LR For December 27, 2013

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Took the day off today to spend with the fam. We just got done with....

LUNCH

Fish and chips at one of our favorite spots. Everyone got the same thing. It was Ggggggreasy.

G&L KILLER TWEAK

I do the same two things everyone else does probably. I put a big orange drop capacitor in the tone circuit. In the setup, I escalate the strings by .001 one-by-one from the high E. I have tried staggering the strings to bend to the radius of the neck, and that didn't work so hot for me. I have said before, I usually block the trem, but haven't done that on any G&L's I currently own. What's your little secret?

YOUR NON G&L DARKSIDE; THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

I am hooked on G&L's, particularly my 1990 ash/rosewood ASAT. For sentimental reasons, I wish I had the Les Paul Deluxe I bought new in 1972 and the HIWATT 2 X 12 that I went to London and bought. I sold them both in Seattle in 1980 for practically nothing. Arrgh!!! That was the last time in my life I played guitar for 12 hours a day. Know what I mean? If you have another go-to guitar, what is it? Alternatively, what's the biggest regret you have in terms of equipment sold or stolen?

WHAT IS YOUR NEW YEAR'S REVOLUTION??

I want to get in better shape and not drink as much, not that I'm Otis from Andy Griffith, but if I keep going the way I'm headed.... How about you? What's new for 2014?

To coin Don Cornelius at the end of every Soul Train episode, it's been a stone-cold gas. Peace, love and soul.

Regards,

Les

Re: LR For December 27, 2013

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Mmmm, fish and chips...
Lunch for me was boring - protein shake and an orange. Trying to shed some midsection before getting fitted for a new set of motorcycle leathers.

G&L killer tweak
My Tribute Comanche is my first G&L, so no real pearls of wisdom from me. A proper setup has it playing great and the hand cut bone nut I had put in made an enormous difference, though.

Non G&L darkside
My other go-to guitar is a classical guitar and I absolutely love it. Wouldn't let it go if I were homeless and it was my last possession in the world. Haven't got any "one that got away" stories, I'm pretty sentimental when it comes to gear so when I get stuff it's usually cos I absolutely love it and I don't let it go. I did sell my original classical guitar, but I wasn't so attached to it.

New Year's resolution
More music!! And in a more fun way, too. I've been trying to get more into music over the past couple of years, but I did it in a way that wasn't fun - expecting too much progress too quickly and not enjoying just playing. Looking back, though, I've taken singing lessons, learned a lot about recording, got my first G&L, built some pedals and an amp (I keep meaning to post pics on the project page...), so it's all been good ground work. I'm still hoping to at least finish a 3-song EP and play some gigs by the end of 2014, but my resolution is to make sure that I'm OK with it if I end up just continue to lay groundwork.
Oh, and I need to join in with the community and respond to more Lunch Reports! :D

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:11 pm

I fried up ham and eggs for breakfast. No lunch as we removed the carpeting from Ginnys salon and prepared for the new carpet tomorrow.

I think that the G&L killer tweak in my case is in the setup. Mine are just as I like them and that makes them special sweet. Very low action, low relief and they just play! The tube amp doesn't hurt either.

If I had to pick a go to guitar it would be difficult. It is easier for my basses. My Carvin Koa is what I would pick if I had to select a bass. It has tone and a very nice neck. An Asat hollow body 5 string would be killer if they were available. I wish I hadn't sold my bass rig from the 60s. A gibson EBO and a brown face Fender Bassman.

I haven't done New Years resolutions for years. If I were to make one, it would be to have even more fun! Great week Les, thanks for taking the reins! -- Darwin

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Veggie plate with ranch dressing for lunch, going lite after last few days.

No killer tweaks from me, set er up and go!

A few "one's that got away". Biggest was a 78 tele stolen in 94 that was about to be sold and to fund a ASAT Commemorative. Never got the 78 back and had to cancel the ASAT that was delivered to the shop. Only other one was a 69 tele that I could pick up for dirt cheep and when I went back two days later it was gone. But hey, I have enough one's I scored at a great price :thumbup:

Only resolution this year will be to prioritize time with family over time with work, more fun for all. :banana:

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:39 pm

G&L KILLER TWEAK

I do the same two things everyone else does probably. I put a big orange drop capacitor in the tone circuit. In the setup, I escalate the strings by .001 one-by-one from the high E. I have tried staggering the strings to bend to the radius of the neck, and that didn't work so hot for me. I have said before, I usually block the trem, but haven't done that on any G&L's I currently own. What's your little secret?

The two things everyone else does???????? Maybe I'm unique.
I have no idea what a big orange drop capacitor in the tone circuit would do. I have no problem with the way the factory tone controls work on my ASAT Classic.

As far as raising the strings, I tend to prefer a bit lower action--after a few months when I figured everything on the ASAT had a chance to settle, I had my luthier do a full setup and had the strings lowered a bit--the saddles do follow the contour of the fingerboard radius--I can't imagine why that would present a problem unless you're playing slide.

I don't have a guitar with a trem, but I don't know why you would buy a trem equipped guitar only to block it -- I would buy a fixed bridge to begin with.

The early '70 all mahogany Guild D-25

The '60s Guild Thunderbird

Mid '60s Gibson ES-335 12 string--(strung with 6 strings)( identical to the 6 string version with headstock and bridge different)

Mid '60s Gibson ES-125 TC 3/4 size

I like your typo--or was that a result of auto-correct?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 pm

lesdavaz wrote:G&L KILLER TWEAK

What's your little secret?

I don't mod any of my G&Ls. If I acquire one that isn't stock, I do my best to restore it. Otherwise, I just set it up as nicely as possible. For the guitars, I set them up with the string gauge that I think will suit the neck and pickups the best. For the basses, I try to match the string set (brand and gauge) to the pickup(s) and the style of music I will be playing on it.

lesdavaz wrote:YOUR NON G&L DARKSIDE; THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

If you have another go-to guitar, what is it? Alternatively, what's the biggest regret you have in terms of equipment sold or stolen?

I don't have any other go-to guitars, but I have some go-to basses. My fretless Warwick Corvette is more playable to me than my fretless L-2K, so it gets that part of my playing time. I only wish it looked as nice as the L-2K. Since G&L has never made a short-scale bass, the EB-0 gets that part of my playing time. My PRS is one of the only basses I keep round wounds on, so it gets attention on those occasions that I want something other than flats.

I don't really have any regrets about selling or trading instruments. I traded a mid-70s Strat for a bass amp back in '82; the amp is now worth what it sold for ($400), while that guitar has gone up 5-10 times in value. I have gotten much more enjoyment out of the amp than I ever would have from the guitar, not to mention that my '86 Skyhawk leaves that old Strat in the dust. I also traded a '65 Mustang for a shiny new '86 Ovation acoustic back in college. The Mustang never felt very good in my hands, but the Ovation has given me years of pleasure.

lesdavaz wrote:WHAT IS YOUR NEW YEAR'S REVOLUTION??

How about you? What's new for 2014?

Resolutions never work out for me, but I have been reading a book that my oldest son really loves and noticed some traits I dislike in myself showing up in the bad guys. I am trying to be mindful of those traits and make them fade away. It wasn't a resolution, but it happened just before New Year's Eve so I'll count it as one now. I am also going to try to force some more physical activity into my daily routine. I don't have much of a problem being active in warm weather (between kayaking and coaching youth rugby), but winter weather saps my motivation.

I am also going to try to shift my musical focus this year from collecting instruments to making good music. I'm not sure whether that will be playing with others, or just recording the kind of ambient music I enjoy listening to. Whichever one (or both) works out the best, I'll be happy with.

Ken

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 pm

tweaks: I don't have any to speak of.

The one that got away: When I was looking for an ASAT Classic I found what I wanted and the price was very good on EBAY. After mulling it over in my head while at work I was ready to pay the Buy It Now price and lock in the sale. When I got home I found out that the guy had ended the auction early taking an offer for less than the Buy It Now. He must have been desperate for money. Later out of fear of losing the opportunity I ended up buying two guitars at almost the same time and immediately sold one after choosing the best between them. As it turned out the ASAT Classic I kept was my favorite guitar until a special order turned out to play and sound even better.

New Year's Resolutions: I don't usually practice such things. If you are going to do something you are ready when you are ready. That is, you begin immediately or you have practical reasons for setting a date like not having the material(s) until such time or not being finished with another project that will free up time. But it can be fun using New Years as the turning point when you do it with friends.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:09 am

lesdavaz wrote:Took the day off today to spend with the fam. We just got done with....

LUNCH

Fish and chips at one of our favorite spots. Everyone got the same thing. It was Ggggggreasy.

G&L KILLER TWEAK

I am hooked on G&L's, particularly my 1990 ash/rosewood ASAT. For sentimental reasons, I wish I had the Les Paul Deluxe I bought new in 1972 and the HIWATT 2 X 12 that I went to London and bought. I sold them both in Seattle in 1980 for practically nothing. Arrgh!!! That was the last time in my life I played guitar for 12 hours a day. Know what I mean? If you have another go-to guitar, what is it? Alternatively, what's the biggest regret you have in terms of equipment sold or stolen?

I want to get in better shape and not drink as much, not that I'm Otis from Andy Griffith, but if I keep going the way I'm headed.... How about you? What's new for 2014?

To coin Don Cornelius at the end of every Soul Train episode, it's been a stone-cold gas. Peace, love and soul.

Regards,

Les

Biggest regret has to be my '61 Gibson SG. Bought in a Dallas Pawn shop in 64. cracked and repaired neck, but still very playable. Funky sideways vibrato. Sold it to a band mate when we broke up. Went to heaven with him in Viet Nam. I'm sure he's still rocking with it. In terms of amps...a post '68 post Leo (read that CBS) Super Reverb. Sweet amp, but lost in the fog of the late '60s. Left it somewhere, forgot about it, and it now is the prize possession of some aging hippie who can't remember where he got it. lol