LUNCH REPORT 1-31-17 my 1000th GLDP post

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 am

Howdy campers and happy Tuesday to ya all!

I thought since this is my “1000th GLDP post” it may as well be a Lunch Report and cover as much ground as possible

What’s on the lunch plate today?

Another travelling day for yours truly, so it will probably be some airport epicurean delight. Will fill in the details later on today. Airport eateries I am known to visit include are: any coffee shop (for tea), Auntie Emma’s for pretzels, pizza shops for a quick slice, frozen yogurt shops or just a surprise for larger meal options.

G&L TOPIC
As this is post 1000 for me, I gotta post a a G&L family picture, cuz that is what got me here in the first place. I was a lurker in the early to mid 2000's before deciding I would join in the fun.

When did you see GLDP and when did first post?

(L-R) Parts caster JD 5 with all 88-89 G&L parts, Tribby parts Will Ray Z2, ASAT Classic Custom before the P90 version, ASAT Deluxe, ASAT with Paul Gagon neck pup, back line - ASAT JR, Broadcaster, ASAT 1988, G&L 20th Anniversary, front row - ASAT III signature, ASAT Classic Signature, ASAT Signature Commemorative field test, ASAT Will Ray Signature, ASAT Custom, ASAT Z3 Semi-hollow, G&L 25th Anniversary, ASAT Solamente and the black sheep ASAT parts caster with MFD neck and Will Ray bridge pup.

Bought my first G&L in 1992, the black ASAT Classic Signature, as wedding gift to myself. As my ASAT addiction has continued it surprises me that I can always find a different tone and redeeming value in each one. Still want an ASAT Super however.

Tell us about your G&L guitars and post pics if you can.
When did you buy your first G&L?
What G&L do you want next?
When did you find GLDP and how long did you lurk before jumping in?

MUSIC TOPIC
What is the next step in public consumption of music?

We have gone from tape, to vinyl, to cassette, to CD, to digital downloads, what can be next? With all the streaming capabilities through Sirius, Amazon etc., these can only be fine-tuned. For example, I still don’t see dedicated Prog, Polka or Hawaiian channels on Sirius radio. Amazon Music is pretty good, but still not a complete list of all bands output. What would you invent to provide music?

Maybe there will be an ear implantable chip for audio reception that you just say, “Siri, play Hawaiian ukulele version of Dark Side of the Moon.” ;)

NON-MUSIC TOPIC
Super Bowl weekend is upon us and I’m looking forward to it in a reserved kind of way. Excited because I live in the Atlanta area, so go Falcons! Reserved because I will be at a conference and watching the game in hotel bar or in the room working. I am looking forward to the commercials as well, always some fun ones. Hoping for a good game in general. I will say Falcons win 35-33.

So, how about you, are ya’ gonna watch the game on Sunday? Having a party with your friends? Any Super Bowl watching traditions? Do you care, or just tuning in it for the commercials?

What is your prediction for the game?

Thanks for tuning in.
PLAY YOUR GUITAR AND POST MORE ON GLDP - GO FALCONS!!! :alright:

Re: LUNCH REPORT 1-31-17 my 1000th GLDP post

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

Howdy Sam!

Congrats with your 1000th post. And that is quite the family picture you have there.

sam wrote:What’s on the lunch plate today?

I will have lunch with a colleague of mine who is transferring his team to me. Think it will be a couple of pork sliders with a side of fried Brussel sprouts.

sam wrote:G&L TOPIC

At the same time I got my first G&L, 1998. I thought this was the place to register your instrument. After all, one of the rubrics says "Registry" doesn't it? I recall that I was active at least going back as far as 2001, but I might have posted before. As far as the next G&L, I have a short list of about 5 G&L's with an Interceptor III at the top. If only I could finagle the owner of the guitar shown on the Interceptor page to part with his for a mutually agreeable price!

sam wrote:What is the next step in public consumption of music?

As far as concerts go, a different form of public consumption of music, Jimmy Webb plays Jazz Alley in Seattle today and tomorrow. I will take my wife for dinner on what will hopefully be a wonderful night of story telling and music tomorrow. For media, I'm not sure. Personally I like to hold the item in my hands and hence have not fallen for streaming yet. And who knows, maybe songs are synthesized on the spot using computer learning algorithms ...

sam wrote:So, how about you, are ya’ gonna watch the game on Sunday? Having a party with your friends? Any Super Bowl watching traditions? Do you care, or just tuning in it for the commercials?

Will watch with friends. I think it will be Matt Ryan's year, Falcons by 10.

- Jos

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Sam,

What a wonderful accomplishment. A day you will always remember.

I will try to answer your lunchtime questions.

1. My G&L guitars are my trusted musical companions. I have more than my share. I have been using my white / ebony board Nighthawk lately. These pickups are just right.

2. I purchased my first G&L in 1989. A sc-3 with a saddle lock bridge. Still have that guitar.

3. There is no telling what I will buy next but I would really like a Leo era Asat Classic. I traded my only one on a Heritage a few years ago.

4.I imagine there was some time between me discovering G&L and joining this site. I am not a big computer guy. I snagged most of my collection without the help of a computer.

5. I will be hoping Tom Brady loses the superbowl. I know he is the greatest quarterback in the history of the world but I just love seeing guys like that go down in flames.

By the way Sam, you have some great looking guitars in that collection.

y2kc

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the kind compliments. You both have a enviable collections as well.

Glad to see two more who are pulling for the Falcons, or against Brady. :clap:

y2kc, I am really not a computer guy either, that is why it took me so long to join in the GLDP page. This is still the only page I am a participating member. I often remind
our IT department I am the poster child for computer ilituracee when asking for help. :shocked028:

1000 posts is kind of a dubius recognition, but was a great excuse to mix a Lunch Report and Super Bowl!

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 pm

1000th post! Do you win something for that milestone? Maybe another Asat :happy0065:

Lunch today was some homemade turkey soup wifey made the other night. Yum!

My teenage daughter and most of her friends rarely buy CDs. They hardly even download. Seems like most of them are only doing streaming. Pandora, Spotify, etc. At least they pay for the "premium" service. But I suspect that still means a very tiny amount of cash ends up going to the artist. Maybe the next generation will get music implants ala-The Matrix.

My first G&L:
1989 I think. Still own it. Don't remember when I first found this board. Late 90s, maybe early 00s?

I honestly don't see another G&L on the horizon anytime soon. Something about mortgages and college tuition my wife mentions from time to time :o But if you're offering...I'd like a semi-hollow Bluesboy.

Super Bow:

Been a Patriots fan for many years before they became a dynasty. Jim Plunkett, Steve Grogan anyone? But I am a Falcons fan too. I'd be rooting for the Falcons if they weren't play the Patriots. Probably just have the neighbors over for a small, casual Super Bowl party. Hoping for some good commercials and a decent halftime show and of course another Patriots trophy!

enjoy your trip,
Jeff

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the LR and congrats on post #1000! You have a beautiful collection of ASATs. It's not easy to maintain that tight of a focus in a collection.

sam wrote:What’s on the lunch plate today?

Today was busy. Lunch was a passing thought that I should stop to eat something. Dinner made up for it thought...port tenderloin, brown rice and Brussels sprouts. Yum.

sam wrote:G&L TOPIC

I found the original G&LDP back around '99, when a salesman at a shop in Portland ME suggested I check it out. I posted a little bit back then, but lost track during a move. I don't remember what my original screen name was.

I bought my first G&L from that same salesman right after I found the G&LDP. It was an '83 SB-1 that a previous owner had sanded down and clear coated. My oldest son is taking it to his new band's first practice tomorrow, so it continues to be loved.

I'm not sure about the next G&L. I've been out of room for a while now, with a one-in-one-out policy and no trade fodder left in the collection. It all depends on what shows up for sale, but I have caught myself thinking about an '86-ish SB-1 lately.

In 2010 I met Bassman in a local guitar shop, and he pointed me back to the board. Two thousand some odd posts later, here I am!

sam wrote:
MUSIC TOPIC

I have no idea. I prefer media that I can hold, so streaming and downloading haven't appealed to me. I do search out new (or new-to-me) music on YouTube and let the "next up" recommendations take me where they will. I've found a lot of good stuff that way, but if it merits more than a single listen I will usually try to track down a CD.

sam wrote:
NON-MUSIC TOPIC

So, how about you, are ya’ gonna watch the game on Sunday? Having a party with your friends? Any Super Bowl watching traditions? Do you care, or just tuning in it for the commercials?

I was pretty serious about watching football (mostly the Ravens and Pats) until last year, when the Rugby World Cup was going on at the start of the NFL season. As an ex-rugby player I found myself watching the World Cup and not caring that much about the NFL games in comparison. I've watched maybe half an hour of football since then. I probably won't watch the game Sunday, especially since my two rugby-playing sons would gripe in the background about the pace of the game and attitudes of the players.

My predictions? Sloppy tackles, coaches directing the play, rest breaks every ten seconds, and players saying something other than "yes, sir", "no, sir" or "I'm sorry, sir" to the referee... :lol:

Ken

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 pm

"are all these your guitars...?" (pink floyd, the wall)
amazing collection, Sam, all worthy of your attention!
music media - doesn't matter what's next, I'll listen to it.
wish: i "say it", while driving in my truck, and it downloads and plays within 15 seconds.
G&L: 1st was a trib legacy, april 2014. received it on a tuesday, played a gig with it on that friday, and was infatuated.
joined G&LDP: 2 days later, after trying to find out more about this amazing brand of instruments.
Next G&L: currently satisfied with some recent acquisitions, but ya never know... (my wife rolls her eyes in her sleep)
probably would give some consideration to a certain nighthawk if it came along at the right time.
superbowl: gotta like the Falcons. goin' skiing super sunday, watch the Bowl, then skiing again all monday with the place to ourselves.
ever since the Pat's beat the Eagles in SB39, they're almost as unpopular around here as the Cowboys...almost.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 am

thx for the lunch report, nice one.

Lunch was left over brisket sliders with a nice salad.

G&L was mentioned to me, since I could not find a decent Fender lefty in the store, they all seemed unplayable with bad necks. Could have been that they had not been properly setup, but I didnt like em.

My first G&L was a brand new 2008 Bluesboy, which I ordered and waited 14 weeks for. Was worth it, its still my daily guitar for practice. Joined the forum just after I got that one.

Had a 2009 legacy (should have kept it), 2011 ASAT special deluxe and still have my LE-2. Lots to worship.

If I get another, I really think an s-500 with rear mounted controls would be nice. Also thought a USA fallout (if they every become available in lefty) would be a great complement to my LE-2.

As far as music goes, I have been an apple music subscriber and just been listening to their playlists, but my wife is even more of a music buff and she always creates playlist that she uses to workout with, so the music has to be interesting and moving. Here's her latest playlist. I like listening to it.

Play that Song - Train - we saw them in concert, they are amazing.
Got your number - Serena Ryder
She sets the city on fire - Diamond
24k magic - Bruno Mars
Starboy - The WeekND
Fireball - Pitbull
Don't wanna know - Maroon 5
Love on the Brain - Rihanna
I can't stop thinking about you - Sting
Just Like Fire - P!NK
2 Heads - Coleman Hell
Wasted Time - Keith Urban
Faith - Stevie Wonder

Remember its a workout playlist and she creates a new one every 6 months.

There is a Boston Beer Garden near me in Naples, Florida that I'm thinking of going to for Super Bowl. Am worried about how early I have to go to get a good seat. I lived in Boston for 2 years, so I am a fan, but Atlanta was on fire the last couple of games. They looked invincible, we'll see.

Hoping for a great game and great commercials!

Before I go, I am so excited as we were just invited to a private concert being given next month by Muriel Anderson. I just had my LE-2 in for repair and setup and the owner of the music store is Denny Scott (at 17 was the lead guitarist for Bill Hailey and the Comets). Denny invited us to the show. Total of 20-25 people going. Wow, honoured to be invited and really looking forward to it. I am told that Muriel used to work for Chet Atkins and she got lots of lessons from Chet and Jerry Reed.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MurielAnderson

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:37 am

Repoman - I like yer Matrix example, one day we could be a walking juke box. (when did you last see one of those?). Plunkett was the Patriots man, before all the overblown politics of today's NFL. Wish I had yer soup, mine became a turkey sandwich, chex mix and a chocolate chip cookie. Win something for 1000 posts? Just the opportunity to keep hanging out here and spreading the G&L gospel. :alright:

Ken - Thanks for the compliment, ASAT's became my focus after finding the "better telecaster". My wife may try and put me on a "one-in-one-out policy" soon. Your two thousand some odd posts are always informative BTW. :thumbup: While I use Youtube to listen sometimes, I'm a hold it in my hands kind of guy as well. I use ebay as a source for cheap and/or hard to find stuff.

drj - I got the Floyd reference right off the bat, truly memorable line and thanks. Years of buying/trading, and using Jos' impeccable collection as my ASAT guiding light! :searching: http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatsshakin/Welcome.html The say it and play option may happen. Boy I remember early internet and 20 minute buffering to listen to one song, and thinking this is so cool. Sounds like yer wife is related to mine, "wife rolls her eyes in her sleep". That cereal box sure looks like the breakfast of champions. LOL
Last edited by sam on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:44 am

Hey Alf,

Your post just as I was posting my last reply. Congrats on seeing Muriel Anderson! :banana: You've posted her stuff before and she is quite talented. I bet Denny Scott can tell some stories as well. Love that ASAT special deluxe, the grain is just sweet. I'm with you on hoping for a great game and funny commercials.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:54 pm

sam wrote: As this is post 1000 for me, I gotta post a a G&L family picture, cuz that is what got me here in the first place. I was a lurker in the early to mid 2000's before deciding I would join in the fun.

Right on ...nice picture, worthy of an Album cover.
sam wrote: When did you see GLDP and when did first post?

It must have been fall of 2008; using the wayback machine I'm seeing some of my first posts in
the December snapshot.
https://web-beta.archive.org/web/200812 ... index.php3

sam wrote: Tell us about your G&L guitars and post pics if you can.

A family shot would be fun,I'll consider spending some time making it so.
sam wrote: When did you buy your first G&L?

2001, I think...20 years after lusting over the sound my high school buddy got with his (F-100E)
sam wrote: What G&L do you want next?

hmmm...A NAMM Interceptor in flame Maple sounds great :lol:
I guess I'll have to build one since it looks like supply is limited.
sam wrote: MUSIC TOPIC

Good question...Dunno
I really like owning records...no buffering,compression,etc
Anyone use PONO? (I don't)

Thanks for the LR....we need more chit chat around here

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Great collection Sam! I was going to say that you need to get at least one S-style guitar in there, but it looks like you do have an ASAT III with the DFV bridge. Very cool!

My first G&L was a 1984 El Toro (fretless) that I bought from my brother back in the early 90s. I loved G&L basses since my brother played them in the 80s, but, for some reason, the G&L guitars were not on my radar until the 2000s. (I couldn't really afford them in the 80s or early 90s anyway, so I guess it's just as well...) I did not find out about this forum until a couple years ago, so I am kind of a newbie here. My next G&L: to finish the partscaster I am working on, which, I am sure, will be the next G&L signature model! :happy0007:

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Sam, late posting but thanks for the LR. Nice group that you have!

Today I had a great bowl of Chicken Noodle, my winter mainstay.

Probably in 2007 and I posted just after finding the forum as I had just found my first G&L.

I currently have 10 and 1 of those is up for sale. I have owned about 30 since 2007. I ended up with over 50 guitars and have been selling recently. I am getting close to my goal of 32 to 35. It is much more manageable and I have the ones I really want to keep.

2007 I believe. I traded an American Tele for a transparent red over swamp ash Legacy HSS. It was with me for a year before swapping with a guy for a Legacy SSS that had the GOT Maple neck. That was a looker.

I have none on the radar. It would have to be something not done before and really special. I did find a color in Alfs post I could really appreciate. His Bluesboy is cool and one of the nicest I have seen.

I did lurk for a bit. I was just learning more about the product.

I still do some recording and I do like vinyl and have a bunch. I have three turntables, one of them being a 35 to 40 year old Girrard that has never been used. It is still in the original box. Up until about 10 years ago, I was spinning vinyl. Then I finally set up a CD player. Working on guitars is still my winter pass-time and I just made a bone nut with the new files I received this week. Still gigging as always.

No super bowl preferences.

-- Darwin

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Hey guys thanks for keeping the Lunch Report going into midnight snack mode! :clap:

Elwood - If I had an album cover it would probably look like one of these, but looking forward to yours.

I understand the waiting part. I first saw an SC-2 in a small shop in Indiana then an ASAT in San Francisco, and it was still another six years before I got my first.
That NAMM Interceptor in flame Maple seems to be in high demand. Maybe a limited edition "Return Edition" could be run. (hello Darth :evilgrin: )
I have seen Neil Young's promo on the Pono but still haven't seen one in person. So, no real impression yet.

Cho - I pulled out the ASAT III this weekend for the first time in a while and soon remembered what a cool sounding guitar this one is. Not really much of a trem guy, I do like the B-Bender though. But for Shadows and Jeff Beck and something like Sleep Walk I practice on my trem bending. I always have to find an ASAT that is different in some way to justify purchase. "Hey sweetheart, this one is so different from the others!" :whome: Do you still have the El Toro? I dig fretless basses and the El Toro always reminds me of the Everclear bass player that played one. Newbie my ASAT, you are always pitching in with great stuff. Post a pic of the El Toro if you have one.

Darwin - always great to see you post here and it sounds like all is well up in the Twin Cities. I do recall when you had the BIG collection. Which one are you selling? I recall seeing it a while back but don't see it in the marketplace. I'm with you on the semi hollow Bluesboy, I don't have anything with an F-hole. It does seem like turntables are making a comeback. I still have a standard issue turntable but spin my albums and 45's every now an then. Trying to introduce my kids to the wonderful sound of vinyl.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 pm

astutzmann wrote:thx for the lunch report, nice one.

My first G&L was a brand new 2008 Bluesboy, which I ordered and waited 14 weeks for. Was worth it, its still my daily guitar for practice. Joined the forum just after I got that one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MurielAnderson

Alf, love the bluesboy, cool colors, sweet guitar!

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

sam wrote:Post a pic of the El Toro if you have one.

+1. I've been watching for a fretless El Toro ever since I got my fretted one five years ago. I haven't come across one yet, but they must sound great with those pickups.

Ken

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 am

Sam, thanks for the lunch report and congratulations on your 1000th post! Sorry for the delayed reply… I was waiting to get a some better family pictures but haven’t had enough free time to do so.

Lunch on Tuesday was a pastrami sandwich from the cafeteria at work. Today is much more interesting – leftover chickpea garam masala over chopped roasted cauliflower.

G&L Topic:

I don’t exactly remember when I started lurking here. It probably was somewhere around 2011 or 2012. At the time I only had my one electric, a Washburn Idol WI-45 and I wanted to add a single coil guitar. I foolishly thought at the time I would have one HB, one SC, and one acoustic… There were two guitar shops close to my home and both carried G&L and I really didn’t know much about them. I asked one of my co-workers who I knew played guitar, he didn’t know much either but he had heard good things about them. Up to this point, I never really thought much about Fender guitars. I knew quite few people that had Strats and for a “new” player the action just seemed way too high on them. Also being new I think the 25.5” scale was more of a stretch. On top of that Strats were so common that I just never thought of them much. So what struck me was how comfortable and nice the action was on the G&L guitars I tried at my local shops. At the time being new I was intimidated to actually plug in and play in these shops so I started searching the web for reviews, demos, tone reports, and GbL forum to determine if G&L might be right for my single coil guitar. From this research, I really became interested in the large soap bar MFD pickups. I decided to search for a used Tribute series ASAT Special. I particularly liked the one with in natural finish and tort pickguard. So I was checking out eBay for a good deal as I wanted to keep my costs down. Most I were finding at the time were not much less than the new Tributes at my local shops. Then I ran across a Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe on auction that was almost over and it was going for about $100 less than the one I had been looking for so I decided to bid and I got it. I feel like a got a really good deal on this guitar and it was in great shape… It looked like it had hardly even been played. So, I continue to lurk on the forum as I felt I was to new / novice to contribute any wisdom – but I soaked in what I could. In 2013, G&L introduced the Fallout. I had recently got a bonus at work and this new model was really intriguing me. So I stopped in my local shop to try one out as I was hoping to order a custom order. Well, they didn’t have one. I was talking with the owner (Bob) and he asked me if I had considered an LE-2. I mentioned I have heard of it on the GbL forum but didn’t know much about it. IIRC, he mentioned it was based Fallout. I knew you had to be a member to join and read the actual LE-2 discussion, so I went home an signed up. This is when I learned the LE-2 had the MFD bucker in the bridge and that soapbar MFD that I love in the neck. Immediately, I knew that my next guitar would be an LE-2 not the fallout. So I went back the next weekend and placed my order for #4 of 25 (mine is the Lake Placid Blue LE-2 with matching headstock). I was hoping for #5, but that was already taken… My next G&L purchase was a Tribute Series JB-2 bass in 3 Tone Sunburst with maple fingerboard, this would have been sometime in 2014. This is my only bass. I just started recently playing the bass in my church’s praise band and our primary bassist recently retired and move to Tennessee. If I was to order a bass, the new Kiloton is probably the direction I’d go. In 2015, I had two more G&Ls join the family. I special ordered an ASAT Classic S in March 2015 and received in May 2015. It is in Margarita Metallic, matching headstock, maple fingerboard and single ply black pickguard. Having read how people love the pre-BBE era G&L’s I was looking for an opportunity to try one. So I had been checking for used G&L’s that might be close to me. In this search, I discovered the GC in Rockford had an ’84 or ’85 SC-3 (I’m pretty sure it an ’85, but I have been reluctant to remove the neck to check). So the day before Thanksgiving we were travelling to visit family and Rockford happens to be on the way, so I stopped to try out the SC-3, well needless to say it had to come home with me. This is the SC-3 in my avatar. I love them all and I’m pretty regimented in rotating guitars. Each week I’m scheduled to play, I will play a different guitar; however, now that I play bass sometimes, it is taking me longer to make the rounds.

What would be next? I really want to complete my MFD collection, so that means a F-100, ASAT Z-3, and I still would really like an 80’s SC-2 (though a custom order SC-2 isn’t out of the question). I registered for the chance to win a custom order G&L from Riff City, but I didn’t win… If I had won, I think I probably would have gone with an F-100 in Old School Tobacco Sunburst. Probably would have gone with alder body as in general I find OSTB looks better on alder. Fingerboard would be ebony and the bridge would be a Saddle-Lock.

Music Topic:

I’m not sure what the future hold for the distribution of music. I find it hard to see the digital model being replaced. Personally I’m not a fan, I too like to be able to hold it in my hands. I love the art work and reading the liner notes! IMO, too often people go for the single, missing out on the hidden gem on the album. I’m thinking that eventually music streaming will end up like cable TV. I think subscription services to thousands of channels you never listen to, will be replaced by ala cart subscriptions. Perhaps, non-commercial radio will become a bigger part of the distribution of music. There are some great commercial free radio stations out there and with streaming, you no longer have to be in air broadcast area to enjoy them. I support WYMS. I really like some studio sessions videos that KEXP has on YouTube so I would like to check them out – I could see being a supporter of them too.

Because of the changes in music distribution, it has changed how musician make a living IMO. It is no longer record sales with tours promoting these records. So how do you reduce costs of your performances and keep more in your pocket? I think this is going to lead to more “house” or “home” performances. Instead of paying a venue to use their facilities, you have smaller more intimate shows in people’s homes. Last month I went to one such show in Highland Park to see Adam Ezra. There was about 25-30 people in the living room. Adam was on a 44 day tour of 40 cities performing in people’s homes. I was talking to him after the show and he mentioned that there is an emerging scene where people are becoming established home venues, hosting several home concerts form various artist throughout the year. I see this a way artist can perform more often and keep more in their pocket – so I could see this becoming more common.

Super Bowl:

Most years, we get together with friends to watch the game. This year, we actually have no plans – though something may come up last minute. Going into the playoffs I was hoping for either Falcon vs Chiefs or Packers vs Chiefs. I’m more an NFC guy, so if either of those matchups had happened I’d would have been routing for the Falcons or Packers. I guess for the AFC I’m sort of interested in KC just because it’s Midwest – though I would call myself a fan. So I’ll be cheering for the Falcons. I think this will by Matt Ryan’s year, but I think it will be close… 34-31 perhaps…

Cheers, Dan

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Hey Dan,

I understand the lurking before jumping in aspect. I was the same way, but found this group to be both fun and a wealth of knowledge. So, you got #4 you lucky dog! :banana: I was very close to grabbing one but it just wasn't an ASAT. Someday maybe, those are very special guitars for sure. For your next one I would suggest a Z3 or Will Ray, notice the shape. :evilgrin:

Albums were the best, but it may all become digital streaming in end. You could be on to something with “house” or “home” performances. I recall Glen Tilbrook of Squeeze or one of the guys from the Smithereens would play a small venue then carry on to an audience members home a couple of years ago. That would have been fun.

Let's hope your Super Bowl prediction is right on!

Rockford ya say. This Rockford? :-)

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:29 am

OK, here are pics of my first G&L: 1984 El Toro Fretless. I've had it since about 1991. I have La Bella Extra Light flatwound strings on it.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:54 pm

cho wrote:OK, here are pics of my first G&L: 1984 El Toro Fretless. I've had it since about 1991. I have La Bella Extra Light flatwound strings on it.

Cho,

That is a beautiful looking instrument! Don't let Ken Crombie see it ;-)

- Jos

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Still amazed with this collection of guitars. Simply a fantastic array of Asat diversification and tonal pallets. I want to play them all.

Y2kc

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Just incredible collection Sam
What can you tell me about the ASAT Classic custom ?
There must be one in there somewhere .
Thanks
Anthony

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 pm

y2kc and Anthony thank you much. Yep, you could say the ASAT is my go to guitar. As long as G&L puts out different varieties I can justify a new one. ;)

Anthony, the Classic Custom is third from the left in the top picture. Here's a couple close up, right after I bought it only one shows the true blue.

Paul Gagon did a review at the Music Shop
https://youtu.be/LdbT4TXWfok

ProGuitarShop does an overview as well. The neck pup is covered at about 2:25.
https://youtu.be/NaOIOBOFLYE

I have not had this out in some time, but after this I may have to pull it out tonight!

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:57 am

Hi Sam ,
So did you put some new strings on that beautiful blue guitar of yours and crank it ?
I've heard from someone who knows that that the two pick ups together make for an incredible rhythm sound
Thanks man
Anthony

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi Anthony,

Yessir I did put some new stings on and opened her up some. It was interesting playing this guitar after put away for some time, and a couple of recent additions that have been getting most attention. (with the little playing time I have had)

Here's my latest take. IMHO rhythm and jazz tones are strongest contenders from this fine guitar. I'm a fan of BIG MFD's so neck/bridge and neck are the best tones from this model. No knock on the bridge, a respectable chickin picker. A rich sound comes from this pickup mix. I would like to hear how the Classic Bluesboy 90 to compare tone wise, maybe more rock/blues oriented.

Do you have one in your future?