Ill start

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 am

Its kinda nice to start sumpin.

Ive been a long time enjoyer of the Vox sound. I tried a AC15 & AC30. I finally settled on a AC15 hand wired. Is a very nice amp, 2 power settings, 2 tube sets. I was missing the control of the mids though. I eventually traded it off. My search continued, looking haphazerdly. I saw & tried a Traynor YVC20WR, 2 channel blah blah. After himing & hawing I bought it. I spent so time on it every day. One thing that was starting to bother was the drive. The drive started at about 2, but it wasnt that nice EL84 drive. The sound almost reminded me of the SS low cost drive. About 3 weeks after buying it, My curlyfriend & I had some time to kill & she asked it I wanted to check out the Guit store. WOOD EYE. I saw the usual compliment of geetars & amps. Then I saw a chrome mini head. "hmm Vox.". With it was a Vox 112TV cab. I ran it up for a few minutes. It turns out they would take the Traynor with no loss.

Vox Night Train

15 watts, Class A, 1/2 power switch, 8 & 16 ohm out, Gain, Normal/Thick switchTreble, Mid, Bass & Volume. A full slate. Chrome peek a boo box so the tubes saw thought the grill (bling bling).
The NT sounds very much like any Vox, with the extra event of being to control the mids. The thing that Ive been missing on the others. It doesnt quite have the chime of a AC15, but I do feel that it does get in the territory of a Dr. Z.
Thick
When its in Thick mode the EQ is bypassed. The only controls available are Gain & Volume. To get a feel for it take an amp with full EQ, dime them all, put the animals & kids outside & enjoy. You get this thick chimy heavenly driven tone even at low gain settings. I set it about 5 on the Gain & adjust the volume for minimum bleed.

112TV Cab
The 112TV is meant for the AC4. It is a 12 in., 16 ohm rated to 30 watts. I was thinking about about swapping it out for sumpin better. When the speaker guy took the back off I found the speaker is rated for 50 watts. I will definately fit as a extension cab on anything I have. Sounds great with the Mesa Boogie :happy0065: . Shes a keeper.

Knotty
(Craig)

Re: Ill start

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:21 pm

The Night Train is a very fun amp. They are well made, very portable and you can get a variety of sounds out of them. They can be bedroom quiet or suitable for a small to medium club. It's a very cool piece. Congratulations!

RickT

Re: Ill start

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Never played much with Vox. Other people made them good (like John Jorgenson), but I never took the time.

How she works out for you!

Gary G