2012 Special Collection NENA finish?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 am

Does anyone own (or tried) one of the instruments from the 2012 special collection line? I have played and currently own alot of G&L's (my brother is a dealer) but ordered one of these (Asat Classic S) without playing first since he didn't have one in stock. Really excited about getting this guitar and was looking for feedback especially on the NENA finish. Can you feel the wood grain through the finish? Can't wait to twang on this thing. I have been playin and teachin guitar for 25 years and G&L is one of the few companies i would dare order from without playing the instrument first.

Re: 2012 Special Collection NENA finish?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:54 am

Birdswamp, I have an Equatorial Mahogany Bluesboy that was built 3 weeks ago. It also has a very thin, satin finished in fact it almost looks unfinished. I don't know if this is the same exact process as what you have ordered, but I asked some questions and here is the answer from Craig and Steve on my question.

Craig wrote:

darwinohm wrote:Craig, having just received the Equatorial Mahogany
satin finish BB, the question is how do we clean/preserve these woods. The wood is sealed
but very porous and I would be concerned about applying wax or oil. Does the factory have
a recommendation on this and would it be something that should be posted here?
Thanks in advance.-- Darwin

I will check with the guys at the factory to see what care is needed to
clean/preserve this body wood.

Stay tuned.

Craig

Here is Steve's reply:

The natural satin on the Equatorial Mahogany models starts with 2 coats of
Watco Natural Oil and then a top coat of the same clear satin finish used on the neck.
There should be very little, if any maintenance to do over the long-term with these
instrument. I would suggest not using an oil on the body since the clear satin will
not allow the oil to penetrate the wood and you could end up with any oil sitting on
the surface. The surface of the finish will prove to be very durable.

The grain on the Equatorial Mahogany is very open and the guitar almost feels unfinished although you can see that it is sealed. It resonates beautifully unplugged. It is also light mostly due to the wood but the thin finish also contributes to that. As I said, I not sure that this is the same process but I would bet that it is similar to the Naked look. Here is a photo of it. I hope that someone can post a photo of one like you asked about.-- Darwin

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:37 am

wow beautiful guitar Darwinohm! thanks for the info!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 am

maybe Craig and Steve can shed a little light on the NENA process as compared to your finish. I have seen the 2012 special collection ads and pics but would love to know more about the NENA finish.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm

birdswamp wrote:maybe Craig and Steve can shed a little light on the NENA process as compared to your finish. I have seen the 2012 special collection ads and pics but would love to know more about the NENA finish.

I cannot provide any more details other then what I posted in the announcement post because
the technique/process is proprietary. I own the actual ASAT Classic S which is shown in the Ads
and it is a superb instrument. The description of the finish is spot on in that post. And, yes, you
can feel the wood grain. I am sure you will not be disappointed once you get yours. :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes it does help and thank you for the info. I can't wait to receive this guitar.