Friday 1/10/14 Lunch Report

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 am

Lunch: Today's lunch will be home made potato soup!

G&L Guitars: On Christmas Day, I slipped and fell on the ice. I fractured a vertebrae in the fall. The doctor told not to lift anything over 10lbs. I figured the lighter the better. This has forced me to spend time with my Asat Classic semi-hollow.

When I got the guitar it was a mess. All of the hardware was tarnished or rusty. It had a Hipshot bender on it and even it was a mess. I removed the Hipshot and installed an early Asat Classic bridge that I had in parts inventory. With a lot of work the rest of the guitar cleaned up pretty well.

G&L Question: What G&L guitar are you spending the most time with now?

Amps: Has anyone tried a Splawn, Super Sport amp? When I get healed up, I'll be trading my Top Hat, Club Royale and Peavey, Delta Blues for one. Do you have an amp on your wish list?

Just for fun car question:

Christine, rolls up in your driveway and you're told that you've just become the new owner. Would you keep or sell, Christine? Would you be spooked by seeing Christine in your driveway?

Re: Friday 1/10/14 Lunch Report

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 am

Sprinter, I am having left over ham and bean soup from a ham that Ginny cooked a couple of days ago. It is great!

Nice Classic and who wouldn't like to bond with that one. You have really brought it back to life. How do these people get rusty guitars? They must leave them laying out in the garage. My go to most mornings is the Asat Equatorial Blues boy Alnico which is 6 lbs 2 oz. It sounds great unplugged and is light and so manageable. I am liking them lighter every day!

That is a 59 Mopar and is welcome in my driveway anytime. I had a 59 Plymouth Fury which I had changed the rear differential to a much higher ratio. My speedometer read way fast after the switch and I would give guys a ride, bury the needle deep and the word on the street was not to challenge that one. You can fool some people most of the time! Nice car, is it yours? Hope that you are feeling better.-- Darwin

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 am

ouch, hope you feel better!

Lunch today was left over mexican pie from the other night.

I'm mostly playing my original G&L, the Bluesboy...It sat for a while but its back, great guitar and easy to play, no issues with it.

I'm not really a fan of old cars like that but if Christine showed up, I would definitely keep her.

My dream old car is a 1964 Porsche 356C, hopefully a convertible........

Alf

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:45 am

darwinohm wrote:Nice Classic and who wouldn't like to bond with that one. You have really brought it back to life. How do these people get rusty guitars?

I couldn't believe how bad it was. The pictures on Ebay were poor quality and the rust & tarnish wasn't mentioned in the description. The poly finish came out looking almost new.

darwinohm wrote: Nice car, is it yours?

Nope, it's not mine. I have a 2013 Chevrolet 2500HD that is all mine. I share a 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD with my dad. So I have 1 1/2 trucks. Here's mine:

darwinohm wrote:Hope that you are feeling better.

I'm feeling better every day. I've watched a lot of TV over the past two weeks. I saw you with Scott Wolter about a week ago on TV!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:54 am

astutzmann wrote:
I'm mostly playing my original G&L, the Bluesboy...It sat for a while but its back, great guitar and easy to play, no issues with it.

Nice looking Bluesboy! Is that Spanish copper?

astutzmann wrote:My dream old car is a 1964 Porsche 356C, hopefully a convertible........

Nice car!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:21 am

Hey Sprinter

Wish you a speedy recovery! Up in my part of eastern Ontario, we are covered in sheets of ice... It has been a crazy winter thus far. I am at home today with my daughter, she picked up a bug from school and spent most of the night vomiting. Not fun.

I've spent the most time with my Bigsby's lately....
Both are so much fun to play!

I would certainly keep Christine! What a looker :)
In the summer i bought a 1972 Stang... Which coincidentally Darwin i will be re-gearing in the spring (once the damn snow melts)
She's a fun little ride

Scott

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am

no idea about lunch yet.. I'm still eating my bagel and coffee but waiting for a business call..

I'm sorry to hear about your injury, hope you're feeling better. Once upon a time long ago I was working a night shift in an emergency room and a guy came in, he had fallen off a stool (drunk) at a local pub. As we got more history we learned he had fusions in all but one vertebrae (T11-12 iirc) and guess what he broke?

Your semi-hollow is really nice. Love the grain and color combinations..

I only have one G&L so that is what I spend all my G&L time with:

I'm not much for collecting, and so I'm pondering getting rid of that one. But I am reluctant to do so... When I first got my legacy it I pretty much deprecated the Epi LP I had. But my new build hasn't really killed off my fondness for the G&L. I do still play like to play it. Maybe I will keep 12s on it tuned down a 1/2 step and use 11s on the new one

Christine was the first Stephen King book I read - definitely sell that car... I wouldn't even sit in it once.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 am

gitman001 wrote:
I've spent the most time with my Bigsby's lately....

Nice looking Asat's! I've never owned a guitar with a Bigsby, but I have thought about getting one.

gitman001 wrote:Image
She's a fun little ride

I'm a diehard GM & Mopar fan. Have you noticed the trend to install General Motors, LS engines in Mustangs? There are a bunch of them out there.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:34 pm

yes, spanish copper metallic blues boy, Gun Oil Tint neck

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:38 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:Christine was the first Stephen King book I read - definitely sell that car... I wouldn't even sit in it once.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:01 pm

I think the tinted windows are out of place on an old classic like that. I prefer many advances in technology that contemporary cars come with. I have no room or use for a car I do not drive regularly. I would sell the car.

I have been playing my ASAT Special lately.

Some people sweat more in their hands and some have more corrosive content in their perspiration. These people (everyone) should routinely wipe down after playing then (especially these people) also clean and polish their guitars more often than normal.

Hope your vertebrae heals and you are good as new soon.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Hope your back heals up quickly. I do not envy you guys in North America at the moment, that weather looks terrible. Its sunny, with a light, cool breeze and a perfect 25C here today. Visitors welcome :D

I've been playing my Bluesboy most these last few weeks. The new pickup I installed in the bridge - a Bill Lawrence L298 - is just brilliant. Thinking about getting a second, solid bodied BB one day soon and hopefully there'll be a nice NENA finish model released this year.

If that car is worth as much as a vintage Australian car then I'd sell it immediately. I do love vintage cars but the prices they fetch are plain ridiculous.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 pm

I would love to have Christine , I know a couple paranoid people that I would love to pull in there driveway and rev her up ...lol

with the wife gone for a solid week I brought my amps in the house , sorta a shoot out kinda

these are the three I been diggin the most lately

I'm really loven this thing

you can keep your LS engine's , there's plenty of old camaro's , nova's , Buick's , Pontiac's and chevelles that need them badly , anybody to put one in a Mustang is crazy , and there seems to be plenty of crazy people out there here lately

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:48 am

Sorry to hear about your back. You need to take of yourself, and follow doctor's orders to the letter. Don't set yourself up for worse problems down the line.

I like the Fury!

I have been playing my Martins a lot while on the sofa, especially my new D-18 Golden Era sunburst. What a beautiful guitar! Definitely a dream guitar. It has a big neck, but it has really helped me get my hands stronger. Powerful tone.

And then I have been playing my 335s a lot too. I've been experimenting with the new Mesa Mark V that I got last year. I've always lked Gibsons as an adjunct to my Fender-designed guitars. I have a bunch of Les Pauls, but the 335s may actually be a better fit for me and the band I'm currently in. Very sweet, and so versatile.

We did a New Year's Eve gig and since I've been complaining about the neck on one of my Legacys having a weird profile, I decided to get it out. I hadn't played it for a while so it got the fretboard oiled, a light fret polish and new strings. I realized it needed a slight bridge adjustment and BAM! It played GREAT! I was so happy, and the neck actually felt normal. I used it on the gig and it was perfect. This one is Vintage White with a RW board and matching headstock. The guard is tortoise and the plastic is cream, totally gorgeous.

I feel truly lucky. I'm hoping to gig more this year.

Bill