Lunch Report January 1, 2014

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Hey everybody,

Happy New Year! Let 2014 bring good things to you and your loved ones.

I am getting ready to go out and clear snow again. It is still coming down and looks pretty cool out there. The snow is light and I have been moving it with a push broom which has been easy. I have the week off from work and besides playing in the snow I was thinking about getting an amp out of storage. It has been packed up since downsizing our life last year. What it comes down to is that I have the week off, have no income this week and I am just looking for fun free stuff to do. Playing my guitar, keeping the sidewalks and driveway clear of snow and cat companionship are all that I have come up with so far. Oh Yeah, and hosting the lunch report!

The color of the Rampage that showed yesterday was purple. I found that guitar up in Madison Wisconsin many moons ago. Some folks emailed me about the color. Its very nice. No pics today because my assistant is not here today to do it for me. Yes I am very bad at that.

I will surely have some pictures tomorrow including one of this snow we have.

Lunch: Don't get me started.

G&L Talk: I have a feeling 2014 will be another good year for G&L. They put out some great guitars in 2013 with interesting woods and finishes. G&l should put together a pictorial of the best they produce every year. How about the top 20 sweetest guitars to pass through the shop every year voted by the workers. How cool would that be? Top 100?

Question: Is there any G&L guitar that you have seen recently that sticks out as a candidate for a top 20 list? My vote would be for that sparkly, Z coiled guitar with the clear pick guard we saw a couple of weeks back. What a beautiful way to show off great work!

O.K. I will try to get this amp up and going and clear snow once again. Its a great way to get fresh air and exercise. I keep on telling myself that.

outa here,

y2kc

Re: Lunch Report January 1, 2014

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:31 pm

y2kc wrote:Question: Is there any G&L guitar that you have seen recently that sticks out as a candidate for a top 20 list? My vote would be for that sparkly, Z coiled guitar with the clear pick guard we saw a couple of weeks back. What a beautiful way to show off great work!
y2kc
You are not going to get away with mentioning a candidate without showing the guitar you are talking about. For y2kc. I'll return later on after tracking something down for myself.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:41 pm

thats a beauty for sure and get's my vote too !! , That should be a option for bath tub route guitars with big flake sparkle.....

For 2014 ??.... hopefully my Buck Owens will be up there in the running for 2014 but who knows ??... it's still early

great LR this week , even though I didn't have much to offer I enjoyed reading it

Eric

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Happy New Year! BTW.

2014 could be the year we all receive wonderful weather plenty but not too much water for everything to drink up and flourish, world peace and happiness, and financial stability and windfalls.

I still think of Xavier's S500 Deluxe prototype as a candidate for my top G&L of 2013. It was built in February.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:57 pm

yep that's a beauty too !!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm

It's snowing heavily here in Northwest Missouri. I just let the snow cat in:

She doesn't let the weather stop her. If she wants out, she'll go out without a fight.

G&L, has produced a bunch of great looking guitars. Flame top and sparkle guitars always look great. I also like solid color guitars too. It's kind of plain but I like it. Here's my Fullerton Red with mint pickguard 2013 Bluesboy.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Fullerton Red on that guitars is perfect.I wish I had a Bluesboy and I wish I had one like that. All the guitars so far get my vote. The s-500 is just stunning. I forgot that the sparkly guitar was a Will Ray. I had an early Will Ray that I regret selling. The pickups were interesting and I wish I had it now.

That cat looks tiny. My cats will not go out since we moved closer to town and that is a good thing. Too much traffic and right now it is pretty cold.. They have gained about 80 pounds each.
Driveway and walkways shoveled again and it is still snowing.

y2kc

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:29 pm

y2kc wrote:That cat looks tiny.

She's far from tiny. She weighs 16lbs.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm hoping to see some cool stuff from G&L in 2014, maybe some things affecting the feel and playability of the instruments added to the option list - rolled fingerboard edges and perhaps a contoured heel for starters. I'd much rather see this than a new model.

Another +1 for Patricks outrageous Z3. Killer guitar. And I agree with Fullerton Red being great. Here's my LB100 in said colour and with the satin frost top coat. It plays very nicely and IMO should be in this top 20 of 2013 :D

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 am

Thank you , I have just realised post Leo ,G & L are still the best guitar company ever . They make great guitars and Xavier's is an amazing example .
I'm still a Leo, Dale and George loving company though.
But I will always wish The current G & L the very best .
All my best
Anthony

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Boy am I glad to see the back of 2013! This new year is the first in a long while that I've actually looked forward to.

I'm with Blarg, some options to do with playability would be at the top of my wish list. I like the range of neck profiles and nut widths on offer at the moment; as far as different models go, there are so many to choose from that I reckon G&L has a great balance between "set menu" and "full custom shop".

Another vote for Xavier's S-500 for the top 20 of 2013, it's just gorgeous.

Edit: I'm revising my wish list - a "Comanche deluxe" (no pickguard) would be a nice addition to the lineup, but would probably only appeal to oddbods like me :ugeek:

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:32 pm

A "Deluxe"-type routing program for Z-coils? Oh YEAH!
Make mine an Asat Z-2 "deluxe", 2 pups, WR back pup, ash with a maple top...
Also the back-pickup-only version, with a WR pup (the "Hellesquire" deluxe? The "WR Junior"?) would be sweet.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:21 pm

I have been gone. Glad to see that someone else is getting snow! We have plenty, now if only we could ship the cold weather somewhere else.

If G&L continues what they are doing they will do just fine. It is hard to pick a top 20 as they are all very nice. The Savannah Asat bass could be a candidate. G&Ls vary so much in woods that there are almost no two alike other than if you get a solid color. -- Darwin

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm

G&L's have so many nice guitars and colors ...... One of my favorite color's in the sun light has to be ruby red , take it out of the light and it looks dull

sun light picture

no sun light picture

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:46 pm

NickHorne wrote:A "Deluxe"-type routing program for Z-coils? Oh YEAH!
Also the back-pickup-only version, with a WR pup (the "Hellesquire" deluxe? The "WR Junior"?) would be sweet.

Those are some sweet ideas for some Deluxe Zeds :)

Hey, Blarg, I was flicking through some vids on YouTube this arvo and came cross this one - at 2:13 it says that they do rolled fretboard edges, I wonder whether that's still the case...?
[youtube]Wnjw1JIy7XY[/youtube]

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 pm

patricks wrote:Hey, Blarg, I was flicking through some vids on YouTube this arvo and came cross this one - at 2:13 it says that they do rolled fretboard edges, I wonder whether that's still the case...?

Yes, they still do. Here's the first model that they started doing them for, in 2004:

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Good to know, thanks :thumbup:

Now, about those deluxe z-coils... ;)

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 pm

a 24 fret Invader with contoured heel would be real cool

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:15 am

NickHorne wrote:A "Deluxe"-type routing program for Z-coils? Oh YEAH!

+1

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 am

All those guitars are beautiful! Keep em coming!

y2kc

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:48 am

What would be the advantage of two pick ups over three ??

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 pm

2 pups vs 3:
It's just personal, but for me:
I like the late Bill Lawrence's "controlled out-of-phase" two-pup circuit every bit as much as the usual Strat-type in-betweens.
It gives my picking fingers some room.
It gives less magnetic sustain-suck on my notes.