Lunch Report December 30, 2013

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

[thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb]

Hello G&L players and collectors worldwide,

My name is Casey also known as y2kc here on this site. I have been a member here for a while now and have actually hosted this lunch report a few times. My thanks go out to Craig for allowing me another chance. I am a better player than talker about guitars and I am a pretty crappy player. What I mean is that I don't post much here because I am just boring. I really like to hold and play a guitar and not so much tell people what I think.

This is my first attempt at posting pictures on this forum. Remember no guitars were harmed during these photo sessions and that they are all over 18 years old. These photos are for your pleasure and not safe for work.

If everything works and these photo's actually took root in cyberland then we should have two beautiful examples of Leo's work. A left handed Comanchi with "s" coils and and rare 3 single coil Interceptor in yellow and gold. Yes I said yellow and gold!

If photos do not appear than my wife's going to hear about this and she will be in big trouble. Did I mention that she likes G&L's even more than I do? Probably didn't.

Lunch: I can't eat one more bite of ham or turkey. There is a pizza in the fridge that has nothing to do with Christmas and I am eating it as soon as my wife goes to work.

G&L talk: Lets talk about those two guitars!

Take care and turn up that amp!

Casey

Re: Lunch Report December 30, 2013

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Yes it worked! I read a description yesterday of the little switches used on these guitars. They were referred to as "hippie switches". Do you have any hippie switches on your G&L guitars?

The oven is warming and my thin crust will soon be all ready for consumption. I do believe it is 5:00 somewhere this is being read so I should most likely have a beer as well.

Thanks for looking,

y2kc

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi Casey, thanks for stepping up this week.

I'm not much into pointy guitars but that Interceptor is beautiful.

Your wife like G&L's more than you? Wow, are there anymore like her where you live?

I'm on holiday so hope I get time to check in this week. There's a huge food festival on in Hobart this week and lunch today will be something from one of the stalls, hopefully a gourmet Turkish kebab.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

y2kc wrote:[thumb=]Image

That's a fine looking Interceptor! :happy0065: There is one in my area that is the same color as yours. It's been a few years since I last saw it. It was in rough shape. Interceptor's sure came in some odd color combinations. I have a white one that is rough and a purple & black one that is nice shape.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:00 pm

y2kc wrote:
G&L talk: Lets talk about those two guitars!

That Comanche is beautiful !!There was some nice Ash in the 80's G&L stash. I just noticed it has a righty neck ??Neato :thumbup:

I'd be tempted to put a black crinkle lefty guard on it.
This one wouldn't work .
It would look good on my righty even if the screws were a bit proud, what do you guys think?

ebay link

Here's a SSH I had at one time:

...and a cool SSS ...just a pic I had on my HD:

y2kc wrote:I read a description yesterday of the little switches used on these guitars. They were referred to as "hippie switches". Do you have any hippie switches on your G&L guitars?

Funny, these switches are for 'Mellow Filters' :smoking030: ...and Alembics are known as hippy sandwiches.

Are there any stories behind your rarebirds ?

Nice start to the end of compensated LR's. I'll admit I was hoping for another pedal in March when I would be eligible again.
I'd do 2 months LR's straight for a new S-500 :evilgrin: :lol:

elwood

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Thats the exact gold G&L need to add to the colour options!

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Casey,

Good to hear from you! And those are some fine guitars you show off there. Although I'm not into Interceptors (you have to know your limitations and cannot collect everything), if that one was purple and gold I would have tried to wrangle it from you just because it would have the UW Huskies colors ;)

The shape of the these Interceptors is nevertheless incredibly sleek. Very much a product of its time too of course to appeal to all the 'Big Hair' bands of the day. And Leo's version of the micro-adjust DFV is nothing to sneeze at too. I'm still searching for an appropriate ASAT with such a contraption on board. You have quite the rarity on your hand there, but knowing some of the guitars that have been in your collection, I shouldn't be surprised.

Similar rarity for the lefty Comanche VI with righty pups. I'm wondering what the sonic differences would be if you'd A/B that one with a righty Comanche VI. How much difference would it make that the pups could not be mirrored?

Talk to you later,

- Jos

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Casey, beautiful guitars. I would especially love to hear that cool Comanche VI. You have a couple of sweet ones. The swamp ash is beautiful on the Comanche. G&L has always used some beautiful woods. You will never convince me that looks don't count! I have had only one G&L with the little toggle sw. All the others are push pull pots.I did have a Brian May with all the switches for a short time. They did work!

You have the last week of official lRs and you are off toa good start. End of the year already and I am loading up for the next two days. It was 48 Degrees here a day ago and is way below zero tonight. It was -37 in Effie Mn this morning. That gets rid of the bad stuff! Happy new year everyone. -- Darwin

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Casey--

Really cool guitars--all of them. I like the Interceptor and had forgot about them. I down with the beer. Thanks for reminding me.

LPD

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Casey,

Thanks for jumping in as LR this week, I am with you on the turkey and ham sentiment.

Love the Interceptor pics. Have always wanted one but they're just not shaped like an ASAT :lol: Now an ASAT Z3 with Comanche VI switching would be right up my alley.

The only thing close to hippie switching I have is on a ASAT Deluxe where an additional push pull was added to split pups independently.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:50 pm

sam wrote: Now an ASAT Z3 with Comanche VI switching would be right up my alley.

That should be a custom creations model someday.

IIRC Will had a MacSAT with lots of hippie switching,
maybe someone will know where to find a pic of it.
edit: found this-
Last edited by Elwood on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Elwood wrote:
sam wrote: Now an ASAT Z3 with Comanche VI switching would be right up my alley.

That should be a custom creations model someday. IIRC Will had a MacSAT with lots of hippie switching,
maybe someone will know where to find a pic of it.

Here you go:

I think it should be Will's next Signature model. ;)

:ugeek:

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:27 am

Hey Casey,
Looking forward to what you have to say this week.
Is that my (future) Interceptor?
Thanks
Anthony

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 am

Thanks guys, I have that picture somewhere and could not get to it. Mac's Will Ray future sig model could be my ultimate ASAT. That would bring in the new year with style!! :elguitar054: