ASAT Z3 Questions

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 am

Does it sound correct that older ASAT Z3 models (say pre-2004 or so) didn't have the pull/push tone pot that current models do which allows for more pickup combinations? If that's the case, does anyone know if those older pickups can be wired to a new, installed pull/push pot to bring the capabilities up to current level without a lot of headache? Anybody knows if G&L sells that pot (I'll have a look at the website, but will ask here while I'm at it).

Also, the Z3 pickups are noiseless?

Thanks much.

Re: ASAT Z3 Questions

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 am

yes they are noiseless, yes you can install a new pot, a push pull is a huge pain to use effectively, a push push is far more usable. you can get either at allparts.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:22 pm

reevus wrote:Does it sound correct that older ASAT Z3 models (say pre-2004 or so) didn't have the pull/push tone pot that current models do which allows for more pickup combinations? If that's the case, does anyone know if those older pickups can be wired to a new, installed pull/push pot to bring the capabilities up to current level without a lot of headache? Anybody knows if G&L sells that pot (I'll have a look at the website, but will ask here while I'm at it).

Thanks much.

Yes, the early ASAT Z-3 models did not have the expander switch (or pull/push pot). Here' s a picture of the wiring for the current ASAT Z-3 and Will Ray Signature model:

No, the push/pull pot is not available from the G&L On-Line store. You might check with a local G&L dealer and see if they can get one for you.

Yes, the Z-coils are noiseless. here's a photo of them with the cover off:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Alternatively, you could use a toggle (double pole, double throw).
Look at the pic on the GLDP home page, where a switch is fitted between the pots. Although I do suggest you think about placing it a little nearer the tone pot, and not just mathematically in the middle of the two - if you roll your knobs round with your pinky, you'll find you don't need to access the "neck" side of the knobs, just the "tail" sides. So give your volume-pinky some room. I'm only talking about a few millimetres, but it all helps.

The Z-3 is a great thing. It is my "desert island" electric, no contest.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Craig wrote:
reevus wrote:Does it sound correct that older ASAT Z3 models (say pre-2004 or so) didn't have the pull/push tone pot that current models do which allows for more pickup combinations? If that's the case, does anyone know if those older pickups can be wired to a new, installed pull/push pot to bring the capabilities up to current level without a lot of headache? Anybody knows if G&L sells that pot (I'll have a look at the website, but will ask here while I'm at it).

Thanks much.

Yes, the early ASAT Z-3 models did not have the expander switch (or pull/push pot). Here' s a picture of the wiring for the current ASAT Z-3 and Will Ray Signature model:

No, the push/pull pot is not available from the G&L On-Line store. You might check with a local G&L dealer and see if they can get one for you.

Yes, the Z-coils are noiseless. here's a photo of them with the cover off:

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA).

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks all for the comments and info - a big help.

Steve P.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 am

Update regarding push/pull pots: they are now available from the G&L On-Line Store.