View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 TGIF - Lunch Report 8-DEC-17 

Post TGIF - Lunch Report 8-DEC-17
Happy Friday!

Lunch was going to be left over fettuccini with a salmon, dill, capers and cream sauce. Opened the refrigerator this morning and found that someone already ate these leftovers. So lunch will be something from the cafeteria at work. Probably a sandwich, side salad, and some sort of beverage… The sandwiches are actually pretty decent in the cafeteria.

G&L Topic

Several other brands offer quite a bit of merchandise to bolster the marketing of their brands. G&L merchandise is pretty limited. Last I looked there was few t-shirts and hats. To be fair, there might be more currently. I’d love to have so G&L merchandise. Some items that I think would be sweet: a “Real One” hoodie, G&L Dickey’s style work shirt, travel coffee cup, bar stool, and lighted sign. I’d also love to have G&L calendar. A co-worker has couple guitar calendars at his desk each year. Usually he has a PRS Custom Shop calendar and a vintage guitar calendar. Each month I stop buy his desk to check out the guitars of the month. G&L makes so many beautiful guitars, I would think it would be easy to get a collection of 12 photos to produce calendar each year.

What merchandise would you like to see and would be willing to purchase?

Non G&L Topic

My family is getting together with some friends this weekend so that the kids can bake a decorate cookies. This particular friend makes the best gingerbread cookies. I’m not a huge gingerbread fan, but her gingerbread is just awesome. Her cookie is specifically one of my favorite holiday cookies. What are your favorite holiday cookies?

Music Topic

Originally, I was going to ask what your favorite or most impactful song lyric, but I’m going to leave that for another day. I want to work out my story a little more and better frame the question. While thinking about lyrics several of them were coming from one album. Lou Reed’s New York to me is one of the finest musical works produced. The album tells a story from start to finish, each song being like its own chapter advancing you through the story. The story is filled with commentary and judgment, hope and frustration, determination and call to action, and resolution. At times it is uncomfortable, but uncomfortable in a good way (if that makes sense). It is a relevant today as it was in 1989. The song Dirty Boulevard dives into commentary, judgment, and hope. I hope you enjoy this “chapter” from Lou Reed’s New York. And I’d encourage, if you haven’t, give the album a listen from start to finish.

phpBB [video]

What album do you find powerful, meaningful, significant, or revolutionary? Why does it resonate with you?

Cheers and have a good weekend, Dan

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 am

Post Re: TGIF - Lunch Report 8-DEC-17
Dan the man, on a roll this week!

Lunch was a cup of tea and a bag of chips. Crappy health wise but no time today.

I have a few G&L t-shirts that get a fair share of wear. A calendar would be a nice way of showing off all G&L can do. (this will be twelve months of ASAT, right? 8-) ) How about a G&L Christmas ornament?

We do a mint chocolate bark that gets eaten very quickly.

Fully agree with you on Lou's New York. :thumbup: Got it when it came out and still have it in rotation occasionally. The story line is fantastic, and still fits in with today's life. Started to list my favorite songs but this can be started at track one and played through on repeat all day long.

Some of my faves, and each for various personal reasons, include Grateful Dead American Beauty - Dead in their prime and like New York this can be put on and played over and over, Marillion Misplaced Childhood - one of the best prog albums and by one of my favorite bands, Pink Floyd The Wall - timeless Floyd, Roger Waters Amused To Death - his best solo IMHO, Beatles Sgt Pepper - their masterpiece and musical touchstone, Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare - his brilliant solo coming out party, there are more for sure....

Thanks Dan!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Dan, thanks for takin' a walk on the wild side.

Lunch: scallop quesadilla at cafeteria with some refried beans and a salad. Not bad for the cafeteria. Just missing the margerita

G&L merch: i really ought to get a shirt. I have too damn many shirts but it's good to turn them over. i like the bar light idea, would hang it in my basement, near the bar

inspiring record: gee, there's a bunch. 1st few that popped into my head: "My Song," Keith Jarrett; "Agents of Fortune," Blue Oyster Cult; "As falls Wichita, So falls Wichita Falls," Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays, etc. all magical in their own way, and they take me to bookmarks in my life. all meant to be listened to "en bloc."

re: cookies, anything reminiscent of reeses peanut butter cups!

Regards,

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I might buy a G&L hoodie, I'd definitely buy an iron-on patch or three for my present hoodies.

A few albums that come to mind:

Quadrophenia has a nice flow to it, I used to use that to work out to :fighting0030:

King Crimson's Discipline was a game changer for me. The first album also has a nice
soundtrack feel to it. (honestly, I can rave about them all)

Another gem, Eno/Byrne's "My life in a bush of ghosts":
phpBB [video]

ohhh...and...
phpBB [video]

I'll try and get to that Lou Reed soon, thanks.
(Laurie Anderson is another artist I adore...Lou had good taste ;) )

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]