Question about finishes

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:53 pm

I have been thinking about getting myself a G&L ASAT Special and I have a quick question regarding the finishing options. From previous experiences I have prefered Swamp Ash as body wood in a guitar, but I really don't like the finishing options that are available with Swamp Ash.

So I'm basically wondering if there's any chance to order a Swamp Ash with any of the standard finishes? While I'm at it, if I custom order a G&L from say ProGuitarShop, aprox. how long is the build time?

Sorry if my english is off, not my first language.

Thanks in advance!
/samuel

Re: Question about finishes

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 pm

slamcityjam wrote:So I'm basically wondering if there's any chance to order a Swamp Ash with any of the standard finishes?

Hey Samuel,
I'm not entirely sure but I think so. There are enough examples on G&L's finishes of swamp ash with standard finish.

slamcityjam wrote:While I'm at it, if I custom order a G&L from say ProGuitarShop, aprox. how long is the build time?

That can vary quite a bit. If you're lucky, there might be a guitar in your exact configuration ready to roll. But it might also take a couple of months if you are unlucky with the production schedule. The couple of times I custom ordered an instrument, it took typically 6-8 weeks for them to come in. Just keep looking around online to see if a store has something to your liking. I have also bought many G&L's 'unseen' from places like Buffalo Brothers and have never been disappointed! Also realize some stores carry more instruments than they list on their website. So you might just give them a call and ask them about their inventory.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 pm

slamcityjam wrote:I have been thinking about getting myself a G&L ASAT Special and I have a quick question regarding the finishing options. From previous experiences I have prefered Swamp Ash as body wood in a guitar, but I really don't like the finishing options that are available with Swamp Ash.

So I'm basically wondering if there's any chance to order a Swamp Ash with any of the standard finishes? While I'm at it, if I custom order a G&L from say ProGuitarShop, aprox. how long is the build time?

Sorry if my english is off, not my first language.

Thanks in advance!
/samuel

For the USA model ASAT Special, any of the Standard finishes are included on an Alder body. You can special order any of the Premier finishes which includes the Swamp Ash body. Check with your local dealer for the upcharge and the build time.

For the Tribute model ASAT Special, you are limited to what is listed on the G&L website. But, always check with your dealer to see if any new or additional finishes might have been recently added and have not yet been updated on the G&L website.

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for that information. What about neck finishes? What is standard on the "default" necks? On PGS the only options available are "natural gloss", "gun oil" and "birdseye maple". I want a neck with satin finish...