Lunch Report, Wednesday March 24th, 2010

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:11 am

Okay then....Wednesday it is.

Thanks for some great responses yesterday.

Lunch today: wish it were more inspiring....tuna and spinach salad.
As a family we spent the weekend out of town. After smoked prime rib at GoodWood BBQ
and assorted other good eats I'm just now getting my system back in line.

Today's question is a bit of a follow up to the previous day's....
In a creative group this size there has to be some interesting avocational interests.
I love to hear about hobbies and side interests.

I grew up hunting ducks but these days I prefer to just watch them.
I still do appreciate the lore and history of duck hunting. To that end I have been really engrossed in wood carving for many years.
It's on the back burner for now but I hope to get back to it.
Shawn500 might know a bit about this as the Cajun carvers of Bayou La Fourche in Louisiana are world famous and a great inspiration to me.
I also use Tupelo wood which I get from Louisiana.
Here are a couple birds.

Question is: What else do you enjoy besides work and guitar/music?
Fishing, wood working, collecting macrame owls...what?

G & L content: Sorry got nothing today other than looking forward to practicing with the band tomorrow.
I know this is weird but dang that Legacy smells good...nice to open the case and play a little.

Re: Lunch Report, Wednesday March 24th, 2010

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:20 am

Nice!.
Yeah, I've seen some nice duck carvings down here. Those that you posted are really sweet.

Other interests besides guitars.
Probably the thing I do most besides playing guitar would be video games.
I came up in the heyday of video games. Both arcades and console games played a huge part in my adolescent and teenage life. These days I mainly play my Xbox360, but we also have a PS3. I am in a gaming clan that consists of over 25 year olds. My wife is a gamer as well, so we can share that interest, and frequently take out whatever frustrations by virtually "killing" one another in a game. :lol:
Besides gaming, I love to read. I try to read a couple of books a month. I read mainly science fiction and horror, but I also love history books as well.

I know what you mean about the smell of a G&L. I love that smell!
From what I understand it's the case glue. Whatever it is, I love it everytime I open the case.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 am

Besides guitar, I enjoy photography, astronomy, and fishing. A quiet day on the lake when the fish are biting is fantastic! I love the nights when the air is so clear the sky is like black velvet. That's the time to get out the telescope, have a couple of beers, and just scan the heavens.

Here's a bass from one of my favorite fishing spots:

And, here's a montage of Mars, the Moon, and Jupiter:

RickT

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:42 am

Cool astronomy pics, Rick! I love astronomy, but have no telescope or even a good place to watch, since I live in the city. I spent 6 years in the African bush and man, those skies were to die for! I miss that so much...I spent a lot of time with star charts and binoculars there! I'd love to get into it again, maybe get my daughters interested. My 7-yr old was pretty excited when I pointed out Mars to her a couple weeks ago!

Very nice ducks, Jazzrat! You are very accomplished, I'd say!!

I've recently gotten into woodworking. Built a number of guitar cabs (1x12, 2x12, head, 1x12 combo). I've also done some furniture projects, most recently some end tables...pretty simple, but I'm pleased with how they've turned out. I've got one that's all put together that I need to stain and poly once it warms up a bit more. Here's the first one I built.
And a couple guitar cabs:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Nice looking birds! My father has been carving decoys for years so I've seen some of the time
and effort involved. I've also seen the price some people charge for a nice decoy! ca-ching! You could
fund a lot of GAS with the price of some of those decoys.

In the winter I like to go skiing, althought I didn't do much this year. When it warms up I like to go boating
on a nearby lake. I also like to do some backpacking but thats more of a solo thing as the wife and kid aren't
into that. Of course there's also reading to relax. I've been on a non-fiction kick the past couple years, mostly
biographies and pop-science type things.

Jeff

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I like to write, I'm writing a novel although most of the time I write about art and that sort of thing. Its good. I also enjoy going to galleries and museums and on Friday will be going to the theatre to see a Shaulin monk show with a set designed by Antony Gormley.
As well as playing guitar I'm always tinkering (tone chasing) and right now am designing a new guitar with a body shape based on a sort of cross between a Tele and a PRS. Although that might change! I'm also learning German.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 pm

jazzrat wrote:I grew up hunting ducks but these days I prefer to just watch them.

It seems that such sentiments come with age. I don't know if I'd even enjoy fishing as much as I use to. Rick T's bass is a nice one. I used to fish for largemouth bass a lot about 20 years ago.

jazzrat wrote: Question is: What else do you enjoy besides work and guitar/music?
Fishing, wood working, collecting macrame owls...what?

Windsurfing is my passion. Having to be out of the water due to surgery is killing me. I've got another month to go. Yesterday was a very nice day to have been out on the Pacific. :music002:
I still have a pocket watch collection, comprised of mostly American Railroad watches, but guitar has taken the lead. Here's a non railroad grade pocket watch that, nonethless, is quite striking. It's 5 color 18k gold. I wish that I could lay claim to having been the one who made it. But alas, it was a company called Golay, Leresche, and Fils, a Swiss maker, around the beginning of the 20th century. Image

I don't read as much as I should. I've got a hobby car sitting in the garage but just don't like working on the darn things as much anymore. So, I might get rid of that project, as it's still in major project condition. I should let some kid take it so he can have some fun, if kids work on cars anymore. It's a '87 BMW 535is. It's an almost certainly destined to become collectible, but is not really there yet.

jazzrat wrote: I know this is weird but dang that Legacy smells good...nice to open the case and play a little.

That's G&L -related enough for me. That said, I don't know that I've equated any particular small to my G&L's. My '84 Alvarez has the aroma of what I think is the perfume that the girl I bought it from wore. She was a nice looking woman. No wonder I jump its bones so often. It somehow reminds me of my "yute". Unlike my "yute", it doesn't seem to go away. Ahh...the scent of a guitar....

Beautiful, and realistic, carving work, jazzrat. I know this, as I've been having a lot of visits by the real deal feathered friends recently. They've discovered the pool. If they didn't make the mess that they do, I'd have no problem with them cruising in the pool. As it is, I've got to chase them out almost daily. Beautiful water fowl though.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Jazzrat, I like the blue G&L in your avatar. Cool color. The carved ducks are awesome. As far as hobbies I seem to have more than I can keep up with. I never have enough time to do everything. I would bet that we all have that problem. I have some refinishing projects this spring that I should have done last year. I have always wondered why gun guys do not paint their gun stocks like guitars. I painted a trap gun for my son in law, Wineberry Red, and he loved it. I can visualize a transparent mint green walnut gunstock. Also, I can visualize a Mahogany guitar with the head stock and parts of the top body carved with beautiful patterns like the ducks. I would finish with high gloss and it would be something! I have always noticed a smell from newer guitar cases which I like. But, I am easy as there isn't much about guitars that I do not like. I Have been unavailable this week but always check in on the LRs.---- Darwin.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm

You might have something there Darwin. I have seen a few sporting stocks painted up with race car style pinstripes and such but a sunburst would be cool or a metallic like my
emerald blue Legacy.

BTW, you all can look forward to Darwin as our host for next week's Lunch Report.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 pm

jazzrat wrote:BTW, you all can look forward to Darwin as our host for next week's Lunch Report.

Sounds good. Maybe he'll give us a virtual tour of the wall of fame.

BTW: My buddies showed up for a bath a few minutes ago. :fighting0037: :o :cry:

Dang, and I even shrank the images. Good thing, eh?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Gorgeous Mallard pair...anywhere but in your pool :shock:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

jazzrat wrote:To that end I have been really engrossed in wood carving for many years.
Here are a couple birds.

G & L content: Sorry got nothing today other than looking forward to practicing with the band tomorrow.

Great looking birds. I've managed to acquire some waterfowl paintings, pictures, and carvings over the years, many through Ducks Unlimited dinners. A great part of natures beauty.

I used to be totally into hunting, but I seem to appreciate seeing nature now instead of bringing it home on top of the truck. I don't begrudge anyone who does, though, as long as they use what they take. I don't fish too much anymore, either. I guess I'd rather spend the time doing something else.

My big hobby is golf for about 9 months of the year. I play every Saturday and Sunday. I also enjoy shooting. I may not shoot at deer anymore, but I don't mind punching holes in paper! :fighting0037: I'm trying to get started with cycling, but my travel schedule makes it tough to spend as much time at it as I'd like. Hopefully I can get into it a bit more this year.

Band practice....We're practicing this Saturday. Can't wait.
Brian

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:47 am

Rickshaw!

http://www.RickshawSeason.com

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

That's cool Brock! Don't see why you couldn't tow a generator and amp and have a passenger make some serious noise while you're at it.
Might have to get good and 'carbed up' for more leg power. :)

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:51 pm

We were talking about maybe doing some live performance on Rickshaw, but with a pignose amp, or maybe an acoustic. I did haul Bob to a small acoustic gig once:

The story: http://www.rickshawseason.com/how-to-ge ... uitar-gig/

I have a folding luggage rack on the back as well, so I can haul a lot more. I'd think I could haul a couple electrics in their cases, a combo amp, a passenger, and say a mic stand and mic, plus a pedal board.