LR - Thursday January 9th

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:28 am

Hi Everyone:

Not sure what's for lunch today but with the cold weather, I had home made chicken noodle soup yesterday and it was terrific.

G&L Question

Anyone know if G&L will be at NAMM this year and any guesses as to what they would announce? I wonder if the "First" on the LE-2 will be announced as a new feature for FY14.

Any thoughts as to G&Ls plans for FY14 that are different or new?

I must add that all the pics of the LE-2 and the other guitars coming out of the factory, are stunning. Their finishing process is second to none and the guitars are all looking amazing!!!

NON G&L question

I have a new hobby, long story but I was just volunteered into a new hobby and here it is.

I took this boat on sunday and since then have been researching the internet about RC sailing and have changed the sails, cleaned the boat, added the pinstripes and fixed all the rigging (boat is 8 years old).

Today I am replacing the electronics in it as I bought a new remote controller and need to install the receiver in the boat...its all new to me, but I'm learning.....I used to be an networking engineer in a past life, so that knowledge is helping.

First sail is on saturday, the guys who got me into this have entered me in a race, ha that should be interesting. I have taken sailing lessons in the past and sailed several real boats, but I think this will be different.

Anyone else have a new hobby or thinking about a new hobby this year?

Re: LR - Thursday January 9th

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 am

astutzmann wrote:Anyone else have a new hobby or thinking about a new hobby this year?

I have a new hobby I got started with last fall. I'm rebuilding and collecting Maytag Multi-Motors. The Multi-Motors were built from 1915 to 1952. They were used to power washing machines, cream separators, well pumps etc. on farms across rural America. Here's a picture of my 1929 Maytag, Model 92 running.

This spring I'm planning to buy an Allis Chalmers C tractor to restore.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 am

Those are awesome....when I was 15, my mom and dad had 5 coin laundries and they trained me to be the repair guy. I repaired and rebuilt frigidair and may tag washers and commercial dryers.

Was a cool job for a young guy! At 16 I had my mom's car (1975 Chevy Vega), with the trunk filled with parts and the back seat filled with tools and I would drive around to all the coin laundries every day and fix whatever was broken....

I hada commercial frigidair washer for myself for over 20 years.

Cool!!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 am

NAMM: Craig said he would be seeing G&L Dave at NAMM to ask about upcoming models so unless it is just a meet at the snack bar thing G&L will be a vendor.

No hobbies other than music, guitar & keyboard.

I've always thought remote control planes and boats would be a lot of fun.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Alf, we had lunch after a funeral today.

AGB will be at NAMM so I will find out from Tim what is going on. I suspect the cost for displaying at NAMM is pretty steep. I am surprised the LE 2s haven't showed up yet.

That is a cool hobby Alf. A friend of mine who winters in Florida has been doing the RC sailing for a few years. These guys have some pretty serious rigs and are passionate about it. They have a great time and it is almost like getting into guitars. Beautiful rig that you have. A retired friend of mine has been a model railroad guy for years and his basement is half taken up with an elevated display that is gorgeous and no doubt expensive. Sprinter, that is a cool Maytag. We had one on the washing machine when I was a kid. They were dependable. A retired friend of mine collects tractors. He has more than 20. He has asked me "how many guitars can you play at one time"? I ask "How many tractors can you drive at one time" He just smiles. Be sure to give us the race report. Just don't crash it the first time out!-- Darwin

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Love the big sail boat Alf! We gave a speed boat version to my father in law a few years back that always gets a work out when we visit for holidays. Need to figure out how to juice it up however, we want more speed.

Sprinter, my only involvement with washers is to occassionally through clothes in one. My son has a friend whose grandfather collects and restores tractors (expensive hobby), and they run them in the local parades and show them at the county fair. His eleven year old son (my son's friend) has definately gotten an early start learning about restoring engines and driving, very cool. 8-) All restored those are beautiful machines.

No new hobbies this year, hope to just play more guitar.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 am

America looks sooooooo COLD soup sounds great .
No new hobbies for me this year but more time getting better at singing and guitar .
Thanks Alf,
Anthony

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:19 am

astutzmann wrote:
Any thoughts as to G&Ls plans for FY14 that are different or new?

I had to think for a second; is there a new model called the FY14 ? :?:

astutzmann wrote:I took this boat on sunday and since then have been researching the internet about RC sailing and have changed the sails, cleaned the boat, added the pinstripes and fixed all the rigging (boat is 8 years old).

Cool stuff, I've never really sailed , I bet it's addicting. One of those GoPro camera's would make for fun footage .
If you were to put a little plastic captain on the front, who would it be? (cartoon character,superhero?,...)

astutzmann wrote: Anyone else have a new hobby or thinking about a new hobby this year?

I've been woodworking . Here's some cool stuff I watched yesterday...It's inspired me to try something similar,
maybe with speaker applications (folded horns on different scales).

(The vids a little long, scroll to the end to see some of his finished pieces)
[youtube]LtgbNyHRFGA[/youtube]

There will be some guitars completed this month I bet, just playing with designs...of course using 3 bolt G&Ls as inspiration.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:22 am

wow, that's beautiful stuff.

I put the flying superman decal on the back of the boat!!! That'll do. First sail tomorrow, got the new transmitter and receive working, cool!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

astutzmann wrote:G&L Question

Anyone know if G&L will be at NAMM this year and any guesses as to what they would announce?

Yes, G&L/BBE will be at Winter NAMM and will again share a space with Rivera Amps. As I did last year,
I will post photos and details, when I return. 2014 Winter NAMM dates are 1/23 thru 1/26. Here's my post
from last year: Winter NAMM 2013 - G&L/ BBE. I have no details on what they will be showing this year.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 pm

thx Craig, looking forward to it.