Neck finish recommendation

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm looking for advice because it's hard to find a good comparison of neck finishes.

I'm ordering a G&L and I'd like a nice in-between tint for a maple neck. The glossy gun-oil necks are too yellow, and the standard satin necks seems too white. :?: So, do you think a satin finish with gun-oil tint would yeild a not too yellow, not too white kinda color?

Thanks!

Re: Neck finish recommendation

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:50 am

How about a few pics for comparison ?

ASAT Deluxe, maple board, birds eye neck with gun oil, gloss finish

ASAT Classic Custom, maple board, birds eye neck with satin finish

This one is from a Bluesboy with a birds eye neck and a rosewood board

Don't have a neck shot only of a non birds eye neck but here is one of an S500 with a rosewood board, the neck is far paler than the Bluesboy with rosewood board and birds eye neck. The Bluesboy above might be closest to what you are looking for ?

Not sure if that helps but it might give you an idea.

Paul

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:54 pm

In fact, they seem to be all over the place. You should make sure you see what you are buying ahead of time if you can...
I have see everything from Cheetos orange Gun oil to bone white satin from G&L. All within just those two options.
not sure why they seem to be so inconsistent, except maybe it is just the nature of wood and it's ability to take up the tint.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 pm

keep in mind that white satin necks are going to darken the more you play them over the years.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

ieso wrote:keep in mind that white satin necks are going to darken the more you play them over the years.

Yes, but the real question is what will the tinted necks look like over time? will they darken as well?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Marty wrote:In fact, they seem to be all over the place. You should make sure you see what you are buying ahead of time if you can...
I have see everything from Cheetos orange Gun oil to bone white satin from G&L. All within just those two options.
not sure why they seem to be so inconsistent, except maybe it is just the nature of wood and it's ability to take up the tint.

I believe the factory had addressed this inconsistency some time before 2009. See this link about TGN for more info.

Hope this helps.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Craig wrote:
Marty wrote:In fact, they seem to be all over the place. You should make sure you see what you are buying ahead of time if you can...

I believe the factory had addressed this inconsistency some time before 2009. See this link about TGN for more info.

Hope this helps.

Ahh, I see. So they are no longer "hand rubbed" gun oil tint. My brother has an earlier one on his bluesboy and it is "orange" not in a bad way, and it is a stellar instrument.

But the question remains, how will the tinted necks look in the years to come. They didn't tint like this back in the day, and these necks were made to look "aged" out of the box so we have no examples of what a tinted neck will do in 30-40 years...

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Hmmm, dunno. The oldest one I have with that old gun oil gloss tint is about 7 or 8 years old. AFAIK, it looks the same. But who knows, it may be darker. But, either way, it looks terrific.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Marty wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Ahh, I see. So they are no longer "hand rubbed" gun oil tint. My brother has an earlier one on his bluesboy and it is "orange" not in a bad way, and it is a stellar instrument.

But the question remains, how will the tinted necks look in the years to come. They didn't tint like this back in the day, and these necks were made to look "aged" out of the box so we have no examples of what a tinted neck will do in 30-40 years...

For the Gloss finished necks, I would not think they will change much, if at all. I don't know about the satin finished tinted necks, though. They might change over time. I'll let you know how my SC-2's neck looks in 2040 ;)

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm

I've grabbed maple necks without the birdseye option (except one) that had some figure or "bone" to them naturally.

And go with the the satin (almost a semi-gloss) urethane finish. Play if for at least 6 months; see how you like it. Then I use Meguiar's Scratch X and gradually bump up the gloss until I hit that sweet spot. This also disguises the natural polishing that use brings to some portions of the neck. Mask the ebony or rosewood board.

I'm quite sure all the urethanes will amber some - no matter what the chemical engineers put in there, exposure to light, any form of light will shift the color more amber. Take off the tuners and take a look if you doubt it. I really like the way the satin clear ambers on a somewhat figured piece of maple, 5 years post delivery, with some polishing of the "satin".

Bubbanov