Jerry Cantrell

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:39 am

I have just been reading about the Jerry Cantrell SuperHawk thread. I don't know if it was meant to be funny. but it made me laugh out loud. I also though about the Jerry Rampage custom shop model. You know the one with the good looking woman painted on it .
Anyway I know they are limited but I cannot see why they are so expensive. Can anyone tell me , I bet they didn't sell many.
Having said that I would love one.
Anthony

Re: Jerry Cantrell

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:26 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:Anyway I know they are limited but I cannot see why they are so expensive. Can anyone tell me
Anthony

My guess? Guitar Royaties.

WR

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Apparently the artist who did the original photo for "Oui" magazine wanted (and got) a kings ransom in royalties. The girl Juanita Dale Slusher AKA "Candy Barr"
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Barr
is a rock 'n roll story unto herself. An interesting read for sure. My favorite part "In 1975, Oui magazine paid the 41-year-old grandmother $5,000 to pose nude."
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unsafe link changed to non-clickable link

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 pm

helle-man wrote:
LeoF The Champion wrote:Anyway I know they are limited but I cannot see why they are so expensive. Can anyone tell me
Anthony

My guess? Guitar Royaties.

WR

Which is why Will is so filthy rich, LOL! :happy0007:

Always good to hear from you, Will. Any plans to make it up to the Pacific Northwest? I could really use an inspirational clinic!

Bill

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 am

Boogie Bill wrote:

Always good to hear from you, Will. Any plans to make it up to the Pacific Northwest? I could really use an inspirational clinic!

Bill
[/quote][/quote]

Hey Bill.
For some reason G&L isn't doing clinics anymore. Too bad. I miss the Pacific Northwest area. A lot of good pickers and G&L fans out there.
Cheers.
Will

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:14 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Apparently the artist who did the original photo for "Oui" magazine wanted (and got) a kings ransom in royalties. The girl Juanita Dale Slusher AKA "Candy Barr"
Code:
is a rock 'n roll story unto herself. An interesting read for sure. My favorite part "In 1975, Oui magazine paid the 41-year-old grandmother $5,000 to pose nude."

You are mistaken. Alain Aslan’s famous pin-up featured on Jerry's Rampage Limited Edition appeared as it appeared in the June 1973 issue of ‘Oui’ and most importantly is a drawing not a photo. So it just cannot be Candy Barr (and she doesn't really look like it either).

- Jos

Important: the link goes to the home page of Alain's adult section of his website, with a non-nudity page at the entrance. So to find the pin-up, you'll have to navigate yourself to find the proper page (go to the pin-up section, select English version, select 1973, and find June) And I trust you are over 18!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:You are mistaken. Alain Aslan’s famous pin-up featured on Jerry's Rampage Limited Edition appeared as it appeared in the June 1973 issue of ‘Oui’ and most importantly is a drawing not a photo. So it just cannot be Candy Barr (and she doesn't really look like it either).

- Jos

Important: the link goes to the home page of Alain's adult section of his website, with a non-nudity page at the entrance. So to find the pin-up, you'll have to navigate yourself to find the proper page (go to the pin-up section, select English version, select 1973, and find June) And I trust you are over 18!

I stand corrected on the history. Thank you Jos. The facts remain that originator of the art asked for and received a large royalty for the work.

As far as the Blue Dress girl not looking like Candy Baar, I thought they were one in the same, judging from the faces. That said, that isn't erm, the Blue Dress girls most prominent feature! :)

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:The facts remain that originator of the art asked for and received a large royalty for the work.

Can believe that! Destitute musician cuts out your Intellectual Property from some magazine he might not even have bought himself, pastes it on guitar and schleps it around. Not much you can do about that as original artist. After all, you did sell the rights to the magazine.

But when said musician has become world famous and some guitar company wants to reissue his signature guitar but now officially adorned with your artwork, the rights have to be reacquired all over again and it's a whole new ballgame! I can imagine that he insisted getting his 'fair share' ...
JagInTheBag wrote:As far as the Blue Dress girl not looking like Candy Baar, I thought they were one in the same, judging from the faces. That said, that isn't erm, the Blue Dress girls most prominent feature! :)

:happy0007:

- Jos

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:57 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:Apparently the artist who did the original photo for "Oui" magazine wanted (and got) a kings ransom in royalties. The girl Juanita Dale Slusher AKA "Candy Barr"
Code:

You are mistaken. Alain Aslan’s famous pin-up featured on Jerry's Rampage Limited Edition appeared as it appeared in the June 1973 issue of ‘Oui’ and most importantly is a drawing not a photo. So it just cannot be Candy Barr (and she doesn't really look like it either).

- Jos

I bought a copy of Oui from June 1973 and was disappointed to find the blue dress girl is NOT in it. The pinup featured is listed as May 1969 on his website, making me think the dates are mixed up. Does anyone know what issue the blue dress girl is featured in or where I can find a high quality digital copy?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 am

sbeck206 wrote:
I bought a copy of Oui from June 1973 and was disappointed to find the blue dress girl is NOT in it. The pinup featured is listed as May 1969 on his website, making me think the dates are mixed up. Does anyone know what issue the blue dress girl is featured in or where I can find a high quality digital copy?

There is another French magazine 'Lui' , that it must be in.
I also was disappointed when I bought a June '73 Oui.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:11 am

Elwood wrote:I also was disappointed when I bought a June '73 Oui.

Ha!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:51 am

The limited edition Jerry Cantrell "Blue Dress" Rampage made by the G&L Custom Shop was limited to only 50 made and numbered worldwide. Jerry can be seen playing serial number 1 of 50 at G&L in Fullerton, CA. in a video on the G&L Guitars website and I believe he owns number 1 and maybe a couple more, though I'm not sure which ones out of the 50 they are. They've all been sold immediately after going on sale, the only way you'd get one now is buying it from someone willing to part with it. Royalties played a big part, The artist who painted the girl got paid to recreate his original work, and the 3 "ROCK" stickers that Jerry put on the original Blue Dress Rampage came from radio station KISW in Seattle, they were not included on the limited edition Blue Dress because KISW I believe was asking too much in royalties and did not get them, hence the reason they're not included on the guitars. I have seen # 3 of 50, and # 14 of 50 up for sale at different times. Not every one of the 50 were actually signed by Jerry on the back of the headstock, and I have seen # 9 of 50 with actual finish damage from either the clear coat or the paint splitting. I would love to own one of the 50 Blue Dress models, but I'm not paying the prices I've seen them sell for. I settled on the G&L USA Jerry Cantrell Signature Rampage and that's good enough for me. \m/

Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:33 am

Saw Alice in Chains in OK this year and was able to snag a couple of picks from Jerry which led me to want to make a display for them with the Blue Dress girl which led me here.

Multiple sites note that the original graphic came from the French magazine, Oui. As others, here, have pointed out, that is incorrect.

The correct magazine is Lui June 1973. It is the page immediately after the centerfold. I picked up a copy and unfortunately, on the one I snagged, there is a slight vertical print error on the pin-up. I am not sure if that is unique to the copy I got or if it is present in all copies, but at the very least, I can verify that is the correct magazine.

Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:11 am

Art Andrews,
Yes you are correct and I have seen copies of the magazine. Fortunately for me, I found the original print of the blue dress girl photo and had it made into multiple copies of vinyl stickers. \m/