"CL" inscription

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:39 am

Who made the "CL" pencil inscription on the neck joints of the old G&Ls? Thanks

Re: "CL" inscription

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Nobody knows. While "CL" is obviously Clarence Leonidas' initials, other explanations are given more credence.

It's a mystery.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:38 pm

It's a great question. I've got an '81 L-1000 with "CL" stamped in the neck pocket. Leo did use the Initials "CL" around the factory. It's nice to think that Leo Fender may have personally worked on my instrument but when I posed this question several years ago, some rather authoritative figures insisted that it could not possibly have been Leo as he had long since stopped working on production guitars.

I suspect that is accurate but then again, I have yet to get a definitive answer as to wwhat that "CL" means. Crowned and levelled, perhaps? Until someone can provide the answer, there's always the possibility...............

Spyders

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 pm

CL was the initials of one of the final assembly employees. They started using the initials to identify the assembler when a guitar didn't pass the quality control inspection. When this occured, that same employee would have to redo the guitar and in turn lose money if they had opted to be paid by piece work.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm

HLG wrote:CL was the initials of one of the final assembly employees. They started using the initials to identify the assembler when a guitar didn't pass the quality control inspection. When this occured, that same employee would have to redo the guitar and in turn lose money if they had opted to be paid by piece work.

Thanks HGL. You wouldn't happen to know the identity of "CL" would you? I mean what his actual name was, would you?

Spyders