time, and some of it I needed. I don't need most of it now, but I'm attached to the memories some of it holds. I guess it's time to sell a lot of it now".

I guess the moral of that is that even if we genuinely need something, we may not need it for the whole of our lifetimes. Eventually it gets to where it weighs us down. Then we have to deal with attachment. Would life be better or worse if we let go of something we 'loved' at the time, but the feelings are now memories, rather than current? If we let go of something, maybe someone else will get to have the same feelings for it we had when we first 'needed' or 'wanted' it. Perhaps that is the best option - for us if we are being weighed down, for whatever we are letting go of, and for the person who takes over what we have let go....

Back to the meditation for me! :confused0007:

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:36 pm

NickHorne wrote:
Thanks for the Lunch report!
And you ask a very good question, re wanting / needing.

I'm a relatively older contributor, at 62.
I've spent almost my whole working life in music.

What I find now, is that I have got seriously sensitised to marketing, in every area of life, and I consciously screen it out in order to choose what it is that will actually do what I want done. Supermarket, guitars, strings, valves, tyres, everything.

This may have something to do with having spent a good 2/3rds of my guesstimated 90,000 music studio hours "delivering" to ad agencies and TV directors.
From kiddy beginnings in the 50's, when a Strat was something Martian to a UK kid, to the early 70's when we welded the frame for our own first proper studio console, drew the PCB layouts, and wired it all (and laid the bricks; those were bold, innocent, in-love days...), it has been a lifetime journey of connecting with music, musical instruments, and making a living.

I think I finally may have some kind of touch for knowing what I can expect from a guitar, and distinguish between one that I can really get involved with and make good for me, and one that has been conceived for use by someone on a different mission, or else so unlucky by birth, or so abused in its lifetime, that I should just pass by.

I have consolidated the instruments that I have along these lines, and one very significant fact emerges: every 6-string electric guitar in the armoury will very soon be a G&L. I really believe CLF had it right at G&L; use single-coil, for most players. Noisy? Raise the output by magnetic efficiency (MFD). Still a little HF noisy? The MFD can be made bright, and aluminum in / under the pickguard can cancel that right out along with almost all of the other noise interference. His endless fascination with his P-bass humbucker layout gave us the great Z-coil. A great bridge, perhaps the best hardtail ever (Saddlelock), the best Tele bridge for those who must have it (Classic) and the best Strat-style (DF). Bigsby an option too. The most user-useful options of neck / fingerboard / fret ever offered at a fantastic price just seal the deal. They cost some here in UK, but that's fine, it adds up for me.

Be calm and respect yourself, and be patient. Life can be long (I hope mine is!) and contain many shades of experience, lots of them good. I have a sort of principle to try to go "through" and learn, not "round" and sidestep. Both routes cost about the same, but I know which I prefer now. I don't always get it right, of course, but I've found it is a good talisman to touch, the sacred stone in my pocket. Best wishes.

This is just a great post. Thanks Nick! - ed

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]