Thursday 1/16/14 Lunch Report

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 am

It's been nearly a week since anyone has posted a Lunch Report. So I'll step up and post one.

Lunch: Ham sandwich made with real ham, not the processed crap.

G&L: I recently purchased an '88 Asat that has had the original pots, caps & knobs replaced. I typically like to restore modified G&L's back to original or as close as I can get them to original. I have gathered all of the parts to return it stock, but I have an issue. It sounds damn good like it is! Today's question is: Should I restore back to OEM specs or leave it like it is?

Amps: Do you have a preferred power tube? I've decided that my EL-84 equipped amps aren't working for me. I prefer the tone of amps with 6V6 power tubes.

Fun photo: This is the back door of the Buffalo Wild Wings, Blazin' Racin' Team trailer. I'm ready for racing season!

Re: Thursday 1/16/14 Lunch Report

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 am

Sprinter 92 wrote: I recently purchased an '88 Asat

What a Sweetie ! I'm jealous :mrgreen:

Sprinter 92 wrote: but I have an issue. It sounds damn good like it is!

Well, that's 'cuzza all that Black .

Sprinter 92 wrote:Should I restore back to OEM specs or leave it like it is?

I'd play it for some months until I needed a project, just keep the parts in the case...
..after all, racing season is just around the bend :D

Fun Quotes:

"I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that."

"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

— Mitch Hedberg

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 am

Sprinter, I miss the lunch reports too and it is good to see one. I just had some Green Pepper soup (Stuffed Peppers) that Ginny mad a few days ago. Very tasty.

You have asked the question that will get some divided answers! If the guitar sounds good, I would leave it. It is nice to have the original parts if you choose to sell it. I suspect the previous owner changed them for a reason. I think that the question of collect-ability remains to be answered. I suspect that they will not become extremely valuable in my lifetime but who knows at some point in time. I thought the guitar that Jos bought a couple of days ago was advertised very reasonable. My knowledge of the older G&L's is very limited but I have a couple of 88 Fender Strats that would not be sold unless for considerably more than that. If I knew what makes the G&L's more collect-able, I could have made some better choices. I thought that limited build models may be the ticket, but who knows. It seems that JJ has had quite a collection of G&Ls over the years. Keep in mind that I am relatively new to this board.

Edit: I forgot to mention the tubes. I have never had an El tube amp but I am not a fan of Marshall tone if that is what they are. I do like 6L6.

You have an interesting hobby with the racing. A friend of mine who is no longer with us was passionate about racing his, I believe, 87 or 88 Buick Grand National. The car was almost a total rebuild by the time he died. He was a quarter mile guy. Thanks for the LR Sprinter-- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31 am

Sprinter 92 wrote:It's been nearly a week since anyone has posted a Lunch Report. So I'll step up and post one.

Lunch: Ham sandwich made with real ham, not the processed crap.
as yet undetermined. I'm thinking teriyaki something or other..

G&L: I recently purchased an '88 Asat that has had the original pots, caps & knobs replaced. I typically like to restore modified G&L's back to original or as close as I can get them to original. I have gathered all of the parts to return it stock, but I have an issue. It sounds damn good like it is! Today's question is: Should I restore back to OEM specs or leave it like it is?
If it ain't broke.. I don't mind modified guitars, so I'm different that way already. But I definitely would not worry over something like pots, caps and knobs. Except maybe if you don't like the look & feel of the knobs by all means change them back.

Amps: Do you have a preferred power tube? I've decided that my EL-84 equipped amps aren't working for me. I prefer the tone of amps with 6V6 power tubes.
My amp lets me blend between 6v6 and el84. I think the difference is so subtle as to not matter for me (too much pebgas). In amps I have listened to though I generally have liked the 6v6 variety best.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm

If it's sounding good now,surely just keep the parts in a bag so they're safe and clean, and enjoy the guitar without changing anything. If it's good, I wouldn't fiddle.

I agree 100% about the 6V6. It has a character that I really like, and in a push-pull pair is loud enough for almost everything I do. And single-ended Champ-style, it's magic too.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Sprinter thanks for today's lunch report, a welcome sight.

Lunch for me was a trip to IHOP, yum.

If you like the sound I'd stick with but, if it's a matter of "restoring" I would go for it.. Let your ear lead you down the path.

I am pretty much a 6L6 guy who has been spending more and more time with the EL84's on a Boogie Lone Star Special. When I get that elusive Boogie Blue Angel with both 6V6 and EL84's who knows what I will say then! :evilgrin:

Love the back of the trailer. Years ago I went to drag races and stock car races in Riverside CA and was fortunate to go in the pits and some of the backs of trailers are a sight to see. Especially for the youngster I was. :shocked003:

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:11 pm

I love the ASAT. Don't know if I would restore it, but that one rusty screw is driving me crazy! LOL!

I was a Fender Bandmaster 6L6 player who moved to a solid state amp for many years, re-discovered tubes when I bought an original Fender Super Champ with 6V6s back in the late 1980's. I then owned an EL34 Marshall and a several vintage Fenders before discovering the power of a Mesa Boogie Mark III Coliseum head with a 6x6L6 power section. That led to an EL-84 Mesa DC-3, and that led to Mesa Simul-Class Mark III and Mark IV amps using both 6L6 and EL-34 simultaneously, and that let to the 4XEL-84 Class A Maverick 212 And now I have the Mark V combo with 10/45/90 watt settings and the 4x6L6 tubes.

I would have to say, that I would rank them 6L6, 6V6, EL34, EL84 and 6550--but, it really depends on the music, the guitar, the band and the venue. I loved the cranked EL-34 Marshall, and the EL-84s in the DC-3 and the Maverick have a delightful "roundness" to the tone. When I first started playing them though, I missed the "airiness" and bottom end of the 6L6. The old SUNN amps used the 6550, and those are powerful big bottles, but I always preferred the Fender amps for guitar. SUNN's bass amps back in the day were awesome. So, each kind of tube has it's place.

I like the Chicken...reminds me of how I must look when riding with my girlfriend behind the wheel!

Bill

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:41 pm

if your ASAT sounds good I would leave it alone for now , if you have all the parts you can always switch it out later

I'm just now starting to mess with tubes , I sure don't have any recomendation's for anybody , I have had my Peavey Classic re-tubed and I want to change the tube on my Vox AC4TV to get more low end punch but haven't changed anything yet

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:10 pm

As it is that guitar is an example of what just a few new parts on an old G&L can do for the tone. :evilgrin:

I agree that those screws need replacing next.

The chicken reminded me of this:

1. Watch first

[youtube]hibyAJOSW8U[/youtube]

2. Watch after first

[youtube]ZWFGzGJi0xs[/youtube]

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:35 am

Thanks for the LR !
I'd leave the ASAT as it is, if it sounds good, it is good !

As for the tube question, I currently have a Mesa F30 with EL84. I'm bored of the tone of that tube, too much mess. I'm gonna change my amp soon for a 6V6 or 6L6 Fender amp, depends on the 2nd hand market.
I decided to go the boutique pedal way for my overdrive tone, so I need a good clean amp, hence the 6L6 !

Amazing paint job !

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 am

Yeah, that's a Rad colour....

I dig 6V6's too. I have a recent Laney all tube club combo but the one with EL84's Sounds nice but kinda plain. I picked up a 70's vibrochamp last year which to me sounds much nicer although obviously less versatiel. Today plugged in to an 80's Super Champ at my mate's store and tomorrow AM I'm bringing it home. Forgot how good those things sound... Owned those and SF Deluxe & Princeton Reverbs back in the 90's - along with Champs - best small amps IMO. Remember reading a Harmony Central review years ago on Champs/Vibro Champs. The reviewer who may be a member of this board stated he puts line outs on his Champs and that's his gigging rig... and mainly plays '90 ASATs.

Cheers,
KF