Lunch Report For Friday, January 31, 2014

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:04 pm

Sorry I’m late today.

Can’t tell you how fun it’s been for me to write the Lunch Report for y’all this week. It does take me a lot of time, but I really feel like I not only put a lot of myself out there—but I always learn so much, too. Thanks to all of the participants and for your kind words.

Yesterday’s leftovers….

I have to say that Sprinter wins the award for the Best Pedal Board. Miss Leslie said so. She thought it was cool that his wah-wah pedal actually went “Meow Meow Meow”.

Me? I thought it was PURR-fect!

(Just goes to show you…put a picture of a kitty or puppy in a shot of the nude Swedish Bikini Volleyball Team—and people will start yappin’ about how their own pet is cuter!)

++++++++++++++++++

Super Bowl weekend is upon us and I’m so excited and anxious about the game. Of course, having lived in Seattle for most of my life, I’m a huge Seahawk fan. I fully expect to put about 10 years of wear and tear on my sofa guitar—I get really nervous and I start to play.

It’ll just be me and Miss Leslie—I’ll be watching the game and she’ll be watching the commercials. I don’t think we’ll do anything special food wise, but hopefully after the game we’ll be able to go celebrate a SEAHAWK win.

So what about you? Gonna watch the game in Sunday? Having a party with your friends? Any special food that you’ll be having for the game?

Or do you just not care…

All week long, I’ve been trying to visualize the score, so I’m picking the Seahawks in a huge upset, Seahawks 42, Denver 17. I think the Seahawk defense will create short fields for Russell Wilson and I’m expecting a big game from Marshawn Lynch. I think the Seahawk’s D makes life miserable for Peyton Manning—he’s gonna wanna BE in “Omaha” by the middle of the third quarter.

What is your prediction for the game?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anybody know where I can get a set of capacitors for the PTB system? I have a used Transparent Blue Legacy that I bought in 2012 that had the wiring changed and aftermarket pickups installed. It’s kind of like Strat wiring, but it has a push-pull pot on the volume knob that I think acts like the S-500/Comanche mini-toggle “sweet switch”. I want to put it back to original specs, and change the pickups to something more my style.

Last year I ordered new pots from the store and requested the caps, but the caps didn’t come with the pots, so the project has just been sitting here. (Big disappointment!) I’ve tried to track down some caps, and Fry’s came closest to having what I need, but not exactly the same values. Calls and e-mails to G&L have gone unanswered. (BIGGER Disappointment!) :shocked028:

Any ideas about where to get these parts from?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What mods have you done to your G&L guitars?

Changed wiring, upgraded pots and caps, or pickups? Tried the 4-way switch in the ASAT?

Blocked a vibrato? Or added Graph-Tech saddles? Or a synth pickup?

Made intonation mods, like the Buzz Feiten or Earvana nuts? Gone to graphite or bone nut?

Gone to a different fret size or material?

Sanded the neck; or refinished the guitar? Or added a “Blue Dress” girl or “Peace” symbol decal?

Are strap locks a necessity for you?

Rubbed the neck with Holy chicken bones to create “mojo”?

Or is there some other secret mod you’ve done?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’ve got one Legacy that I bought with the Earvana nut. Not sure I like it—it just LOOKS weird. Then there is the Blue Legacy with the wiring mods. And my “Mary Kaye” blonde Legacy came to me with Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot pickups and a refret with slightly larger than factory jumbo frets. I’ve picked up a couple more sets of the Antiquitys for my G&Ls; they have a nice thick tone that I like--different than the stock pickups, not necessarily better—just different. My first S-500 came to me with a Duncan JB, Jr. installed in the bridge. It sounds decent, but its output can barely keep up with the hot MFDs. A few G&Ls have Schaller strap locks, but usually I don’t bother with them. I would never block a DF Vibrato—blasphemy! :mad0025:

As a rule, I don’t usually make a lot of mods to my guitars, and RARELY do anything that can’t be reversed. On my Gibsons, strap locks are mandatory. I’ve changed pickups in a few, added an RS Kit pot and cap upgrade, and maybe a LW aluminum tailpiece. One needed some serious finish repair after a poor attempt at “relicing” (my ’59 Les Paul Reissue). The only really non-reversible mod I’ve ever done to one of my guitars—I had luthier Mike Lull install a middle pickup in one of my Music Man Sabres. We used a Sabre bridge pickup and it looks totally factory. He did a beautiful job.

Tell us about mods you like to make.

That’s all for this week, kids. Thanks for tuning in.

Have a great weekend. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you love them—better yet, SHOW THEM!

And GO SEAHAWKS!!! :banana:

Bill

Re: Lunch Report For Friday, January 31, 2014

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:
I have to say that Sprinter wins the award for the Best Pedal Board. Miss Leslie said so. She thought it was cool that his wah-wah pedal actually went “Meow Meow Meow”.

My award winning peadal board features a wah-wah pedal that also doubles as a leg warmer.

The big cat is Beavis Jr. and the smaller one is Granny. Granny is 15 years old and slowing down. Beavis Jr. is a 12 year old pain in the ass.

Boogie Bill wrote:So what about you? Gonna watch the game in Sunday? Having a party with your friends? Any special food that you’ll be having for the game?

The only Bowl I care about is the Chili Bowl. The Chili Bowl is a five day long midget sprint car race that was held two weeks ago. This years Chili Bowl had 275 cars entered. I do watch the Super Bowl for the ads.

Boogie Bill wrote:What is your prediction for the game?

I'll take Denver.

Boogie Bill wrote:Anybody know where I can get a set of capacitors for the PTB system?

I have bought them individually on Ebay. They're not the exact parts that G&L uses, but they're the same values and they work.

Boogie Bill wrote:What mods have you done to your G&L guitars?

I modded my '97 Invader Plus by removing the five way switch and installing a three way switch. The middle pickup is no longer hooked up. The coil tap switch has been disconnected too. The last mod I did to it was to replace the Seymour Duncan JB, with a Seymour Duncan, Pearly Gates pickup in the bridge position.

Boogie Bill wrote:Are strap locks a necessity for you?

Nope, I only play at home and always seated.

Thank you, for stepping up this week, Bill!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Hey Bill,

Thanks for a fantastic week, lots of info passed through the net for sure. Quick Boogie question, how would you compare your Maverick to a Blue Angel?

It must have been a typo I saw, shouldn't that have been Broncos 42 Seahawks 17 :evilgrin:
I will watch it with family and have chips, dip and homemade chex/nut mix.

I love to do mods but like you, nothing irreversible and preferably no major damage to guitar. Big 4 way switch fan. Would like to see the ASAT Super pups available in the online store for other fun mods. :!:

1 ASAT Deluxe - Switched pups - now has Dimarzio Air Norton in neck and Dimarzio Evolution in bridge, added a 4 way switch, also added push pull on one pickup and left stock switch to allow separate coil split for neck or bridge. The AirNorton gives a very nice split sound and the Evolution takes distortion more to the Steve Vai sound I want from this guitar. Think Deluxe, Bluesboy, ASAT, HB and more all rolled into one!

2 Standard ASAT Z3 and put in a Will Ray bridge pup.

3 4 way switch in a 80's ASAT

4 Strap locks on the ASAT Classic Custom - only guitar with strap locks but could do this to all.

5 Parts ASAT Trib Z2/Will Ray screamer - ASAT Special body, Legacy neck, two custom wound Z coils, 4 way switch, locking tuners and a Hip Shot BBender.

Worthwhile mods done on non-G&L geetars
6 A Broadcaster bridge p-up in a MIJ 62 Tele re-issue (highly recommended)

7 I juiced up a Squire double hummer tele with a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge and a Duncan JB neck, graph tech saddles and nut - much better sounding low cost guitar.

This just makes me want to go play 'em all.

Have a SUPER weekend! :sign0011:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Sam, it’s very hard to compare the Maverick to a Blue Angel.

First of all, the cabinets are different. The did both come in 410 version and a head only version, but I’ve only ever played Maverick 112 and 212 (own) versions and 112 and 210 versions of the BA. The cabs are different sizes in the 112 versions, so that’s not a fair comparo.

The BA has no master volume and only one channel, so it is a real departure for normal Mesa designs. The cool thing is the Progressive Linkage (Does not mean hooking up with Flo, BTW!), but the ability to use either or both 2x6V6s or 4xEL84 power tubes, giving you an amp that in theory can cop tones of either a Deluxe Reverb or an AC-30--or create a tone that is the best of both. The range of tone in the BA's preamp is far better than either the DR or the AC.

The two channel Maverick is the more practical amp, at least for my style. This amp took aim at “roots” rock. It runs in what Mesa calls Class A with 4xEL84s like an AC-30. It has a lot of the AC-30’s chime, but the gain and master volumes allow you to go from clean to bluesy to nasty pretty easily. A lot depends on how you set the midrange control, especially in the clean channel—and you can go from VOX-y to Twin Reverb muscle. Switching from the rectifier tube to the diodes adds to the TR feel of the amp. I prefer the tube sag.

The LEAD channel does not have as much gain as the Mark Series or the Dual Caliber amps, but there is still enough for most styles. It is not a metal amp. I use a slight always-on boost and I have no problem getting singing Santana-esque lines from my Maverick. Every guitar I’ve ever played through the Mav sounds good, and they have a rep for doing wonders with Teisco, Italian Vox, Gretsch, and Ric pickups, et.al.—the weird stuff.

My favorite LEAD channel setting gets me really close to Allman’s” Live at the Fillmore” Plexi Marshall tone with my Historic Les Pauls. I can really dig in with my fingers, and the amp responds. And while most all of the Mesas have the bass somewhat curtailed, I like to use the Mav with a Mesa 212 Horizontal Recto V-30 cab, and that adds a lot of bottom end THUMP to get even closer to that classic stack tone.

EDIT: Let me just add that I really like having the EFX loop, something you can't get with a DR or AC-30. And the OUTPUT master volume works on both channels and is a very handy feature, allowing you to control your overall volume with one knob without having to change the balance between the two channels.

I wish that I’d had a BA back in the day when I could just crank my amp up to 7-8 and control my distortion with the guitar’s volume knob—it’s killer for that, and yet it is a very sweet and clean amp for the gigging jazz cat, too.

For where I’m at now, the Maverick fits me better.

That help?

Bill

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Perfecto! I have only spent limited time with a Mav 2 x 12 and BA 4 x 10 and what you said brings back some of those sounds. Looking at both now, if I can get one will let ya know. Thanks a bunch. :D

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Bill- Your capacitor problem should be able to be solved with a courteous call to the G&L factory under the premise of restoring "another's failed attempt at changing perfection" or something like that.
I had them ship me a new IC chip for my L2k bass that way, free of charge!
Good luck with the project.

I haven't been able to participate much this week but It looks like it was fun.
I met KENC in our favorite used gear Music store a couple of weeks ago. He has been busy!LOL

You guys buy lots of cool stuff!

I think it may be Peyton's day on Sunday but don't you guys think that its weird that the first all Western Superbowl is played in New Jersey; in February?

It just might snow on Sunday!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Bill, I have enjoyed the LR's this week. I will do it soon, I am on the home stretch with the recording. No lunch but had a snack and cold one with Ginny at Big Louies and just got back.

What mods have you done to your G&L guitars?

"Changed wiring, upgraded pots and caps, or pickups? Tried the 4-way switch in the ASAT?"

I have a Legacy with Kinman Blues pickups and an Earvana nut. I didn't do the mods but I did rewire it to original. I also put the WR bridge in my Asat Z3.

"Blocked a vibrato? Or added Graph-Tech saddles? Or a synth pickup?"

I have added a synth pickup to a Legacy to use with a GR 20. Very nice rig.

"Made intonation mods, like the Buzz Feiten or Earvana nuts? Gone to graphite or bone nut?"

I have most of them and have no real preference.

"Gone to a different fret size or material?"

I have vintage, large jumbo and others. I do love the stainless steel frets on the Parker Southern.

"Sanded the neck; or refinished the guitar? Or added a “Blue Dress” girl or “Peace” symbol decal?"

Total refinishes and don't understand why they are such a sin.

"Are strap locks a necessity for you?" Yes

"Rubbed the neck with Holy chicken bones to create “mojo”?"

Nope! Just Mothers.

Or is there some other secret mod you’ve done?

One of my best was installing the F bigsby on the Bluesboy. Someone is really enjoying that guitar. It was sweet but quite heavy. My Alder G&Ls have been the heaviest. Another thing that is fun is to setup a Tribute with fretwork and adjustments so they play like a finely tuned US.

Thanks for the reports this week Bill. I am going to do a week when I'm finished with the recording. -- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 pm

great week Bill !! ..... I had a WR bridge pu installed in my Comanche , my Cavalier has/came with a 4 way switch , I will probably up-grade some of my DF guitars to DFS but other than that I leave them stock and fix what needs fixed when they do need something

I prefer strap locks and have them on all of them except the Buck Owens and it will get a set soon , I keep the original's in the correct case for the guitar so they don't get lost or mixed up , I also have dedicated straps on each guitar instead of having one strap switching guitar to guitar

Eric

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

bassman wrote:I think it may be Peyton's day on Sunday but don't you guys think that its weird that the first all Western Superbowl is played in New Jersey; in February?
Wasn't the San Diego Chargers and SF 49ers Superbowl an all Western Superbowl?

Boogie Bill wrote:Super Bowl weekend:
I don't know enough to say anything about the game but I did enter a football pool and hope I win more than I spent......I look forward to the commercials too.

Boogie Bill wrote:What mods have you done to your G&L guitars?
With the exception of the one I special ordered, every G&L has an alternative pickguard sitting uninstalled. I look at the guitars and imagine they would look better with a different pickguard. I order one then have yet to install any of them. Somehow I appreciate the original when I have the alternate at hand. This has worked consistently and it helps that none of the original guards have been horrendous.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:16 am

Fumble fingers wrote:I prefer strap locks and have them on all of them except the Buck Owens and it will get a set soon , I keep the original's in the correct case for the guitar so they don't get lost or mixed up , I also have dedicated straps on each guitar instead of having one strap switching guitar to guitar.

Eric

Yeah Eric, me too. I think I've spent a fortune on leather straps. I've become quite the fashionista, searching for the "right" strap to compliment each guitar.

Bill

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks Tim for the tip, I will check them out.

Sam, I should have mentioned that I actually have two Maverick, and the older one could be pried away. PM or Email me if interested.

Bill, I couldn't get them to respond to my calls or to answer my emails. Baffling.

Bill

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Kia ora Bill!

GO HAWKS !!!

Hailing from Seattle I'm totally a fan of the Seahawks and am stoked that they're in the Super Bowl again - this time I believe it will be a different story.
Here's why...
In Numerology there are 18 year Fate cycles. Basically every 18 years similar events occur in one's life. Its easy to confirm this if one plots out their life on a sine wave starting at age 0. High (positive) and Low (negative) events are easiest to track as they are the ones that are the most memorable. The trick is to accurately remember the past - easier said than done!
This cycle is based on the # 8 which rules Fate, the unconscious mind, and dharma which it that which must be done. Half cycles comprise of 9 years which mark opposite or contrary events (180 degrees out of phase). So applying this to the Seahawks - 9 years ago they were in the Super Bowl and they lost to the Steelers. So 9 years later the opposite has to take place - they either don't make the Super Bowl (such as the Steelers) or they do and they win.

I'll be watching the game here with a fellow Seahawks Fan - hard to come by but they do exist in Aotearoa!

Re where to sort the caps you're looking for - I suggest asking Mike next time you see him... heaps of instruments go thru his shop for repairs and mods and 9 times out of 10 the customer doesn't want the 'old' parts so Mike hangs on to them. I've found some really hard to find parts such as a middle copper spring & a black crinkle string block for an ASAT Classic. It may be a long shot but he might just have some.... or know where to get them.
Re your MM - I bet! He does Brilliant work. Post a pic - would love to see it. I recently picked up and blonde sabre and swung it by Mike's when I was in town over the Holidays.

I dig keeping my guitars stock for the most part but adding a bone nut or having the stock one reworked a bit sometimes is a good thing. I've been know to add stickers but for the most part I like my plain Janish.

I really dig aluminium pick guards and recently added a white powdered one to my '90 ASAT SIg. S'pose to have come with one but it had a single ply black plastic one which I believe was stock. It was horribly metled from the fire so too hard to tell but it was pretty thick. Late last year I saw a '90 ASAT SIg on CL near SD that looked to have a black plastic p/g so I believe some shipped that way.
I've also modded one of the white powder ones by coating it with sesame & olive oil and baking it in a toaster oven - turned it jet black and looks rad!

I'm not a fan of straplocks - I dig the stock G&L ones but know from experience they're not fool/fall proof so I utelise thin plastic bread ties... just slide it btw the top of the strap & under the head of the button - position the bottom part over the slit in the strap end. Looks kinda crap but works like a charm and is Cheap as.

Thanks for a great week Bill - enjoy the game !

Seahawks YO!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Hope you celebrate a Sea Hawks win later Bill

As the brilliant Liverpool football coach Bill Shankly said Football is not a matter of life and death it's much more important than that .

I hope New York is freezing , raining and snowing .

That's what Seattle is like isn't it? Haha

Anthony

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Congrats to your Seahawks, Bill. Great call! - ed

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Katefan wrote:Kia ora Bill!

GO HAWKS !!!

Hailing from Seattle I'm totally a fan of the Seahawks and am stoked that they're in the Super Bowl again - this time I believe it will be a different story.
Here's why...
In Numerology there are 18 year Fate cycles. Basically every 18 years similar events occur in one's life. Its easy to confirm this if one plots out their life on a sine wave starting at age 0. High (positive) and Low (negative) events are easiest to track as they are the ones that are the most memorable. The trick is to accurately remember the past - easier said than done!
This cycle is based on the # 8 which rules Fate, the unconscious mind, and dharma which it that which must be done. Half cycles comprise of 9 years which mark opposite or contrary events (180 degrees out of phase). So applying this to the Seahawks - 9 years ago they were in the Super Bowl and they lost to the Steelers. So 9 years later the opposite has to take place - they either don't make the Super Bowl (such as the Steelers) or they do and they win....

Well, interesting result.

How is it that 18 and 9 can be based on an 8? The 18 and 9 fit the backstory but mentioning the 8 begs for an explanation.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:48 am

Yes, indeed . The number 8 deals with the unconscious mind, Dharma & Fate... the Fate Cycle in Numerology comprises of multiplies of 9 years. One complete cycle is 18 years so similar events will occur every 18 years... opposite or contrary events occur on the half cycle which comprise of 9 years.
#9 deals with Karma (residue from previous lives) and innate talents. 9 is a very interesting number in that the sum of the product of any number multiplied to it always equals 9 and the sum of the product of any number added to 9 always equals said number.... 2 x 9 = 18 (1+8=9). 3 x 9 = 27 (2+7= 9). 4+9=13 (1+3= 4). 6+9=15 (1+5=6).
If you're keen to learn more about the Fate Cycle you can read about it in a book by Norman Shine called Numerology - Your Character & Future Revealed in Numbers.

Cheers,
KF

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 am

bassman wrote:
I think it may be Peyton's day on Sunday but don't you guys think that its weird that the first all Western Superbowl is played in New Jersey; in February?

That was the all California Superbowl and this one sure wasn't Peyton's day. That game became painful to watch for Broncos fans after the first play! Congrats to all of you Seahawks fans! There is no question as to which team is the deserved World Champion.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Did I call that one or what! So happy! Soaring...!!!

Bill

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Did I call that one or what! So happy! Soaring...!!!

Bill

Indeed you did. Enjoy! - ed

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Katefan wrote:Yes, indeed . The number 8 deals with the unconscious mind, Dharma & Fate... the Fate Cycle in Numerology comprises of multiplies of 9 years. One complete cycle is 18 years so similar events will occur every 18 years... opposite or contrary events occur on the half cycle which comprise of 9 years.
#9 deals with Karma (residue from previous lives) and innate talents. 9 is a very interesting number in that the sum of the product of any number multiplied to it always equals 9 and the sum of the product of any number added to 9 always equals said number.... 2 x 9 = 18 (1+8=9). 3 x 9 = 27 (2+7= 9). 4+9=13 (1+3= 4). 6+9=15 (1+5=6).
If you're keen to learn more about the Fate Cycle you can read about it in a book by Norman Shine called Numerology - Your Character & Future Revealed in Numbers.

Cheers,
KF

Thanks Katefan but I don't see anything about the number 8 in this. How does the number 8 factor into the 9-year cycles? If it is specifically regarding only the Seahawks how does 8 pop up in their history?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 pm

bassman wrote:
bassman wrote:

That was the all California Superbowl and this one sure wasn't Peyton's day. That game became painful to watch for Broncos fans after the first play! Congrats to all of you Seahawks fans! There is no question as to which team is the deserved World Champion.

So are these just nicknames you have coined?

So many Superbowls are over in the first quarter. It seems like it is the game where the mind decides who is to win. It is a given that the teams making it to the Superbowl have the game of football down. If one team goes in owning the win psychologically it is rare that another team has the aptitude to change that perception and win. Sometimes you have relative equals in mindset and it is more of a football game and less of a mind game. But this is The Game and it seems like a lot of pro football players imagine playing well to win. If they stumble they fall apart and typically feel they have lost when they still have a chance to turn it around.........so it seems to me.