New ASAT Alnico S - Truss Rod Issues

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:22 am

Hi there, I recently bought a new ASAT alnico S (launch addition). the instrument sounds great; however, the neck would need to be straightened slightly but the truss rod nut is already pretty tight. Moreover, the nut is not accessible with the allen wrench supplied. This is already the second time I experienced such an issue with a new ASAT. Do others have similar experiences with new G&Ls and maybe reasonable solutions. I don't want to send the instrument back as I ordered it from an overseas US dealer, regards, f

Re: New ASAT Alnico S - Truss Rod Issues

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:52 pm

This issue keeps coming up doesn't it.

Loosen the strings completely, loosen the rod nut completely. Then put manual back-bow pressure on the neck while tightening the rod nut, again with strings loose, until it is as tight as you can reasonably get it. The idea is that the rod isn't doing the work, just holding the position, since you should be manually back-bowing the neck. Then when you tighten strings up, that will *probably* take care of it, but sometimes not. If not, heat treatment is your next option.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 pm

First of all, I will address the access to the truss rod nut. This is my solution to the problem. I cut a 4 mm allen wrench to 1/2 inch long and that solved my problem. Here is a photo.

Now for the truss rod adjustment. I have found a couple of my G&Ls that seemed to be at the end of adjustment. In both cases I found the Adjustment nut not threaded deep enough. I replaced the nut with one threaded deeper or you can make washers and put under the nut. I received new nuts from G&L that worked just fine as they were threaded much deeper. I would check that before doing anything else. It completely solved my issues. I have not had a bad G&L neck yet. My Fenders are bi directional truss rods and there is no easy solution for that. Just my experience. Have a great day tomorrow everyone! Thanks-- Darwin

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:27 pm

I love your practical solutions Darwin!

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the advises; I will first try a new nut before going for a more 'invasive' procedure. I will feed back the results asap, f