ASAT Special or Fallout-whats the difference MFD vs P90

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I had to return the ASAT Special I bought recently because they just couldn't get the frets right. Thought I'm looking for another ASAT I've also started to consider the Fallout. Can anyone describe the difference in the Fallout's P90 in the neck vs a jumbo MFD in the neck position? I'm very familiar with the JB bridge pickup already.

Re: ASAT Special or Fallout-whats the difference MFD vs P90

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Perhaps these videos will help, they are located in the G&L Audio and Video Clips!!! sub-forum:

G&L Fallout - Straight into a Low Wattage Amp
Nick Jaffe Demonstrates Tribute Series ASAT Special

:ugeek:

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

return the ASAT Special I bought recently because they just couldn't get the frets right

What do you mean? Who is "they"?

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:22 am

Ray Barbee Music wrote:
return the ASAT Special I bought recently because they just couldn't get the frets right

What do you mean? Who is "they"?

Sorry, I was in the mindset that I was going to append this to my other thread and left out some info here. It was a 2007 ASAT Special I bought used at a Guitar Center in another city. Condition was supposed to be great which it was cosmetically but the frets were pretty flat and they agreed to have a level crown done to it. That came out pretty good except they couldn't seem to get the frets above the 12th right. The tech said there was a hump at the high end of the neck. After taking it back three times after the initial leveling I gave up and returned it.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:24 pm

They need a new tech then, but I'd say that is true for nearly 100% of guitar centers anyway. They don't pay those guys much, and techs who really know their stuff generally wont work for that.

IF there is a hump in the end, which is a frequent issue, then you level so that you eliminate it and that is that. When you evaluate it (as a tech), you should have a pretty good idea whether there is enough fret there to eliminate it and add enough fallaway w/out a refret or not. If you took it back 3 times and he couldn't get it right, he shouldn't be working on frets.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Could we get a little more insight on this question? I too am thinking about getting a Fallout to pair with my ASAT Special, I think this combo has a chance at covering all of my tonal needs, but it also has a chance of being kind of redundant.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:47 am

An HB bridge and a large MFD bridge will not be redundant. The large MFD in the bridge is a bigger, hotter single coil sound (and specifically a bigger, hotter MFD sound) and they exhibit substantial clarity. The large MFD's do not share tonal characteristics with humbuckers.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:00 am

Salmon wrote:An HB bridge and a large MFD bridge will not be redundant. The large MFD in the bridge is a bigger, hotter single coil sound (and specifically a bigger, hotter MFD sound) and they exhibit substantial clarity. The large MFD's do not share tonal characteristics with humbuckers.

The JB and MFD bridge pickups would be very different from one another but how would a P90 and MDF in the neck be? Are they very similar to one another? The videos help a little but I'd like to hear first hand from someone who has played both. I really liked the MDF neck for the short time I owned the ASAT Special and would buy that guitar again just for that reason. For bridge pickups I tend to prefer humbuckers though the MDF bridge worked very well for me once I turned the tone down about 25%. Unfortunately there are not any stores around me anymore that carry G&L. The closest one just shut down their store front and seem to be toing the virtual store route.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 pm

MJ Slaughter wrote:.... how would a P90 and MDF in the neck be? Are they very similar to one another? The videos help a little but I'd like to hear first hand from someone who has played both. ...

I have not handled a guitar with a P90 so all I could say would be based on reading and listening.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 pm

The MFDs have, to my ears, a wider frequency range - more bass, more highs - but with a scooped mid. The P90 is a warmer and with more mids. Output is about the same. My preference is the P90.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:The MFDs have, to my ears, a wider frequency range - more bass, more highs - but with a scooped mid. The P90 is a warmer and with more mids. Output is about the same. My preference is the P90.

This is my impression, as well.

Bill

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:23 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:The MFDs have, to my ears, a wider frequency range - more bass, more highs - but with a scooped mid. The P90 is a warmer and with more mids. Output is about the same. My preference is the P90.

Thanks. That makes sense and is something I can use to make a decision.