What can Brown do for you? (NGD of some sort)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm

What can Brown do for me? Well, getting my parcel in one piece and undamaged to my door would be a good start. For the first time, after receiving tens of guitars through parcel services, today was a first in that the box and the contents were damaged. This is what the box looked like:
ImageImage
:confused0007: But this is what the case looked like that came out of the box:
ImageImage
Uh oh! :thumbdown: The wood is splintered and broken. It is clear some object landed with some pointy end down on the box with a considerable force. Any damage inside? In all honesty, the case seemed to have done its job fairly well. It took me a while and a tape measure to find the trouble spot:
ImageImage
A slight dent in the fretboard between frets 18 and 19 and a G- and B-string that have discernible kinks in them such that the pitch doesn't change if you move between the frets. I trust a fresh set of strings will solve that and hope there is no other hidden structural damage (truss rod, heel etc.).

Now, what guitar is it that got maltreated not withstanding the 'FRAGILE' warning on the box? I wouldn't worry about it at all if it was any production guitar. Unfortunately, it is this one:
Yup, 'The Wrangler' in what I suspect is a surplus case from the C.L.F. Centennial ASAT series. A truly 1-of-1 for sure! Fortunately, Eric Martin of Martin Guitars is helping me out to make this right and I have all confidence Brown will be able to do something for me (and Eric).

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What can Brown do for you? (NGD of some sort)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Sorry to hear, Jos. I really hope its superficial, though it sounds like there's a problem if the pitch of the note isn't changing from fret to fret.

Please can we have a picture of the John Jorgenson Sig ASAT in that case :)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:33 pm

more than liely a fret level and dress (replek) is needed. when the frets get hit like that, they sink into the body more. of course that will change the fret height, so really a refret is the only way it is made back to the same.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Sorry to hear, Jos. I really hope its superficial, though it sounds like there's a problem if the pitch of the note isn't changing from fret to fret.

Thanks Jamie. I will try to get a picture done of the JJ in its camouflaged foxhole. If worst comes to worst and I have to hand them the case (which I will argue about as long as I do not know for sure G&L still has some in stock and Eric can fetch me one), I'll use my C.L.F. Centennial case to satisfy your fancy :D

louis cyfer wrote:more than liely a fret level and dress (replek) is needed. when the frets get hit like that, they sink into the body more. of course that will change the fret height, so really a refret is the only way it is made back to the same.

That what my worry is too. I first have to wait for the damage inspection guy because I can start any remedial kind of stuff. If it really hit [u]between[/i] the frets and the strings were pinched to cause the kinks, all it might take is a fresh set. If either fret 18 or 19 got hit proper, a refret would be needed. BTW, I assume only those 2 frets need to be addressed or were you thinking about the whole neck? Talk about the whole neck, my other worry is that the truss rod got damaged or there is some other hidden damage underneath.

- Jos

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:01 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Sorry to hear, Jos. I really hope its superficial, though it sounds like there's a problem if the pitch of the note isn't changing from fret to fret.

Thanks Jamie. I will try to get a picture done of the JJ in its camouflaged foxhole. If worst comes to worst and I have to hand them the case (which I will argue about as long as I do not know for sure G&L still has some in stock and Eric can fetch me one), I'll use my C.L.F. Centennial case to satisfy your fancy :D

louis cyfer wrote:more than liely a fret level and dress (replek) is needed. when the frets get hit like that, they sink into the body more. of course that will change the fret height, so really a refret is the only way it is made back to the same.

That what my worry is too. I first have to wait for the damage inspection guy because I can start any remedial kind of stuff. If it really hit [u]between[/i] the frets and the strings were pinched to cause the kinks, all it might take is a fresh set. If either fret 18 or 19 got hit proper, a refret would be needed. BTW, I assume only those 2 frets need to be addressed or were you thinking about the whole neck? Talk about the whole neck, my other worry is that the truss rod got damaged or there is some other hidden damage underneath.

- Jos

might be able to address only those frets, unless the wood got indented under them. that would require re-radiusing the whole neck surface (my tech does that anyway on full refrets) to get all the frets seated level. the neck should be examined for any twist or truss rod issue by an expert as well. there are many repairs possible, but those would be repairs, decreasing the value, not making it as new.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:01 am

Jos, what a bummer to have damage to such special guitar. You are fortunate that only the neck is damaged. If there is just a slight depression in the wood it could probably be steamed out. Hope you have some success in settling with Brown. Then you can get on with the assessment and repair. That is a work of art!-- Darwin

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am

"a G- and B-string that have discernible kinks in them such that the pitch doesn't change if you move between the frets"

I know you're probably waiting for the adjuster before changing the strings, but I would carefully remove the B & G strings and put some fresh ones on just so that you can determine if in fact the guitar needs fret work, before the adjuster arrives. You can always put the kinked strings back on again before he arrives. But now is the time for you to determine how playable the guitar is, so that you know what damages to ask for.

Great guitar, BTW!

My 2¢

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

helle-man wrote:"a G- and B-string that have discernible kinks in them such that the pitch doesn't change if you move between the frets"

I know you're probably waiting for the adjuster before changing the strings, but I would carefully remove the B & G strings and put some fresh ones on just so that you can determine if in fact the guitar needs fret work, before the adjuster arrives. You can always put the kinked strings back on again before he arrives. But now is the time for you to determine how playable the guitar is, so that you know what damages to ask for.

Great guitar, BTW!

My 2¢

that is good advice.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 pm

helle-man wrote:"a G- and B-string that have discernible kinks in them such that the pitch doesn't change if you move between the frets"

Great guitar, BTW!

My 2¢

Thanks for the tip Will. I replaced the B-string and it was clear the string was buzzing on the 19th fret when fretted at the 18th. So yes, fretwork is necessary. I didn't even replace the G-string. And I was able after a fair amount of patiently working the old string to get that thing on again. But lo and behold, the kink ended up exactly where it was before. OK, that should be expected ;)

I'm corresponding with Eric Martin on what will happen next. He has been able to secure another CCD case so that is great news! I'll keep all y'all up to dat when there are new developments.

Thanks everybody for all your concerns.

- Jos

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear this happened, Jos!

I no longer let guitars or basses be shipped to my house after UPS left one lying in my driveway. Fortunately it was on my side of the driveway, or my wife would have driven right over it (possibly by accident). Now everything goes to a FedEx store for pickup!

Ken

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Please can we have a picture of the John Jorgenson Sig ASAT in that case :)

Your wish is my command, Sir!
Look! There is a guitar hidden underneath these black large MFDs!

- Jos

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Wow...that's an extreme combo,

The case should have a couple sets of these hanging on it ...

...Safety First !! :thumbup:

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 am

What a bummer to have happen on such ''special guitar!, getting back to the string thing, I've had that prob with the G string not fretting
up scale from first fret to second and it was just a kink so hopefully that is your prob, but I would make them pay big for the stress level
haha...hope everything is OK with that great axe?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Just a short update: I'm waiting for UPS to pick up the guitar so they can do their investigation. Martin Music Guitars will request to have it sent back to them for repairs.

- Jos

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Since this thread seems to have become a kind of diary on what's happening to 'The Wrangler', lets add the entry for the 20th of September which was a very eventful day. NOT! I stayed home from work to make sure the parcel would be handed off to the driver properly and I would be able to point out the outside damage to the box. But nobody came by, just like yesterday when I came home 3 hours earlier for the same purpose. What an amazing waste of my time! If it weren't for being able to VPN into my computer at work I would be seriously tempted to charge them for lost labor too.

Oh well.

- Jos

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 pm

That sucks Jos! I hope they get their <censored word> together and actually do something.

Why is it always the front of guitars that get damaged? You never see stuff like this where the outcome is a busted case but just a small ding in the back on the body. Not fair!!!!

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:That sucks Jos! I hope they get their <censored word> together and actually do something.

Why is it always the front of guitars that get damaged? You never see stuff like this where the outcome is a busted case but just a small ding in the back on the body. Not fair!!!!

It's like a buttered sandwich that always seems to land face down (see the IgNobel Physics award for 1996). Maybe there is a research paper hidden in all of this mess.

- Jos

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Just received a status update from Eric martin. In addition to having received a new CCD case from G&L, 'The Wrangler' has been repaired and plays perfect! He provided the following picture:

We'll have to wait for UPS the inspect the guiatr and than it will be shipped back to me.

- Jos

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Great news Jos, the pickguard is spectacular.-- Darwin

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

NGD, kind of. Just got the Wrangler back in tip-top shape with the correct case, and T-shirt to boot. Yippie!! :happy0065:

- Jos