Lunch Report For Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 am

Lunch leftovers from yesterday….

Some good ideas from Sam and Darwin. P-90s and Filtertrons are favorites, though G&L seems to be moving away from using outside pickup designs and towards keeping things in house. Lollars and TV Jones pickups would be a cool edition. And the idea of a 4-way switch on the ASAT seems do-able. I don’t know that G&L could do the 24.75” scale necks or even the 24 fret necks without expensive retooling. Worth looking into though, I think.

Leo, I hate it when you show off that guitar. That Interceptor is just unbelievably beautiful and cool. :luv: Shame on you!

Sam, I like the idea of a Boogie Bill "Signature" 12-string! (That could be the only signature guitar to ever hit the market for an artist that can't play! LOL!)

And Astutzmann's idea of a BBE/G&L amp might not be too far off. They have the know-how, and I'm assuming the tooling--be interesting to see if they would be willing to finally jump into the boutique amp market. Frankly, I'm surprised that Music Man has not gone back into the amp market with some retro-based amps--upgraded with some modern features. Thoughts?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I’ve owned a bunch of amps over the years. My first was a new Kalamazoo Model II circa 1966. My first good amp was a used BF Bandmaster rig, my sis co-signed the loan from HFC for me; that would have been back in 1967-68. Unfortunately that amp was stolen out of my car in October of 1972, I was already a working pro. After a short, bad experience with a 410 SS Gibson, I was able to take that amp back and get my SUNN Solos II, a SS 212 combo, and that amp paid the rent for more than 20 years.

I found a great deal on a Fender Super Champ in the late 1980’s that amp started me back on the road to tube amps. Another great deal got me a Peavey Rock Master—a fire-breathing 120-watt hybrid monster and a 412 cab. That amp was only $25. I got it cheap because it was dead, which turned out to be an internal 25-cent fuse. Lucky me! After a year or so, I sold it to a guy for about $400.

And then I acquired a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, a BF blonde 1964 Tremolux rig, a Marshall 4010 JCM 800 single channel 50-watt 112 combo and a Fender 75 head and matching 112 EV Force cab. Those were all good amps that I got REALLY cheap, yet something was missing from all of them.

I finally found my tone in a used Mesa Mark III Coliseum 200-watt head, another amp I got for a great deal; and then a few days later found a beat-up, road-worn, matching Mesa 412 EVM/C-90 Half-back cab. I spent a few days cleaning and repairing the Tolex and repainting the metal grill on that cab, and it looked almost new when I was done. It was like somebody flipped a switch—all of a sudden, my playing got better; people would be coming up to the stage and complimenting me on my playing and tone—which really pissed off the “lead guitarist” in my band.

I wanted a nice little tube combo to take to jams, and when a deal popped up on a Mesa DC-3 112 V-30 combo, I was lucky enough to have cash in my pocket. They were $999 new—this one was less than six months old, and grabbed it for $450. It is the most ferocious little 35-watt amp you could imagine, and with a Mesa 112 Theile cab under it, it will shame most half-stacks. The thick, compressed round tone of the 4xEL84 power amp is a big contrast to the powerful, wide-range dynamic punch of the 6x6L6s in the Mark III head.

Those two have grown to become a stable of Mesa amps, and the Fenders and Marshalls have gone away, but I kept the old SUNN. I now have two Mark III Simul-Class combos, a Mark IV EVM Combo, the Maverick 212 combo, and most recently the Mark V combo and its 112 wide-body closed back extension cab. A lot of people think the Mesa amps are too complicated, but I have never had any trouble dialing in great tones on any of my amps. The Mark V had great tones on all three channels in less than five minutes. It is capable of vast subtle shadings, of course; but I’m more of the RONCO School of amp management—I “SET IT AND FORGET IT!” That’s for playing live, but it will surely change when I attempt some recording.

In my old band, where I was doing mostly rhythm parts, I always tried to choose an amp based on the clean tone, but when I started doing more leads I wanted a great lead tone too. I’m not big on using pedals for my dirt, because to me, the solid state pedals don’t sound like tube distortion—there’s something amiss in the timing sequence of attack, compression, distortion, decay and release that is screwy with pedals. The Mesas have always given me a usable clean tone, and then there is the singing lead tone that Mesa is famous for. The Mark V not only can recreate the great lead tones of the Mark I, Mark II-C+ and the Mark IV, but the Clean channel on this amp is to die for.

Small amps can be fun, especially cranked, but I usually prefer big, bold, dynamic amps with lots of headroom. I know Will Ray likes amps with lots of headroom for his clean tones. I had a chance to talk with Mesa endorser Andy Timmons at one of his Mesa Clinics, and he told me that he always prefers the 100-watt settings on his Lonestar Classic and Stiletto amps. Most of the time around here at many of the jams, you won’t see amps much bigger than a Deluxe Reverb. While the Mark IV combo I have is the same dimensions as a Princeton Reverb, with the EVM speaker it weighs more than a Twin Reverb reissue—a shock to anybody who tries to help me with my gear. I do worry that as I get older, I won’t be able to haul these monsters around.

So today’s questions are about your amp journey.

How did your amp journey begin?

Worst amp? Best amp? Best deal? Is there one that got away, or one you wish you had back?

Boutique amp that you would most like to try? Most ridiculous?

Coolest amp or feature since sliced bread?

What is your philosophy regarding big amp versus small amp?

Tubes? Solid State? Modelling? Rack units? Midi switching?

Or have you given up amps for a Line 6 Pod, Tech 21 SansAmp, etc.; or have you gotten rid of your mics and now record directly with a program like Amp
Farm?

Is anything more than three knobs too many? Or do you seek switchable flexibility?

Is one amp enough, or does the modern player need a stable of amps for various genres and venues?

Are you happy with your current amp? Why or why not?

Don’t have to answer all the questions, just grab the ones that interest you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for playing. BTW, todays Lunch report was done late last night, while listening to Sergio Mendes’ (of Brazil ’66 fame) excellent 2008 Concord CD, “encanto”. I don’t speak Portuguese or Spanish, but even I know a love song when I hear it….no matter what the language.

Bill

Re: Lunch Report For Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks Bill, I look forward to yer picture on the Boogie Bill "Signature" 12-string adverts!

Also a Boogie fan, I think Randall Smith has nailed the clean tone with some of his amps.

My amp journey started with a Stage 25 (made by Univox) Solid State. Good enough for a beginner but would also be the worst I guess.

My best amp is my current Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special which was also my best deal ($800). The one that got away was a Boogie 4x10 Blue Angel ($700) which I may get one day any way. For those not familiar, these were a single channel amp with what they call Progressive Linkage™ that allows you to switch between or combine Power Tubes: 2 x 6V6 & 4 x EL84 for 15, 33, or 38 Watts.

My "like to try and most ridculous" would both be a Dumble. That is almost like finding Sasquatch. :lol:

Coolest amp or feature since sliced bread for me is Leo's tremolo ala "Vibro Champ"

My philosophy regarding big amp versus small amp, is use what you need and what feels right for you.

Tubes for me. Not a tube snob however, because I do think there are some solid state amps that can sound good. The Super Champ XD combines tube and modelling in a cool way.

Is anything more than three knobs too many? Or do you seek switchable flexibility?
I would like to scale back to just three knobs but switching knobs is like looking for the perfect sound.

For most of us one amp SHOULD be enough, unless you play at coffee house on Friday night and the Staples Center on Saturday. If possible get more than one - just one amp is like saying just one G&L.

I run between the Boogie LoneStar Special, Boogie F50, Fender Blues Deluxe (with a triode switch mod that takes it from 40 W to about 17-20) and a Fender VibroChamp (see why I like tremolo above). I also have a set of Yellow Jackets for the Boogie F50 which take it from a 6L6 50W to EL84 20W. Sweet little gizmos. Gotta say happy with all for their different tones.

Bill, in the end we all just need a Mesa Boogie Mark V like you that covers soooo much ground. :sign0011:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 am

I prefer simple amps. I've found that it's harder to dial in a good tone on an amp with a lot of knobs. My two old Princeton's are easy to dial in. The '56 has a single tone knob. The '71 Princeton Reverb has a bass knob and a treble knob. I've owned several amps with bass, treble, mid & cut tone knobs and I was always twisting knobs trying to make them sound good.

My amp journey began with a solid state Alamo which was soon replaced with a Peavey, Pacer. I played the Pacer for a few years until it was replaced with a Randall RG-80. The next step was a big one! I replaced the Randall with a pair of Hi-Watt heads and a Hi-Watt 4x12" cabinet. The heads were 50 watt and 100 watt. I wish I still had those! I used the Hi-Watts up to 1990. I sold everything I had in the early 90's and quit playing. In 2000 I got back into guitars and went crazy buying, selling & trading guitars and amps. Since 2000 I've owned so many amps that I don't remember all of them. Currently I have the two Princeton's, a Peavey Delta Blues and a Top Hat Club Royale. I'm planning to trade the Top Hat and probably the Peavey too for a Splawn amp sometime this year.

The amps that I remember that I've owned since 2000:

Tube Works combo / Fender, Blues Jr. / Fender, Deluxe Reverb (this amp was a POS) / Traynor YCV-40 (this was a great sounding amp until it blew up. After Traynor repaired it, it never sounded the same) / Traynor YCV-40WR 40th Anniversary / Dr. Z, MAZ-38NR / Dr. Z, Mini-Z head / Rivera, Venus 3 (Ate power tubes and Rivera would not repair it under warranty. :fighting0030: They kept telling me it was bad tubes. :BangBang: The amp would kill a new power tube in 15 minutes. ) / Ampeg R12R / I know there are more, but those are the ones I remember.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am

A lot of amp questions Bill but I can pretty much sum it up with one overall answer. BTW, I am going out for lunch- Mexican.

My original amp in 1961 was a Gibson, don't remember which one but it was pretty much blown after a month of using it for a bass amp. Then on to the Brownface 62 Bassman. Sold that in 1965 and got another Bassman in the early 70's, a 1966 model. I have tried different boutique amps and nothing has come home with me other than my little Valve Train 205.

The Valve Train 205 is a 5 watt, 8 inch Weber and a stellar little amp. I have the Spring Thing to go with it. It is my little amp. For the modeling I have a Fender Cyber Twin Se which is not really a modeling as it has 5 different amps built into it. I think that it is incredible once you figure out how to program it and the effect are awesome. The presets that came in are horrible. For everything else I have a 76 Fender Vibraqsomic Reverb with the 15 JBL DF130 and for me it is the perfect amp. I would not sell it unless I someone wanted it enough to pay an outlandish sum for it. I would them replace it with a new 65 Reverb Custom 15 which I have already owned and sold. I am 15 inch speakers all the way and not only tube, but hand wired, as they are repairable. That sums it up. -- Darwin

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 pm

My first amp was a very early silverface Vibrochamp--probably 1967-1968. My parents bought it for me along with an obscure Japanese guitar named "Super Astrotone" from Wallach's Music City in S.California--some of you older L.A. folk probably remember these stores.
I really didn't appreciate what I had in the Vibrochamp and eventually sold it and obtained a used Silvertone twin--the one where the head stores inside the cab. It probably needed work and possibly new speakers--I could not get a good clean tone and knew nothing about amps at the time, so that was replaced in 1970 by a blackface Fender Bassman head with one of the tall 2x12 cabs. Once again I didn't appreciate what I had and let it get away.
My next amp was a brand new Acoustic Control 135--the 125 watt, 2x12 combo solid state monster. Extremely loud with a classic solid state sterility to the sound.
In 1974 I sold all my electric equipment and took a hiatus.
In the early '80s I decided to get back into electric. It's interesting that Sprinter should mention the Randall RG-80.....this is what I wanted but could not afford it so I bought the RG-40 along with the SC-1 in my avatar. A couple years later I found the RG-80 in a pawn shop for a good price. I still think this is one of the best solid state amps ever made.

It must have been the early '90s when I returned to tube amps. I bought a new Mesa Subway Blues--like Sam I always wanted the Blue Angel--I played one in the store but could not afford it at the time--IMO the best amp Mesa has ever produced.
The Subway is still my only amp -- the simplicity of 5 knobs and a single channel is appealing to me--most of the new Mesa amps for me have way too many options. I also have a Thiele cab with the EVL12 like Boogie Bill--these are fantastic cabs and really add another dimension for my single 10" combo.

I could not imagine going back to solid state. I'd love to have the Blue Angel, or any of several vintage Fender amps, but not on my agenda for the foreseeable future.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Lunch at Panera: chicken noodle soup and 1/2 Turkey sandwich.

Love talking about amps, Bill. I remember your fondness for Mesa amps. I have a Mark III short head Simuclass Blue Stripe and two Mesa 112 Thiele cabs with Celestion lead 90's. I pair guitars with amps (tubes) and speakers and have discussed this before here at length. I don't particularly like the Mesa for my G&L's. I primarily use a Fender HRD and a Roccaforte 30W head that I run through one of the Thiele cabs. I switch speakers back and forth for fun.

First purchased and best amp, like Maverick, was HIWATT. I guess it's also the one that got away. I had a Custom 50 2X12 combo that I bought in London in 1974 at the factory. Like others posting today, I quit playing for several years in the '70's and sold that amp for close to nothing in Seattle in '78. It never ran well on 110V anyway.

I play tube amps but worked my way back to them after a few Roland, Peavy and Fender SS reverb amps that I bought cheap and still have. For me, if you get that Fender clean tone, whichever way, you are 80-90% there, especially if you use pedals. I didn't anymore until I got a Sonic Stomp from doing the LR last month, and it's always on now. Love it.

I have a pod for playing when everyone is asleep and taking on car trips, etc.

You make me want to experiment with the Mesa more. I also like your question of whether you LIKE your amps. Yes, I do. The equipment and the tone I get from it is probably the most satisfying thing I get out of playing now, being stuck in a rut for several years, albeit a good rut. I'll say again I wish I played single-coils years ago.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Grilled cheese, tomato basil soup with a mix of grilled eggplant and onions mixed in. Nice hot lunch to go with our freezing rain.

Amps are certainly the other half of the electric guitar and certain amps seem great paired with some planks while others sound like dookie.

I don't play professionally and living in tight quarters the past 10 years, my ultimate quest has been for a great, small wattage amp. To that end, I bought a Carr Merc that is 8 watts, 12 in speaker. All tube, point to point and I am totally satisfied with it. Depending on my mood, I can use an EL34, KT66, or a 6L6 in it. I also have a set of yellow jackets so I can run an EL84 in there too – which is actually my favorite. Sparkle, chime, and nice crunch too. The Mercury has great reverb, three boost levels (clean, a little grit, and distortion), and also has attenuation that lets me go down to 1/8 watt. Surprisingly, you can really get great distortion even at that level. Very strange talking over that kind of gain! At 8 tube watts, it can be pretty loud and mics up very well if you need to run through a PA. I think Steve Carr uses one of these when he plays live with his band. Rock solid amp. Called Steve Carr one time with a question and his response was basically, do what you want, you can't break it.

I have acquired a few Fenders along the way, bought a Champ SE with my first electric, an Ibanez strat. That one has tube power stage, 25 watts and really has a nice Fender clean (changed out the stock tubes) but the distortion side lacks a bit. Has a nice effects loop though so it is pretty usable overall using the clean side.

From there, I got a 70 SF Princeton Reverb. Really nice sound. Found a great deal on an 82 Deluxe Reverb II a short time after I got the PR. The DRII was built as a response to the Mesa Boogies. Two of the cleanest ones (cosmetically) I have seen. Both with original foot pedals!! What do people do with those things? Nice 6V6 tones from both of those hand wired amps.

Anyway, given my current quarters, I could never crank any of those to get a nice sound so they sit untouched and hence the arrival of the Carr. The Carr is just loads of fun at acceptable volume. Surprising what a good sound it has at the half watt or 2 watt setting. Really happy with it.

One day, I tell myself, I will find a good home for the unused gear. They look sad sitting there and I need the space.

Preference: Hand wired tube amp tone for sure, preferably with reverb.

Contradiction: I have a weekend place and I bought a toy for there – the Yamaha THR10. It has "tube emulation" or some such thing. Not a serious contender but it is quite fun to just plug in and dial in a variety of amps. I can also play my acoustics, or a bass through it. It also has a few digital effects which add to the sound quality a bit. Great for practicing – you can input a music source to play along with, like backing tracks – and it is fun when the wife wants to do some sing alongs. She has a wonderful voice. :cute467:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Ldavaz, I have to tell you that the first time I played through a modern Fender solid-state amp, I was surprised at how “Fendery” they sounded. I’ve never been happy with the distortion circuits in any Fender amp, tube or SS, but they really are the standard for clean tone.
And I’m surprised that you don’t enjoy your Mark III more. I pretty much set mine in the sweet spots as indicated in the Owner’s Manual, and that works for most of my gutiars. (It’s available online at the Mesa website in *.PDF format if you don’t have it.) It’s a must read. I typically use the Simul-Class setting about 99% of the time, but the Class A setting is really fun when I can totally crank the amp up.

I have the Mark III 200-watt Coliseum head and a couple of the 412 Half-back cabs. I also have two Mark III combos. The favorite of these is a Red Stripe Simul-Class/Rev/EQ version in blond Tolex/gold grill with a matching 112 Theile. Both speakers are EVM. This color is very rare, much more so than the hardwood cabs. The other one is a basic black, Blue Stripe version, also with Simul-Class/Rev/EQ and a Celestion G-100; and I have a black EVM Theile that I use with this and my Mark IV. The half-stack is a blast to play, but it is VERY dynamic and muscular; the Blue Stripe is definitely edgier with the Celestion and the Blue’s mods; the Red Stripe is just so sweet and creamy.

My favorite power tubes for my Mark Series amps is the Winged C/SED tubes, and I use 6L6s for the Class AB sockets and EL-34s in the Simul-Class sockets. The Mesa-branded tubes work very well also, but I do not like to use JJ power tubes in my combos. And preamp tubes make a huge difference. One of mine has all 12AX7-EH tubes in it (the way I bought it), but the others have a mix of Mesa, EH, JJ and Groove Tubes in them. All JJs will really darken up these amps, too dark for me. If you use MFD pickups, you MUST use a very high quality and non-microphonic tube in V1 due to the high output and wide range. The Mesa SP12AX7 is usually a good choice, but I would try the Tung-Sol, EH and the Mullard-clone for kicks to see if one works best for you.

Usually I pull the Deep switch and the two other Pull Shift knobs, rarely the Bright switches. For metal chunking, the V setting on the Graphic is a must; but I prefer to actually boost the middle 750 Hz slider and the 2200 Hz. I pull down the two bass sliders a bit as well as the 6K slider. That gives my Legacys the thick singing lead tone I love. I run the EQ on the LEAD Channel only, and rarely do I use the gain above 6-7. Reading the Owner’s Manual will give you a better clue as to how the Gain controls interact with the tone controls and the EQ. If you’re using MFD pickups, you may need to rein in the Presence and Treble controls a bit.

The Rhythm 2 channel is problematic for many people, because of the lack of independent tone controls. For live playing, Mesa points out that few people will actually need pristine cleans, crunch rhythms and searing leads. Many Mark III users will switch only between Clean and Lead, or R2 and Lead. The amp works well like this. I find that I like using R2 for some of my jazzier songs. It inherently has a darker voice and a slight boost over Clean, and by backing down my volume on my HB guitar, I get a nice, rich, full, throaty tone from the neck pickup. My Blue Stripe has the R2 Master Volume mod, and it does help to tame this channel, making it easier to match volumes with the other channels. Worth considering.

There are some good web-sites for Mesa users, especially the Boogie Board Forum at http://forum.grailtone.com. There is a wealth of information here, and a lot of Boogie lovers.

Bill

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Sam, I really like the Lonestar amps; I’ve come close to buying a Classic or a Special several times. There’s a Blue Croco covered one on the local Craigslist that is killing me—so cool. Your Univox amp reminded me of the time I went to see jazz greats Herb Ellis and Barney Kessel at a jazz club in Seattle back in the ’70. Here’s two of the greatest players EVAH…and damn, if they weren’t using little 112 Univox solid-state combos. And they sounded fabulous….it must be that thing about having the magic in one’s fingers.

Sprinter, I tried to trade my Marshall for a TubeWorks combo one time. The guy came out to the house and we plugged them in side-by-side. He thought he wanted a Marshall, and HATED my amp. I thought I wanted the MOSFET combo amp, and quickly realized how good the Marshall really was. So, was that a win-win, or lose-lose? I don’t know but I guess it was a good no-deal for both of us. And Hi-Watts are amps that I have always loved, yet they just don’t fit my style at all. Got to try out one of the big 100-watt full stacks back in the day—pretty much had my hair blown back like the girls in the Trojan ads—and it was a glorious experience.

Tim--wow, that is a scary story about (or maybe a shocking story) about that Marathon amp. I’ve had some intense “kisses” off the PA a few times, but nothing like that. I have played a couple of use Dumbles back in the early ’80. They are impressive amps, sweet, dynamic, yet compressed and sustaining like nothing else. Didn’t have the bucks then—don’t have ‘em now. But I do understand the mystique and obsession about these amps.

Darwin, I hear you about 15” speakers. One of my favorite amps has always been the Dual Showman, and I have done some festivals years ago with the big SF versions on the backline. If I ever find a good deal on an unmolested BF head with the correct matching small 215 JBL D-130 cab, I don’t know if could resist.

Eddie, I forgot to add one amp that I owned—a used, beat-up Acoustic 150 head and the matching 610. That was a nice amp, but it was hissy and noisy. I bought it cheap and I only had it for a few months before trading it straight across for a six-month old 1975 ’55 Special Gibson Les Paul—one of the best trades ever. The trick to that amp really was the 610 cab—quick and punchy, these amps were a staple of many Seattle club bands back in the 1970’s, along with Ampeg V-Series, Fenders, Music Man and SUNNs. Both of the Subway amps are pretty cool, and I’m sure the Theile makes it a pretty rowdy 15-watt amp. VERY cool! And a Blue Angel is also on my radar. I’ve seen some 410s lately, but would probably choose between a 112 or the very rare 210. I’ve never heard them side-by-side, but I think the 210 might win out. Blue Angels came out about the same time as the Maverick and the Dual Caliber series. I have a Maverick and DC-3, and it would be nice to complete my set. The BA is the only 6V6 amp Mesa has ever put on the market, but I wish they’d do another.

Fianoman, I know Carr amps are very nice. Played a couple in the store, but the dealer that had them here in town went under. I really like the amps Paul Rivera designed for Fender. I had a Super Champ and a Fender 75. One of my friends had a Twin Reverb II and it was an awesome amp. I’d love to find another Super Champ, Princeton Reverb II or a Deluxe Reverb II, if I could find one cheap enough. But I am so "amp rich" right now, not sure where I'd store it.

Bill

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Bill,
Ah Amps, my favourite subject , actually 2nd to woman, I mean guitars.

You need a small amp. 1953 Fender Tweed
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b56 ... 296791.jpg[/img][/url]
[img]

A big Amp 1962 Fender Bassman

[url=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/anthonymburke/media/1stIPhone163_zpsd2cecc58.jpg.html]Image

And a British Amp. 1962 Vox AC30 Top Boost recovered because the old vinyl wore off completely

Loving the week Bill. What's next?

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 pm

great week Bill !!

I'm not near expierenced as you guy's , had some cheap stuff when I was a kid , my first real amp is a 1971 Kustom Sidewinder JBL I got in the mid to late 1980's , 150 watts of SS through a 15 inch speaker , I still have it , it so powerful I have only ever had it to three on the volume , 1 is loud enough you have to turn the guitar down to play inside the house but it does sound good turned down to low volume , it takes pedals good and I like it

my first tube amp is a Peavey Classic 30 and I keep it in the house and play it every night , my favorite amp is my 1976 Fender Super Reverb , I have a Line 6 spider III 15 watt and hate it , I also have a Vox AC4TV tube amp that is pretty fun to play with at home , I actually been playing the Vox exclusively the last couple days .... I prefer hand wire too , I like the idea of being able to have it fixed if ever needed

here's a amp family shot

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:24 am

haha ! questions for at least 2 weeks lunch reports ! :happy0065: :lol:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:08 am

How did your amp journey begin?
With an awful Peavey Backstage. I'm keen on the newer Transtube Peaveys, but to me the old ones don't sound too good

Worst amp? Best amp? Best deal? Is there one that got away, or one you wish you had back?
Worst - See above! Best is my Sherlock that I don't think I'll ever get rid of, and I'm in negotiations to repurchase a Ceriatone 5E3 that I sold several years ago, just waiting on a paycheck :)

Coolest amp or feature since sliced bread?
I like the built in, switchable pitch vibrato/tremolo on the new Magnatone amps. I've never played or heard the real thing in the flesh, but that's the two effects I like the best.
There's a company in Oz that'll make you an amp of your design, you simply choose from a list of options, much like with a G&L, . They offer pitch vibrato and may get some business from me in the nearish future.

What is your philosophy regarding big amp versus small amp?
Big amp sound great but pain in the ass to lug around. I'm playing bass AND guitar in my current band and have a large bass amp and a large guitar amp. The drummer is only using a snare, so my stuff takes up more room than rest of the band combined :x

Tubes? Solid State? Modelling? Rack units? Midi switching?
Tubes. No contest.

Or have you given up amps for a Line 6 Pod, Tech 21 SansAmp, etc.; or have you gotten rid of your mics and now record directly with a program like Amp
Farm?

Hell no!

Simple is good. I'd like an amp with 3 knobs - volume, tone and reverb. With 5 I'd be done, the other two being 'depth' and 'speed' of a switchable vibrato/tremolo. I acquired a Hughes and Kettner Puretone recently which has a knob on it that progressively dials the EQ section out of the circuit, and to my ears it always sounds its best when set that way. Its incredibly loud though...

Is one amp enough, or does the modern player need a stable of amps for various genres and venues?
One is enough, but not as much fun :thumbup:

Are you happy with your current amp? Why or why not?
I'm very happy with the sound of my current amps, but their size doesn't make load in/out easy, and to that end I'm really looking forward to getting the 5E3 back.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 am

Jamie, tell me more about the Sherlock--I don't know these. Is this what you gig with? How big is it?

Bill

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 am

Boogie Bill wrote: How did your amp journey begin?

I think it was a Yamaha TA-20 with the trapezoidal speaker. Uncle said it was used by the Brothers Four at some point.
That was maybe '74 .

Next was a couple of these, I put 2 8" coaxial car speakers in one. It sounded....raw, in not the best of ways :sick: , but the green mxr delay helped to keep us teens entertained.

I'll have to play ketchup soon, thanks for the good stuff this week Bill (and everyone),

elwood

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:39 am

:happy0065: What a great assortment of toys! LeoF hits the trifecta of vintage goodness. Nice collection you have Fumble.

Sam, I remembered last night that my brother had a Lonestar. Don't get to see him much but when I got to play it last time I visited, it was a wonderful sounding amp.

What is with that wedge Elwood? Does it play the Jetsons theme on its own? :ugeek: I've never seen one.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Jamie, tell me more about the Sherlock--I don't know these. Is this what you gig with? How big is it?

Bill

They're hand made in Melbourne, their website is HERE. The one I have - a Vintage Reverb 30 212 - is a sort of hybrid between a Bassman and an AC30, combining the best bits of both and adding reverb to top it off. Its the best sounding amp I've played through. I bring it to gigs, but take a Peavey to rehearsals. They do a small 15W combo, called the Buddy, that is on my must try list too. I don't imagine that there are any in the US at all, they'd be way to expensive, but here they're priced very well. The Buddy, for example, costs AUS$1250, that's $112 cheaper than the best price I've seen on a brand new Princeton reissue for an amp with far better construction.