ASAT Classic Questions

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm a new forum member. First post, thanks for having me.

Are most of the newer model ASAT Classics made with Alder instead of Ash?

I have an ASAT Classic with an Ash body. Approximate weight of the guitar is 8.6lbs. I bought it used and read through the FAQ section a well as the Knowledgebase and Registry.

Since you need to remove the neck to determine the age of the guitar, which I do not plan to do, and the body of mine is made of Ash, would this be an indication that mine is an older model?

Re: ASAT Classic Questions

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

zyx345 wrote:I'm a new forum member. First post, thanks for having me.

Are most of the newer model ASAT Classics made with Alder instead of Ash?

I have an ASAT Classic with an Ash body. Approximate weight of the guitar is 8.6lbs. I bought it used and read through the FAQ section a well as the Knowledgebase and Registry.

Since you need to remove the neck to determine the age of the guitar, which I do not plan to do, and the body of mine is made of Ash, would this be an indication that mine is an older model?

Welcome to our website!

The body finish usually determines the body wood. Per the G&L website: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on all Premier finishes. I say usually, because you can order an Alder body with a Premier finish or a Swamp Ash body with a Standard finish. The type of wood an ASAT Classic has does not determine the age of the instrument.

If the serial number is in the format of:
G0xxxxx, it was built in 1990 to 1997,
CLxxxxx, it was built in 1997 to 1998,
CLFxxxxx, it was built in 1998 to present.

Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I noticed that my ASAT Classic has Sperzel tuners however the newer ASATs appear to have G&L branded Schaller tuners. Was there a specific time period when they changed over from Sperzels to G&L branded tuners?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:40 pm

It seems to me that G&L was using Sperzels in the early nineties. Non-lockers on ASAT's, lockers on S-500's. I'm not sure about other models. Is your guitar a 3-bolt or 4-bolt neck? That will tell you about whether it was before or after 1998. G&L's switched to 4-bolt necks some time in 1997. The serial number formats that Craig posted will also get you into the rough range. BTW: If it's the 3-bolt, and has a factory aluminum pickguard, it'll be one of the earlier model Classics, and could have come out of the factory when Leo Fender was still around. FWIW2U