Difference in pickup position of the ASAT Classic vs Tribute

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Was there ever an answer to the difference in the neck pickup position of the USA ASAT Classic vs. the Tribute?

Here's the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4094

Thanks,
Kate

Re: Difference in pickup position of the ASAT Classic vs Tri

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:54 am

My guess is probably a coincidence, the difference in sound would be minimal.
I would disregard that detail.

Cheers
L-zr

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:17 am

I have both a USA classic and a Trib classic, it seems the trib is a little muddy compared to the USA, but could be the body wood as
my USA is a Monkeypod/east indian walnut?, love the sound it puts out, and the trib is swamp ash.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 pm

fraidykat wrote:Was there ever an answer to the difference in the neck pickup position of the USA ASAT Classic vs. the Tribute?

Here's the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4094

Thanks,
Kate

I believe the reason is because the Indonesia factory already had tooling setup for Tele style bodies and
G&L choose to use that without any modification.

:ugeek:

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:08 am

huck wrote:I have both a USA classic and a Trib classic, it seems the trib is a little muddy compared to the USA, but could be the body wood as
my USA is a Monkeypod/east indian walnut?, love the sound it puts out, and the trib is swamp ash.

the pickup position is gonna make a much bigger difference than the body wood.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:27 am

Notes that are played as harmonics will speak differently, for sure, with different neck pickup placement, when using the neck pickup on its own; however, that's never the favourite choice for harmonics because the pickup will always be so near the null points in the string's vibration, and the bridge selection works much better. If a harmonic speaks softly with the neck pickup, its warmer neck-pup sound will also drop out of the "both pups" selection, resulting in a thinner response to that harmonic. You just have to see what you prefer; I do personally find the USA Asat better, and similarly the USA version of the Fender Jerry Donahue tele, which has a similar placement for the same reason.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:46 am

louis cyfer wrote:
huck wrote:I have both a USA classic and a Trib classic, it seems the trib is a little muddy compared to the USA, but could be the body wood as

the pickup position is gonna make a much bigger difference than the body wood.

By position,do you mean the hight? they are both set at the same hight on the neck pup and on the neck only setting there is
a minimal differents between the two guitars but there is a difference, or are you talking about one being closer to the fretboard
than the other?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am

I hadn't thought of that; was assuming the question was about position along the length of the string, and not the pup height.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 pm

NickHorne wrote:I hadn't thought of that; was assuming the question was about position along the length of the string, and not the pup height.

i think that is what the whole thread was about. i think pup position and pup height are clearly 2 different things, i am not sure how they get confused.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Sorry, I've been OOT for a few days.

I wondered why the Tribute pickup is closer to the fretboard than the USA version.
I see that Craig answered it above.

Thanks for the discussion, though.
I always learn something on this board.

Kate :thumbup: