Lunch Report for Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 am

From yesterday…

Wow! Some really nice acquisitions!

I like them all, but my favorites are Sprinter's Interceptor (and that Invader!), Ken's Cavalier, Sam's triple-bound sunburst ASAT Classic, Leo's blonde ES335, and Jos' Lacewood Commemorative.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I bought a LOT of stuff this year. In January, I bought a virtually brand new Martin D-18 dirt cheap from a guy that had it only six weeks and decided he needed a smaller bodied guitar. And then in November, added a new Martin D-18 Golden Era that Guitar Center blew out on Black Friday. It was a little shop-worn, but polished up beautifully. Both are amazing guitars: loud, resonant and incredibly responsive.

When GC gave up their Mesa franchise, I was able to pick up one of the last remaining Mark V combos in their system, brand new, and basically for the price of a used amp. Fantastic amp, and I'm having a blast finding new tones. I got that in March, and then bought a matching Mesa 112 Wide-Body Closed Back cab from A# Music Company in Renton, Washington. This Theile-ported cab provides a lot of low-end, and makes for a formidable 1/4 stack. I was also able to get some Mesa tubes at heavily discounted prices from GC.

The final big item was also bought in May, and it came from the Seattle GC there on Westlake. I had seen this lovely new Gibson ES-335 in Vintage Sunburst when I was up there for the Seattle Vintage Guitar Show. It had a repaired break at the headstock--it had been dropped in the store and repaired by their tech. I just had a good feeling about the guitar, even though the repair was not the best cosmetically. After some arm twisting, they finally accepted my offer and shipped it to me here in Portland. I had the repair touched up, and it is just the sweetest guitar--perhaps the best of the three ES-335s I have. A terrific score.

Of course, I had to buy some straps, picks, strings and cleaning stuff. Got a used set of Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Bought a used 6-space SKB rack for the PA, a used Peavey GEQ, a used Alesis SR-16 drum machine for a spare, and a bunch of cables to hook it all up. I actually won a nice Fender braided cable as a door prize at an Open Mic. The only pedal I got this year was the BBE Tremor for doing the Lunch Report in August.

So I had a very good year gear wise. Not sure what I could possibly need in 2015, but I'm sure the GAS will get me at some point. I'm thinking that I may sell the Gibson '59 Historic Les Paul that I bought in January of 2012, and shoot for a '60 Reissue with a slightly smaller neck. I've also got a Mesa Mark III combo amp and Theile cab that I am going to sell, so I may be able to cover the cost of the new Les Paul, if I decide to do that.

I have to get some new pics.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I used to make cables, but cable quality has improved so much, I don't feel the need any more. I am not a cable snob. I have a couple of Mogamis, but tend to use them for the drum machines and the acoustic guitars. I like the Rapco Road Hog RH186 cables that GC sells cheap--good cable at a very good price. I also have some Spectraflex and some Planet Waves cables with the switch in the plug. Those are handy for some applications.

++++++++++++++++++++

And Salmon, I have no beefs with Apple; they build a fine computer. Unfortunately though, Miss Leslie’s accounting software is not available for Apple machines.

Thus the Dell PC.

++++++++++++++++++++

Still waiting for the G&L NAMM pics, and I got to thinking. Hmmm…..(This is always the point where I start getting into trouble…!)

What would I like to find in the G&L booth at the Summer NAMM show?

Call me mad, but I would like to see a Reissue of the first x-body Interceptor. I’d do it with three S-500 MFD’s, the DF Vibrato, and PTB controls.

And then---I’d blow everyone’s mind with a tasty variation of the Gibson Explorer body. I’d load it with the DF and the PTB, but use three of the ASAT’s MFDs. Make it a figured maple over mahogany or ash body, with the standard G&L neck options. The controls would be placed exactly like those on a Legacy, to appeal to Strat players.

And finally, my dreams of a Comanche XII would come true. Three Z-coils, a 1.75” neck with a 12”radius, PTB controls. I’d probably use the Gotoh 12-string bridge, unless they’d be willing to re-tool for a unique 12-string Saddle-Lock. I like the mini-Grovers on my 12-strings, but I’ll bet they could find Schallers that would work. I’m totally convinced that the demand for a Comanche XII would far exceed expectations. (Look for the ASAT version at next year’s show.)

What about you? Any pet projects you’d like to see G&L take on and introduce at Summer NAMM 2015?

Have a great Tuesday!

Bill

Re: Lunch Report for Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 am

I'd like G&L to do sometime out of the box.........different, maybe introduce a compound radius neck, new headstock????

How about a small, boutique, 10-20W, AMP, co-designed with BBE????

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:31 am

Thanks for the kudos Bill.

I saw the Mesa Boogie melt down at a Midwestern state GC and had the opportunity for a Transatlantic 30 combo for an UNBELIEVABLY low price. But alas, had just purchased one of the ASAT's pictured yesterday so no new amp. Sounds like yer Mark V is living up to the reviews, any favorite settings?

2015 NAMM request? The Boogie Bill Signature Comanche XII should draw the biggest crowd on the floor. However, I am still waiting for the ASAT Studio VI. A 4 way switch should be a standard option IMHO. Maybe a Piezo bridge pickup special run. How about announcing the availability of replacement ASAT Super pups? NECK PICKUP: ASAT Special over-wound with 42 gauge wire and BRIDGE PICKUP: ASAT Special over-wound with 43 gauge wire. I know that's just crazy talk there. :evilgrin:

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Hey Sam, excuse my ignorance but what is the 4-way switch covering that the 3 doesn't? Not familiar with it.

Thanks for the posts Bill!

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm

A 4-way switch in a T type guitar with two single coil pickups, provides a 4th tone by combining the two pickups in series like a normal humbucking pickup. This setting has a lot more drive than the normal 2nd position in parallel, while retaining good tonal charactaristics.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

I would like to see twin Pickup P90s or Filtertrons offered and a no pickguared Fallout would be awesome. Lighter weight L-2500 or M 2500 series-- Darwin

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Zippy wrote:A 4-way switch in a T type guitar with two single coil pickups, provides a 4th tone by combining the two pickups in series like a normal humbucking pickup. This setting has a lot more drive than the normal 2nd position in parallel, while retaining good tonal charactaristics.

Thanks Zippy - sounds like it should be the the standard for T-types. I thought it might be something like that - or it was a special setting that made it go to 11. :shocked003:

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Hey Bill,

Imagine being the careless person responsible for snapping a headstock on a new guitar in a shop.

On a positive, Love your energy.

Leo hated it as do my all friends but I looooooooooove it!

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:What would I like to find in the G&L booth at the Summer NAMM show?

I'd like to see a Fullerton-built G&L with a 24.75" scale. Preferably a G-200 reissue, but I'd take anything that wasn't pointy.

Ken

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 pm

I would like to see a 24 fret Invader with a slim body pocket contour for easy reach of the higher frets

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm

I don't get the control plate thing that pervaded the Leo era G&L designs. It worked on a Tele in conjunction with the ashtray bridge plate but moving forward with several new designs it was like trying to bring back the classic fender on cars before the concept had been given time to germinate and catch on with a single model. I think a pickguard looks better if there has to be a cavity cover/plate.

I'd like to see G&L offer beefy bridge pickup options. I have yet to find the exclusive bridge position playable in a stock G&L of any model I have tried. I have not tried every model. Maybe that pickup in the LE-II is the one I don't know. Unfortunately if that is offered standard in a G&L it is a model I do not focus on to acquire. I shall wait for sound samples when people receive their LE-II.

I'd like a couple of refinements in the Fallout. Remove the pickup ring on the humbucker like a Legacy HB. Also offer an optional P90 in the neck position.

Actually, I'd like a dual P90 designed like an SC-2 layout including the absence of a pickguard except I would want the Fallout headstock.

Seems like a few simple tweaks to the existing CNC programming would produce these variations.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:33 pm

I think the WR bridge pu is the best single coil useable bridge pu sound from G&L

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 am

The PTB is a brilliant design that allows me full use of the bridge pickups on all of my Legacy-bodied guitars. Might be an interesting experiment to see how PTB would work on an ASAT.

Bill

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 pm

+1 on the Will Ray pickup. Love it! My favourite bridge pup of all.
I really enjoy the Asat Classic bridge pup too, what a great T-tone that makes.
And also agree about using tone controls more on G&Ls, they really do useful things.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:10 pm

after having my ASAT Deluxe a couple weeks now I'm really happy with the SD bridge pup too , it sounds pretty good on humbucker or single coil on the bridge postion